[APP][4.1+] File Beam - Send files with Android Beam™

Search This thread

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
File Beam is a quick application to send files using Android Beam™ (requires 4.1 and NFC hardware)

You've probably used Android Beam™ before, the AOSP Gallery, Contacts, Browser etc all use it.
However, I haven't seen any file managers that implement sending files using Android Beam™, so I made this app.

To use it, tap the share button on any file in any file manager, then tap two devices together.

The API to send files using Android Beam™ was added in 4.1, so the application won't work on anything before that (both devices need 4.1, but only the sender needs the app)

This application is ad-supported, there's a donate button in the app, but please note, it does NOT disable ads, this isn't a con scheme or anything, but this is my first Android app, and until I figure out how to track donations using an API or otherwise, that's how it's going to be (patch welcome though!)

The application is also open source, licensed under GPLv3, with the source available on Github: https://github.com/MohammadAG/android-file-beam

Screenshots:
9SdGgzql.png
91SlAnSl.png

About the ™, Android docs have it on all mentions of Android Beam™, and I'm not sure about legalities and stuff, so I did the same.

Last edited:

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org

spaceman860

Jan 11, 2012
Works on nexus 4 running 4.2.2. This is a very good app :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4

salmander

Dec 11, 2008
Does it use the Bluetooth to transfer the file or Wifi Direct? Just to be clear, what I know is that NFC is only used to initiate the connection, then depending on the application it either sends the data by Wifi Direct or bluetooth. So which one does this uses? Sorry I haven't tried it yet, I only have one phone but Good Job mate.

Best of luck for the future.

EDIT: Sorry my bad, just read the description in the playstore and it uses Bluetooth.

Last edited:

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Does it use the Bluetooth to transfer the file or Wifi Direct? Just to be clear, what I know is that NFC is only used to initiate the connection, then depending on the application it either sends the data by Wifi Direct or bluetooth. So which one does this uses? Sorry I haven't tried it yet, I only have one phone but Good Job mate.

Best of luck for the future.

EDIT: Sorry my bad, just read the description in the playstore and it uses Bluetooth.

The official docs say that Android Beam decides what to use. So afaik it should use either WiFi direct or bluetooth depending on the situation (in all my tests it used Bluetooth)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I love the concept of this app but why not force it to send files with nfc+wifi direct? bluetooth its useless for sending files, too damn slow :crying:

TigTigerTig

May 22, 2012
Armagh
All I get is a notification on the device receiving the file saying "Incoming beam", and bluetooth turns on for both the devices, but no file is ever sent. I'm using the N4 and N7, is anyone else getting this?

Mac of York

Jun 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Thank you for this! I just used NFC for the first time today and I was shocked to see this wasn't a built in Android feature. I saw the article on the main page and I quickly downloaded.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    File Beam is a quick application to send files using Android Beam™ (requires 4.1 and NFC hardware)

You've probably used Android Beam™ before, the AOSP Gallery, Contacts, Browser etc all use it.
    However, I haven't seen any file managers that implement sending files using Android Beam™, so I made this app.

To use it, tap the share button on any file in any file manager, then tap two devices together.

The API to send files using Android Beam™ was added in 4.1, so the application won't work on anything before that (both devices need 4.1, but only the sender needs the app)

This application is ad-supported, there's a donate button in the app, but please note, it does NOT disable ads, this isn't a con scheme or anything, but this is my first Android app, and until I figure out how to track donations using an API or otherwise, that's how it's going to be (patch welcome though!)

The application is also open source, licensed under GPLv3, with the source available on Github: https://github.com/MohammadAG/android-file-beam

Screenshots:
    9SdGgzql.png
    91SlAnSl.png

About the ™, Android docs have it on all mentions of Android Beam™, and I'm not sure about legalities and stuff, so I did the same.
    It is said to see that an app with only 200 lines of codes pulls in advertisments.

It's also sad that you complain about that when it's open source; you can build it without the ads.

Version 1.1 should be in the store in an hour(or more? Just published it).
    Changelog:
    [1.1]
    • Support sending multiple files at once, receiver will put all files in one folder.
    • Due to the above, support sending Titanium Backup files (only easy import for now!)
    • UI can be set to dialog mode in settings, this means the app you shared from will stay visible.
    • Ads can be disabled for free in settings.
    • Bug fixes.
    Is it possible to get NFC works with Wifi Direct on Nexus devices? Samsung get NFC to work using Wifi Direct which results a fast transfer speed compare to NFC and Bluetooth.. I've been searching for apps that can do so but haven't found it.

That would require the app to be installed on both devices, which wasn't the point of my app. I'll look into it later though :)

Got it to work from my SG3 running AOKP 4.2.2 to a N7 without issue. Took me a second to realize I needed to tap the screen on the sending side. Thought I had to do it on the receiving side for some reason.

My wife has a stock SG3 though and it doesn't seem to work with that. I'm assuming it's because TW uses NFC Direct? Android Beam isn't built into TW? Are there any tricks or settings to get that to work?

Great job on the app.

Just make sure she has 4.1+ on it. Settings -> About device -> Android version. If it's still at 4.0.4 you can OTA to 4.1.2 using software updates in the same screen.

If she has 4.1+ go to Settings -> More settings, check that NFC is on, then tap it and check that android beam is on.