[Q/A] Ask Us Your Questions Here About Roms & Mods

Search This thread

gitanshu

Mar 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Is it necessary that I should wipe data before I flash a custom kernel?

There are wipe data/factory setting and wipe cache partition. Is it necessary that I've to do these two?

Here are the steps I am assuming:

1 I download the kernel zip file to my sd card
2 reboot to recovery and use install from zip and select the appropriate zip file.
3 once done I will reboot

Should I wipe data before the 2nd step?
And please explain in short what the two wipes do. I mean will I lose all the data of apps?

No u have to wipe cache partition and dalvik cache (this one is in 'advanced' in cwm).

ICS = I SEE ASS :p Lol
++##» GALAXY R «##++

Reactions: andy034

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai

There are wipe data/factory setting and wipe cache partition. Is it necessary that I've to do these two?

2 reboot to recovery and use install from zip and select the appropriate zip file.

And please explain in short what the two wipes do. I mean will I lose all the data of apps?

Wipe data is not necessary buddy. Download the kernel and flash it. Wipe cache/Dalvik cache and reboot.
Wipe data will clear all the apps and data in your phone. This will be needed only when u r flashing a rom from different version. e.g., if u wanna update from gb 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 or from gb to ics..in that case, u wanna do wipe data. Because the data in prev version may not be compatible with new version. so only we do wipe data.

for other cases like, flashing a rom of same baseband or version and for flashing kernels corresponding to the same version, u need to do only wipe cache and dalvik cache. I hope u know whats cache is all about ;)

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7

If you are planning to flash ardatdat's kernel just flash it ...

It will clear cache before installing so no need to wipe cache separately :D....

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

andy034

Feb 4, 2011
Hyderabad
voodoo sound settings

I am trying to understand how voodoo works. I don't know if it's a feature or an issue but whenever I increase the volume using the volume up button, media(digital) volume is increased. But when I reduce using volume down button, the analog volume is reducing.
If you have any suggestions for settings which work best , please let me know.
I am using with headphone amplifier set at -21db, smart amplifier on, bass boost set to standard

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
every one have different taste so tweak settings and try to find a suitable setting for u.

and about volume slider if u check the smart amplifier setting it will change the value when u press volume rocker. if u increase volume the master volume will be increased till its full and after that it will control voodoo amplifier. if u dont like this setting than un-check the smart amplifier setting and set amplifier value which is suitable for u.

(settings i use: smart amplifier (mostly master full and analog -8 ~ 10db, volume limit +5 db, bass boost at standard with 10db)

Last edited:

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai
I am trying to understand how voodoo works. I don't know if it's a feature or an issue but whenever I increase the volume using the volume up button, media(digital) volume is increased. But when I reduce using volume down button, the analog volume is reducing.
If you have any suggestions for settings which work best , please let me know.
I am using with headphone amplifier set at -21db, smart amplifier on, bass boost set to standard

Settings depends on your mood and taste buddy. And the volume control is not an issue. Thats how its designed. When u do an increase, the media volume gets increased to its full and from there on the analog volume starts creeping. If u wanna increase the analog volume alone, instead of using the volume key, pull down the notification bar and it will show the Voodoo analog control. Click on it and drag the bar to the db of ur choice. I enjoy with -23dB and same config mentioned by u :cool:

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Ehhh !! guys, i have got a new bluetooth headset, and when i listen to music with it, the voodoo sound app doent not come into status bar, but when i connect ear phones, it show voodoo sound in status bar....this app doent work with bluetooth device ??????

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Ehhh !! guys, i have got a new bluetooth headset, and when i listen to music with it, the voodoo sound app doent not come into status bar, but when i connect ear phones, it show voodoo sound in status bar....this app doent work with bluetooth device ??????

i think u r not clear with what voodoo app does.
voodoo app controls the DAC (digital to analog converter circuit) tweaks. DAC works only when ur output is analog based (like headphones) but when u use output method like bluetooth there is no need to convery digital sound to analog sound so that while u r using bluetooth voodoo app wont be activated and if u tweak settings in voodoo app it wont make any difference to output.

to tweak audio settings in bluetooth output u can use third party eq apps or eqs built in with audio players (if u r using CM, DSP manager can tweak bluetooth output settings)

Reactions: chandrus1983

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
i think u r not clear with what voodoo app does.
voodoo app controls the DAC (digital to analog converter circuit) tweaks. DAC works only when ur output is analog based (like headphones) but when u use output method like bluetooth there is no need to convery digital sound to analog sound so that while u r using bluetooth voodoo app wont be activated and if u tweak settings in voodoo app it wont make any difference to output.

to tweak audio settings in bluetooth output u can use third party eq apps or eqs built in with audio players (if u r using CM, DSP manager can tweak bluetooth output settings)

Yes, i am not that clear with voodoo app ;), but i got it now, you say its no need to convert the sound,
and you say me, to use Poweramp music players ??? or something like that ??? right ?

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Yes, i am not that clear with voodoo app ;), but i got it now, you say its no need to convert the sound,
and you say me, to use Poweramp music players ??? or something like that ??? right ?

YES!

poweramp and other similar apps have S/W EQ which tunes values with S/W decoding. (JFYI supercurio is developing new drivers which will have H/W EQ and other tweaks etc.) and if u change those settings it will effect on ur bluetooth output also. u can use other eq apps from market also, they provide good results.

Reactions: chandrus1983

prabhunakul

Oct 12, 2010
Bangalore
Best battery backup

Using NeoROM 3.0 and Ardatdat's kernel 1.8.3....
Awesome battery backup..
38 hrs, battery still at 75%!! I have used it only for calls( ~30-45 mins) and msgs (~20-30)... But I must say.. that's a pretty super cool battery backup I'm getting... :D:good::D

gitanshu

Mar 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I m trying to use adb logcat but it says /dev/log/main not found. I m on neorom 2.1, just trying to understand how to pull logcat. Or is it like stock based roms don't have logcat?

ICS = I SEE ASS :p Lol
++##» GALAXY R «##++

gitanshu

Mar 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I tried the same from ur guide, using both adb and on terminal in phone. Still same error. :confused:
Though dmesg works. :confused:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343640744971.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343640744971.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 27

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
i never faced such issue :confused: if dmesg works it means there is no problem in debug bridge.

uncheck and check debugging in settting and try restrating phone, connect phone with pc, open adb and try "adb logcat"

Top Liked Posts