[Q] Do you feel 2gb is not enough?

Search This thread

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
Hi well I currently own a Galaxy tab s 10.5, however i'm not 100% pleased with it. So I was wondering if i should get the tab pro 8.4 instead, but don't know if the 2gb of ram is something that hold the tab pro.

My main problem with the S is the inconsistent performance which I think is because the exynos. On my S4 the performance is very consistent.

Thanks.

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
Well I hw the 8.4 and wouldn't get anything else, its justnthe right size, I do have a 10 ipad2 and I usenthe 8.4 way more.

As far as memory for it I'm assuming you mean sdcard I would get as big as you can afford,

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
Well I hw the 8.4 and wouldn't get anything else, its justnthe right size, I do have a 10 ipad2 and I usenthe 8.4 way more.

As far as memory for it I'm assuming you mean sdcard I would get as big as you can afford,

No, I mean ram, not storage space. The size also for the tab s is something that bugs me after using it for a week i don't like the way a lot of apps looks, they are not optimized for an android tablet with this screen size.

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
No, I mean ram, not storage space. The size also for the tab s is something that bugs me after using it for a week i don't like the way a lot of apps looks, they are not optimized for an android tablet with this screen size.

I haven't had a prob with it, run all kinds of stuff on it, with it stock and more so rooted and with custom rom that is debloated.

cviniciusm

Sep 13, 2010
Brasília - DF
Hello,

More RAM is never enough. You are comparing technical detail with a subjective detail (logical vs sentimental). It is not a fair comparison. So you must choose what is more important to you.

Reactions: canezila

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
My main problem with the S is the inconsistent performance which I think is because the exynos. On my S4 the performance is very consistent.
Thanks.

The S4 has 2GB of memory. If you're happy with the S4's performance, than the Tab Pro's 2GB of memory should perform similarly. I think Samsung stuck 3GB of ram in the Exynos models in order to match the performance of the Snapdragon 800 / 2GB RAM models. I read the Exynos + 3GB combo barely outperforms the Snapdragon 800 + 2GB combo on benchmarks. The Exynos combo has to perform better to help justify its price.

.:GraveD:.

Apr 2, 2014
The S4 has 2GB of memory. If you're happy with the S4's performance, than the Tab Pro's 2GB of memory should perform similarly. I think Samsung stuck 3GB of ram in the Exynos models in order to match the performance of the Snapdragon 800 / 2GB RAM models. I read the Exynos + 3GB combo barely outperforms the Snapdragon 800 + 2GB combo on benchmarks. The Exynos combo has to perform better to help justify its price.

The 3Gb ram is only for the 12.2 version all others are 2Gb.

Never run into problems with my 2Gb (smt520), and I run ram intensive apps :p

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
Well I got the tab pro 8.4 yesterday and damn is a night to day difference this one is way smoother than the tab s. And it's exactly what I was looking for, it behaves exactly if not better than my S4.

However I have some questions, is normal that it gets hot like 38~40c while browsing, the backside is not very hot to the touch but yeah is warmer than what I'm a used to.

BTW: @cviniciusm thanks for those links.

Hamza Murad

Sep 30, 2013
Lahore
Well I got the tab pro 8.4 yesterday and damn is a night to day difference this one is way smoother than the tab s. And it's exactly what I was looking for, it behaves exactly if not better than my S4.

However I have some questions, is normal that it gets hot like 38~40c while browsing, the backside is not very hot to the touch but yeah is warmer than what I'm a used to.

BTW: @cviniciusm thanks for those links.
That's pretty normal for a s800.

However it only gets warm on the left of the device and it only started to effect performance after nearly an hour of heavy gaming. (thermal throtling)

cviniciusm

Sep 13, 2010
Brasília - DF
That's pretty normal for a s800.

However it only gets warm on the left of the device and it only started to effect performance after nearly an hour of heavy gaming. (thermal throtling)
Hello,

About big.LITTLE technology(http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/big_LITTLE_Technology_the_Futue_of_Mobile.pdf and http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/biglittleprocessing.php?intcid=TopNaviL16456# ) :
"High performance requires fast CPUs which in turn can be difficult to fit in a mobile power or thermal budget. At the same time battery technology has not evolved at the same rate as CPU technology. Therefore today we are in a situation where smartphones require higher performance, but the same power consumption.
The development and design of next generation mobile processors is necessarily guided by the following factors:
1. At the high performance end: high compute capability but within the thermal bounds
2. At the low performance end: very low power consumption
ARM big.LITTLE™ technology has been designed to address these requirements."

So, you will get high performance with Pro 8.4 (Snapdragon 800) at expenses of heat and high battery consumption.

Very interesting we are seeing/getting the alternative evolution of processors technology as battery technology has slow evolution, so Samsung is investing on this technology [emoji6]

Pro 10.1 and 12.2 and Tab S use big.LITTLE technology.

See too: ARM big.LITTLE Technology Explained: http://youtu.be/KClygZtp8mA

Last edited:

panda0

Sep 14, 2012
Hello,

About big.LITTLE technology(http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/big_LITTLE_Technology_the_Futue_of_Mobile.pdf and http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/biglittleprocessing.php?intcid=TopNaviL16456# ) :
"High performance requires fast CPUs which in turn can be difficult to fit in a mobile power or thermal budget. At the same time battery technology has not evolved at the same rate as CPU technology. Therefore today we are in a situation where smartphones require higher performance, but the same power consumption.
The development and design of next generation mobile processors is necessarily guided by the following factors:
1. At the high performance end: high compute capability but within the thermal bounds
2. At the low performance end: very low power consumption
ARM big.LITTLE™ technology has been designed to address these requirements."

So, you will get high performance with Pro 8.4 (Snapdragon 800) at expenses of heat and high battery consumption.

Very interesting we are seeing/getting the alternative evolution of processors technology as battery technology has slow evolution, so Samsung is investing on this technology [emoji6]

Pro 10.1 and 12.2 and Tab S use big.LITTLE technology.

See too: ARM big.LITTLE Technology Explained: http://youtu.be/KClygZtp8mA

big.LITTLE was bad implemented in exynos 5420...

panda0

Sep 14, 2012
Hello,

It was on 5410 due to CCI-400 bug.

But it seems to be solved on 5420 as AnandTech and others says.

Do you have any sources contrary, please?

I've read here in XDA Foruns that 5420 don't have HMP mode properly implemented.
It uses 4 A7 cores and 4 A15 cores. OK. But when the load of any of the A7 cores rises up, all the A7 cores are disabled and all the A15 cores are enabled. You probably knows that each A7 should call its A15 companion, but it seems that this doesn't works with the 5420. Also, there are some mentions to thermal throttling that concerns me a little.

cviniciusm

Sep 13, 2010
Brasília - DF
I've read here in XDA Foruns that 5420 don't have HMP mode properly implemented.
It uses 4 A7 cores and 4 A15 cores. OK. But when the load of any of the A7 cores rises up, all the A7 cores are disabled and all the A15 cores are enabled. You probably knows that each A7 should call its A15 companion, but it seems that this doesn't works with the 5420. Also, there are some mentions to thermal throttling that concerns me a little.
Hello,

I suppose you're right. But, I think a new kernel and driver can solve this whether not a hardware bad implementation.

More information :
1) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7811/samsungs-exynos-5422-the-ideal-biglittle-exynos-5-hexa-5260
"The 5422 supports HMP (Heterogeneous Multi-Processing), and Samsung LSI tells us that unlike the 5420 we may actually see this one used with HMP enabled."

2) http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/Hetero...ynos_5_Octa_with_ARM_bigLITTLE_Technology.pdf

rchtk

Mar 7, 2012
Nice
Still waiting for a proper HMP kernel from Samsung otherwise Exynos is not much worth it...

smt520 stock - gt i9300 archidroid

cviniciusm

Sep 13, 2010
Brasília - DF
Still waiting for a proper HMP kernel from Samsung otherwise Exynos is not much worth it...

smt520 stock - gt i9300 archidroid
Hello,

See http://www.anandtech.com/show/7313/samsung-announces-biglittle-mp-support-in-exynos-5420 :
"
For those not familiar, there are three big.LITTLE models, core switching, in which any of the A7 and A15 cores can be swapped, cluster switching, in which either all A7s or all A15s can be swapped, or HMP, where the kernel is aware of all cores and can schedule threads to any of the cores all at once. This final model is coming to Exynos 5420 by the end of Q4 2013 and will be available to partners shipping product based on its reference platform.
"

According CPU-Z the revision is r2p3, but I don't know what it means.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to verify/confirm whether my device has HMP (Global Task Scheduling) .

Edit: according http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big....multi-processing_.28global_task_scheduling.29
"Upstream big.LITTLE GTS patches were incorporated into the mainline Linux kernel starting with Linux 3.10. This model has been implemented in the Samsung Exynos 5 Octa (5420, 5422, 5430) and Hexa (5260)."

4b27ae0f7837455117fcd2255e0820b2.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

More RAM is never enough. You are comparing technical detail with a subjective detail (logical vs sentimental). It is not a fair comparison. So you must choose what is more important to you.