[RECOVERY+ROOT+KERNEL] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (P7320/P7320T)

Search This thread

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
Update 17 May 2012:
- added "return to stock" section at the end.

Update 17 Apr 2012:
- kernel has been successfully tested on a P-7320. 4 days, 0 problems!! =). thanks for testing and reporting go to androidpetruska! removed the warnings. =)
post can be found here.

Update 16 Apr 2012:
- re-uploaded all files... somehow the links were broken...

Update 15 Apr 2012:
- [kernel] [usb charging] fixed the charging status reported to the system => now v0.3. please find more detailed information here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24889247&postcount=19

Update 11 Apr 2012:
- [kernel] [usb charging] fixed unplug/reconnect "bug" => now v0.2
- [kernel] sources added.

Hi everyone,

Here you will find CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 for the P7320 / P7320T along with rooting instructions - and a usb-charging-enabled kernel. Recovery and kernel have been tested on the P7320 and the P7320T.

I hope this thread helps to let the 7320 development gain some momentum! :)

Install CWM Recovery

1. Download Odin and the Samsung Drivers. Both are included in the GTab89Files.zip from nirogu325's guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20586389&postcount=1 (You'll find it under "Download Pack".)

If you are new to this whole rooting thing, I strongly recommend to read his FAQ section before proceeding!

DO NOT USE the recoveries included. Just extract the "Odin" and the "Driver" folders.

2. Download the cwm recovery for the 7320 here: View attachment P7320T_cwm_recovery_alpha.zip and unzip it.

3. You can check if you have correct drivers installed by trying step 4 and 5 first. If Odin does not recognize your device, install the driver (SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe).

4. Put your device in "Download-Mode": switch it off, hold volume down (the left volume key) and power until you're asked if you want to continue what you confirm by pressing volume up (the right volume key). Alternatively you can put it in download mode with a simple "adb reboot download" if you have usb-debugging enabled and adb installed...

5. Connect your device DIRECTLY to your PC and open Odin as administrator. You should see a yellow field (ID:COM/ some values). If not your tablet is not recognized correctly and you probably need to reinstall the drivers.

6. click on "PDA" and select "P7320T_cwm_recovery_alpha.tar.md5". LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE AS IT IS. (only "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" should be checked) and then...click on "Start".

Flashing should be finished within a second or so.

You can enter recovery mode by switching off the tablet, then holding the right volume key and pressing power until it vibrates or use "adb reboot recovery".

How to root your device

After cwm installation, rooting your device is pretty straight forward:

1. Download Superuser.zip: View attachment Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

2. Put it on your sdcard.

3. Start cwm recovery as described above.

4. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....."

Step 4 may abort with some error, but if you repeat it for maybe 2,3 or even 4 times, it will finish successfully.

Your phone is now rooted. :D

Enable usb charging

Here is the usb-charging-enabled kernel I promised yesterday. It's based on the Samsung GT-P7320T Kernel for HC. USB charging is based on pershoot's kernel for the galaxy tab 10.1. thanks for providing the sources. Everything is working (wlan, bluetooth, camera,etc).

usb charging is enabled by default.

Installing the kernel

1. although I have also made a cwm flashable zip containing the stock kernel for the 7320T please do a full system backup before messing around with your tab.

2. download the modified kernel: View attachment signed_GTP7320T_glitschis_kernel_v_0_3.zip

3. optional: download the stock kernel from here: View attachment signed_GTP7320T_stock_kernel_dvlb2.zip

4. put the file(s) on your sdcard.

5. start into CWM recovery (again: as described above)

6. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"signed_GTP7320T_glitschis_kernel_v_0_3.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....." to install the kernel. (reverting to stock also works this way, just choose the stock kernel zip (see 3.))

6. restart the tab.

Disable usb charging (Why??!!?)

If you have adb installed, it can be turned off with following command:
Code:
adb shell
su
echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging
and turn it on again:
Code:
adb shell
su
echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging

Both commands will take effect after unplugging and reconnecting your device. And the setting will be lost after reboot.

Does anybody know a widget that does exactly that? - including showing the current status???

return to stock

There are two possible ways:

- Find a stock rom and install it with odin, that will reset you whole device...
- Or follow the steps described below, to remove superuser, the kernel and the cwm recovery. Everything else will stay as it is.

1. Download View attachment signed_superuser_uninstall.zip and put it on your sdcard.

1b. If you also installed the kernel, please find the stock kernel download link above and put the file on your sdcard.

2. Start into CWM recovery (again: as described above)

3. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"signed_superuser_uninstall.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....."

3b. now is the time to flash the stock kernel, in case you have flashed the custom kernel.

4. Reboot your device and put it into download mode.

5. Download View attachment stock_recovery_7320.zip. Unzip and install with Odin - exactly the same way you installed the cwm recovery before.

If you encounter any problems or have feature requests, please report them. Any feedback is highly appreciated!

as requested, I've created a github account and uploaded the sources: https://github.com/glitschi/kernel_P7320

credits:

go to koush for cwm sources,to utkanos for his i957 port, to kershoot for his usb charging patch, to chainfire for Superuser.zip, to suwandiapr for providing the factory image, to nirogu325,to EndoSurf, to orlandoxpolice, and to everybody else testing! and xda for hosting so much useful information!

cheers,
glitschi :cool:

Last edited:

ay33ta

May 1, 2011
If i want to enable usb charging do i need to root my device?

Is there a zip file i can flash to enable usb charging?

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
@suwandiapr: was kind of busy, and it's my first tutorial, it took some time to do it..... sorry for the delay....

@ay33ta: I've searched a bit, and it seems we need a little kernel mod for usb charging - if I understand it correctly..... I'll try to do that within the next days... In case it's going to be available, you need to root your device in order to flash the new kernel.

edit: you need cwm recovery for flashing the kernel and root to enable usb charging.....

Last edited:

ay33ta

May 1, 2011
Putting recovery and root on my device worked fine. Thank you.

Now i would like to know how to enable usb charging if anyone knows. Thanks

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
You need to flash a kernel which has this feature build in, since the stock kernel does not allow charging on USB.

I have a USB charging enabled kernel here for almost 2 days now, but the camera was not working - until an hour ago. :D

It was kind of hard and kept me working long hours figuring out what was going on there, and I almost gave up, thinking samsung released non working source.... (what they actually did, but it took 4 lines of code to get it working finally....)

I still have to do some testing. But if everything looks good, I'm going to release a cwm flashable zip containing the new kernel within the next hours. Along with a guide how to install it and enable USB charging.

cheers,
glitschi

update: lots of other stuff to do..... will post tomorrow.....

update2: updated! see post #1

Last edited:
Reactions: suwandiapr

geotherm

Jun 3, 2010
Brisbane
Thanks for the new kernel, working great so far. I am bouncing the USB settings using gscript with tasker and displaying the setting by a variable in a minimalist text widget.

I would like to get a copy out the kernel source code.

Sent from my GT-P7320T using Tapatalk

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
uploaded all files to xda and updated the links, should be working now.

will post new kernel version (no unplug needed for usb charging) and the sources later today.

sorry for the delay.... was away for the holidays......

cheers,
glitschi

Reactions: reconchrist

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
nice to hear that! =). you are welcome!

so you can confirm the kernel is working with the GT-P7320 without the "T" at the end?

new kernel version and sources available! updated post #1.

enjoy,
glitschi

Reactions: geotherm

ay33ta

May 1, 2011
glitschi667 i have put cwm and superuser on my 8.9 tab i know that i have root. Now when i flash 0.2 usb charging kernel through cwm and reboot usb charging still doesnt work.

Am i doing something wrong? The file flashes fine.

ay33ta

May 1, 2011
i have a red x when using a apple usb charger but when you use official charger came with it i get a white x.

When i had my 10.1v i had the same problem. I rooted it and put on one of preshoot kernel/roms and it would charge fine with a apple charger, this is what im hoping to do with my 8.9.

Thanks for the work so far.

glitschi667

Mar 14, 2011
I did some research regarding the charging and reporting to the system:

- the tab consumes around 500mA with minimum brightness set and 900mA - 1000mA with brightness set to max. even more if you play a game or something....
- the stock kernel only provides 500mA when charging over usb and (theoretically) 2000mA when connected to the samsung charger (I had just about 1700mA reported by the kernel...)
- with the modified kernel and usb charging enabled, the device can take up to 2000mA over usb or any other charger.
- v0.2 has still the same reporting as the stock kernel. If the device is connected over usb, it just reports that it is "Discharging". But with usb_charging enabled it is just the reporting that is wrong.

Now I've done some changes to the kernel: :D

If the tab is connected over usb, the kernel checks if more power is available than consumed. In this case, it reports "Charging" to the system. If the battery is full, it also reports that. But if the consumption is higher than what is provided, it reports "Discharging" and the red X will appear. This is checked every 30seconds. You can check the reported values by going to Settings->About device->Status.

Now you can see, if you consume more power than provided, but (as on stock kernel) you cannot see, how fast the tablet is charging.

You may notice, that after reboot or a newly inserted usb cable, it might display "Discharging" since the power consumption values need some time to adjust, but the correct value will be shown after ~30seconds.

If you want to check the power consumption values, you can find them in the kernel log.
Code:
adb shell dmesg | grep read_current
will provide you with the values you are interested in:
Code:
<6>[ 2820.576049] fg_read_current : CURRENT(352mA), AVG_CURRENT(329mA)
<6>[ 2821.449310] fg_read_current : CURRENT(-653mA), AVG_CURRENT(298mA)
negative means "discharging", positive values "charging". So if you disconnect it, the -653 should be the power consumption of the tablet. if you reconnect it and a value of 352 is reported, the output of your usb-port should be around 1000mA.

if somebody is interested, I wrote a little app to keep track of these kernel messages, but it is still a bit buggy, so I won't release it right now - but you can write me a pm...

cheers,
glitschi

ps. going to update post #1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 17 May 2012:
    - added "return to stock" section at the end.

Update 17 Apr 2012:
    - kernel has been successfully tested on a P-7320. 4 days, 0 problems!! =). thanks for testing and reporting go to androidpetruska! removed the warnings. =)
    post can be found here.

Update 16 Apr 2012:
    - re-uploaded all files... somehow the links were broken...

Update 15 Apr 2012:
    - [kernel] [usb charging] fixed the charging status reported to the system => now v0.3. please find more detailed information here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24889247&postcount=19

Update 11 Apr 2012:
    - [kernel] [usb charging] fixed unplug/reconnect "bug" => now v0.2
    - [kernel] sources added.

Hi everyone,

Here you will find CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 for the P7320 / P7320T along with rooting instructions - and a usb-charging-enabled kernel. Recovery and kernel have been tested on the P7320 and the P7320T.

I hope this thread helps to let the 7320 development gain some momentum! :)

Install CWM Recovery

1. Download Odin and the Samsung Drivers. Both are included in the GTab89Files.zip from nirogu325's guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20586389&postcount=1 (You'll find it under "Download Pack".)

If you are new to this whole rooting thing, I strongly recommend to read his FAQ section before proceeding!

DO NOT USE the recoveries included. Just extract the "Odin" and the "Driver" folders.

2. Download the cwm recovery for the 7320 here: View attachment P7320T_cwm_recovery_alpha.zip and unzip it.

3. You can check if you have correct drivers installed by trying step 4 and 5 first. If Odin does not recognize your device, install the driver (SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe).

4. Put your device in "Download-Mode": switch it off, hold volume down (the left volume key) and power until you're asked if you want to continue what you confirm by pressing volume up (the right volume key). Alternatively you can put it in download mode with a simple "adb reboot download" if you have usb-debugging enabled and adb installed...

5. Connect your device DIRECTLY to your PC and open Odin as administrator. You should see a yellow field (ID:COM/ some values). If not your tablet is not recognized correctly and you probably need to reinstall the drivers.

6. click on "PDA" and select "P7320T_cwm_recovery_alpha.tar.md5". LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE AS IT IS. (only "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" should be checked) and then...click on "Start".

Flashing should be finished within a second or so.

You can enter recovery mode by switching off the tablet, then holding the right volume key and pressing power until it vibrates or use "adb reboot recovery".

How to root your device

After cwm installation, rooting your device is pretty straight forward:

1. Download Superuser.zip: View attachment Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

2. Put it on your sdcard.

3. Start cwm recovery as described above.

4. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....."

Step 4 may abort with some error, but if you repeat it for maybe 2,3 or even 4 times, it will finish successfully.

Your phone is now rooted. :D

Enable usb charging

Here is the usb-charging-enabled kernel I promised yesterday. It's based on the Samsung GT-P7320T Kernel for HC. USB charging is based on pershoot's kernel for the galaxy tab 10.1. thanks for providing the sources. Everything is working (wlan, bluetooth, camera,etc).

usb charging is enabled by default.

Installing the kernel

1. although I have also made a cwm flashable zip containing the stock kernel for the 7320T please do a full system backup before messing around with your tab.

2. download the modified kernel: View attachment signed_GTP7320T_glitschis_kernel_v_0_3.zip

3. optional: download the stock kernel from here: View attachment signed_GTP7320T_stock_kernel_dvlb2.zip

4. put the file(s) on your sdcard.

5. start into CWM recovery (again: as described above)

6. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"signed_GTP7320T_glitschis_kernel_v_0_3.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....." to install the kernel. (reverting to stock also works this way, just choose the stock kernel zip (see 3.))

6. restart the tab.

Disable usb charging (Why??!!?)

If you have adb installed, it can be turned off with following command:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging
    and turn it on again:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging

Both commands will take effect after unplugging and reconnecting your device. And the setting will be lost after reboot.

Does anybody know a widget that does exactly that? - including showing the current status???

return to stock

There are two possible ways:

- Find a stock rom and install it with odin, that will reset you whole device...
    - Or follow the steps described below, to remove superuser, the kernel and the cwm recovery. Everything else will stay as it is.

1. Download View attachment signed_superuser_uninstall.zip and put it on your sdcard.

1b. If you also installed the kernel, please find the stock kernel download link above and put the file on your sdcard.

2. Start into CWM recovery (again: as described above)

3. Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "select zip from sdcard"->"signed_superuser_uninstall.zip" and confirm selection by choosing "Yes - Install ....."

3b. now is the time to flash the stock kernel, in case you have flashed the custom kernel.

4. Reboot your device and put it into download mode.

5. Download View attachment stock_recovery_7320.zip. Unzip and install with Odin - exactly the same way you installed the cwm recovery before.

If you encounter any problems or have feature requests, please report them. Any feedback is highly appreciated!

as requested, I've created a github account and uploaded the sources: https://github.com/glitschi/kernel_P7320

credits:

go to koush for cwm sources,to utkanos for his i957 port, to kershoot for his usb charging patch, to chainfire for Superuser.zip, to suwandiapr for providing the factory image, to nirogu325,to EndoSurf, to orlandoxpolice, and to everybody else testing! and xda for hosting so much useful information!

cheers,
    glitschi :cool:
    Howdy guys, from Aust Gold Coast. Bout to give this a shot on my new Galaxy Tab. I am keen to start dev'ing on this device.
    You need to flash a kernel which has this feature build in, since the stock kernel does not allow charging on USB.

I have a USB charging enabled kernel here for almost 2 days now, but the camera was not working - until an hour ago. :D

It was kind of hard and kept me working long hours figuring out what was going on there, and I almost gave up, thinking samsung released non working source.... (what they actually did, but it took 4 lines of code to get it working finally....)

I still have to do some testing. But if everything looks good, I'm going to release a cwm flashable zip containing the new kernel within the next hours. Along with a guide how to install it and enable USB charging.

cheers,
    glitschi

update: lots of other stuff to do..... will post tomorrow.....

update2: updated! see post #1
    super user link

The superuser download link is broken :(
    What feature are you missing from the current one? I have a cwm recovery IMG from cm10 that I can upload if you need. Only issue is the volume keys are reversed. I don't use it myself though.

Sent from my GT-P7320 using xda app-developers app

Looks like you need to implement something like https://github.com/cmorlok/android_device_samsung_p4-common/blob/cm-10.1/recovery/recovery_ui.c . That is mapping for p7300/7310.