[FIX] Mac address fix (Until new builds are done)

Search This thread

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
How to fix your MAC address

Info
Currently, all of the mac addresses are something starting with f0.
All the Kindle Fire 2s using CM10.1 now have the same exact MAC address. This can cause some issues and overall, it's better to fix it, even if you don't have 2 Kindle's on the same network.

Hashcode is going to include a fix in the next update, but until then, follow this guide!

Instructions
**You can do this from the desktop script, or by downloading the file to your device (I find it best to open the thread on the Kindle and download it directly that way) and using the terminal emulator to run the follow code**

Kindle

1. Download this
  2. In the Terminal Emulator, type:
  3. Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    [*]rm /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin
    [*]rm /system/bin/fix-mac.sh
  4. Copy that file to /system/bin now either using cp /sdcard/Download/fix-mac.sh /system/bin/fix-mac.sh (or similar terminal command) or using your favorite file explorer (I recommend root explorer)
  5. Code:
    chmod 755 /system/bin/fix-mac.sh
    [*]reboot

Desktop

1. Download and run this, seriously, that's it.

This is simply my guide, main credit for the fix goes to Hashcode. I told him about the MAC addresses needing to be fixed, and I helped with getting it fixed, but he did most of what needed to be done.

~Re-Formatted by iytrix

Last edited:

texraid

Sep 11, 2010
That worked great! Now both my kids KF2s have their own unique MAC addresses and are running perfectly without any conflicts! Awesome.

Thanks a lot fmkilo and Hashcode!

Reactions: fmkilo

Rugged96

May 26, 2010
Nashville

Info
All the Kindle Fire 2s using CM10.1 now have the same exact MAC address. This can cause some issues and overall, it's better to fix it, even if you don't have 2 Kindle's on the same network.

Hashcode is going to include a fix in the next update, but until then, follow this guide!

Instructions
**You can do this from the desktop script, or by downloading the file to your device (I find it best to open the thread on the Kindle and download it directly that way) and using the terminal emulator to run the follow code**

Kindle

1. Download this
  3. Code:
  4. Copy that file to /system/bin now either using cp /sdcard/Download/fix-mac.sh /system/bin/fix-mac.sh (or similar terminal command) or using your favorite file explorer (I recommend root explorer)
  5. Code:
    [*]reboot

Desktop

This is simply my guide, main credit for the fix goes to Hashcode. I told him about the MAC addresses needing to be fixed, and I helped with getting it fixed, but he did most of what needed to be done.

~Re-Formatted by iytrix

do you have the desktop script? link is dead....also would you think this is safe to run on the Kindle Fire 2 (non HD) ?

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
The only way 2 Kfires would have the same MAC address these days is if the boot0 block was copied from 1 over the other. (The boot0 block contains the device specific MAC, serial # etc).

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mindmajick

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
The only way 2 Kfires would have the same MAC address these days is if the boot0 block was copied from 1 over the other. (The boot0 block contains the device specific MAC, serial # etc).

Dude. Really wish i could "shadow" you for a week. I've never been able to make the leap from "modder" to dev. I've found so many operate by rote without understanding what is being done.

Fortunately OR unfortunately for me (not sure which sometimes lol) I cant seem to convince myself to DO anything without some understanding of what it is I'm doing.

This was my long was of saying "thanks for the knowledge your smallest answers provide"

--
Sent from my mind to your screen.

Reactions: Hashcode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Info

Instructions

Kindle

1. Download this
    3. Code:
    5. Code:
      [*]reboot

Desktop

~Re-Formatted by iytrix
    That worked great! Now both my kids KF2s have their own unique MAC addresses and are running perfectly without any conflicts! Awesome.

Thanks a lot fmkilo and Hashcode!

Dude. Really wish i could "shadow" you for a week. I've never been able to make the leap from "modder" to dev. I've found so many operate by rote without understanding what is being done.

Fortunately OR unfortunately for me (not sure which sometimes lol) I cant seem to convince myself to DO anything without some understanding of what it is I'm doing.

This was my long was of saying "thanks for the knowledge your smallest answers provide"

--
    Sent from my mind to your screen.