[APP][4.2+]DashClock SMS Viewer: View contents of SMS messages in DashClock

Search This thread

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Using a pulled Hangouts with SMS apk, I have tested it with SMS Viewer. It still displays the received messages. But, it does not lead to the Hangouts app on click. I'll work something out once I have time; maybe something along the lines of using 4.3 notification center APIs to get the target reachable from DashClock.

gmouraf

Jul 22, 2012
Google removes lockscreen widget in 4.4? =///////////////

I cant find a option to add widgets in lockscreen.

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Version 0.6

Messing around on my phone today I had an epiphany, did some research, and discovered a way to very easily lead to SMS threads, which this time includes Hangouts. Hangouts did not support the way this app used to use to lead to SMS threads. Much easier than having to use notification APIs or anything of the sort.

Version 0.6 (in OP) uses this. It also fixed a whole bunch of bugs I came across while testing, many having to do with what happened when there were more than 3 active SMS threads.

CKRevel

Aug 7, 2012
Awesome! I wondered why this was not built in with stock Dashclock!! Unfortunately this extension does not work with my Galaxy S3 running stock 4.3. I get a constant "Dashclock has stopped working error". Hopefully we can get it working for Samsung devices...will be watching this thread...

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Awesome! I wondered why this was not built in with stock Dashclock!! Unfortunately this extension does not work with my Galaxy S3 running stock 4.3. I get a constant "Dashclock has stopped working error". Hopefully we can get it working for Samsung devices...will be watching this thread...
Yes, the same thing seems to be happening on my dad's phone when I tried it out briefly. Unfortunately in the brief period of time I had it I was not able to get the drivers working in time. I'll take a look at it again soon.

Lorgios

Dec 29, 2013
Looks like a cool extension for dashclock but always crashs on my samsung Galaxy S4.
Do You have a Solution for trat peoblem? I'm using better dashclock on Nova launcher and widgetlocker.
Thanks!

CallumMarks77

Sep 16, 2011
Bristol
Dude how is this app still not on the play store... Been using the app for ages now, since even before you added multi panels that I asked for all that time ago... It really deserves a place on the play store!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Looks like a cool extension for dashclock but always crashs on my samsung Galaxy S4.
Do You have a Solution for trat peoblem? I'm using better dashclock on Nova launcher and widgetlocker.
Thanks!

Version 0.7 has been added to OP. Fixes this problem that Samsung stock ROM users have been having, tested on my dad's S3 running stock 4.3. Hopefully fixes it on HTC Sense devices as well, but I have no means of testing.

V0.7 also includes pyler's updated Slovak translations.

Dude how is this app still not on the play store... Been using the app for ages now, since even before you added multi panels that I asked for all that time ago... It really deserves a place on the play store!

I'll definitely do it sometime. ;)

Last edited:

Lorgios

Dec 29, 2013
Sorry version 0.7 didn't solved the problems. It always crashs when I wann to open the settings of viewer. Hope you fix this.
Thanks.

Lorgios

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks Note IT works. So cool extension. Now bring it to the play store!

kthle

Aug 6, 2013
First of all I want to say thank you so much for this extension! What I especially like about it is that it leads directly to the message thread, even though all the other developers say that extensions can't do that due to the limitations of the Dashclock API.

I recently switched to Hangouts as my default messaging app. My city offers this service where you can text a bus stop number and you'll receive a reply with the bus stop times, and I take advantage of this service to test out messaging apps and extensions. For some reason when I receive a text message from the bus service, it displays the contact name ("Calgary Transit") and the message contents. However, when I receive a text from an actual person, SMS Viewer only displays their number, no contact name or message. I never had this issue back when I used my phone's default messaging app. Any idea what's going on?

If it helps, I have a Galaxy S3, but am running custom ROM Liquidsmooth 2.37 (Android 4.3) on it.

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
First of all I want to say thank you so much for this extension! What I especially like about it is that it leads directly to the message thread, even though all the other developers say that extensions can't do that due to the limitations of the Dashclock API.

I recently switched to Hangouts as my default messaging app. My city offers this service where you can text a bus stop number and you'll receive a reply with the bus stop times, and I take advantage of this service to test out messaging apps and extensions. For some reason when I receive a text message from the bus service, it displays the contact name ("Calgary Transit") and the message contents. However, when I receive a text from an actual person, SMS Viewer only displays their number, no contact name or message. I never had this issue back when I used my phone's default messaging app. Any idea what's going on?

If it helps, I have a Galaxy S3, but am running custom ROM Liquidsmooth 2.37 (Android 4.3) on it.
Are the messages your friend is sending actually MMS instead of SMS? I haven't implemented reading MMS into the app. Regular SMS work fine for me on AOSP roms.

kthle

Aug 6, 2013
Are the messages your friend is sending actually MMS instead of SMS? I haven't implemented reading MMS into the app. Regular SMS work fine for me on AOSP roms.
Nope, just regular SMS. But someone just texted me and their contact name and message appeared properly, so I'm guessing it has something to do with where their contact information is stored?

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Nope, just regular SMS. But someone just texted me and their contact name and message appeared properly, so I'm guessing it has something to do with where their contact information is stored?
Possibly? See what results you have over the next messages coming in. I've never noticed that if a contact doesn't exist in the contacts it doesn't show the message contents.

kthle

Aug 6, 2013
Possibly? See what results you have over the next messages coming in. I've never noticed that if a contact doesn't exist in the contacts it doesn't show the message contents.
So after deleting and re-adding my friends' contact info, as well as clearing my SIM contacts and re-exporting them, I haven't been able to find anything that worked. For now I've reverted back to my previous messaging app. Thank you for your quick replies!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been a fan of DashClock for a long time. But one thing that always seemed misssing about it was that the SMS extension built into it didn't show the contents of the messages you have received. I thought that this couldn't be too hard, and it wasn't.
    I grabbed the DashClock SMS extension source and modified it to display the sender in the top part, and the message text in the bottom part. As of version 0.5 it now supports viewing up to 3 separate message threads (as long as you enable that option). As of 0.6 it supports leading to Hangouts. As of 0.7, the issue on Samsung devices (only tested on S3 running stock 4.3) is resolved.

VscxHP8.png

Version History:
    • 0.1: Initial release
    • 0.2: Big thanks to ShortFuse, modified the code which reads the SMS contents to work in more situations and close a possible memory leak
    • 0.2.1: Shifted a string to strings.xml, added Slovak translation
    • 0.3: Redone based on Dashclock 1.5 update. Hopefully this addresses the MMS problems people were having,but I have no way to test.
    • 0.4: You can now view all unread messages instead of the latest one if someone sends you multiple messages. (See picture)
      • Multiple panels for multiple message threads
      • Ability to switch message, sender
      • Settings for each of the above
      • Bugfix for extra line at end of panels
      • Status (the small number at top when your lock slider is showing) shows number of messages per convo when multiple panels enabled, number of unread convos when not enabled.
      • Bugfix: 3rd panel would display 2nd panel messages (unless switch sender/contents was checked)
      • Code cleanup
    • 0.6:
      • Bugfixes, lots of them.
      • Uses method of leading to SMS threads compatible with Hangouts.
      • Option to manually forward the app to Hangouts, in the case this is needed. (more than 4 unread conversations or multi-panel unchecked)
    • 0.7:
      • Now works with TouchWiz (But if you're on TouchWiz do yourself a favor and flash a custom ROM, if possible ;) ) Thanks to my dad for letting me test on his work phone.
      • Updated Slovak translations from pyler.
    • 0.8: Attempt at fixing problem where contents would not show up. Seems to fix when it happens to me but this is on limited circumstances.
    • 0.8.1: Fixed another problem where contacts/messages could not be read.

To do:
    • Read MMS (group messages, say something about a picture) - as of .5 I found a way to do this. But not a way to test.
    • It's not tested on Sense devices (it was reported to be also not working on them). But the fix for Touchwizvshould also fix it for Sense devices.
    • Bug fixes, as they come up
    • If it becomes popular enough, onto the Play Store!

Github: http://github.com/parkedraccoon/DashClockSMSViewer
    As I said, here's the update with the added feature. See the first post for the download. The feature is that if you get multiple text messages from a person, they now all appear (as long as they fit) instead of just the last one.

However, if 2 or more people send messages, it still does the same thing, where it says that you have # unread conversations. There's no easy way to make it display the contents of 2 conversations unless I add and the user adds a second extension in DashClock settings, as each extension as it is added can only take up one slot. Should I just leave it as is or add the ability to have more slots?

b3l5lIF.png
    Thanks for this extension but is it possible for you to make it display the message text in the top part and the sender in the bottom like the Google Voice extension does?
    I'll make a settings option in version 0.5.
    UPDATE

Just use version 0.2.1. It appears that rebasing made it not work right.

From a technical point of view, the messageID value (which is used to seek the right thread and message in the thread) that the old code gave is DIFFERENT than what the new code gives, and the new code's value makes it run wrongly.

I apologize for the problems...in the coming week I'll try to release another update that adds some features.
    Tbh, I think this widget extension is so amazing it's fine as it is, what you could do is like one extra panel for now and see how that takes off with the user's....

You should really put this app on the play store too!

I ended up putting in 2 extra panels. Adding more shouldn't really be too hard now that I have it set up to do so.

.5 update is live, see first post! It now supports viewing up to 3 separate message threads (as long as you enable that option - YOU HAVE TO ADD THE EXTRA PANELS IN DASHCLOCK). There's also a fix for the extra line issue. (which wasn't a dashclock issue, I found I was adding a line after each message instead of before each message except for first) And, also the option people had requested for switch message contents and sender.

VscxHP8.png

Play Store may come soon if I can figure out the mms, which I did find a way to read, it just might be a bit complicated.