[APP][2.2+][Retired] ALTitude, Latitude updater with a low battery footprint

Search This thread

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
Here's the logcat.
I basically cleared the logcat, started ALTitude, waited a few seconds, then got the logcat. Hope that process was ok. If I should do anything else let me know :cyclops:

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    3 KB · Views: 5

Rob2222

Feb 18, 2008
You have to be careful interpreting frequence and precision. As the sdk states the location is not being updated 'at least' as often as specified.
In other words setting frequency to 15 minute won't get you an update every 15 minutes if you are not moving. I have tracing enabled on my test version right now and can see that updates happen regularly when I move (cells) but the updates going down to 1 to 0 updates when I am at the office the whole day or home at night.
This is optimal in terms of power as far as I can see.

Hmm, OK, from that point of view its perfect.
But when I didn't move the whole day, my friends see my postion update is 8 hours old and think that its outdated cause they think my phone is offline. At least I personally only trust position updates if they are newer than 30 mins cause my friends could have gone offline.
Can you maybe implement a force update checkbox, that it sends position to server, even if it wakes the device for the sending?
I know, it's more battery consuming, but its just a option to switch on/off and maybe someone finds that option suitable for his demands.
Just an idea.

Best Regards
Robert

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hmm, OK, from that point of view its perfect.
But when I didn't move the whole day, my friends see my postion update is 8 hours old and think that its outdated cause they think my phone is offline. At least I personally only trust position updates if they are newer than 30 mins cause my friends could have gone offline.
Can you maybe implement a force update checkbox, that it sends position to server, even if it wakes the device for the sending?
I know, it's more battery consuming, but its just a option to switch on/off and maybe someone finds that option suitable for his demands.
Just an idea.

Best Regards
Robert

I think I found a better way to do that (it's added in 0.11 that is almost finished). The trick here is to offer you the possibility to set an update accuracy "0". This will force the location manager to orient itself to the interval. On the other hand even with an interval 0 it should not update every time you move by 10 meters as the interval is given. The same logic would be to set the interval to 0 and the accuracy to a value, trying to force an update every x meters. I'll do some last testing and will release that with other fixes

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hello,

but I assume accuracy "0" then fires up GPS every time, right?

BR
Rob

I haven't checked what happens when gps is on but leaving it with 0m and 30 minutes overnight does not deliver the right result: the location has refreshed approx every 5 minutes for the last 12 hours. As I already explained before the time component is no guarantee so I will remove 0 again as I think it may lead to more questions. I will add an option for updating the location 'at least every X' and manage this with an alarm. The alarm will be set on start and every location update will of course reset the counter of the alarm as the phone is awake at that time anyway. The technique for actively getting a location will be triggered by the alarm. Now this is a guarantee for requesting the location at a minimum frequency but of course no guarantee to deliver it as
A) there may be no location available
B) it may not be possible to update latitude

Reactions: Rob2222

Rob2222

Feb 18, 2008
Very nice. Thanks! :)
I hope I am not the only one how needs/wants this, so that you don't had the work just cause of me.

Best Regards
Robert

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Release 0.11

The release 0.11 is rolling out on Google play. For the changelog see post #2

There were two known issues you guys had reported that I could not reproduce but I have added more logging for that:
- Notifications showing despite the fact that they were diabled
- Licensing of full version was not recognised in a JB device (I have tested JB positively)

If those persist please post a logcat so I can check if the added logging data gives me more valuable info

Reactions: cdmackay

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
@chamonix
The latest version does not seem to fix my issue, it still does not recognize that my license is installed :(
I've attached a logcat, and it keeps showing this error
I/Configuration(22866): no license was detected: -2

It may just be a really weird issue...If you don't know what to do to remedy the situation, I'm sure I'll do a full wipe soon, so I'll let you know if the issue persists after a clean flash :highfive:

BTW, do you know any way to reduce the overhead from the cellular/wifi location services? I'm trying to use Google Now/the new Voice Search often, but it requires enabling Location Services which tend to wake the phone up quite often even if I don't change location.

Thanks again for the help :cyclops: (I know, these smilies are so random but I'm still getting used to them/having fun :laugh:)

Attachments

• logcat_altitude.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 3

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@chamonix
The latest version does not seem to fix my issue, it still does not recognize that my license is installed :(
I've attached a logcat, and it keeps showing this error
I/Configuration(22866): no license was detected: -2

It may just be a really weird issue...If you don't know what to do to remedy the situation, I'm sure I'll do a full wipe soon, so I'll let you know if the issue persists after a clean flash :highfive:

BTW, do you know any way to reduce the overhead from the cellular/wifi location services? I'm trying to use Google Now/the new Voice Search often, but it requires enabling Location Services which tend to wake the phone up quite often even if I don't change location.

Thanks again for the help :cyclops: (I know, these smilies are so random but I'm still getting used to them/having fun :laugh:)

Thanks for the feedback. I will check on the error -2 as it may give us more info about the reason why the license was not found. I am at work right now but will get back to you when I am at my dev PC.

About the location with google now: I have it on my ICS and jd phones and also noticed the overhead. I also found out that now seems to use latitude as I got a notification telling me that it couldn't be used because my location was set to manual (as I use altitude). I am interested in finding out what cards use latitude an if the location history is also accessed (eg to find out how often you travel certain legs). Tbh time is what I am missing for that right now :)

Last edited:

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I will check on the error -2 as it may give us more info about the reason why the license was not found. I am at work right now but will get back to you when I am at my dev PC.

About the location with google now: I have it on my ICS and jd phones and also noticed the overhead. I also found out that now seems to use latitude as I got a notification telling me that it couldn't be used because my location was set to manual (as I use altitude). I am interested in finding out what cards use latitude an if the location history is also accessed (eg to find out how often you travel certain legs). Tbh time is what I am missing for that right now :)

No problem, and thanks! Any time is OK. I'll try and get around to doing a full wipe to see if it helps.
Also, for Google Now, I'm not sure if it will help but here is some information regarding what cards seem to use what data (at the bottom of the page): http://www.google.com/landing/now/.
FWIW, I've read that setting your "home" and "work" locations in Latitude helps for the Trafic card to pop up, so it may be related to that card specifically. But, I'm able to get the Traffic card working without using location history, and setting my location to manual.
Hope it helps! :cowboy:

Reactions: chamonix

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
No problem, and thanks! Any time is OK. I'll try and get around to doing a full wipe to see if it helps.
Also, for Google Now, I'm not sure if it will help but here is some information regarding what cards seem to use what data (at the bottom of the page): http://www.google.com/landing/now/.
FWIW, I've read that setting your "home" and "work" locations in Latitude helps for the Trafic card to pop up, so it may be related to that card specifically. But, I'm able to get the Traffic card working without using location history, and setting my location to manual.
Hope it helps! :cowboy:

Ok I checked the code and -2 means that the license class could not be found. Possible causes are:
- the package is not installed: now I guess we can forget that one
- the package is there but for whatever reason ALTitude has no permissions to access it (normally this is impossible too as both ALTitude and the license are in the same package (read namespace)

Cleaning the dalvik cache and fixing the permissions is what comes to my mind right now

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
Ok I checked the code and -2 means that the license class could not be found. Possible causes are:
- the package is not installed: now I guess we can forget that one
- the package is there but for whatever reason ALTitude has no permissions to access it (normally this is impossible too as both ALTitude and the license are in the same package (read namespace)

Cleaning the dalvik cache and fixing the permissions is what comes to my mind right now

Tried it out but it doesn't seem to work :( I've attached another logcat but it keeps throwing the same line "I/Configuration( 8688): no license was detected: -2"
I'll try to get around to a wipe tonight and report back if I can. Thanks again for all the help :highfive:

Attachments

• logcat_altitude_2.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 3

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
@chamonix
I tried the ALTitude free + license on my LG-P500 (Optimus T) and it works fine. I'm going to try wiping and reflashing the stock 4.1.1 OTA now and see if it works :fingers-crossed:

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
@chamonix
I tried the ALTitude free + license on my LG-P500 (Optimus T) and it works fine. I'm going to try wiping and reflashing the stock 4.1.1 OTA now and see if it works :fingers-crossed:

Just tried a full wipe + flashing Bigxie 4.1.1 OTA and it doesn't work. I didn't do any mods (no navbar, battery, stock kernel), just downloaded the free app, then logged in, downloaded the license, then rebooted but it still shows "ALTitude Free" and throws the same -2 error. I've attached another logcat in case it is useful. Any other ideas? Thanks for helping out so far :)
BTW, I can see why you like debugging this stuff so much...it's like a treasure hunt :good:

Attachments

• alt_logcat_wiped.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 3

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just tried a full wipe + flashing Bigxie 4.1.1 OTA and it doesn't work. I didn't do any mods (no navbar, battery, stock kernel), just downloaded the free app, then logged in, downloaded the license, then rebooted but it still shows "ALTitude Free" and throws the same -2 error. I've attached another logcat in case it is useful. Any other ideas? Thanks for helping out so far :)
BTW, I can see why you like debugging this stuff so much...it's like a treasure hunt :good:

Ok now I'm starting to worry about me missing something important here. I have check the feedback on google play to see if there is a mass problem but nothing. This is no guarantee considering that the last comment is from june.
There is only one difference (discarding the JB ROM for now) between your phone and mine: my installation comes from my dev PC and not from the market. I don't see any difference but again, I don't see any reason for the license check to fail either. So here's the deal: I will PM you the signed APK if you give me your word (yes, I am old-school ;) )that you will use it only for the purpose of testing and will not re-distribute it. If we are till stuck after that I would like you to give me the details about the ROM you have installed so that I can flash the same and go on with further tests

Reactions: superbobup

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
Ok now I'm starting to worry about me missing something important here. I have check the feedback on google play to see if there is a mass problem but nothing. This is no guarantee considering that the last comment is from june.
There is only one difference (discarding the JB ROM for now) between your phone and mine: my installation comes from my dev PC and not from the market. I don't see any difference but again, I don't see any reason for the license check to fail either. So here's the deal: I will PM you the signed APK if you give me your word (yes, I am old-school ;) )that you will use it only for the purpose of testing and will not re-distribute it. If we are till stuck after that I would like you to give me the details about the ROM you have installed so that I can flash the same and go on with further tests

You're truly an amazing dev, chamonix. I give you my word i wouldn't ever distribute it. It'll stay safe on my phone :D
Hopefully it works and we can narrow this issue down...if it doesn't, well, I guess that just means more hunting to do!
I'll also keep trying the market version. I'm currently on the stock OTA ROM and if I switch over to something else, I'll make sure to see if the market version works.
Thank you a million times over and I'm sure we'll find the fix to this eventually :highfive:

93ae8074

May 16, 2011
Melbourne
Just to add some more noise, I'm having the same problem, ALTitude doesn't recognize my license file. I'm in JB 4.1.1, no deodexed and rooted.

I'll be watching this thread and if you need some help to debug the issue don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    create-qr-code

As Google shut down Latitude I was forced to retire ALTitude as well.

I like Google Latitude for its location history and the possibility to share my location with friends. Unfortunately the price to pay in terms of battery drain is too high and that the is the reason why I started this project.

To get the benefits of ALTitude you should change the setting in Google Latitude to "manual update" and use ALTitude to update your location instead. If you want to see your friends you can still use Latitude but without the energy footprint.

Features:
    - OAuth2 logon to google latitude: no username / password stored
    - configurable accuracy and frequency for updating Latitude.
    - start on boot (full version)
    - show your friends on Latitude

How it works
    Android has the concept of LocationProviders to deliver location based information to apps. There are three LocationProviders:
    - Coarse location: provided by wifi / cell towers
    - Fine location: GPS
    - Passive: relies on the next location info requested by another app

In addition to this there are requirements to the LocationProvider in terms of "accuracy" and "frequency", e.g. "I want updates at least very 15 minutes with a precision of 1000m". The higher these requirements are the higher the battery drain will be. No only will the phone be waken up when a location change was detected but this information must then be passed o latitude using the google latitude API.

What ALTitude does is us a sensible mix of LocationProvider and accuracy/frequency to track location changes and update those to Latitude.
    qabToGsOEw9_0WEDMrowg4pJmPPIguYxT3dcTgDWV33Zvu0LIntsCprk0wCWgQfpQG4=h210
    ALTitude is available on Google Play (https://play.google.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterlatitude) for free with with ads (fully featured).

Starting from version 0.10 ALTitude supports multiple languages. If you miss your language please feel free to contribute: http://www.getlocalization.com/altitude/

Follow me on twitter to be notified of updates and get insights in new features/developments.

New I have decided to give the new beta channel possibilities on google play a try and have created a google+ community. If you are interested in testing release candidates you can now also subscribe to that community or drop me your g+ contact so that I can invite you.

Changelog
    V0.13
    Same as RC4

V0.13RC4
    #90: Free version is now fully features

V0.13RC3
    #83: after google logon / auth an empty page is shown, suggesting an error
    #84: added last updated location name to status on main screen (if geocoding enabled)
    #85: lat/long were reversed in locale/tasker plugin
    #86: added better precision to fix when set from locale/tasker plugin
    #89: free version now has all features enabled

V0.13RC2
    #77 and #78 limit the update accuracy/frequency independently from the location manager updates
    ActionBar for pre-ICS devices as well as dark/light themes
    Update to current locale plugin implementation

V0.13RC1 2013-01-26
    #50: locale plugin to set location manually

V.12.1 on Google Play
    #71: screen showing two inconsistent update times
    #72: interval shown on screen on free version may be wrong
    #73: fixed units for intervals

V0.12 on Google Play 2013-01-01
    No change from .012RC4

V0.12RC4 2012-12-31
    #70: added more logging details when latitude update fails

V0.12RC3 2012-12-29
    #69: fixed QoS alarms always being triggered
    Make better use of criteria to make sure "network" is used most of the times even if "gps" is on

V0.12RC2 2012-12-26
    #66: add option to disable location updates on main screen

V0.12RC1 2012-12-21
    #62: Quick setup at a glance
    #63: Moved status info to main screen
    #67: Widget to toggle quick settings
    #68: Cancel button in quick settings not working when quick settings running

V0.11.0.1 2012-07-19
    #61: License not recognized on JB (many thanks for superbobup for the intensive testing!)

V0.11 2012-07-15
    #53: Fixed multiple FC conditions from crash reports
    #57: Status dialog was always showing interval as 0s
    #60: Added a QoS option to make sure that the last known location is updated at least every <interval>
    Added more extensive logging
    V0.10.0.1 2012-06-25
    #52: Error condition at boot
    V0.10.0.0 2012-06-24
    #16: allow changing setting from tasker
    #33: add threshold to avoid obcessing about connection errors
    #35: option to update (buffered) locations when a wifi connection is available
    #43 and #44: fixed multiple error conditions from google play logs
    #45: notifications not shown when geo is off
    #46: add german and french
    #49: added passive location provider

V0.9.0 2012-02-26
    #41: added release notes
    #37, 38, 39, 40: fixed various FC and null pointer exceptions from market logs
    #36: ALTitude stops working after a period in airplane mode
    #32: FC if no location provider is present (see also #36)
    #34: Redesinged status concept and display on mains screen
    #30: Added intervals > 1 hour to preferences
    Moved to ICS SDK / guidelines

V0.8.2 2011-11-29
    Fixed FC upon opening quick action dialog when a quick action is running
    Fixed notification of address not always showing
    Added number of buffered location to the status dialog
    V0.8.1 2011-11-29
    Fixed FC on free version when opening preferences
    V0.8.0 2011-11-28
    #8: Added current city (geo location) to notifications
    #24. Detect data connection prio to updating Latitude
    #26: Added Menu option to jump from ALTitude to Latitude
    #28: Added a quick action in order to change location settings (precision) for a given period of time

V0.7.0 - 2011-10-11
    #19: categories to preferences
    #23: Fixed bug: service was not starting on boot
    #6: added nearest city to badge on map
    #20: Fixed bug: default values of location manager not showing in free version
    #22: reposition map when turning device from landscape t portrait
    #21: show latitude connection status on main activity

Feature requests

I maintain the original list of features to be implemented and bugs here.

Known issues
    It's sad but as latitude was retired I will retire this thread too and remove the app from gplay.

But do not fear, I will be back with another location assistant soon (I already have some ideas about a personal tracker)
    Today's announcement of Google discontinuing Latitude is bad news for ALTitude. I have already depublished the donation app as I don't want to earn money on something that is doomed in its current stage.
    Before Latitude closes definitely I will:
    - release a new version based on the latest beta for you to enjoy the features as long as they work
    - make all features available in the free version

I have also started looking into alternatives of using ALTitude to update the google+ location. Unfortunately neither is there a documented API to do that nor does Google be willing to allow third parties to update google+ as the location reporting must be active in maps.

If anyone has a suggestion about a serious alternative to latitude with an API to develop against I'd be happy to take a look and evaluate the option of switching from google to another provider. Personally I feel that there is a need for such a service to manage a user's location as a data object and not only an attribute to an action like a post or checkin. Most implementations I know are like facebook, foursquare or twitter where the location can only be attached to an action.
    Release 1.13RC1

New release is up, introducing locale/tasker/llama plugin to set location manually. Have fun!