Tried Flashing Kitkat - Soft bricked?

Search This thread

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Ok, so I tried following the method described here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712039

I was on JB. Installed SS 3.71, downloaded the odexed version of UrDroid and odin files.

Procedure I followed:

• Booted into SS
  • Factory reset
  • Install urdroid - deodexed
  • Installation failed, zip wouldn't open
  • Booted back up, downloaded urdroid again - odexed version this time
  • pulled battery, booted to safestrap
  • factory reset
  • install new zip, worked this time
  • tried booting to download mode with vol down key, didn't work for some reason. just went to SS splash screen then tried to boot
  • pulled battery, booted SS again, used the reboot menu to get to download mode
  • followed steps to set up partitions in ODIN, seemed to work fine

Now when I try to boot it just shows me the SS splash screen, then when I let it boot it just goes to a black screen with a solid blue indicator LED.

Next, I tried to verify the MD5 on the UrDroid zip and it didn't match. I downloaded it again, copied it to my external SD, and it then checked out.
Wiped, installed, ran the odin stuff again. Same problem.

I'm guessing the next step is to restore it back to MJ5 using this method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715&page=118

Except several of the files linked there are no longer available....

I'm feeling a little panicked now, this is my only phone lol. Can anyone give me a hand?

andygev35

Jun 22, 2014
Boot into safestrap recovery, click reboot, click reboot to recovery (which will boot you into system recovery). Near the top of the system recovery screen it will show you what version of firmware you have. If it's MJ5, then just do a restore within safestrap recovery to the restore files you get from the link I posted earlier.

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Boot into safestrap recovery, click reboot, click reboot to recovery (which will boot you into system recovery). Near the top of the system recovery screen it will show you what version of firmware you have. If it's MJ5, then just do a restore within safestrap recovery to the restore files you get from the link I posted earlier.

First of all, thank you for your help.

In recovery, it just says "Android system recovery <3e>". Then goes down to the options you can select.

Before you posted, I tried installing a MJ5 custom rom (FireNote) in the stock slot and now it successfully boots. Which is certainly an improvement. I tried the same process again with UrDroid and had the same result as before - no boot. Now I'm back on FireNote again.

Since FireNote works fine, is it safe to conclude that the Odin process did not properly prepare my boot system for KitKat, and that is why the KK rom isn't working at all?

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Have I stumped XDA?? Haha.

I went over the guide again and can't see anything that I've done wrong, but I certainly could have. Are there glitches in Odin3 with Windows 7 that I should be looking out for or anything?

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Another thought: I was attempting to do this with SafeStrap 3.71 installed. I thought that 3.72 should be sideloaded after I had switched to KitKat. Was this incorrect? Should I have started by installing 3.72 in my JB rom?

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Well, I just let out a string of bad words.

When I ran Odin it defaulted to my 'return to stock' files even though I ran it from a completely different folder... and I didn't realize it.

I'm guessing using the right files will resolve this problem.

Wow, I'm an idiot.