[Q] Stable 4.2 ROM Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Hello Gang,

A friend of mine just got a I500 from his carrier, brand new, as an upgrade from his non-smartphone phone. But, it is running 2.x. He asked me to update the firmware and he doesnt mind an aftermarket one, but I personally want your input to see which one out there is a more....bare bones firmware with no major setting that could confuse or frustrate him (ie...theming, overclocking, etc).

Ive seen Helly Bean and even the standard CM10.1, Gee Whiz? I dunno. Kinda hoped for a TouchWhiz ROM for him.

Thanks,

Paul.....

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
Well I'd say (in no particular order )
geewiz,,, super nexus,,, carbon,,, or cm10.1.
But you are not going to go wrong with any of them

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
if you wanna get him a TouchWiz ROM, look at RemICS JB. it's based off of Touchwiz 5 and looks quite a bit like a GS3/Note 2.
i've had the most success with cm10.1. GeeWiz uses Samsung's RFS file system, so you may see improved performance in that, or more things working.

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
if you wanna get him a TouchWiz ROM, look at RemICS JB. it's based off of Touchwiz 5 and looks quite a bit like a GS3/Note 2.
i've had the most success with cm10.1. GeeWiz uses Samsung's RFS file system, so you may see improved performance in that, or more things working.

Well not entirely true, remics looks like tw... But on jellybean 4.2.2 platform.
Runs same partition and file system setup, etc, etc

Avatar Rom has the themes to suite nearly anyone's taste, pretty solid rom too.

They all have their perks!

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
man, i'm loving helly bean. came back to it tonight after cm7 was having some issues (wifi was being really flaky) and it's fantastic. the things Devil Kernel can too is overwhelming yet amazing :p
this is the first time i've ever seen this phone run jelly bean 4.2.2, which has its problems, absolutely perfectly. even on my old class 2 SD card. @hhp_211 i proved you wrong man :p lol

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
man, i'm loving helly bean. came back to it tonight after cm7 was having some issues (wifi was being really flaky) and it's fantastic. the things Devil Kernel can too is overwhelming yet amazing :p
this is the first time i've ever seen this phone run jelly bean 4.2.2, which has its problems, absolutely perfectly. even on my old class 2 SD card. @hhp_211 i proved you wrong man :p lol

Lol, sweet. Just proved that you had bad flashes before! Lol :D

Glad you got it!

ConstantHero

Apr 22, 2012
+1 for helly, it's been my daily rom for awhile now. Tried all the latest but have always returned to hellybean. Hoping for a 4.3 from the devil!

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
I've been using Helly Bean as my daily driver for a long time and I love it. Once in a while I'll flash the CM10.1 nightly to see how it's doing, but I always seem to have some weird issue or another that makes me go right back to the stability of HB. My only issue with HB is that after using it for a week or so it starts to bog down quicker and quicker. I have to reboot at least once a day now to keep it snappy, whereas when you do a fresh install you can go days without a slowdown. It's not really a huge deal though, and it's still the #1 rom imo.

uh-oh...

Hey Guys,

I flashed Helly Bean via Guide I found here.....and It had no data connection now. I checked through the setting and it's on AUTO mobile networks etc.

Now if I revert back to the Original VZW ROM as indicated in the Guide I do get the connectivity back. Suggestions??

:confused:

ConstantHero

Apr 22, 2012
Hey Guys,

I flashed Helly Bean via Guide I found here.....and It had no data connection now. I checked through the setting and it's on AUTO mobile networks etc.

Now if I revert back to the Original VZW ROM as indicated in the Guide I do get the connectivity back. Suggestions??

Did you wipe the big 3? I even like to format system in mounts/storage in recovery when I flash a new rom from stock. I have always had data on helly

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
Hey Guys,

i have also had data on helly bean whenever i flashed it. try reverting back to stock (it should reflash the EH03 radio as well, my personal recommendation for fassy radios), putting Helly Bean on the phone's SD card (along with Ultra Slim Gapps, not regular Gapps) and then follow these steps:
1. open Odin and put the phone in download mode
2. flash ClockWorkMod 4 fixed for CM7
3. close odin, eject phone, open odin, insert phone
4. flash GBBootloaders
5. close odin and eject phone
6. reboot the phone into recovery, wipe data/factory reset and go to advanced>wipe dalvik cache
7. flash the ROM (it'll boot into its recovery on its own, let it be)
8. flash the Ultra Slim Gapps
9. reboot

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
Sorry, "Stable Roms" conversation is too close to "Best Roms " conversation. As all roms are, or could be, stable for some, but not others.

Users are expected and encourage to read and learn on their own to make these determinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.