[ROM][Unofficial/Experimental][Android 4.3] CyanogenMod 10.2 for SGS4A (int'l)

Search This thread

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
-------------------------Warning!-------------------------------------

This ROM is for SGS4A (int'l) ONLY. Does not work on SGS4 from AT&T as it has a locked bootloader.
Please refer to this thread for a bounty on the bootloader.

-------------------------Please note---------------------------------

This is an experimental build of CyanogenMod 10.2 running Android 4.3.
Meaning there's a couple of known issues with the camera. It is my hope these will be sorted out over time.
If anyone has any interest in helping out, please PM me. Or simply fork the code if you want.

-------------------------Instructions---------------------------------

1. Install CWM recovery from here.
  2. Download most recent ROM from here.
  3. Download most recent Google Applications for Android 4.3 from here.
  4. Boot into recovery by holding the Volume Up button as the phone is booting.
  5. Back up your current ROM inside CWM recovery.
  6. Flash CyanogenMod ROM to your device using CWM recovery.
  7. Flash Google Applications to your device using CWM recovery.
  8. Do a wipe data/factory reset from within CWM recovery.
  9. Reboot system

---------------------------Known issues-----------------------------

1. Several camera functions such as HDR don't work.

---------------------------Build from source------------------------

Please consult this guide for setting up CyanogenMod for compile.
Please use
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.2
when you initialize the CyanogenMod repository so you get the source for CM-10.2.
Download roomservice.xml (see below) and put in ~/android/system/.repo/local_manifests/.
Run 'repo sync' and compile with 'brunch jactiveltexx'. You can get the proprietary files from the ROM.

As always, I take no responsibility in case your phone blows up.

And thanks to the CM team for all their hard work.

Attachments

• roomservice.xml.zip
    800 bytes · Views: 584
Last edited:

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
Downloads

---------------------------CM-10.2 ROM (Android 4.3) -------------------

---------------------------cm-10.2-20130917-----------------------------------
CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917
CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917 (mirror - thanks to mrvovven)
---------------------------cm-10.2-20130910-----------------------------------
CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910
CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910 (mirror - thanks to mrvovven)

---------------------------CM-10.1 ROM (Android 4.2.2) ----------------

CyanogenMod 10.1 - 20130810

----------------------------Google apps -------------------------------

Download the official Google apps. Need to download this in order to have apps like Google Play.

For CM-10.1 choose Android 4.2 apps.

For CM-10.2 choose Android 4.3 apps.

http://goo.im/gapps

------------------------------------- KERNELS ---------------------------------

- SGS4A android 4.2.2 kernel for CM10.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo1hr2n6evp3zu9/sgs4a-cm10-1kernel.zip

Last edited:

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
----------------------- Changelog--------------------
-------CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917----------
- Fixed video preview resolution
- Disabled zsl for slightly more stable camera app.

-------CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910----------
- Updated kernel to most recent version of cm-10.2 for SGS4.
- Replaced all sensor drivers with SGS4A kernel sources.
- Replaced several camera blobs in /system/lib/* with SGS4A versions enabling basic camera functionality.

-------CyanogenMod 10.1 - 20130810----------
Initial build.

Last edited:

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
Fixed wifi and a number of small issues. Should be a lot more stable. Seems the main remaining issue is, not surprisingly, the camera. If anyone knows how the entire camera driver setup is supposed to work in android, I'd love some help :)

Last edited:

aurelm

Sep 14, 2008
Bucharest
www.aurelm.com
Fixed wifi and a number of small issues. Should be a lot more stable. Seems the main remaining issue is, not surprisingly, the camera. If anyone knows how the entire camera driver setup is supposed to work in android, I'd love some help :)

Call it just a hunch. But have you tried the camera drivers from the s3 ? I would say that it's basically the same camera and has been added in s4 active because after 1 year it became very cheap to continue manufacturing and this way compensate for the more expensive case and water proofing.

Reactions: diverdude

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
Call it just a hunch. But have you tried the camera drivers from the s3 ? I would say that it's basically the same camera and has been added in s4 active because after 1 year it became very cheap to continue manufacturing and this way compensate for the more expensive case and water proofing.

Honestly, not exactly sure how the setup is. I assume it's mostly in some proprietary libs separate from the kernel, but it's hard to find good information on it.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using xda premium

juppi

Sep 13, 2007
I've a MicroSD in my SGS4A and i can't choose the external_sd in the CM File Explorer.
Is there any solution?
For example creating symlink or mounting in /sdcard
I've never tried anything of that!

aquarat

Nov 18, 2007
It's working really well :D Wifi works yay, well done! Hopefully you can get the camera working too.

snadge

Dec 10, 2009
Building from source

Hi,

I'm happy to see such great progress already, and am only diving in to this because I'd like to be able to lend a hand in any way I can.

Is it too soon to be asking questions about how to build for 10.2? I'm having a go at it right now, and if I use Lejay's kernel and device configuration (jactivelte), the kernel fails to compile, something about BUG_ON rcu error, I can come back to that if its relevant. So I tried Epsylon3's suggestion to use tpruvot's kernel and device config. This builds a rom, but black screen, can't see anything or get into adb. If I flash Lejay's kernel over the top of my 10.2 build, it boots. Phone (dialer) keeps force closing in a loop, which is annoying, but asides from that it seems to boot.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to get some 10.2 love. ;)

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
Hi,

I'm happy to see such great progress already, and am only diving in to this because I'd like to be able to lend a hand in any way I can.

Is it too soon to be asking questions about how to build for 10.2? I'm having a go at it right now, and if I use Lejay's kernel and device configuration (jactivelte), the kernel fails to compile, something about BUG_ON rcu error, I can come back to that if its relevant. So I tried Epsylon3's suggestion to use tpruvot's kernel and device config. This builds a rom, but black screen, can't see anything or get into adb. If I flash Lejay's kernel over the top of my 10.2 build, it boots. Phone (dialer) keeps force closing in a loop, which is annoying, but asides from that it seems to boot.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to get some 10.2 love. ;)

Comparing the 9295 and 9505 kernels, there's quite a lot of differences. Cyanogenmod tried to merge the two, but apparently gave up. The question is really if we should start with the 9505 and add the camera or start with the 9295 and make it compatible for CM. The stuff i uploaded here is a port of the 9505 kernel, but now I'm looking into starting out with the 9295 kernel instead.

The problem with 10.2 is of course there's no released 9295 kernel for android 4.3. I'm guessing there are not that many differences, so it might not be too hard.

I think I'm getting the same compile error you were with 10.2. Not sure what it means.

snadge

Dec 10, 2009
Comparing the 9295 and 9505 kernels, there's quite a lot of differences. Cyanogenmod tried to merge the two, but apparently gave up. The question is really if we should start with the 9505 and add the camera or start with the 9295 and make it compatible for CM. The stuff i uploaded here is a port of the 9505 kernel, but now I'm looking into starting out with the 9295 kernel instead.

The problem with 10.2 is of course there's no released 9295 kernel for android 4.3. I'm guessing there are not that many differences, so it might not be too hard.

I think I'm getting the same compile error you were with 10.2. Not sure what it means.

I had a chat with noobnl about it, and he pointed out a patch on gerrit: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/44552/

I spent hours manually merging it with cm jf kernel, to finally end up with a kernel that gives me. You guessed it, a black screen. After investing about a days worth of effort into it, I ended up with a buggy unstable CM10.2 build, that will boot if I flash LeJay's kernel zip, but its unuseable. It's going to take some serious effort to come up with a functioning CM10.2 kernel for the International S4 Active. In the meantime, a CM10.1 build with a non functioning camera, is still way better than the stock TouchWiz rom, so I'm happy. :laugh:

Reactions: loups

snadge

Dec 10, 2009
Ok, I got bored and had another play around with 10.2 and the CM jf kernel. With the black screen problem, if you power the device down, then boot into recovery (power + vol up), you can adb pull /proc/last_kmsg and it tells an interesting story. It looks like the init scripts are totally borked. init.qcom.rc and init.carrier.rc are completely missing. I tried simply copying them into the root, but it looks like its a bit more complicated than that. The problem is clear that it is unable to mount /system for whatever reason, because it can't find /system/bin/sysinit, then pretty much gives up after that.

This looks like a pretty simple problem for a relatively experienced device maintainer, or rom kernel dev to be able to fix. It would be nice if we could get some more developer attention for this device. :D

LeJay

Apr 5, 2011
Ok, I got bored and had another play around with 10.2 and the CM jf kernel. With the black screen problem, if you power the device down, then boot into recovery (power + vol up), you can adb pull /proc/last_kmsg and it tells an interesting story. It looks like the init scripts are totally borked. init.qcom.rc and init.carrier.rc are completely missing. I tried simply copying them into the root, but it looks like its a bit more complicated than that. The problem is clear that it is unable to mount /system for whatever reason, because it can't find /system/bin/sysinit, then pretty much gives up after that.

This looks like a pretty simple problem for a relatively experienced device maintainer, or rom kernel dev to be able to fix. It would be nice if we could get some more developer attention for this device. :D

You probably forgot to add jactivelte to the list at the bottom of device/jf-common/Android.mk. I didn't want to fork their repo just to add one word on a line, so you have to do this manually. It's probably also a good idea to extract rom files from a cm.10.2 rom for something like jfltexx.

Reactions: snadge

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -------------------------Warning!-------------------------------------

This ROM is for SGS4A (int'l) ONLY. Does not work on SGS4 from AT&T as it has a locked bootloader.
    Please refer to this thread for a bounty on the bootloader.

-------------------------Please note---------------------------------

This is an experimental build of CyanogenMod 10.2 running Android 4.3.
    Meaning there's a couple of known issues with the camera. It is my hope these will be sorted out over time.
    If anyone has any interest in helping out, please PM me. Or simply fork the code if you want.

-------------------------Instructions---------------------------------

1. Install CWM recovery from here.
    2. Download most recent ROM from here.
    3. Download most recent Google Applications for Android 4.3 from here.
    4. Boot into recovery by holding the Volume Up button as the phone is booting.
    5. Back up your current ROM inside CWM recovery.
    6. Flash CyanogenMod ROM to your device using CWM recovery.
    7. Flash Google Applications to your device using CWM recovery.
    8. Do a wipe data/factory reset from within CWM recovery.
    9. Reboot system

---------------------------Known issues-----------------------------

1. Several camera functions such as HDR don't work.

---------------------------Build from source------------------------

Please consult this guide for setting up CyanogenMod for compile.
    Please use
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.2
    when you initialize the CyanogenMod repository so you get the source for CM-10.2.
    Download roomservice.xml (see below) and put in ~/android/system/.repo/local_manifests/.
    Run 'repo sync' and compile with 'brunch jactiveltexx'. You can get the proprietary files from the ROM.

As always, I take no responsibility in case your phone blows up.

And thanks to the CM team for all their hard work.
    Downloads

---------------------------CM-10.2 ROM (Android 4.3) -------------------

---------------------------cm-10.2-20130917-----------------------------------
    CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917
    CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917 (mirror - thanks to mrvovven)
    ---------------------------cm-10.2-20130910-----------------------------------
    CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910
    CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910 (mirror - thanks to mrvovven)

---------------------------CM-10.1 ROM (Android 4.2.2) ----------------

CyanogenMod 10.1 - 20130810

----------------------------Google apps -------------------------------

Download the official Google apps. Need to download this in order to have apps like Google Play.

For CM-10.1 choose Android 4.2 apps.

For CM-10.2 choose Android 4.3 apps.

http://goo.im/gapps

------------------------------------- KERNELS ---------------------------------

- SGS4A android 4.2.2 kernel for CM10.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo1hr2n6evp3zu9/sgs4a-cm10-1kernel.zip
    ----------------------- Changelog--------------------
    -------CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130917----------
    - Fixed video preview resolution
    - Disabled zsl for slightly more stable camera app.

-------CyanogenMod 10.2 - 20130910----------
    - Updated kernel to most recent version of cm-10.2 for SGS4.
    - Replaced all sensor drivers with SGS4A kernel sources.
    - Replaced several camera blobs in /system/lib/* with SGS4A versions enabling basic camera functionality.

-------CyanogenMod 10.1 - 20130810----------
    Initial build.
    hello

anyone tried this out ?

feedbacks ?

thanks in advance :D

This is not something you should install unless you want to be compiling and debugging yourself. It's far from usable as day to day rom. I hope I'm clear on that.
    LeJay - Does in call audio work for you in your 10.2 build? I had a very brief poke around with it before I flashed back to 10.1. There are a few minor differences in audio_policy.conf, but I didn't have a chance to try to look into it further. I remember seeing a kernel or logcat message which said something like alsa cannot open capture device. Given that most of the dev focus is on 10.2 at the moment, it seems logical to me try to get the camera working with that. Does CAF have any updated kernel or camera stuff that could be of any use?

I don't know.. I'm back to 10.1 and focusing on the camera. I prefer having one problem solved before I find more :).

EDIT: speaking of which, I just got it working. Well, I can take pictures anyway. Video and other stuff to come. Feel like an idiot for taking this long.