Adding MicroSD or Regular SD card reader to Kindle fire 1st Gen

Search This thread

PCiE

Dec 31, 2013
So, lately I have been looking around and found some intresting threads on hardware mods for the kindle fire 1st gen. Sadly there isnt much and none really seemed to fit what I wanted to do. So I got the idea of trying this myself. Now the reason i want a SD card or Microsd is because of the lack of storage, I easily go through it with games,movies,apps, etc. And need more space which I just cant get on the Kindle because of Amazon not implementing it.

This seems like a intermediate project, considering I need to solder correctly. I do not want to use UART mostly cause I really never knew what it did and how to hook up modules to it.

My theory is that i can find a micro-usb port and soldering the reader to the port (usb to microusb). I also know I will need drivers probably for this which I do not have experience in coding that much so I may need help. I will be adding a switch to the Readers connection to the soldered port due to the reader having problems in the future and needs to be removed and causes issues with the device. Now for readers I havent really picked any out but there are some pretty small ones. I think that ill use micro SD for this due to the small size of it , so if you got any readers that are good for this project send me a link so I can pick one up:good:.

PCiE

Dec 31, 2013
ncYGyqk.png

The picture above is a iphone 5 speaker which is gonna be used to replace the speaker. I am showing the pins for the speaker in this picture aswell. The reason im ripping out the Kindle speaker is because of the MicroSD card reader which I will be showing in the picture below.

T2gtnKa.jpg

As you can see this is where the reader will be placed and the speakers are being replaced with the iphone 5 speaker. I will be cutting a spot for the reader to go.

lifegap

Very interested in this project

ncYGyqk.png

The picture above is a iphone 5 speaker which is gonna be used to replace the speaker. I am showing the pins for the speaker in this picture aswell. The reason im ripping out the Kindle speaker is because of the MicroSD card reader which I will be showing in the picture below.

T2gtnKa.jpg

As you can see this is where the reader will be placed and the speakers are being replaced with the iphone 5 speaker. I will be cutting a spot for the reader to go.
Please update your work, the 1st Kindle Fire is one of my best audio player thanks to the big output volume. It can drive my full size headphone but the storage limit to 5.6 GB. Have you sucessfully add the port?

I read somewhere in XDA that the Ti OMAP 4430 in KF1 is not friendly with external MicroSD but there are lots of devices running Ti-OMAP 4430 has the MicroSD: Samsung I9100G Galaxy S II or LG Optimus L9 P760 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110

Last edited: