[APP][ROOT/Keyboard] Keyboard Manager - Dual keyboard: Portrait/landscape switch

Search This thread

psyman42

Aug 23, 2012
NYC
KM is force closing. After install and setting the keyboard preferences it'll force close. Trying to go back into the app would force close right away. Uninstall then install again would force close once I open the app.

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

It won't let me get to that first screen. Once I click on the app it force closes.

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

ne0fhyk

Aug 6, 2010
Virginia

GusGold

May 6, 2014
Hey, I'm trying to use KM (2.11) to switch keyboards when I (dis-)connect a bluetooth keyboard. Unfortunately it doesn't switch keyboards.

I'm using a Note 10.1 N8000 running 4.1.2 with root. I've setup which keyboards to toggle to, but it doesn't appear to pickup the bluetooth keyboard as being a hardware keyboard.

Is there any other info I need to provide?

Cheers.

cpl101

Apr 22, 2011
Keyboard Manager Key force close

I have an ATT Samsung S5

Keyboard manager key force closes whenever I "long press" a key on the samsung keyboard ( special characters like "!" ) for example.

Any advice?

Can we debug?

Leaving my rating high in hopes we can resolve this :)

Thanks,
Chris

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Keyboard Manager allows you to customize what keyboard (input method) appear on input based on your phone orientation.
    It displays the keyboards you have enabled on your android device, and let you select one per orientation (landscape/portrait).
    As your phone switch orientation, the app automatically switch the keyboard.

The source code for the app is available at https://bitbucket.org/ne0fhyk/keyboard-manager/overview

Version 2.2:

- Bug fix: certain apps (MLB, Youtube, ...) misbehave while KM is running. This is caused by a 'transition screen', introduced in prior versions to prevent keyboard input freezes on orientation switch for older devices.
    I added the option to MANUALLY DISABLE/ENABLE the 'transition screen'. Testing on Galaxy nexuses shows that affected apps stop misbehaving.

- Bug fix: fix KM's requests for root access outside of orientation switches.

Version 2.1:

Update should reduce the frequency of force closes for the swiftkey 3 keyboard.
    Unfortunately, it's not possible at this point to eliminate all force closes while using swiftkey 3. The problem primarily lies with swiftkey 3, as many other keyboards (Thumb keyboard, hacker keyboard, swype,..) perform fine under Keyboard Manager.

If you think you can help, feel free to take a look at the code, and submit patches.

Version 2.0:

This version can he found on the android market by searching for Keyboard Manager.

I have open sourced the application source code to allow anyone to continue developing and improving the app.
    The code can be found @ https://bitbucket.org/ne0fhyk/keyboard-manager/overview

Version 1.4:

The updated version can be found on the android market app by searching for 'Keyboard Manager'.

- Fix installation bugs issue cause by /etc/fstab read/write permissions on certain android devices.

INSTALLATION ISSUES FIX:

MOTOROLA ATRIX USERS, please follow the steps below if you cannot start the app after installing it.

If you are unable to launch the app after installation, please follow these steps:

- Look in your sdcard folder for the directory /Android/data/com.ne0fhykLabs.android.utility.kmLauncher/files/
    - There should be an apk file there, Keyboardmanager.x.y.apk, where x,y stands for the version number
    - Copy that file to /system/app/, and change the permissions to rw-r--r-- (Read/write for owner, read for group, and read for other)
    - Reboot your device, and try running the app again.

If the problem still persists, please contact me through xda, or at ne0fhyk@live.com

Version 1.3:

The updated version can be found on the android market app by searching for 'Keyboard Manager'.
    This update contains fixes to installation bugs, as well as better error reporting.

Version 1.2:

I uploaded an updated version of the app to the android market.
    It can be found here( Mod edit: No Market links for paid apps) or on the 'android market' app by searching for 'Keyboard Manager'.

This update should fix the installation issue, and make it easier to push future updates to users.

Again feedbacks are welcome, and greatly appreciated.

Version 1.1:
    Requirement:
    - rooted android device (app was tested on Samsung captivate with Cognition v2.3b8 rom)

Installation:
    a- Download, and install the apk file KMLauncher.1.1.apk
    b- If KMLauncher.1.1.apk failed to install on your device, download KeyboardManager.1.1.apk manually to your sdcard, and follow the instructions for v1.0

The app should be visible in your launcher as 'Keyboard Manager'

Update:
    - added KeyboardManager.1.1.apk for cases where KMLauncher.1.1.apk failed to install
    - added/implemented 'start on boot' option
    - notification disabled by default. added option to enable it
    - ease up installation method
    - removed freeze on orientation switch

Bugs:
    - Depending on the foreground app, there might be a slight lag in the keyboard switch.
    - KMLauncher.1.1.apk has trouble installing on certain devices. If this happens, please report device information, and follow instructions for KeyboardManager.1.1.apk. I am working on a fix for KMLauncher.1.1.apk

Version 1.0:
    Requirements:
    - Rooted android device (app was tested on Samsung captivate 2.1)
    - Root Explorer app, or similar app that allows you to edit the permissions of a file.

To install:
    1- Download the app (KeyboardManager.apk) on your device sdcard.
    2- Using Root Explorer, move the apk file to /system/app
    3- Using Root Explorer, edit the file permissions like below:
    -- User: 'Read/Write' checked
    --Group: 'Read' checked
    --Others: 'Read' checked
    4- Exit Root Explorer

The app should be visible in your launcher as 'Keyboard Manager'

Update:
    - Added option to disable notification icon
    -' start on boot' feature is disabled because it's not yet complete and tested... Sorry for the confusion

Bugs:
    -On certain applications (i.e: Messaging on Samsung Captivate), the input window occasionally freeze on orientation switch. Exiting the app, and resuming should fix it.

Thanks!

- ne0fhyk
    I just pushed an update that should take care of that issue.

On another note, given I have been lacking time to fully invest in the app, I decided to open sourced it. The code can be found @ https://bitbucket.org/ne0fhyk/keyboard-manager/overview

@ne0fhyk
    Very awesome!

Thank you so much for making this!!! Working great on my MyTouch 3g Slide with CM 6.1.1. I always thought this feature should have be built in the Android OS or at least CM. Now I can have Swype and Better Keyboard running which is awesome!!! (Swype for landscape and Better Keyboard for portrait)

I did have a few problems but wasn't hard... for those of you who are having the following problems...

1. "Exception caught: java.lang.SecurityException: Using null token requires permission android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"
    2. cannot create /system/app/KeyboardManager.1.1.apk: not enough memory
    3. cannot create /system/app/KeyboardManager.1.1.apk: not enough space
    4. Root Explorer won't move the .apk file to /system/app

This normally means you don't have S-OFF and you can't write to the system/app folder. You can however transfer the file via ADB in recovery mode with the following steps:

1. Setup/Install the Android SDK
    2. Boot your phone into Recovery mode
    3. Download the KeyboardManager .apk file to your adb working directory. For example, C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    4. Open up Windows Command Prompt (cmd)
    5. Navigate your ADB working directory. For example, "cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools"
    6. Type "adb devices" and make sure you see your device listed. If not, then you need to get ADB working
    7. Type "adb shell mount /system" then hit enter
    8. Type "adb push keyboardmanager.1.1.apk /system/app" then hit enter.
    9. Type "adb reboot" then hit enter to reboot your phone
    10. Open up Keyboard Manager from your launch menu and enable it.

It worked prefect after this and I didn't have to change the permissions. If you do, just use Root Explorer like the others said or do it through adb shell.
    need option to disable notfication icon
    Having the same issue on my LG G2 running PA4.0

http://i.imgur.com/HywS828.png
    Kitkat changed the way system apps are stored, and ended up breaking KM.

I just pushed an update (version 2.10) that should fix the issue. It should be visible on the market in a couple of hours.
    Let me know if any other issues show up.