Exchanging mine tomorrow - battery plummeting randomly!

Search This thread

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
I've been troubleshooting this problem for weeks now - have never found a cause. I did a hard reset yesterday and have only installed the mainstream necessary apps - nothing sketchy or buggy at all.

My battery life is usually great and when unused drops less than 1% per hour...until suddenly it goes crazy and starts dropping ~10%/hour with NO USE.

I think perhaps something is wrong with my radio as the "mobile network signal" graph in the picture below is always spotty and shows the radio off for significant chunks of time when I know it's on. When these battery plunges start happening, it shows the radio as solid on, as you can see below...and reports the battery drain is from the radio.

A reboot fixes it but it comes back randomly within a day or two...the problem is that I can leave the phone unused for an hour to make dinner and when I pick it up next it has dropped a significant amount!

Hopefully AT&T will exchange it for me tomorrow and I will have better luck...I bought it on June 28th and tomorrow is July 28th...the 30th day, by my count.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac11700

21cdb

Nov 7, 2011
This has happened to me too on stock and AOKP. :( Just happened again a couple of hours ago.

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
So I did the exchange 4 days ago. Have not rebooted since then. Thought I was in the clear until this afternoon when the battery started to plummet again...I updated the screenshots in the first post with today's data. Very disappointed and not sure what to do now except to try and do a hardware reset and use the phone stock with no apps for a few days and see what happens...

torred

Dec 17, 2007
You are most likely suffering from almost famous "Gsiff_daemon"

Use BetterBatteryStats to see what's draining your battery.

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL

I have used it extensively. Posted numerous logs and screenshots in the developer's thread and had them examine it...no one could figure anything out.

Tonight I have watched it plummet again. I turned off wifi - it kept dropping. I turned off mobile data, it kept falling just as fast. Lastly I turned on airplane mode and it seems to have leveled off...seems to me the phone radio is the culprit but I have no clue what it could be doing!

(Forgive me if I'm hijacking)

I scooped up my SG3 on Sunday, and noticed almost immediately that my battery drops pretty quickly. I haven't rooted yet, and needless to say haven't flashed anything on it. I'm completely bone stock. I guess I'm wondering the same thing, in that I may need to return to AT&T. I lost as much as 70% in almost 8 hours with moderate to heavy use (Web browsing, textibg, a few calls, etc).

Something else: there is an orange sticker on the box it came un, much like a price tag at a retail store. On the sticker it reads: "REMATE 7.11.12" and has me wondering if this is a refurb they unloaded on me. Any ideas about the battery or this stupid aticker?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Srgsx

May 10, 2012
I notice that my battery life seems very unstable - one day it goes 10 plus hours no problem, the next day with the same usage its dying at 8 hours. The phone went bezerk this weekend, to the point of multiple reboots and just turning the thing off since it was unuseable. Factory reset over the weekend, wow ! Battery life is rocking 12 hours easy with heavy use.

The software on this phone is strange to say the least -

Yep, your battery dies after using your phone a lot. Hmmmm.

The reason I say this, is because of the fact I've heard of 12 to 14 hours or more of battery with the same (mostly) moderate to (occasional) heavy use. I understand that usage = battery discharge, I'm not a fool.

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
my battery usually only lasts 12 hours with minimal use, the only way i can go more than 8 hours is if i switch on airplane mode while i know im not going to need my phone.. while at work.

my battery usually only lasts 12 hours with minimal use, the only way i can go more than 8 hours is if i switch on airplane mode while i know im not going to need my phone.. while at work.

So perhaps I'm worrying over nothing (hopefully). I have been doing full charge to full discharge cycles and charging once it shuts down to "gel" or "season" the battery. But, there still remains the question of what the "REMATE" sticker is all about. It clearly has a date printed on it, which strikes me as odd...

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
So check out this graph...update of the earlier one.

-turned off wifi - plummet continued.
-turned off mobile data - plummet continued.
-turned on airplane mode to turn off the radio - battery stabilized. You can see the plateau towards the end.
-turned off airplane mode - plummet resumed as you can see.

Any conclusions I can take from this? It seems like it's the phone radio/standby and not apps...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6889/20120802000137.png

Last edited:

Igotsanevo4g

Aug 28, 2010
San Diego
The reason I say this, is because of the fact I've heard of 12 to 14 hours or more of battery with the same (mostly) moderate to (occasional) heavy use. I understand that usage = battery discharge, I'm not a fool.

Of course but battery loss is a corollary response to usage. Who made the rules on what moderate or heavy usage is? Besides other factors like strength of signal, etc.

That said I personally average 10-12 hours with 4hrs of screen on time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

corythug

Aug 2, 2011
PA
So check out this graph...update of the earlier one.

-turned off wifi - plummet continued.
-turned off mobile data - plummet continued.
-turned on airplane mode to turn off the radio - battery stabilized. You can see the plateau towards the end.
-turned off airplane mode - plummet resumed as you can see.

Any conclusions I can take from this? It seems like it's the phone radio/standby and not apps...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6889/20120802000137.png

Didn't see this mentioned, the stock rom had a cell standby bug where it drops by 32(whatever the measurement is) instead of what's supposed to be 3.2. This has effected me before and there are fixes.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas

Juice Defender Ultimate works great for me at work. Shuts off my data radio while screen is locked.

The location for wifi(allowing it to control wifi) is a little funky so I stopped using it(and suffered a little in the beginning because i kept forgetting to turn off wifi at night)

You can see how much my phone goes into deep sleep mode - This shows last night when I went to bed
Screenshot_2012-08-02-08-27-50.png

This is my battery graph - note that sharp drop was last night when I was installing the Google Wallet fix and the dev had an issue with the update. Took me a little while to figure it out as you can see.

Screenshot_2012-08-02-08-28-20.png

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
Didn't see this mentioned, the stock rom had a cell standby bug where it drops by 32(whatever the measurement is) instead of what's supposed to be 3.2. This has effected me before and there are fixes.

That doesn't explain why the actual battery it dropping so fast. I suppose it could skew the "reason" the system gives for the battery drop...but it's further proven by the fact that the only way to stop the drop is to turn off the radio - even turning off mobile data alone does not stop it at all.

Juice Defender Ultimate works great for me at work. Shuts off my data radio while screen is locked.

The location for wifi(allowing it to control wifi) is a little funky so I stopped using it(and suffered a little in the beginning because i kept forgetting to turn off wifi at night)

You can see how much my phone goes into deep sleep mode - This shows last night when I went to bed
Screenshot_2012-08-02-08-27-50.png

This is my battery graph - note that sharp drop was last night when I was installing the Google Wallet fix and the dev had an issue with the update. Took me a little while to figure it out as you can see.

Screenshot_2012-08-02-08-28-20.png

Your sharp drop is correlated to heavy screen on time. Mine is correlated to nothing...just sitting there with the screen off and nothing happening that I can tell.

pvc_

Oct 6, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I reported this problem back in June. This same exact thing happens to mine. Normally the battery is awesome, but sometimes it starts discharging at a crazy rate at which point I restart thee phone to fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010

That's definitely my problem. When gsiff_daemon hasn't gone crazy the battery life is very good. I've only had the phone 3 days now and on the second found the battery discharging quickly when the phone was in standby (like the OP). I diagnosed this to be caused by gsiff_daemon. Seems to happen after the phone stops responding to input then does a warm restart. I only found one thread on this issue on one of the other S3 forums at XDA (TMo or global?)

Is there any sign of a fix for this? This is making an otherwise excellent phone horrible. I tried to relate this problem to Samsung through their support site, but just got a generic robot answer. Samsung's support site appears to be useless. Is there any indication Samsung is even aware of these problems?

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I use System Tuner to check for gsiff_daemon going nuts. I normally notice it because my phone gets hot. If you use the Task Mgr from System Tuner and turn on display of kernel processes, it will pop right to the top if that's your problem.

The easiest way to deal with the problem when you notice it is to kill the process with System Tuner. It will start up again, but will not longer pin your CPU. A restart also works, but takes longer (and uses more battery).

You might also want to set up the Watchdog app to notify you when gsiff_daemon goes nuts.

I noticed you posted BBS logs, but gsiff_daemon will show up in Process, which doesn't appear to be logged (at least it isn't in the log in just dumped from my BBS).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    16hrs on battery and still at 43% is pretty darn good if u ask me.
    I lost as much as 70% in almost 8 hours with moderate to heavy use (Web browsing, textibg, a few calls, etc).

Yep, your battery dies after using your phone a lot. Hmmmm.
    I've been troubleshooting this problem for weeks now - have never found a cause. I did a hard reset yesterday and have only installed the mainstream necessary apps - nothing sketchy or buggy at all.

My battery life is usually great and when unused drops less than 1% per hour...until suddenly it goes crazy and starts dropping ~10%/hour with NO USE.

I think perhaps something is wrong with my radio as the "mobile network signal" graph in the picture below is always spotty and shows the radio off for significant chunks of time when I know it's on. When these battery plunges start happening, it shows the radio as solid on, as you can see below...and reports the battery drain is from the radio.

A reboot fixes it but it comes back randomly within a day or two...the problem is that I can leave the phone unused for an hour to make dinner and when I pick it up next it has dropped a significant amount!

Hopefully AT&T will exchange it for me tomorrow and I will have better luck...I bought it on June 28th and tomorrow is July 28th...the 30th day, by my count.

Network switching and battery drain

So I have also been experiencing the random battery drain (10-20%/hr) and overheat of battery that many people have been talking about here and other places, that appears to be triggered by something unknown, and will drain until you reboot. All with Sync, wifi, data, screen, GPS off, and mostly just stock apps.

I am on AT&T in Chicago, and changed from LTE (PTA) to HSPA network but setting up an APN "wap.cingular". This does not require root, and got the idea from somebody on AT&T forum who got it from AT&T support themselves. Verified I was on HSPA through Settings->About Device->Status, along with not having "4G LTE" just "4G" when I turn on data, and of course, much slower data speeds.

Since then (2 days) have not had any random battery drains (10-20%/hr), and have been able to use everything normally (phone, data, wifi, GPS). By now, on LTE, would have definitely had at least one battery drain occur. I will keep on HSPA and write again if I do experience a drain. I suspect that the battery drain is triggered by the phone trying to change networks from LTE and HSPA and not being able to do so.

Further evidence of this: on a prior xda post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1791955&page=2), somebody discusses how LTE does not carry voice and AT&T puts you in LTE on standby and then switches to HSPA when a call comes in and then back when you are done. I remember 2-3 battery drains being triggered by a phone call. Other times, when I had bad signal, the network changed from LTE to HSPA also (in Settings->About Device->Status) This could explain the randomness of the drains.
    Also, I randomly searched and found some highly technical papers that seemed to say it is hard to negotiate the change. 2G/3G changes are easy, but LTE to 3G/4G is not that easy. Also, when I switch networks manually, through settings and selecting APN, the battery heat up and drain start. So, I do believe that this is the cause, will continue on HSPA to make sure. On HSPA also the standby battery life is incredible (1% overnight -- with sync on, no data)

So I do hope the solution is in the works, really got used to LTE speeds. You can of course, switch to LTE network by going into the settings and changing, but takes 4-5 extra clicks. Hopefully some OTA ROM update, which jeffrei posted previously, or the Voice Over LTE that is hopefully coming (http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-Now-Supporting-VoLTE-392288/) so the phone would not have to constantly change networks with every call.

Other things I don't know -> There are settings on the GSAM app, international versions of the phone, and I believe the Verizon phones in the US, that talk about LTE RAM dumps, enabling SMS over IMS. If anybody knows more about this, or a toggle that works on AT&T that allows quick switching of networks (which I believe AT&T does not actually allow), would be great.

Hope this helps people. To set up new APN...go to Settings->Wireless and Network Settings: More Settings ->MObile Networks->Access Point Names. Then menu button, New APN, and under APN add "wap.cingular" and whatever Name you want. I think I had to wait or reboot after or something.