[Video] Photography Tutorial - long overdue!

Search This thread

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
Hey folks, I got some good news...

The long overdue photography video tutorial is finally out - enjoy!

Tell me what you think (oh, and I'm well aware of the microphone issue, I'll fix it next time). If you knew everything that I've said in this video already, fear not - I'm planning on making a part 2 and a part 3 about post-processing inside and outside of Android, since that's what people seemed interested in, as well as more general photography tips such as how to better compose an image. If you have anything else that you'd love to see a tutorial of, please do mention it!

EDIT: my Z1 Flickr album

Cheers :highfive:

Last edited:

BlAckXpeRia

Dec 22, 2013
Yambol

Tell me what you think (oh, and I'm well aware of the microphone issue, I'll fix it next time). If you knew everything that I've said in this video already, fear not - I'm planning on making a part 2 and a part 3 about post-processing inside and outside of Android, since that's what people seemed interested in, as well as more general photography tips such as how to better compose an image. If you have anything else that you'd love to see a tutorial of, please do mention it!

Can you tell me which rom/kernel do you use? Cause your camera app is opening very fast.

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really glad to hear you like this kind of video! I'll definitely make more now :D
(although you may have to wait a short while, y'know how busy studies can get...)

Can you tell me which rom/kernel do you use? Cause your camera app is opening very fast.

I'm using the latest stock firmware from Sony. So nothing fancy!
The thing is, I tested some things before recording so the application was most likely still in memory. I tried again just now and the camera seems to open in about two seconds when it's not in memory.

Vengeance66

Dec 7, 2012
Tetovo
rainbowenter.com
Awesome! Great video!

I didn't knew that Night Mode will decrease the shutter speed a bit. I will try it out tonight.

The camera in Z1 is awesome! I have many great shots with it. I just printed around 30 photos. You cannot tell much difference between the phone and a digital camera. :)

Yenkazu

Mar 24, 2011
South Sulawesi, Makassar
Any tips and trick using flash LED on Z1 when taking a photo ?
This is a little tricky too.
And the more strong light from flash LED will make the photo better or doesn't for taking a picture with low light ? (light condition around 40-50%)

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
Any tips and trick using flash LED on Z1 when taking a photo ?
This is a little tricky too.
And the more strong light from flash LED will make the photo better or doesn't for taking a picture with low light ? (light condition around 40-50%)

Hey,

I never use the LED light on my phone for photos. I used to use Xenon flashes on my SE Satio and Nokia N8, but LED lights are generally just too weak. Especially the single LED found on the Z series. In low light, I will use Night Mode and set my phone against some object so that I can take photos at the minimum shutter speed. For my static shots, an LED light would imbalance the white balance anyway, so I'm always better off not using it (as a "fill light" it is also surprisingly ineffective).

The only time I would consider using the flash is when I'm not trying to take good shots but useful ones instead. Photos that otherwise turn out too dark to see anything that I should be seeing. As for club or party photos - I just don't take those. That is pretty much the most difficult environment and no smartphone camera can really take decent photographs in that case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EDIT: my Z1 Flickr album

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really glad to hear you like this kind of video! I'll definitely make more now :D
    (although you may have to wait a short while, y'know how busy studies can get...)

I'm using the latest stock firmware from Sony. So nothing fancy!
    The thing is, I tested some things before recording so the application was most likely still in memory. I tried again just now and the camera seems to open in about two seconds when it's not in memory.