I just got the official ICS Upgrade From AT&T

Search This thread

rompus

Apr 30, 2011
I got the update earlier today. Time will tell if it is buggy or not.

Hint - if you want to ditch TW for a more stock ICS feel, just download Apex Launcher.

So far, no lag, no problems. Signal levels might be a bit lower with the included modem.

The ROM as is does look like Gingerbread smashed up with ICS with a healthy dose of TW slathered on top. Apex Launcher fixes that for the most part IMO.

R2D2_SW

Feb 9, 2009
Essential Phone
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I got the update earlier today. Time will tell if it is buggy or not.

Hint - if you want to ditch TW for a more stock ICS feel, just download Apex Launcher.

So far, no lag, no problems. Signal levels might be a bit lower with the included modem.

The ROM as is does look like Gingerbread smashed up with ICS with a healthy dose of TW slathered on top. Apex Launcher fixes that for the most part IMO.

Is NFC supported on that rom?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

ChocolateSnow

Dec 18, 2011
Staten Island
I don't get it, I've been stoked since i first heard about the official update via KIES at around 5pm and even after checking periodically since then. nothing shows up :/ meanwhile other people are getting it. whats going on?

rusto

Jan 2, 2012
Oregon
Can someone share what the update looks like. I haven't seen any screen shots of the official update yet.

jjack0310

Feb 20, 2011
how do I get the update without KIES???

I am on stock rom, but for some reason KIES wont connect to my phone.

Help Please

Captpt

Oct 17, 2011
Did you guys put your phones back to stock before updating?? Has anyone done it with a rooted GS2 running one of the ROMS from XDA?
Part of me wants to give the official ICS a shot but not sure I want to seeing the ICS ROMs we have here should be the same minus the AT&T crapware and less tweaked for improved battery life..

insomnia

Feb 16, 2006
Chula Vista
any way to get the stock ICS notification bar on this without root? I am using apex launcher and now the notification bar does not match ..... sucks ...

selw0nk

Apr 13, 2012
Did you guys put your phones back to stock before updating?? Has anyone done it with a rooted GS2 running one of the ROMS from XDA?
Part of me wants to give the official ICS a shot but not sure I want to seeing the ICS ROMs we have here should be the same minus the AT&T crapware and less tweaked for improved battery life..

I had to put it back to stock GB and update through Kies.

rompus

Apr 30, 2011
You guys do know you are a few clicks away from custom 4.0.4 roms that are better in every aspect right? I don't get how you can be an XDA user, know what's out there, and still be running stock.

I'll just be honest with you. Back when I had a Captivate, I tried many custom ROMs. Without fail, they all had bugs and shortcomings, even the best was still buggy.
I got this phone and it still had 2.3.4 on it. It has always ran flawlessly bone stock, not rooted. So I left it alone.

If the ICS update runs smoothly and bug free, then I will leave it alone as well.

So far (and I realize it is very early to make an assesment), this update runs VERY smooth and bug free.

I popped Apex launcher on it to give it a more stock look and it is smooth as silk. No lag, no problems.

...and all that being said, just a few minutes before I saw that the ICS update was available, I was reading threads in the development forum considering flashing an ICS ROM since I just knew AT&T was going to sit on this update for a while yet. Then BOOM, there it is. So I will give it a fair shake.

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
I bet entropy is a busy bee. Does anyone know if the brick bug has been prevented in the kernal.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thing is...if someone posts crap like this in a CM9 thread or an AOKP thread they get flamed to death and told to stop or face getting banned.

Stop with the negative posts just because it is something that Samsung made. After all, didn't they make your f*cking phone? Judging by the logo on my phone - they did make mine. OMG - GO BURN THE PHONE SINCE SAMSUNG MADE IT!! Get one made by AOKP!!!!1111

This thread is for people who are interested in using this official release. If you're not interested in using this release, then don't post here.

I promise that you will not be asked any questions about how to fix *anything*.... and that flashing something custom will only bring its own set of issues....but oh those are caused by Samsung too right?

Can't wait for all the.... "Help! I downloaded the official ics release and now my phone is doing this......" threads. Sorry cant help you. Flash something custom. Hehe...:D
    Well, first, before I realised I could do it, I downloaded the newest version of Kies because I got all kinds of errors when i did a kies software update from the older version. I had to uninstall it from my computer and install the newest one. I got it from here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

btw, I did all of this with the phone completely stock - restored to unrooted KH7, then did OTA KK6 upgrade. NOt sure if it would matter since you will start in download mode anyway.

after completely finishing installing kies (and it took a while) i shut it down and then made sure the computer detected the phone in different modes (usb debugging on And off, and in download mode.) it will install the drivers when you connect it in each mode.

now, WITHOUT the phone connected, start the new Kies and went to the tools menu. Chose Firmware Upgrade and Initialization. It asked for the serial number and model number that I got from the sticker under the battery. Now, put the phone in download mode (either with a jig, or holding vol. up + vol down and inserting usb cable).

After you enter the serial number and model number it should say that the latest recovery version is the LE5 (the new firmware). Now, just leave the phone connected and keep clicking through with OK. It should download the firmware, and when it is finished downloading you will see the blue bar moving across the phone when it is installing.

Hope it works for you.
    As with everything else on here, I'm not responsible if you damage your phone.

I dont think I left anything out but if you get to something that looks like I forgot to mention, ask and I'll probably remember.
    You guys do know you are a few clicks away from custom 4.0.4 roms that are better in every aspect right? I don't get how you can be an XDA user, know what's out there, and still be running stock.
    I'm going to be reporting this thread, just so yer aware. Not because I don't agree with free choice of u to be able to flash whatever u want, but because this could easily turn into an all out flame war. (Not from me, but you've seen the previous few pages).

--- Snip ---

I find that odd because from your posts it appears
    you are one of the ones fanning the flames.

I created a simple thread, saying I got the Upgrade.

Nobody forced you or others into this thread, but you came
    in of your own free will (apparently to troll this thread.), now
    you want to report it so it does not become a flame war.

Seems a bit odd don't ya think?

Lets Please keep the Thread on Track. Some do want help and some are helping.

I bet entropy is a busy bee. Does anyone know if the brick bug has been prevented in the kernal.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
    Not really... It's just another ****ty AT&T release. We learned from UCKH7 and UCKK6 that if you want the worst possible experience for your phone, install the AT&T release. It provides lockdown (tether blocking, which is more aggressive in ICS) and piles of bugs that you don't experience with I9100 firmwares (lockscreen issues in UCKH7, the abysmal power management of UCKK6 and broken Bluetooth HID in UCKK6).

The source code (when released) might have some interesting updates that could possibly be pulled into my touchwizz kernel base and CM9 - but at this point I have a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude with regards to anything coming out of AT&T. Main things prior to source release I might do when I get some time:
    1) Check initramfs for anything interesting (unlikely though)
    2) Release a kernel with micswap disabled

i wonder if we will get any custom rom with this firmware :confused::)
    Maybe... Someone might mess with it, but most of the developers here learned from UCKK6 that official AT&T releases are steaming piles of **** that consist of the worst possible base you can choose.

I realize some people don't want AOSP firmwares - that's what I9100 touchwizz is for.

Source was posted yesterday on Sam mobile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
    No, source code was not released. So, among the list of "bugs you don't experience with I9100 firmwares", assume this has the trigger conditions for eMMC damage until we receive source code that indicates otherwise.