[Q] WiFi Network Blocking Mobile Devices

Search This thread

lkpfaff

Dec 26, 2014
Hi, I have a question about the unique identifiers that are transmitted to a network by an android device. So, basically my schools wifi network blocks all mobile devices (android, iphones) but it works on laptops. Authentication is done through 802.1x and everyone is assigned their own username and password. When they started blocking phones I thought that they detected them through MAC addresses or hostnames but I was wrong. Does anyone know how they can differentiate between laptops and mobile devices?

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
There are many ways and none of them can be blocked if they are smart enough. For example all it has to do is quarry device connection type and it would reg as a mobile device.

lkpfaff

Dec 26, 2014
There are many ways and none of them can be blocked if they are smart enough. For example all it has to do is quarry device connection type and it would reg as a mobile device.

Interesting, I have looked into device fingerprinting which can detect the OS type. I wonder if it can be spoofed by editing build.prop.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Interesting, I have looked into device fingerprinting which can detect the OS type. I wonder if it can be spoofed by editing build.prop.
It might detect os type but I think it would be more complicated then that. Heck all they have to do is quarry any IMEI. If it comes back with one then it is blocked.

Be careful editing the build prop it could cause huge issues as you would have to remove alot of info the device needs.

lkpfaff

Dec 26, 2014
It might detect os type but I think it would be more complicated then that. Heck all they have to do is quarry any IMEI. If it comes back with one then it is blocked.

Be careful editing the build prop it could cause huge issues as you would have to remove alot of info the device needs.

I believe it does detect the OS type as that is what I have found other systems do. I didn't realize the router could detect things such as the IMEI.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
The network itself could be set to detect many things. Like I have all mobile devices blocked on my network except for a few approved devices and it's all done by Mac and imei

lkpfaff

Dec 26, 2014
The network itself could be set to detect many things. Like I have all mobile devices blocked on my network except for a few approved devices and it's all done by Mac and imei

I figured out how they're doing it. Their using DHCP fingerprinting. Based on this some of the material I've read, reordering the requests in the dhcprequest packet would fool the system. Is iit possible to do that on android?