Why doesn't America get the "best" smartphones?

Search This thread
N

Nabbu

This link takes you to the HTC One X specifications which I read over and thought to myself.."Okay so the united states is only going to get the dual-core version? WHY? Is the quad-core version, 'not safe enough for America', like all the cars from Europe?"
These damn companies are pissing me off by holding back "superior" technology from us here in the states. So wait, we have to wait until we receive the SGS3 that's going to finally give America it's first quad-core smart phone, correct me if I'm wrong, and meanwhile, as per usual, Europe and Asia already HAVE quad core phones and the next step for them is 1080p screens and 2-4GB RAM while America is BARELY starting to suggest the idea of anything so "impossible".
I'm a technology nut and I'm between a rock and a hard place on this because my career is going to be based on smartphone technology for America and we're always 2-steps behind the rest of the world so that leaves me with working on outdated phones and technologies.
Anyone feel stressed about this like me?:eek:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-x/#specs

I'm also mad because I love Samsung technology and this HTC phone has the E4GT beat like a bratty toddler. I love my 4G touch but with those specs I would actually get one without regretting it too..:(
F my life!!

Blacklabel84

Mar 6, 2012
Levant
There is a reason and it has to do with economics and market zones. Each country has a technology release date according to current standards of tech at the time and how much the manufacturer wants to pay the government to put its higher tech out in order to get first dibs on the crazed tech fans money. Its all part of interventionism capitalism. If that is even a term. Of course there are other variables but this is A main reason among many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Febby

May 19, 2010
The only reason the one X in America didn't get the quad core was because the current tegra 3 chipset doesn't support LTE. Don't hold my word to it though... :)

lilotimz

Dec 17, 2011
Sacramento
The other variables are the standards. Europe and most of asia doesn't use our types of networks and radio bands. The only company that uses anything remotely like the rest of the world is ATT and their bands (which is why most people can use unlocked phones on ATT just fine).

Here we have two different CDMA carriers (sprint + verizon) with different 4g standards (wimax vs lte and soon LTE vs LTE on different frequencies) and two different GSM carriers with different base bands (standard bands on ATT while Tmobile uses different ones).

The rest of the world is pretty standardized so that's why it's so fast and easy to release the int'l versions....

Also the carriers don't have enough power or will to tamper with the phones in order to "differentiate" like our carriers because they have to actually COMPETE with each other unlike america..............(look at foreign phone plan prices compared to ours and how fast "3g" is...)

Reactions: maltby84
N

Nabbu

O_O

There is a reason and it has to do with economics and market zones. Each country has a technology release date according to current standards of tech at the time and how much the manufacturer wants to pay the government to put its higher tech out in order to get first dibs on the crazed tech fans money. Its all part of interventionism capitalism. If that is even a term. Of course there are other variables but this is A main reason among many.

As much as I wish and hope and dream that I could understand what you posted;
*hand fly's over my head* I have no idea BUT I do get what your saying but also that doesn't mean that I like it what so ever..I hate this stuff about one nation needs to have a higher tech rating then others.
I say lets all go out and buy the new Nexus2 with it's 1080p super AMOLED+ screen, and the quad-core processor at 1.8GHz and the 2000mah battery, and JELLY BEAN operating system...lol..I'm just talking random non-sense but this is how I keep my brain from going dry. o_O so I'll keep making up stuff that only I can dream up..

N

Nabbu

ahhh!!!

The other variables are the standards. Europe and most of asia doesn't use our types of networks and radio bands. The only company that uses anything remotely like the rest of the world is ATT and their bands (which is why most people can use unlocked phones on ATT just fine).

Here we have two different CDMA carriers (sprint + verizon) with different 4g standards (wimax vs lte and soon LTE vs LTE on different frequencies) and two different GSM carriers with different base bands (standard bands on ATT while Tmobile uses different ones).

The rest of the world is pretty standardized so that's why it's so fast and easy to release the int'l versions....

Also the carriers don't have enough power or will to tamper with the phones in order to "differentiate" like our carriers because they have to actually COMPETE with each other unlike america..............(look at foreign phone plan prices compared to ours and how fast "3g" is...)

I SAY WE PROTEST AGAINST AMERICA'S CARRIERS!!
...but then again I have no idea what I'm talking about.....
Anyway! I still say we should be more like the international carriers here in America because have you compared their bandwidth speeds to ours?
In London their down runs 20+MBps standard/minimum from what I've seen on youtube "speed test" videos. It only gets faster the farther East you go; Tokyo speed tests were running 30MBps+ easy because the people live so close together so the speeds have to be high.
I think were just ripping ourselves off here.
I'm getting a migraine thinking of the unfairness...:eek:

Blacklabel84

Mar 6, 2012
Levant
Pffft bush was a puppet. im a capitalist and ill say that. im a ron paul follower. anyway its the rich in an abstract chaotic global market that put limits to keep market competetition as fair as possible so one company doesnt monopolize.

N

Nabbu

If not bush then ... the Jews?
:rolleyes:
Loool jk fellas

No it wasn't the Jews, I already double checked them in Mein Kampf and Hitler didn't say anything about them screwing America over in smartphone technology.
He did say that Europe(Germany) is going to be the most superior country in the world based on technology, so maybe he meant in smartphones? :p

tecwizrd

Aug 17, 2010
I wonder if the hold companies like Microsoft have on this country has anything to do with the technology mind set in the US. The continued growth of Linux outside the US is teaching more and more people to think freedom when it comes to technology? I have to fight the entrenched mind set everyday.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N

Nabbu

I'm not keen with the political definitions of the day so excuse me if I sound idiotic! ^^
..does that mean that the Government is regulating technology flow?
I would expect something like that to happen since nothing is free anymore and why would you give away something that you could charge for?
Government + technology = delays in technology + lazy Americans = rich international countries with high standard of living and free health care
Why not just create the 8-core processor here in America and leave the rest of the world in the dust like we always have in the past?
I don't even know anymore..

N

Nabbu

I was thinking the same thing..big companies like Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and Microsoft need to be regulated so that smaller, and more reliable, companies can emerge without hindrance or fear of being bought out.

N

Nabbu

hmm

I would rather have the A15 based Dual-core S4 than the A9 based Quad-core Tegra 3.

I agree with you better technology dual-core phones are a good choice but you can't beat the multitasking power and speed of a quad-core.
Imagine the same specs as that dual-core but in a quad-core version. :D
All I'm trying to say is give a man a chance to spend his money for something he ACTUALLY wants and not what the opinion polls have "proven" what America wants next. Ask anyone off the street and they'll say, "What's the difference?", and then you'll explain to them what it is and they'll say, "..of course the quad because the other one is outdated right?".
lol...I'm taking this to seriously..like anyone corporate actually cares. :eek:

Blacklabel84

Mar 6, 2012
Levant
The government tries to regulate tech flow to try to prevent monopolies and to make sure one company isnt too far ahead of the other.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only reason the one X in America didn't get the quad core was because the current tegra 3 chipset doesn't support LTE. Don't hold my word to it though... :)
    If not bush then ... the Jews?
    :rolleyes:
    Loool jk fellas

As a former Jew, I support this wholeheartedly.