How is your mt3gs holding up?

Search This thread

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
How long have you had it? This july will make it two years for me. How does your battery fair? I can usually make it last between 8 to 10 hours easily but I recently purchased spare batteries on amazon. It was a really good deal! Two 1500mAh batteries and a wall charger for like $11! So now when my battery dies I just swap it out with my spare. Have the plastic pieces around your camera fallen off? Lmao mine have. Does your phone ever mess up? I'm currently on rom XM-8 1.3 and idk if its the rom itself or my phone but when I slide my keyboard out and then back in my portrait orientation is messed up! Like the Notification bar is like at the bottom...basically everything is shifted up like .25 inches. I then have to hit the power button to renormalize it. Hope some of you mt3gs veterans reply! :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

PcFish

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Mine works the same as when I got it 19 months ago. I have a zagg full body armor on. Everything is pristine, even the keyboard hinge is as it was when I got it. Only difference on it is that I'm using CM7 and switched to a class 10 microSD with dtapps.

ovar

May 29, 2009
GR, MI
The shifting up of your screen is the beginning of your ribbon cable starting to fail. This happened to my MT3GS as well. Eventually you will have to stop using your physical keyboard of replace the ribbon cable.

I replaced my ribbon cable for $15 with a new one off EBAY. Wasn't too hard to do.

Sefy

Jan 2, 2007
Netanya
sefy76.wordpress.com
It's been exactly 1 year and 2 months now, and i just can't find a better alternative! :cool:
Seems like all new phones are meant for people with Giant Hands and Pockets! :p

Mine holds up for between 1 day and 2 days whole (sometimes even with WiFi on!) but depending on actual usage.
It fell of my hands to asphalt, but except a minor dent on the plastic back, left no scratches! i was amazed!
oh and my camera back thing fell, but i found it, and i'm using scotch tape to stick it in place :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: ggonsalv

aaldiar

Sep 21, 2010
Be a year and a half for me. I love S-Off and the custom splash 1 I made. Was going to upgrade to amaze during the Valentine's day. So glad I didn't. I love s-off and flash a different rom almost every weekend. Just recently bought a new micro SD to play with these awesome new sense roms!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
How is that class 10 treating you? I wanted to get one but ended up getting like a class 4 or something 16 gb. I plan on getting a class 10 for my asus transformer prime though ;) get that 64gb without paying freaking $100 for it! How much was yours and where did you buy it from and what brand is it?

Mine works the same as when I got it 19 months ago. I have a zagg full body armor on. Everything is pristine, even the keyboard hinge is as it was when I got it. Only difference on it is that I'm using CM7 and switched to a class 10 microSD with dtapps.

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
The shifting up of your screen is the beginning of your ribbon cable starting to fail. This happened to my MT3GS as well. Eventually you will have to stop using your physical keyboard of replace the ribbon cable.

I replaced my ribbon cable for $15 with a new one off EBAY. Wasn't too hard to do.

Sweet thanks for the info bro! Is there some guide you followed? If so can you post a link? Cuz this crap gets annoying! How long does it take?

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
its been about 2 years since i got it :D I still like it... :)

I know right?! I only wish my screen was bigger, my processor was faster, my camera was at least 8mp, and that I had ICS. But if you really think about it you can live without that stuff. I plan on sticking with my mt3gs till death do us part! Lmao or until I have some spare cash to get a new phone...without a contract.

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
It's been exactly 1 year and 2 months now, and i just can't find a better alternative! :cool:

Mine holds up for between 1 day and 2 days whole (sometimes even with WiFi on!) but depending on actual usage.
It fell of my hands to asphalt, but except a minor dent on the plastic back, left no scratches! i was amazed!
oh and my camera back thing fell, but i found it, and i'm using scotch tape to stick it in place :-D

Yeah I went like a year without dropping mine and then suddenly this one month I was just like on crack or something and I dropped it like 6 times! On asphalt/concrete! Believe it or not my screen didn't break and it barely has any scratches :) Lmao about the scotch tape! Doesn't it look bad? Haha

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
Be a year and a half for me. I love S-Off and the custom splash 1 I made. Was going to upgrade to amaze during the Valentine's day. So glad I didn't. I love s-off and flash a different rom almost every weekend. Just recently bought a new micro SD to play with these awesome new sense roms!

Yeah I've seen the s-off but havnt tried it. What benefits does it give you? I thought about doing a custom splash as well but its too much work haha. Yeah I remember back when there would be a new rom like every week! Made it feel like a had new phone everytime!

Sefy

Jan 2, 2007
Netanya
sefy76.wordpress.com
Yeah I went like a year without dropping mine and then suddenly this one month I was just like on crack or something and I dropped it like 6 times! On asphalt/concrete! Believe it or not my screen didn't break and it barely has any scratches :) Lmao about the scotch tape! Doesn't it look bad? Haha

It's scotch taped from the inside, so you can't actually see it :D

aaldiar

Sep 21, 2010
Yeah I've seen the s-off but havnt tried it. What benefits does it give you? I thought about doing a custom splash as well but its too much work haha. Yeah I remember back when there would be a new rom like every week! Made it feel like a had new phone everytime!

With s-off I can flash the splash1 screen, mtd partitions and updated the radio with my computer and also try experimental recoveries. For the longer part of a year I used AOSP ROMs on my phone because I'm not big on sense. With that I didn't need dt's a2sd because I just change the partitions on the phone itself.

ggonsalv

Jan 20, 2011
With s-off I can flash the splash1 screen, mtd partitions and updated the radio with my computer and also try experimental recoveries. For the longer part of a year I used AOSP ROMs on my phone because I'm not big on sense. With that I didn't need dt's a2sd because I just change the partitions on the phone itself.

What is your MTD setup?

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
I am nearing 2 years on mine and I love it still. I've always had a case on it, I've always had a screen protector and it's going strong.

I recently got a class 10 16gb card from Amazon for under 20, amazon brand, and it has made a world of difference. I can actually run data from sd on the sense roms that are just too big.

I am coming up on contract renewal in April, but I plan on handing down my slide to my smart phone allergic wife.

I honestly have not seen a phone that I must have so I am not sure what I'll be getting if I'll be getting anything.

aaldiar

Sep 21, 2010
Seems sense is not kind to this phone, back to CM7 latest daily. I have my phone setup with 140 /system and 80 /cache. I delete a good bit from my roms though to slim them down. Don't use live wallpapers, YouTube app and a number of other things. I also add my own icons and audio files for ringtones and such.

Edit: seems with darktrmors app2sd I should be using at least /150 partition to allow for elastic space needs.

Edit 2: I have 1 gig set aside for darktremors app2sd with no swap.

Last edited:

SKAm69

Oct 2, 2009
I've had my MT3GS since the beginning of August 2010 and it's one of the best phones I've ever seen ( and I've seen a lot lol) Haven't had any hardware issues with it, dropped several times on concrete/asphalt and the screen didn't crack but I broke 4 hard cases because of that ;) , just some dent on the side and that's it. Modern phones like Sensation and Galaxy S2 are powerful but huge and I like the size of my phone. I'm still going to use it, the only phone that might be better for me is probably MT4GS lol.
Another thing that I like about MT3GS/4GS is that the phones aren't very popular and that makes them unique. And over here in Europe it's very very unique. Iphone users are so jealous, especially when I slide out the keyboard lol))

Last edited:

Marshmallovv

Nov 10, 2010
I've had my MT3GS since the beginning of August 2010 and it's one of the best phones I've ever seen ( and I've seen a lot lol) Haven't had any hardware issues with it, dropped several times on concrete/asphalt and the screen didn't crack but I broke 4 hard cases because of that ;) , just some dent on the side and that's it. Modern phones like Sensation and Galaxy S2 are powerful but huge and I like the size of my phone. I'm still going to use it, the only phone that might be better for me is probably MT4GS lol.
Another thing that I like about MT3GS/4GS is that the phones aren't very popular and that makes them unique. And over here in Europe it's very very unique. Iphone users are so jealous, especially when I slide out the keyboard lol))

Yes I love its rarity! People always stare or usually ask what kind of phone is that? Be jealous :) I like having things other people don't :p makes them that much better! Haha. And I can only imagine in europe haha

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So not cool... I drowned my MT3G slide today! :mad: Fell right in the sink. Got a MyTouch 4G Slide to replace it, which seems like a pretty sweet device so far. Just need to keep it out of the sink!

It's probably too late to try now, but you never know and for future reference, I thought I'd share this for those that do not already know....

The sooner you do this, the better your chances for saving your phone!

If your phone gets wet:
    PULL THE BATTERY! As quickly as possible!
    Dry phone as best you can, without shaking, turning over too much.
    Remove SIM and SD Card. (Pat then air dry)
    Use a vacuum cleaner and set up everything where it can pull air through the phone, preferably where the water entered. (It could take a while, but at least 20-30 min on each section of the phone where water could have entered)
    Never use a hair dryer due to moisture + heat can damage components and compromise adhesives. Also, I have heard that it is best to use a vacuum to suck air through, rather than something to blow air in so you do not push moisture deeper into the phone.
    Bury your phone in a bowl of dry rice overnight. (Silica packets that come packaged with electronics and other products can work even better than rice, but only if they have not already absorbed their max amount of moisture, which I have read that many have.)
    Carefully inspect phone for any leftover moisture. It may help to use vacuum again both for moisture and any rice dust.
    When trying to power on phone for first time, leave SIM and SD card out. If phone does not power on, try removing battery and plug into charger. If it comes on plugged in with no battery, the battery is likely bad.

I have also heard of people flushing their phone with cleaning alcohol to displace the water and let the alcohol evaporate, but I have also heard that this is a bad idea. So I would play it safe and NOT try this method.
    Another tip, and a somewhat surprising one: If your phone gets SALT water inside, after removing the battery, SIM and SD card, flush the phone with FRESH water! This sounds like it would be a very bad idea, however, when salt water evaporates, it leaves corrosive crystals behind which can cause even more damage to the internal components. Flushing it with fresh clean water may reduce the chances of this happening.

There is NO GUARANTEE that any of this will work for your drowned phone, but then, if it comes to this, what do you have left to lose? I have been fortunate enough to not have had to use any of these tips, so I cannot speak from personal experience that any of them will work any better than just letting it air dry for a couple of days. Some methods are also risky and could potentially do more harm than good, so it is entirely up to you if you even want to try them.

I just think it is better to try something than nothing, and hopefully this will save someone the trouble and cost of being forced to buy a new phone.