[Q] Razr HD Update - 9.18.79.en.US - Failed

Search This thread

gismo4

Nov 27, 2010
Razr HD Maxx on Verizon.

I am rooted, unlocked bootloader, Team Win recovery, stock OS.

3 times I attempted to install the latest update (9.18.79.en.US). Each time it reboots into Team Win recovery. I then reboot the system and once the desktop loads, it reboots immediately into Team Win recovery. I can never get into the OS anymore because it immediately displays "Powering off" and loads the Team Win recovery screen. So, each of the 3 times I attempted to install, I ended up reverting back to my backup.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove Team Win? Is the update not compatible with my current setup? Or, do I need to do it manually? i.e. download the update and install it using Team Win recovery.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance for reading and attempting a resolution. If I end up figuring it out, I'll post an update. :good:

nobdlikeme

Mar 19, 2011
Fix for Reboots

Too Fix Just go on Teamwin Recovery and select wipe Data>Advance Wipe Data> and only wipe cache and dalvik cache..

that should fix y;our reboots..

as for the update.... no sure yet

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
Your phone has to be stock with all apps in tack to take a ota. So yes you need to be using the stock recovery and preserve and remove root with voodoo.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

gismo4

Nov 27, 2010
thanks to both responses.

quick update: i located the downloaded update via /cache. i attempted to install it when TWRP came up. "Failed". I wiped cache/dalvik, and that did not work either. It fixed the boot problem initially, but then it just prompted for the update again and the reboot cycle repeated. except I was in a factory state with my apps. (i.e. i had to go through the initial prompts of setting up my phone.)

So, I will attempt to do the following:

Your phone has to be stock with all apps in tack to take a ota. So yes you need to be using the stock recovery and preserve and remove root with voodoo.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

and see what happens.

Thanks again.

woodjc01

Nov 14, 2011
Jackson, TN
Installing new Razr HD Verizon update

The update must be installed using stock recovery. I did this just today by temp unrooting using voodoo, installing stock recovery using razr hd utility, and then downloading and installing the update, which will boot the phone into the stock recovery to automatically finish the installation after you click install. After the phone reboots, I verified that the update installed, re-rooted using voodoo, and re-installed TWRP using the razr hd utility. After this, all is working well. :good:

Reactions: by3times1minus1

Andrewl62

Sep 25, 2011
I did everything except root recovery with voodoo now I have ota update to 9.18.926 bootloader unlocked but can't get root... Do I have to start over with rsd?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Mr-Glass

Aug 27, 2010
I did everything except root recovery with voodoo now I have ota update to 9.18.926 bootloader unlocked but can't get root... Do I have to start over with rsd?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

If you still have custom recovery with and unlocked bootloader you should be able to flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.41.zip... If you do not have custom recovery install TWRP/CWM so you can install the zip..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

samabuelsamid

Oct 19, 2010
Ypsilanti

by3times1minus1

Aug 6, 2013
Austin, TX
The update must be installed using stock recovery. I did this just today by temp unrooting using voodoo, installing stock recovery using razr hd utility, and then downloading and installing the update, which will boot the phone into the stock recovery to automatically finish the installation after you click install. After the phone reboots, I verified that the update installed, re-rooted using voodoo, and re-installed TWRP using the razr hd utility. After this, all is working well. :good:

This worked perfectly for me coming from 9.16. I'm now running stock 9.18.17.XT926 rooted and unlocked with TWRP reinstalled. No hiccups at all, thanks, woodjc01!

EDIT: I did unfreeze/enable all the bloatware apps I had previously disabled (zappo's, nfl mobile, real racing 2, etc) before installing the OTA update.

Last edited:

gismo4

Nov 27, 2010
forgot to give an update. i got the update to work with the stock recovery. i'm on newest stock os build with unlocked bootloader, root, and stock recovery. :good:

s_u_n

Nov 6, 2012
Pune
This worked perfectly for me coming from 9.16. I'm now running stock 9.18.17.XT926 rooted and unlocked with TWRP reinstalled. No hiccups at all, thanks, woodjc01!

EDIT: I did unfreeze/enable all the bloatware apps I had previously disabled (zappo's, nfl mobile, real racing 2, etc) before installing the OTA update.

My dad is getting a message to update to 9.18.x every 24 hours.
Sometimes he accidentally hits the OK/ update button and has to go back in TWRP to wipe cache and dalvik.

So, how does one freeze the Verizon update application? We have unlocked bootloader and running 9.16.x and TWRP installed along with the Voodo thing for securing root.

froyton

Dec 13, 2012
My update failed to install as well. I'm rooted but NOT unlocked. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding how to restore bloatware apps? I made the rookie mistake of completely removing some of them a while back. I sincerely apologize if a solution has been posted already, as I was not able to find one so far.

iBolski

My dad is getting a message to update to 9.18.x every 24 hours.
Sometimes he accidentally hits the OK/ update button and has to go back in TWRP to wipe cache and dalvik.

So, how does one freeze the Verizon update application? We have unlocked bootloader and running 9.16.x and TWRP installed along with the Voodo thing for securing root.

Why do you not want the update? Your bootloader is unlocked so you're safe to go all the way to Kit Kat.

s_u_n

Nov 6, 2012
Pune
Why do you not want the update? Your bootloader is unlocked so you're safe to go all the way to Kit Kat.

Well, I had asked to hold on till 4.4 is made available and that was supposed to come out in January.
But yesterday I upgraded the phone to 4.4.2 following Samurai's thread on DroidRzr forum.

iBolski

Well, I had asked to hold on till 4.4 is made available and that was supposed to come out in January.
But yesterday I upgraded the phone to 4.4.2 following Samurai's thread on DroidRzr forum.

But that's what this OTA was - the 4.4 upgrade. I guess I'm a little confused on what you were asking exactly.

Glad you are on KK now, though. And, you can go back to JB if you want to since your bootloader is unlocked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing new Razr HD Verizon update