New S-Pen optimized Image Editor Beta RELEASED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

rickr1

Dec 2, 2012
Image editor

I just downloaded the app and I had some problems with it.

1. The first time I tried to load picture from gallery the picture came up but was not brought into the app for editing. I quit the app and restarted it and then the picture was brought in.

2. When I started to edit by drawing on the picture I tried to undo and it would not undo. I then went on some more in editing and then tried to undo and it would undo up to the point of the first edits and not to the very beginning. It is like it did a auto save and would not let me go back to the very beginning.

3. When I tried to add some shapes I would select a shape and then the shape was applied to the edit area. It would not let me select where I wanted the shape to start and then drag to select how big I wanted the shape.

4. When the app starts I get a lot of messages of things loading like it is in developer mode and then they go away.

5. Horizontal mode toolbar is ok but when I go vertical the toolbar gets weird with a mini picture of the edit area below it.

Am I not using the app correctly or are these items that are currently being worked on? I am glad you are creating an app that is utilizing the S-Pen. I actually had the S-3 and quickly changed it out for the Note 2 just because of the S-Pen.

Keep up the good work :good::cyclops:

Last edited:

blueboarder777

Sep 7, 2009
I am close to releasing my Image Editor for Android called ImageFactory.
I am thinking of releasing a version without SPen libraries on the Play Store and another with the SPen libraries (much larger) on the Samsung App store.

Any ideas on if this is a good idea?
The SPen libraries really add to the size of the app.

Anyway, the app is a Photo Editor with paint tools, filter tools, and multiple floating layers including Image Layers, Text Layers, and Vector Layers.

The SPen support includes hover emulating moving the virtual mouse (a float brush icon that is see through when trimming layers) and uses the button on the pen to emulate left button/right button by click, letting you change from fore-ground color to back-ground color, as well as toggle between trimming layers by brush and untrimming layers by brush.

It supports large heap (meaning huge multi-mega-pixel images).

It has an image surface on the left, a toolbar on the top right, and a scroll pad/mouse pad on the bottom right.

It only needs some more icons and a little more debugging.

Any interest?

Hallo i dontt User Samsung apps Can You sent the .apk??

eitama

Sep 18, 2010
Hod Hasharon
My suggestion :
Samsung Store = Thumbs Down.
Play Store - Yes!

Release 1 version on Playstore without the libs, and, release a 2nd package on play store - only the libs.
When the app starts, it should check if s-pen compatible + downloaded libs == run in spen mode.

For example, titanium backup has 2 packages, it looks for the key package to know it's pro version.
I don't exactly know how that is done, but i think it's the best way.

Good luck :)

Szczepanik

Dec 31, 2007
S-Pen optimized Image Editor

Here is my latest version.
I forced it to landscape and turned on the large heap flag (so should be able to load large images).
I also turned on tool tips when hovering with the stylus on the buttons.
I also added a help button and added the beginnings of a help file.

• Please edit your first post (OP) and put the download link to the latest version on there (p=34858581&postcount=1) as well.
  • You may want to also put a download link on dev-host.org.
  • Strongly recommend that you put the app on Google Play - either as two separate versions or as an add-on if possible.
  • Take care how you describe the different versions so that you do not get negative reviews.
Cheers
Tom

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
New Version

I have a new version (attached to the first message in the thread instead of this one as someone above suggested).

In this version i have :
fixed scroll code so that you cant scroll beyond the edge of the image.
removed unneccessary permissions involving phone and network state.
removed SPEN library and replaced it with Android 4.0 built in stylus support.

The last change is important in that it shrunk the program to less than a third (656 KB), and now is a universal app that should run on any android 4.0+ device with stylus or any android 2.3+ android device without stylus. So i only need to do a single app on the market.
I have tested the stylus support on my Note 2 and Note 10.1 and stylus support does not seem impaired.

So let me know what you think.
This week is going to be help file writing time (wish me luck).
Next week may be more fixes and possibly camera support (with possibly layers appearing over the live image so that you can position and zoom to fit the layers. can you say borders and put you in a scene from a movie with floating pieces? I may even try to support green screen so that green in the camera is transparent and does not replace the existing background. I dont know if i will get this done in time for the first store release)

Len.

Jan 19, 2011
I have a new version (attached to the first message in the thread instead of this one as someone above suggested).

In this version i have :

The last change is important in that it shrunk the program to less than a third (656 KB), and now is a universal app that should run on any android 4.0+ device with stylus or any android 2.3+ android device without stylus. So i only need to do a single app on the market.
I have tested the stylus support on my Note 2 and Note 10.1 and stylus support does not seem impaired.

Next week may be more fixes and possibly camera support (with possibly layers appearing over the live image so that you can position and zoom to fit the layers. can you say borders and put you in a scene from a movie with floating pieces? I may even try to support green screen so that green in the camera is transparent and does not replace the existing background. I dont know if i will get this done in time for the first store release)

Len.

In my humble opinion (i have tried the majority of art related apps on Android - and ios for that matter) this is nowhere near release level. There are still a lot of bugs (filters mostly crashing the app) the interface is confusing and needs to be more proffessional looking (think Sketchbook pro), there seems to be no opacity settings. A zoom option is a must and preferably two finger zoom/rotate. I am not impressed with the quality, however i am impressed with what you are trying to cram into this

Overall a good start but needs a lot more work.

Edit. You say removed S-Pen library does that mean there is no pressure sensitive brushes?
Re edit: an option to fullscreen edit would be handy,/ to move the menus out the way. Having the colour pallette always visable is also a must no not the colour pallette um the colours one is using showing, hope you understand?

Ps. Just trying to help this become the app i have been looking for

Last edited:

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
In my humble opinion (i have tried the majority of art related apps on Android - and ios for that matter) this is nowhere near release level. There are still a lot of bugs (filters mostly crashing the app) the interface is confusing and needs to be more proffessional looking (think Sketchbook pro), there seems to be no opacity settings. A zoom option is a must and preferably two finger zoom/rotate. I am not impressed with the quality, however i am impressed with what you are trying to cram into this

Edit. You say removed S-Pen library does that mean there is no pressure sensitive brushes?
Re edit: an option to fullscreen edit would be handy,/ to move the menus out the way. Having the colour pallette always visable is also a must no not the colour pallette um the colours one is using showing, hope you understand?

I hope you realize that this is also a one-person product from someone doing it on weekends.
I am not trying to compete with large companies or teams. Maybe somebody will invest so i can work on it full time and hire some help or maybe just buy it and hire me.
I will though continue to improve, i just want to get a version on the market (possible for tax purposes so i can write some expenses off on this years taxes). Plus i want to see the app get out to a lot of people. If i waited for it to be perfect, it'll never get out as i will never have time.

I never had pressure sensitive brushes even with the SPEN sdk but the Android 4.0 sdk has all of those capabilities built in so i will eventually add support. The paint tools were always primitive. It was the layers and collaging abilities that were the core of my focus.

My problem with two finger zoom/rotate is noticing the multi-touch and aborting the one finger process, especially if the second touch comes slightly after the first press (and aborting/undoing the paint operation that may have started). Two finger on the scroll pane might be easy to implement.

If you know what filters are crashing and when, let me know and i will work on them. Frankly i am too used to the program to be a good tester.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

I sometimes take criticism personally but I realize that the program isnt professional level and wont be while i am the sole developer. But it is a labor of love and i want to see it get out there and get used. Then i can work on cleaning it up and adding more features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am close to releasing my Image Editor for Android called ImageFactory.
    I am thinking of releasing a version without SPen libraries on the Play Store and another with the SPen libraries (much larger) on the Samsung App store.

Any ideas on if this is a good idea?
    The SPen libraries really add to the size of the app.

Anyway, the app is a Photo Editor with paint tools, filter tools, and multiple floating layers including Image Layers, Text Layers, and Vector Layers.

The SPen support includes hover emulating moving the virtual mouse (a float brush icon that is see through when trimming layers) and uses the button on the pen to emulate left button/right button by click, letting you change from fore-ground color to back-ground color, as well as toggle between trimming layers by brush and untrimming layers by brush.

It supports large heap (meaning huge multi-mega-pixel images).

It has an image surface on the left, a toolbar on the top right, and a scroll pad/mouse pad on the bottom right.

It only needs some more icons and a little more debugging.

Any interest?

UPDATED: 12/16/2012 with latest version

UPDATED: 12/24/2012 with latest version with bug fixes and improved help

UPDATED: 12/30/2012 with possible release candidate with more features and bug fixes. View source of vector works, 2nd click on edit text now brings up soft keyboard. Toggle pan view and trackpad put on edit ribbon.

UPDATED: 1/1/2012 extended beta good till march, took out full screen so title bar with menu button shows. menu has undo/redo zooms trackpad or panview.

UPDATED: 1/6/2012 with fixes to properly stopping background thread (which caused problems on 2nd+ runs) and added action bar with undo and zoom in/out icons
    BETA is Ready!

OK. I fixed the problem.
    I added the text from the Samsung forum in the wrong file and the message had {;] when it should have been {;}

So, the Beta is ready. (including SPEN functionality).

Note that this expires at the end of the year and all save except the propriety format which includes floating layers.

It says on load whether it recognizes the model as SPEN enabled. Let me know if your model should be recognized but isn't.

I really need to create a help file but feel free to play.

Ask me any questions you have.
    New Version

In this version i have :

Len.
    Next Version

Here is my latest version.
    I forced it to landscape and turned on the large heap flag (so should be able to load large images).
    I also turned on tool tips when hovering with the stylus on the buttons.
    I also added a help button and added the beginnings of a help file.

I hope you realize that this is also a one-person product from someone doing it on weekends.
    I am not trying to compete with large companies or teams. Maybe somebody will invest so i can work on it full time and hire some help or maybe just buy it and hire me.
    I will though continue to improve, i just want to get a version on the market (possible for tax purposes so i can write some expenses off on this years taxes). Plus i want to see the app get out to a lot of people. If i waited for it to be perfect, it'll never get out as i will never have time.

I never had pressure sensitive brushes even with the SPEN sdk but the Android 4.0 sdk has all of those capabilities built in so i will eventually add support. The paint tools were always primitive. It was the layers and collaging abilities that were the core of my focus.

My problem with two finger zoom/rotate is noticing the multi-touch and aborting the one finger process, especially if the second touch comes slightly after the first press (and aborting/undoing the paint operation that may have started). Two finger on the scroll pane might be easy to implement.

If you know what filters are crashing and when, let me know and i will work on them. Frankly i am too used to the program to be a good tester.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

I sometimes take criticism personally but I realize that the program isnt professional level and wont be while i am the sole developer. But it is a labor of love and i want to see it get out there and get used. Then i can work on cleaning it up and adding more features.