finally 3g dongles work on nexus 7 with simple widget

Search This thread

kapitanbasa

Jun 1, 2011
my 3g dongle heats up a lot while connected to my nexus 7. and battery drains way faster too. i guess that's quite normal. still an amazing widget!

sahakar

Mar 12, 2011
Anybody with 4.2 and ppp widget working fine?

Mine didn't and was one of the reasons to go back to 4.1.2.

Cheers

mobutu16

Apr 19, 2009
Working fine with mine even if there's a memory card insterted. ZTE HSPA+ MF668A.
Try searching for "AT commands to disable automount of cdrom/removable media" specific to your dongle.
After that, upon inserting the dongle to your N7, it will still ask you if you wanted PPP Widget or stickmount to use. Choose "just once" and not "always". So you can use the dongle as a modem, or a removable drive anytime.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for the advice!!,

Anybody has complete AT commands for E3131?. Not found on web.:eek:

corkiejp

Sep 27, 2012
Cork
www.boards.ie
PPP widget got an update and I can confirm that the sierra 888 now works under 4.2.1!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

cub0ne

Aug 23, 2012
C:\Windows\System32
stuck on Prepare Device. Im running on 4.2.1(unrooted) using a ZTE MF627. The widget can identify the 3g modem but nothing happens. Connect button is grayed out thou I can configure the settings(APN, dial up number) if I remove the 3g modem. Any fix on this issue?

corkiejp

Sep 27, 2012
Cork
www.boards.ie
stuck on Prepare Device. Im running on 4.2.1(unrooted) using a ZTE MF627. The widget can identify the 3g modem but nothing happens. Connect button is grayed out thou I can configure the settings(APN, dial up number) if I remove the 3g modem. Any fix on this issue?

The PPP widget needs root access

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

shamilsh

Jan 4, 2006
anybody got succeed with LTE dongle?
I have LG LTE dongle. But I think ppp widget supports only ppp connection.
And as you know, LTE is IP connection but ppp.
Any chance to use LTE for Nexus 7?

davey4

Dec 3, 2012
I managed to get my huawei E1752 modem working on my nexus 7 running android 4.2.1:)

The process was not without its hickups. First problem with PPP widget not connecting although my N7 was rooted. Later discovered that after the 4.2.1 OTA update the N7 had to be re-rooted. Thereafter the 3G internet connection worked perfectly.

2nd issue, after getting the the 3G working (or after 4.2.1 update, I,m not sure) the wireless internet connection would not work. After googling a bit, changed from DHCP server assigned IP address to a static IP address which sorted the problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
Guys can anyone please recommend, a cheap otg cable and cheap 3g dangle that I can use, if possible with links many thanks.

cub0ne

Aug 23, 2012
C:\Windows\System32
depends on you country/location. im in the philippines. otg cable here cost around $4-8 depending on the quality. 3g dongles here cost around $30-55 i belive depending on the plan that you have, thou there are some prepaid 3g dongles that cost around $20-50 depending on the brand and capability.

Reactions: marvi0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i used this app to make my Huawei 3g dongles work on my nexus 7 and it is very simple just install the app and enter your apn of your operator connect your dongles via otg cable and it will work the app available on google play store called ppp widget here is the link it is for rooted device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.draisberghof.pppwidget
    i want 3g dongle support without rooting as i fear it nullifies the warranty

If you ever need to use the warranty you can unroot, or if you are really worried you can even do a complete factory restore, and nobody can ever tell that you were rooted. The only time Google/Asus is going to care is if you use the warranty and say something is wrong with their hardware but it turns out it was actually something wrong in your software (which is why it's a usually good idea to do a factory restore before sending it in, rooted or not, because doing so eliminates that variable).
    PPP widget DOESN'T work with e3131 dongles. Can anyone confirm whether disabling the sd slot would solve the problem? (on the dongle, that is, not the tab)
    Working fine with mine even if there's a memory card insterted. ZTE HSPA+ MF668A.
    Try searching for "AT commands to disable automount of cdrom/removable media" specific to your dongle.
    After that, upon inserting the dongle to your N7, it will still ask you if you wanted PPP Widget or stickmount to use. Choose "just once" and not "always". So you can use the dongle as a modem, or a removable drive anytime.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    even after establishing connection using the widget. i can't acess the internet.the browser says that wifi is offline and mobile data is turned off. i am using nexus 7 (rooted) and HUAWEI e173 plz help

If you're on Android 4.3 or lower PPP Widget 1.3.3 should work fine.

If you're on 4.4 Kitkat, the problem is with dns handling. Until we get a widget update, you can get limited connectivity one of two ways:
    - the wifi workaround (which is basically using a wifi network to change your tablet's dns address to a public dns server like google's 8.8.8.8)
    - or you can try using some type of mod.

Both are explained further here: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1808

I'm using the CrossBreeder mod here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150
    I being a newbie can't get into the very much detailed technical terms mentioned by you
    Can you pls elaborate
    Thank you :)

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

/QUOTE]
    yes,it's very simple man.RMA is the assistence centre in case of problems.with nexus image i refer to THIS.they are google's images for users who want to re-stock the tab to its natural conditions,or if you screwed the tab and want to do a clean install\format of all.it's praticaally the google standard firmwares for related version of nexus devices.with that you can always restore it with factory's state.there's more to read,do a simple search here or google,we are OT with that.

EDIT
    if yu have a not-working key web,i suggest trying THIS,how explained from D and so on with the app putty for windows.pratically it deactivate the composite devices of the 3g dongle