The best Micro SD Card for the Galaxy S5

Search This thread

purevochir.g

Nov 3, 2012
what do you think about Samsung 64GB EVO Plus Micro-SDXC, UHS-I-U1-Class-10 memory card. or can you recommend me one from mymemory(dot)ie this webstore :D

steph3003

Jan 13, 2012
is it possible to create a partition on a Micro SD card?

I bought one 128gb, and during setup I chose to use it for pseudo "internal" memory, but now Camera doesn't recognise it and neither file explorers.

So I want to divide it into 2 parts, one for "apps" and one for "data"...

Turbo///M

May 15, 2016
Would there be a difference between a class 1 & class 3 for the Samsung s5?want to see if performance is different.

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
Would there be a difference between a class 1 & class 3 for the Samsung s5?want to see if performance is different.
any of the uhc class "I" (10) from sandisk, samsung or pony seem to work fine in my s5 active, video and games run fine. as soon as samsung has the 200gb "II" 3 up again I will post results. I just hope they go down to $80 when the 256 comes out in june

Android2003

Apr 1, 2014
I bought samsung evo+ 64gb memory card for my g901f S5+.
80mb/20mb.
Its very quick.
Was a good deal. 20€ on ebay, new.

sent from my Nokia 3210 using xda-Developers mobile app

SithBoxer

Apr 14, 2013
LG V20
OnePlus 8T
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3NMVVU/
Bought the 128GB Samsung EVO for 35$, and I am incredibly happy with it. Even handles video recording flawlessly. I also play a lot of games and carry around video and music with me everywhere, no issues at all. I am not sure why people are paying so much more for the higher speed cards when they seem to be unnecessary (at least in the S5). However if prices on the EVO+ stay this low (presently $42), the EVO+ should probably be your choice:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3NMVVU/

Last edited:

justanotherlogin

Jul 11, 2016
I bought the 90/80MB samsung pro 64GB. I think it's completely pointless to buy the fast ones for this phone, according to A1 SD bench app i get these numbers. Nowhere near what this card is capable of. Also encryption really takes a chunk out of the speed. A1 SD bench has a logging feature so you can look online and see what other S5 users report, and my scores are pretty much what other people get.

without encryption lollipop 2016-07-01 A1 SD bench, read 40.73 write 29.36
encryption lollipop 2016-07-01 A1 SD bench, read 32.99 write 19.01
encryption lollipop after reboot 2016-07-01 read 34.47 write 21.17
encrypted marshmallow 2016-07-06 read 31.98 write 14.77
encrypted marshmallow after reboot 2016-07-06 read 33.22 write 20.97

undogooder

Dec 14, 2014
I know this post hasn't been active for a few months but, has anybody used the 256gb evo plus in an s5 yet? Pros/cons? It should be compatible being sdxc, right?

skyrail01

Feb 10, 2011
paris
I've got a sandisk 64gb UHS-1 card. I used it in my S3 and now my S5.

The card worked fine in the S3 and now the S5, but connecting it to a PC is a complete pain - trying to copy files to the card becomes really slow and will eventually fail, sometimes it won't even list the content of a directory.

It doesn't matter how I connect the card - via phone (admittedly not tried the S5 yet), via inbuilt card reader, via the reader with an SD adapter (supplied with the card), using an external USB reader with and without the SD adapter.

I've tried 3 or 4 different PCs, running XP, 7 and 8.

The card eventually failed completely, I could format it in the phone but it'd then say it was corrupt, likewise the same happened via a PC, even when using the SD formatter from sdcard.org I had to send it to Sandisk in Hungary and they replaced it, but the new one is exactly the same.

Has anyone else experienced this?

yes, with a sandisk ultra 128gb microsdxc class 10.
this one: https://www.amazon.fr/Mémoire-microSDHC-SanDisk-Nouvelle-Version/dp/B010Q57S62

You can format it from windows7 with commandline instruction to format to exfat, or preferably from you phone (my Galaxy S5) which result seems more reliable.
I tried SDformatter and widows graphical format tool, easus partition manager to format to ext2, fat32, ntfs. It was formatted (very slowly for ext2) but unable to copy small or large file completely, and occured frequent lose of data and windows copy falling down.
Until now, only formatting from my phone seems ok.
But when I read sdcard in a card reader, windows still say I have to fix errors.
Pay attention which card reader you use, if it's bad contact or bad cable.
So I guess ther might be corruption issues. So I say no, do not fix it. There is no message when read from linux system.
Still good in my Sony camera.

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
yes, with a sandisk ultra 128gb microsdxc class 10.
this one: https://www.amazon.fr/Mémoire-microSDHC-SanDisk-Nouvelle-Version/dp/B010Q57S62

You can format it from windows7 with commandline instruction to format to exfat, or preferably from you phone (my Galaxy S5) which result seems more reliable.
I tried SDformatter and widows graphical format tool, easus partition manager to format to ext2, fat32, ntfs. It was formatted (very slowly for ext2) but unable to copy small or large file completely, and occured frequent lose of data and windows copy falling down.
Until now, only formatting from my phone seems ok.
But when I read sdcard in a card reader, windows still say I have to fix errors.
Pay attention which card reader you use, if it's bad contact or bad cable.
So I guess ther might be corruption issues. So I say no, do not fix it. There is no message when read from linux system.
Still good in my Sony camera.

Check that you have a genuine SD card. The symptoms you're describing are exactly like mine, I used SD Insight to check the card and it wasn't a Samsung (despite looking identical) and had less storage than it claimed. They work ok until they fill up to the point that your large files are being written to physical locations on the card that don't exist.

Reactions: xarmx

xarmx

Mar 26, 2015
I was wondering if what BRAND, TYPE, AND CLASS will be useful for the Galaxy S5? I heard that the 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 chip is good but doesnt have the full 70mbps reading speed and 20mbps writing speed support on a galaxy s4. It would really help me decide if you suggest what kind of sd card will be fit for the GS5. Thanks!

I'm using that exact microsd and its working flawlessly for me, though never check the actual read/writing speed

aminhamza95

Jul 12, 2012
I think any regular micro SD should be fine. I'm using a silicon power one and it's been around 2~ years and works perfect.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I think any regular micro SD should be fine. I'm using a silicon power one and it's been around 2~ years and works perfect.

i dont know i got my wifes s5 and its gone through 3 diffrent brand sd cars in the last 2 years kinda scared to throw my 32 gb evo in it
a sand disk a kingston and a samsug card all damaged
cards rarely ever came out of the phone unless it was actin up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got my card today. Samsung micro SDXC UHS-I Pro Class 10 64GB. Read up to 70MB/s Write up to 20 MB/s.

The S5 is compatible with 128GB cards, but way expensive.
    I've used a SanDisk 64GB card for over a year with no issues. Before that a 32GB, which was the same. SanDisk have the largest market share in the UK by some margin (which aggrieves Samsung). I never did see intrinsically higher return rates on SanDisk cards or Samsung cards. Both brands are good, both make there own flash memory (Samsung would tell you they make ALOT of flash memory).
    You however get lots of fake SanDisk cards (better brand equity), I've even seen reputable retailers get duped, which tends to happen less with Samsung.
    Buy from a reputable retailer and which ever brand you choose you will be fine. I personally prefer SanDisk but I don't have a rational reason for it. 128GB will drop in price over the next 6 months (obvious really). So I'd save your money. Faster cards are better and for the small difference in cost it's worth it. Although be aware that you are not paying for better quality "memory" as per se but a faster controller.
    I was wondering if what BRAND, TYPE, AND CLASS will be useful for the Galaxy S5? I heard that the 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 chip is good but doesnt have the full 70mbps reading speed and 20mbps writing speed support on a galaxy s4. It would really help me decide if you suggest what kind of sd card will be fit for the GS5. Thanks!

I have a samsung 64GB. As for the class, it's always class 10, any lower and your giving away performance. As for the type, not sure what that is, for me the type is MicroSD, and all class 10 64gb microsds are UHS-1. I have never had any performance issues with my card but i know sandisk released a gold edition version of their 64gb card that gives an extra 10mb boost, but not sure if its worth it for double the price of any other 64gb, if not, 70mb/s is more than enough