[App] Power Switch - screen off by closing case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
Guys, im the developer of Power Switch, an app that switches off your tablet's screen when you shut the case.

The main thread can be found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1277712

Ive had reports of problems with the tab's light sensor, so would appreciate some debugging feedback.

You can use the lite version to test, it has all the features, but just wont save as much juice.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to reply here or in the main thread, i read both regularly!

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Let me know if the light sensor work properly please!

Tivo7

Sep 12, 2011
SystemUI.apk
Works great on my tab too. Thanks mate.

Edit: I noticed on my phone after testing it on and off a few times, the light sensor stopped working. But after rebooting, I havent seen the problem since.

And I've yet to see a problem on my tab.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
So the light sensor works? Can you log some sensitivity settings for me so i can fine tune it...

Tivo7

Sep 12, 2011
SystemUI.apk
So the light sensor works? Can you log some sensitivity settings for me so i can fine tune it...

Like in different lighting settings? Like dimming the lights in the room? Or using different Sensitivity %s and closing the case?
Or all of the above?

Oh and after some extensive use on my DroidX, I've been having some problems. It turns off while I'm using the phone even in very lighted surroundings.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

I'm at work right now but I tried a few things.

I'm using a Belkin Folio case and i tested to see how low i could set the % for it to read when the case was closed.

Anything under 10% didn't work (even when i completely covered the light sensor with my finger)

On 100%, even a shadow over the sensor would trigger it.

I'll try a few different lighting instances when I get home.

Last edited:

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
You should be using the proximity sensor, not the light sensor for the phone!

Tivo7

Sep 12, 2011
SystemUI.apk
Actually...to be honest, I dont even need it on my phone because its a habit of mine to hit the power button as im setting it down or putting it in my pocket.

I do love it on my tab though. Makes it easier just being able to close my case instead of trying to find the power button lol.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Disable admin permissions or click the uninstall button. Man, som people...

Reactions: Tivo7

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
The best ones are the Oles that leave market reviews claiming its "some kind of scam"...

joseph168

Sep 19, 2011
Could you help me how to configure it n make it work? Mine seem not work. Duno how. Im using pro

Sent from my GT-P7500 using XDA Premium App

Tivo7

Sep 12, 2011
SystemUI.apk
Could you help me how to configure it n make it work? Mine seem not work. Duno how. Im using pro

Do you have "Enable Power Switch" Checked?

EDIT: If you're using a tablet with a case that covers the screen when you close it, here's what you need...

1. Check "Enable Power Switch"
2. Check "Admin Permissions" (this gives the app permission to lock your screen or turn the tablet off)
3. Check "Enable Sensors"
4. Check "Use Light Sensors" (I recommend 10-20% Sensitivity)
5. Set up your Confirmation and Activation Delay.
---Activation Delay is how long it takes for the device to read if the case is closed or not. (If you set it to 0 seconds, your screen will cut off even if you simply brush something up against the light sensor on accident) I keep mine at 3 seconds.
---Confirmation Delay starts after you Activation Delay ends. It is a confirmation dialogue box that asks what you want to do. Once the timer for it runs out, it will lock your screen/turn the screen off. (I keep mine at 3 seconds for this as well but you might want it longer)

To recap...Set Activation Delay for how long you want the device to wait before it makes a decision if it should turn off your screen or not. Set Confirmation Delay for how long you want it to wait after the Activation Delay ends to actually turn off the screen.

((If you don't have a case that covers the screen and you want it to turn off when you put your tab upside down, replace step 3 with *Check "Acceleration Sensor"* And make sure you Uncheck "Use Light Sensor"))

Last edited:
Reactions: ftgg99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys, im the developer of Power Switch, an app that switches off your tablet's screen when you shut the case.

The main thread can be found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1277712

Ive had reports of problems with the tab's light sensor, so would appreciate some debugging feedback.

You can use the lite version to test, it has all the features, but just wont save as much juice.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to reply here or in the main thread, i read both regularly!
    Disable admin permissions or click the uninstall button. Man, som people...

Do you have "Enable Power Switch" Checked?

EDIT: If you're using a tablet with a case that covers the screen when you close it, here's what you need...

1. Check "Enable Power Switch"
    2. Check "Admin Permissions" (this gives the app permission to lock your screen or turn the tablet off)
    3. Check "Enable Sensors"
    4. Check "Use Light Sensors" (I recommend 10-20% Sensitivity)
    5. Set up your Confirmation and Activation Delay.
    ---Activation Delay is how long it takes for the device to read if the case is closed or not. (If you set it to 0 seconds, your screen will cut off even if you simply brush something up against the light sensor on accident) I keep mine at 3 seconds.
    ---Confirmation Delay starts after you Activation Delay ends. It is a confirmation dialogue box that asks what you want to do. Once the timer for it runs out, it will lock your screen/turn the screen off. (I keep mine at 3 seconds for this as well but you might want it longer)

To recap...Set Activation Delay for how long you want the device to wait before it makes a decision if it should turn off your screen or not. Set Confirmation Delay for how long you want it to wait after the Activation Delay ends to actually turn off the screen.

((If you don't have a case that covers the screen and you want it to turn off when you put your tab upside down, replace step 3 with *Check "Acceleration Sensor"* And make sure you Uncheck "Use Light Sensor"))
    This app sounds very promising. I have seen TiVo around on the forums but I am waiting for a few more reviews before I download it. I'm not much for beta testing. But thanks man, it's people like you that make android so much fun. Look forward to more reviews here.

Sent from xda premium app
    Hi tivo, thanks for doing my work for me, i havent had a chance to run through the forums this weekend - went to a wedding :)

For those who have problems with the light sensor. It is probably a driver issue with your kernel. Download sensorlist from the market and check what it returns regarding the light sensor.