NFC Tag Uses

Search This thread

Josolanes

Jul 30, 2012
The little re-writable NFC tags you can get online. What do you use yours for?

I got some MIFARE 1k tags online (5 + 1 keychain) and so far only have 1 of the tags + the keychain NFC programmed:
- 1 to auto login to our wifi, and open unified remote
- the keychain will turn gps on if not on already, sets media and notification volumes as high as they go, and opens Waze. If i tap the tag again, it closes Waze and opens Navigation instead

I use NFC Task Launcher to program and use the tags.

I've got 4 more to be used and am looking for creative uses for them, or really am interested in what everyone else uses them for.

Legato Bluesummers

Sep 22, 2010
Milford MA
I have one to toggle my wifi when i enter or leave my home

One to start my alarm clock app so i can set my alarm before going to bed.

One in my cubicle to start the wifi tether app.

My wife uses one in her car to toggle blue tooth.

I really want to use then with Geocaching (a kind of scavenger hunt with GPS enabled devices). I could hide the tag and set it so when its scanned it gives the GPS coordinates of the next cache. But this would require them to have a samsung device too. Which kinda limits the people that can use it.

--Sent from GlaDos baked potato

Josolanes

Jul 30, 2012

I really want to use then with Geocaching (a kind of scavenger hunt with GPS enabled devices). I could hide the tag and set it so when its scanned it gives the GPS coordinates of the next cache. But this would require them to have a samsung device too. Which kinda limits the people that can use it.

I just added a modified one from your alarm clock one last night as you got me thinking
Mine: sets brightness to lowest, sets phone and notifications to off, sets alarm highest, and turns notification led off. When I tap it again in the morning it sets everything back to normal (auto brightness, etc). I have my alarm set per day where it automatically works so doing the above would just ensure the phone won't bother me at night and if I turn the screen on it won't blind me :p

The various toggles you have are great ideas too. Nice and simply but they make a task a bit easier :)

As for being samsung specific, is it really? I wasn't aware of it. I'm still very new to nfc-tags and everyone else I know has Galaxy Nexus' so of course it works with theirs also :)

The geocaching sounds really cool, definitely something I want to play around with some now :). Is there a site that has the "start" to these or do you just happen to come across them? I've seen people talk about it some, and that it's taken them to really cool places they would have never been before. So I'm very curious about it, sounds fun

Legato Bluesummers

Sep 22, 2010
Milford MA
I thought the tec tile app was Samsung only. But I could be wrong. I don't know anyone else with nfc to test.

Geocaching Started 12 years ago on geocaching.com. Free to create an account. You can download their official app $10 or some of the unofficial ones like c:Geo is a good one. It is simply getting the GPS coordinates of a cache, which the app will handle, and just going out and finding it. Some are in urban places like malls and parking lots (under lamps is a common place). Most are in forests or out of the way areas to deter "muggles" (common folk who aren't supposed to know about the cache. You are supposed to find the cache without people seeing then sign the log to note you were there and the date. Some big caches have take and leave. Might be toys. Books. CDs. Random themed caches. Others are just micro caches (pill bottle or film container) and they only have a log). The wife and I do this for fun. And we always have a great time. Sometimes you get stumped on where to look. The app sometimes lists clues or you can read logs to see if anyone gave hints. Really fun. And great for kids too cause its like a scavenger hunt. And so rewarding when you find them. Sometimes you won't find it. My wife and i have one at a dunkin ddonuts we have tried 6 times to find to no avail. Just keep trying.

Reactions: Josolanes

Josolanes

Jul 30, 2012
I thought the tec tile app was Samsung only. But I could be wrong. I don't know anyone else with nfc to test.

Geocaching Started 12 years ago on geocaching.com. Free to create an account. You can download their official app $10 or some of the unofficial ones like c:Geo is a good one. It is simply getting the GPS coordinates of a cache, which the app will handle, and just going out and finding it. Some are in urban places like malls and parking lots (under lamps is a common place). Most are in forests or out of the way areas to deter "muggles" (common folk who aren't supposed to know about the cache. You are supposed to find the cache without people seeing then sign the log to note you were there and the date. Some big caches have take and leave. Might be toys. Books. CDs. Random themed caches. Others are just micro caches (pill bottle or film container) and they only have a log). The wife and I do this for fun. And we always have a great time. Sometimes you get stumped on where to look. The app sometimes lists clues or you can read logs to see if anyone gave hints. Really fun. And great for kids too cause its like a scavenger hunt. And so rewarding when you find them. Sometimes you won't find it. My wife and i have one at a dunkin ddonuts we have tried 6 times to find to no avail. Just keep trying.

I'm honestly not sure, was mainly curious. So I assume tec tile is a common app for creating a geocache and finding them with?

I'll check out geocaching.com...this sounds like it'd be pretty fun and I'm sure my fiance would enjoy it also while learning about or finding new places :)

Thanks for all the information! I'll definitely try it :)

Legato Bluesummers

Sep 22, 2010
Milford MA
I've never seen a tec tile cache. That's why I'd love to do one. But they'd need to have the app for it to work. Or I guess I could leave coordinates on paper. And a tag they can scan if they have the app. They sre fun. Very fun to do. I hope you enjoy it.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Posting to tag the thread since it gets buried so quickly here.

Tried to request a cancellation on an order including some nfc tags because amazon was going to miss the delivery date, but in a rare show of customer service, probably due to my comment, they overnighted the shipment and it's out for delivery now.

Original delivery was slated for tomorrow, and I had ordered another package of nfc tags with expedited shipping for tomorrow.

Ends up that i'll just have a whole bunch of these things to play with - never used the tech before so i'll hit the thread back up again after I figure out how to use them and with some of what I came up with.

Now, just have to do my homework on the whole issue - not sure whether I enjoy learning or implementing something new more, but gonna have some fun!

Thanks for inspiring me to look into it, this thread did just that.

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville

I got some MIFARE 1k tags online (5 + 1 keychain) and so far only have 1 of the tags + the keychain NFC programmed:
- the keychain will turn gps on if not on already, sets media and notification volumes as high as they go, and opens Waze. If i tap the tag again, it closes Waze and opens Navigation instead

I've got 4 more to be used and am looking for creative uses for them, or really am interested in what everyone else uses them for.

For your auto login to your home wifi, you should probably use tasker to do that. You can set it up to turn on wifi automatically when you get within a certain distance from the house. Pretty cool trick, and it will free up your tag for other uses.

Tasker App on Google Play

I definitely have a night stand tag that turns down the brightness, turns off led notifications, sets the phone to vibrate. (wife's a light sensitive, light sleeper)

Also, I use NFC Task Launcher, not the samsung app.

Last edited:

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Nfc task launcher is definitely a nice app.

The first tag I programmed sets to minimum brightness, turns off all sounds and vibrations, but jacks alarm volume all the way and pops open my alarm clock app.

Went and took a fine point sharpie and wrote "sleep" on the tag.

Next is to make two more tags, one that reverses all that at minimum brightness, then another that jacks brightness and opens maps, so I can put the device active again and then one more to tap out the door of my hotel room.

Definitely need to make one for work to tap when I get there, and since I travel so much i'm gonna make one to send a text to my lady letting her know when I cross my state line. That's safe texting while driving - when I hit my state just tap the tag.

Echodawg

Jun 18, 2010
Boston
A few NFC ideas.

I have a few of the "normal" ones... in and out of the car, work or home... but I also have a ton of very simple ones that come in handy too.

Here's a quick list...

on the back of my guitar, opens a guitar tuner app
on my practice drum pad, opens the metronome
on my Xoom, opens WiFi Tether
on my carry-on bag, starts airplane mode
in my wallet, starts silent mode(it reaches through my jacket)
on the refrigerator, opens the Peapod app.
on the stove, opens the Timer app
on my work notebook, opens Evernote.

But my favorite is this one...
on my Zippo (I keep it in my watch pocket), it uses NFC Tag Launcher to text IFTTT which then calls my phone so I can make an excuse to escape.

I have a few more but I forget to use them.

I forgot the emergency video record on my dash, never needed to use it but just in case it records and sends to the cloud quick and discrete.

Last edited:

Sycobob

Aug 30, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
This thread got me thinking and I decided to order some tags. The first set came in today. I'm still looking for cool ideas, but here's what I've got so far:

• Home (on my desk) - Brightness: minimum, WiFi: on, Bluetooth: on, ringer mode: normal
  • Car (on my steering wheel) - Brightness: maximum, WiFi: off, Bluetooth: off, ringer mode: normal
  • Class (on my notebook) - Brightness: minimum, WiFi: off, Bluetooth: off, ringer mode: vibrate

When my second order comes in, I'm going to use the keychain tag to store my contact information. When anyone asks for my phone number or email and has an NFC capable device I'm just going to hold it out. I've tested putting a tag inside my wallet. It works perfectly, I just don't have a good use for it. Maybe have it launch Google Wallet or Mint. I'm also planning on putting another one on my desk that toggles some sort of file sharing or adb over WiFi for copying things from my PC to my phone. I just have to find a way to do it that I like.

I'm sure we can come up with some way cooler ideas though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue6IX and mdt73

Echodawg

Jun 18, 2010
Boston
IFTTT rocks!

Epic, I am stealing this idea! Kudos!

Thanks!

This is the text I have read to me when it calls...

{{Message}}. Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way. Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town. Waiting for someone or something to show you the way. Tired of lying in the sunshine. staying home to watch the rain. You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today. And then one day you find. ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run. you missed the starting gun. And you run and you run to catch up with the sun. but it's sinking. And racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older. And shorter of breath and one day closer to death. Every year is getting shorter. never seem to find the time. Plans that either come to naught. or half a page of scribbled lines. Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. The time is gone. the song is over. thought I'd something more to say. . . Home. home again. I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired. It's good to warm my bones beside the fire. Far away. across the field. tolling on the iron bell. Calls the faithful to their knees. And hear the softly spoken magic spell.........

Took a while to get the punctuation in the right places so it reads (almost)correctly.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I forgot the emergency video record on my dash, never needed to use it but just in case it records and sends to the cloud quick and discrete.

This was definitely the first thing that came to mind with the nfc tags, not sure how I want to implement this for the car yet, but definitely will be there.

I did go ahead and make a tag to reverse all the sounds/notifications I disabled on the sleep tag, but kept the brightness low. Called it 'first wake'.

Made another one that jacks brightness all the way and pops open maps, so I can tap it on the way out the door and have navigation ready by the time I hit the vehicle at a brightness level I can see.

Made another one to send my lady a text when I cross my state border, but can't seem to get the auto-send plugin to work at first brush, now it just populates the text but I still have to send manually. When I have more time to play with it i'll probably get it figured out pretty quickly.

I still have more then a dozen fresh tags to play with, so all the excuse in the world to find stuff to use them on. Easy to carry and quick to program.

Like the feature of being able to use the nfc tags in airplane mode in the app, but haven't tried it yet.

I got the samsung tec-tile nfc tags, and they are sticky on one side. I am thinking the best thing to stick them to is a soft side of a velcro strip, one of the ones with sticky on one side that you cut to length. Find a roll as wide as the tag and then cut to fit, sticky to sticky promises good adhesion.

Then it's just making rough side velcro landing spots everywhere. Couple of velcro strips in specific places in my car, my house, on notebooks and camera/phone cases, backpacks - you name it, I believe velcro is the correct answer to dynamic use of the tags. I'll pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes, maybe get some pictures if it works as well as I imagine it will.

Echodawg

Jun 18, 2010
Boston
Try rubber cement

I got the samsung tec-tile nfc tags, and they are sticky on one side. I am thinking the best thing to stick them to is a soft side of a velcro strip, one of the ones with sticky on one side that you cut to length. Find a roll as wide as the tag and then cut to fit, sticky to sticky promises good adhesion.

Then it's just making rough side velcro landing spots everywhere. Couple of velcro strips in specific places in my car, my house, on notebooks and camera/phone cases, backpacks - you name it, I believe velcro is the correct answer to dynamic use of the tags. I'll pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes, maybe get some pictures if it works as well as I imagine it will.

I tried Velcro but it was too thick for most of my applications.
I now use a little rubber cement on the spot and a little on the nfc tag(paper backing left on).
Let it dry and stick it together.
It's easy to remove and the cement just rolls off in your fingers for clean up.

Sycobob

Aug 30, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
I just added one to the top of my PC case that turns on ES File Explorers FTP server. I tried a few alternatives, and this way met my goals best. SMB sharing was too slow at <1 MBps. Wifi File Explorer was a painless solution, but it was mediocre at about 2 MBps plus I didn't want to have an extra app for that one function. ES's FTP server allows me to use one app for all my file moving needs at transfer speed of 3-6 MBps with FileZilla. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to kill the server with an NFC tag so I still have to do that manually. I emailed the dev about adding a kill shortcut or toggle for the server, though.

All in all it's nice not having to dig around for a USB cable when I want to grab a quick file off my phone or push a mod.

Also, for you guys trying to make the tags reusable, might I suggest sticking them to a piece of static cling sticker? You know those removable clear plastic ones you can put on your car windshield. They don't have any adhesive and peel right off (but still stick perfectly well). They only work on smooth surfaces, but if that suits you they'd work really well. I've bought some of the static cling multiple times from this site to use with my parking passes (I hate putting stickers on my car, especially when it comes time to remove them). You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else for a larger sheet that will do multiple tags, then just cut them down to size.

Last edited:

Echodawg

Jun 18, 2010
Boston
I've bought some of the static cling multiple times from this site to use with my parking passes (I hate putting stickers on my car, especially when it comes time to remove them). You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else for a larger sheet that will do multiple tags, then just cut them down to size.

Great idea, I actually have some larger sheets around here somewhere.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
That is a good idea. This vehicle is one i'm going to run into the ground. At a thousand miles a week or so travelling, that grave is fast approaching since it wasn't designed for the weight i'm dragging around.

I have no problems with shooting a few self-tapping screws right into the dash to secure the velcro with - past experience with adhesives in the heat this thing gets to on the daily has taught me how unreliable they are.

Next step is to find something to stick a tag to that I can mount in my hotel rooms on a temporary basis as I go from place to place. Here is where I think the static cling idea will come into it's best use for me.

...if not the runner up idea is dollar-store keyring tags I can hang in places.

I'm parked at a place where I can see about some velcro, so i'll let you guys know how that works out.

Loving the ideas and accounts of experiences on this subject, definitely adding a whole new dimension to interacting with my android i'm really enjoying.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A few NFC ideas.

I have a few of the "normal" ones... in and out of the car, work or home... but I also have a ton of very simple ones that come in handy too.

Here's a quick list...

on the back of my guitar, opens a guitar tuner app
    on my practice drum pad, opens the metronome
    on my Xoom, opens WiFi Tether
    on my carry-on bag, starts airplane mode
    in my wallet, starts silent mode(it reaches through my jacket)
    on the refrigerator, opens the Peapod app.
    on the stove, opens the Timer app
    on my work notebook, opens Evernote.

But my favorite is this one...
    on my Zippo (I keep it in my watch pocket), it uses NFC Tag Launcher to text IFTTT which then calls my phone so I can make an excuse to escape.

I have a few more but I forget to use them.

This thread got me thinking and I decided to order some tags. The first set came in today. I'm still looking for cool ideas, but here's what I've got so far:

• Home (on my desk) - Brightness: minimum, WiFi: on, Bluetooth: on, ringer mode: normal
    • Car (on my steering wheel) - Brightness: maximum, WiFi: off, Bluetooth: off, ringer mode: normal
    • Class (on my notebook) - Brightness: minimum, WiFi: off, Bluetooth: off, ringer mode: vibrate

When my second order comes in, I'm going to use the keychain tag to store my contact information. When anyone asks for my phone number or email and has an NFC capable device I'm just going to hold it out. I've tested putting a tag inside my wallet. It works perfectly, I just don't have a good use for it. Maybe have it launch Google Wallet or Mint. I'm also planning on putting another one on my desk that toggles some sort of file sharing or adb over WiFi for copying things from my PC to my phone. I just have to find a way to do it that I like.

I'm sure we can come up with some way cooler ideas though.
    Tags printed with Andy (need these with black background...)

4k Tags -plain white, no branding!

Tectiles