[DISCUSSION] Xperia S battery life

Search This thread

Lasse3040

Feb 20, 2011
Had my beautiful white S for 24 hours now. Overall very positive, except battery life so far. Drained 23 % overnight from a 100% charge. In only 7 hours :( I had NO activity. BT and WiFi on.

I hope this will improve very soon. That is a no go. Would like to hear from you about your experience regarding your new Xperia S.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yosaurabh9

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
For me, I removed junk I don't use, like foursquare. That alone made a huge difference. I also turn off data at night, and only went down about 4% while I slept.

Another option is to install something like JuiceDefender, which automatically shuts down data except switching it on every hour or so to allow for some syncs, then shuts it down again.

Reactions: mehdicvl

jcsmart

Mar 30, 2007
Hong Kong
I use the XS in Hong Kong. If I use the phone online to play with internet browser, battery will be drained from 100% to 69% in approx. 1 hour. Is it too fast? Or it just a normal way when compare with SII or GN?

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
I use the XS in Hong Kong. If I use the phone online to play with internet browser, battery will be drained from 100% to 69% in approx. 1 hour. Is it too fast? Or it just a normal way when compare with SII or GN?

The display sucks battery life like a vampire in a young virgin woman buffet. Try reducing the brightness.

Hopefully firmware updates will help there.

Reactions: Rubbs and AnMotass

Lasse3040

Feb 20, 2011
The display sucks battery life like a vampire in a young virgin woman buffet. Try reducing the brightness.

Hopefully firmware updates will help there.

Ohh yes. U are soo right. Had my phone now for 4 days. The display uses an average of 70% of the overall battery consumption. It is not WiFi, calls, BT or any other functions. It is the display that drains. Will give it the weekend to see if it improves. If not I will return it on Monday :-( And my brightness is down on less than 25% so not much to do there.

Last edited:

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
If I use the phone online to play with internet browser, battery will be drained from 100% to 69% in approx. 1 hour. Is it too fast?

I get about the same on my Arc. I dont know if it's too fast or not, but if your pretty much constant on the net for an hour say then 69% isn't all that bad.

Lasse3040

Feb 20, 2011
I get about the same on my Arc. I dont know if it's too fast or not, but if your pretty much constant on the net for an hour say then 69% isn't all that bad.

Had an Arc for around one year. On a daily average the screen took about 55% and I had no problems to get a full day out of it. (approx 16 to 18 hours) and still 10-15% juice left. Now I get max 10-12 hours out of my S and NO juice left. Really disappointing. Even my old X10 did better than my new S.

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Had an Arc for around one year. On a daily average the screen took about 55% and I had no problems to get a full day out of it. (approx 16 to 18 hours) and still 10-15% juice left. Now I get max 10-12 hours out of my S and NO juice left. Really disappointing. Even my old X10 did better than my new S.

Surely the HD display amongst other things, ie how you have your phone set up, may go someway to why your experiencing poor battery life compared to your Arc.

gbil

May 19, 2008
Try to disable Bravia engine and see if you notice any difference especially during the night.

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
My phone has the same apps as my Arc, actually minus few of them.
No autosync etc.

Basically it drains the battery quick, it's unacceptable. It behaves exactly like one of the older Arc firmwares, which was also draining battery like crazy.
Than they fixed it and it's still brilliant. My Arc on Flight Mode beeing just a backup in case of any problems, runs 3rd day on one charge, still 75% left.

I think S is just not optimized and it makes me mad.

Last edited:

dragon546

Sep 28, 2007
Essex
Just got My XS yesterday I did one fully charge this morning . Turned off data at home, will not know until battery is fully charged by a few cycles. I love the phone irrespective of the flaws. I think may be see in a week or 2 where my battery settles.

Lasse3040

Feb 20, 2011
Again. 25% battery drain in only 6 hours over night. No physical activity at all. This baby goes back on Monday :-(

keunhuvac

Nov 2, 2010
3g turn on with weather widget in background only, 4% drain overnight, but with heavy usage (game, internet suffering...) it lasts about 7 hours, that's good.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

FiDra

Jul 30, 2010
Sony Xperia 1
Sony Xperia 5 II
Again. 25% battery drain in only 6 hours over night. No physical activity at all. This baby goes back on Monday :-(

You can use Profile Scheduler (free from market) and set a schedule.

I've set the schedule in which the airplane mode will be activated at 12.00 am and turned back to normal at 6.00 am.

By this way, my phone battery drains overnight just only 2-4%.

Let's try man :)

awf

May 9, 2008
You can use Profile Scheduler (free from market) and set a schedule.

I've set the schedule in which the airplane mode will be activated at 12.00 am and turned back to normal at 6.00 am.

By this way, my phone battery drains overnight just only 2-4%.

Let's try man :)

Or use the supplied power widget B-)

Sent from my Sony Xperia S (LT26i)

GalaxyS2R

Nov 9, 2011
london, England
I actually agree with that tbh, and another thing is battery life all depends on how the individual uses their phone.

I had the sgs2 and alot of people said oh the battery life is rubbish but yet they had:
screen brightness on 100%
3g, wi-fi, bluetooth always on
live wallpapers running.
Plus they were using the internet for like 2hours
sending numerous emails
playing games
listening to music

I mean come on its a phone at the end of the day, its not a super computer or something or some nuclear powered device.

I nearly 2 days out of my sgs2 under moderate - quite heavy usage
because I turned my screen brightness all the way down
didnt leave 3g, wi-fi, bluetooth on all the time only when i needed to use those features, i never used live wallpapers and i dont send numerous emails.

when i had the play again people said the battery life was rubbish but again i got about 1day 10hours or a bit more sometimes based on the above mentioned info.

so as long as my SXS last 1day even I dont mind that because at the end of the day it has a HD screen so its going to use alot of power.

Reactions: eddyedwards007

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
Okay so on my third day with the phone...

my battery is fine, actually...more than fine. I turn off my wi-fi/bluetooth/gps when not needed, and I don't run my battery heavy apps for a long time.

I also installed a task killer...I know it's in theory not needed, but I will see how it goes.

woke up around 7 today, used my wifi, used a battery intensive app (dream zoo :D, it's an addiction) for like 15min or so. Went for a walk, used the camera...a LOT, made a lot of panorama pictures. It's now almost 11:15 and i'm only down less than 15% I believe.

It's got much better battery usage than my X10 to be honest...but this is a high-end full HD phone, I wasn't expecting my battery to last so well D:

I will update again at the end of the day about how low it got, but I am pleased with it.

Reactions: eddyedwards007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just did some tests on browsing time 15% brightness vs. 50% brightness and got some interesting results.

I did test in Dolphin with "tab reload" add-on set on 1minute. The site I was reloading was technobuffalo which is really heavy to load. But before testing brightness I was curious what is difference in battery usage desktop vs. mobile website on 50% brightness. And the difference was really obvious.

Desktop site was so power consuming, that the phone got a bit hot. And in 30 minutes it ate 15% of battery. So, 3 hours of browsing and only 10% to spare.

But luckily mobile sites are a lot friendlier. In 30 minutes 12% on 50% brightness, so 4 hours of browsing and 4% to spare. But the most interesting part was when I changed the brightness to 15% and I got the exact same results. 30 minutes 12%...

And then I wanted to isolate web browsing so I tried the same tests in airplane mode in case of mobile network eating battery.
    Without network connection half an hour of browsing mobile sites ate 10% of battery with 50% brightness. So, exactly 5 hours of browsing to 0%. But what happens with 15% brightness? Nothing much, 30 minutes 9%. That means 5 hours and 10% to spare, or 5 hours and 30 minutes and 1% left.

Is it really worth to hurt your eyes on 15%???
    Do you know what? It irritates me reading you people moaning about battery life, it's a high definition phone with an awesome screen, if you want your battery to last a few days, go get a cheap phone that does nothing but txt and calls:mad:

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium
    As I said I did battery tests with the new Jelly Bean in web browsing and video playback and I must say that difference is really really obvious.

I did the same tests as before with ICS and compared them.

All my tests in browsing were done in dolphin browser with auto reload plugin put on 1 min reload. Website I tested was TechnoBuffalo because it is quite a heavy load. Brightness was at 50%.

To quicky freshen up, my previous results with ICS are found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37103064 and I will include them for easier comparison.

In ICS browsing desktop pages was really battery consuming so the first test I did was this.
    Half an hour of reloading desktop version of TechnoBuffalo every minute did consume 15% in ICS. So in 3 hours 90% would be gone, not a very good result.

But in Jelly Bean the same test ate only 10% of battery. Pretty good improvment right? 1 hour 20% so 5 hours till the phone dies. Almost 2 hours of improvement which is really great.

screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png

And next is mobile version. My previous result on ICS was 12% in 30 minutes so in 4 hours you would be left with 4%. Not that good but at least better than desktop sites.

Result in Jelly Bean was so surprising that I had to redo the test once more, because I couldn't believe my eyes. In 30 minutes only 7% of battery was gone so 1 hour 14% and if we calculate, we get 7 hours with 2% to spare. WOW, right? This is whole 3 hours more which is pretty huge improvment.

screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png

And I got curious what would really heavy load do to battery usage. I did another test with the same mobile version but with 15 second reload which is pretty hard because it loads almost all the time. It loads the page and there it goes again.
    The results aro also pretty good. 10% in 30 minutes so basically the same as desktop site - 5 hours of browsing but I don't know who would load new page every few seconds in real life.

screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png
    screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png

Last test was video playback. I tried 720p video in mp4 and mkv to see if there is any difference. And I also tried if there is any difference between Sony's movie player and BS player. But in all tests I got the same result - 9% in half an hour. So 5 hours with 10% to spare. In ICS I got same 5 hours but with 0% to spare so some improvment is there but not that amazing as web browsing.

screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png

So Jelly Bean is a massive improvment in terms of battery usage comparing to ICS and I am really happy with it.
    You guys should've bought the Xperia SP, S is sooo outdated and weak

You're absolutely right, I should've hopped on my time machine, gone to the future, and gotten that phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I m gone... stay with your beautyfull piece of ... and stay at least two years behind good technology... lol. Bye bye looser.
    |
    |

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Virgin detected.
    Fap less, read more.

Desde el celular.