How To Fully UnRoot HTC Evo

Search This thread

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
First, you need to start over, and finish rooting the phone.

WHY??

BECAUSE:

You need to downgrade your misc partition, to lock the bootloader again to it's original state, which coincidentally is the first step of the unrooting process. There is no other way to change the bootloader from "UNLOCKED" to "LOCKED OWW" without some form of root. Since the bootloader is unlocked already, it would be easier for you to finish the rooting process and then come back to this guide to unroot.

You need to put the recovery.img file in the same directory where you are running your adb commands, and put the superuser.zip file on the root of your sdcard. You need to reboot your phone into FASTBOOT USB (Boot into the bootloader and click on FASTBOOT) with the phone connected to your computer. From the same prompt where you ran your adb commands, you should type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img <ENTER>

fastboot reboot-bootloader <ENTER>

After the phone reboots, click on RECOVERY, and that should take to the Recovery Menu where you will flash the Superuser.zip file from the sdcard to finish the root.

Once the phone is fully rooted, then you can follow this unrooting guide to reset your bootloader and phone.

Attachments

• Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
    625.2 KB · Views: 14
  • recovery.img
    4 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: CNexus

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Anyone have copies of these I can get? The links for those two are dead, and believe it or not I have an EVO I need to unroot.
Did you try the post they originally came from?

It seems someone deleted my attachments.
how-rude-stephanie-full-house.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HunterNIU

jrollercoasters

Oct 4, 2011
Hey you guys I'm planning to turn in my EVO for trade in at bestbuy and think I should unroot my phone before I do so.. I don't remember the root method I used.. because I had this phone over 2 years ago and just recently revived it. I do remember I used captin throwbacks method to root it. Is there any way to find out if I used htcdev? How dangerous is it if I didn't root with HTC dev. Thanks in advance I'd really apperciate any responses

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Hey you guys I'm planning to turn in my EVO for trade in at bestbuy and think I should unroot my phone before I do so.. I don't remember the root method I used.. because I had this phone over 2 years ago and just recently revived it. I do remember I used captin throwbacks method to root it. Is there any way to find out if I used htcdev? How dangerous is it if I didn't root with HTC dev. Thanks in advance I'd really apperciate any responses

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You need to post your Hboot & firmware version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, you need to start over, and finish rooting the phone.

WHY??

BECAUSE:

You need to downgrade your misc partition, to lock the bootloader again to it's original state, which coincidentally is the first step of the unrooting process. There is no other way to change the bootloader from "UNLOCKED" to "LOCKED OWW" without some form of root. Since the bootloader is unlocked already, it would be easier for you to finish the rooting process and then come back to this guide to unroot.

You need to put the recovery.img file in the same directory where you are running your adb commands, and put the superuser.zip file on the root of your sdcard. You need to reboot your phone into FASTBOOT USB (Boot into the bootloader and click on FASTBOOT) with the phone connected to your computer. From the same prompt where you ran your adb commands, you should type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img <ENTER>

fastboot reboot-bootloader <ENTER>

After the phone reboots, click on RECOVERY, and that should take to the Recovery Menu where you will flash the Superuser.zip file from the sdcard to finish the root.

Once the phone is fully rooted, then you can follow this unrooting guide to reset your bootloader and phone.
    Anyone have copies of these I can get? The links for those two are dead, and believe it or not I have an EVO I need to unroot.
    Did you try the post they originally came from?

It seems someone deleted my attachments.
    how-rude-stephanie-full-house.jpg