[Q] MotoX Camera Focus Issues

Search This thread

glimmer00

Mar 28, 2012
Anyone else have issues with the camera's ability to focus? I'm not talking about some of the other issues regarding low light performance, or color casts, just straight up is the picture in focus. Since getting the phone a couple months ago I hadn't taken many pics at all and they were always under low light and of stuff I just wanted to remember vs taking a picture to look at so I didn't pay any attention to the quality as most were deleted soon after.

This past weekend I was outside and noticed I could not get an in focus picture no matter what. Daytime outdoor lighting was plenty good to get a high enough shutter speed to avoid blur and I don't have shaky hands. I took a few pics to compare it with a Samsung Galaxy S2 (wife's phone). All pics were taken around the same time, the lens was definately clean and I used the same app on both phones for two of the pics. I took an extra with the stock camera app on the moto x as well. If you check out the set you can easily see the blurring on the windows on the houses across the street. And the close garden fence you can't even see the chicken wire which is totally sharp in the GS2 pic.

Pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40202720@N04/sets/72157641535964283

It looks like I may have a hardware issue. Before I try to send it back anything else to try? Its running 4.4.2 now after starting with 4.2.2, OTA almost right out of the box to 4.4 and recently to 4.4.2. Its the XT1053, GSM Dev Edition. I'm definitely out of the return period since it was bought end of November (at full price too) so it would have to be a warranty repair I'm guessing. Is it possible to get a replacement sent in advance or is the only option to send it in, wait, and be without my phone for probably 2+ weeks?

Reactions: drago10029

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
Anyone else have issues with the camera's ability to focus?......

I can confirm that the focus on the camera is not up to par. Did you use the manual focus setting? Also how steady are your hands?

I get blurry pictures too, I suspect that there was a trade off in the camera. really good resolution/sensor but no digital or optical stabilization feature what so ever. My prediction is based on the fact that those blurry pictures you posted look like the ones on my galaxy S 2 when the stabilization feature is off.

Also any little shakes give my moto x camera some blur which is why I suspect the stabilization is not present or is poorly functioning.

Please if anyone else is having this issue, you don't have to explain but post that you have the issue, android version, model number and if your camera software is up to date! Maybe Motorola will take notice of this thread and offer a really good camera fix in the next update!

p.s. the shutter speed is pretty slow too... comparable to my old galaxy s2 skyrocket

Model: XT 1053 (T-mobile - Unlocked version) same as developer edition so give us the same warranty Motorola!!

Last edited:

conquesoextra

May 2, 2012
My camera sucks too, I hate the autofocus of the moto x.

But besides that i love everything else.

Enviado desde mi XT1053 mediante Tapatalk

glimmer00

Mar 28, 2012
My hands were not shaking for any of the shots and I did use manual focus.

I added 2 more shots today.

One is a building by my work. The lighting was quite bright and thus the shutter speed was over 1/4000 a second. At that level the effect of minor shaking would be greatly diminished. I can usually hold a camera steady enough to avoid blur down to about 1/40 a second if I am careful so I know its not me.

By comparision I took another shot tonight, inside with much lower light conditions. Its a battery in my hand taken while I hold the phone with the other hand. Shutter speed 1/60 a second and the shot is clear. This shows I can indeed hold it steady enough so hand shake isn't a factor. It also shows that my camera is good with macro shots. but not much else.

I looked around for the reviews I used before purchase and have this one: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/10

The shots shown there from the MotoX show it is capable of focusing fine, at distance, compared with other phones. It may have other issues with odd colors and patterns, but the focus is solid enough.

Based on the review shots and the shots I've posted I do not think the Moto X is simply incapable of focusing as clearly it was able to focus for the review. It looks like my phone may have a defective camera module or somehow be stuck in some kind of macro mode.

Anyone know if I can get an advance replacement or something vs just sending it back and waiting?

glimmer00

Mar 28, 2012
In case anyone wonders what happened when I finally did try to get help from Moto the experience is not pleasant. I did wait a bit(still well within warranty and I don't want to be without my phone). I called them on 4/5. 2 calls later, one email though their website and a live chat tonight and I still have not gotten the promised email with return instructions and shipping label.

So, at least if you have a Dev Edition it seems Moto may be unable or unwilling to help you in any reasonable time.

I'll update this when the saga concludes. One initially happy customer getting decidedly less happy.

mushbert

Dec 14, 2013
I'll update this when the saga concludes.

Sorry for the thread necro, but what happened? Did you get your original phone back, or a replacement?

I have the same problem currently with a Droid Mini, the camera was working fine but one day I noticed the auto-focus was unresponsive. Tried the software solutions but it's no good... No warranty, so I've ordered a replacement camera module and hopefully that will resolve it (bad pun).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else have issues with the camera's ability to focus? I'm not talking about some of the other issues regarding low light performance, or color casts, just straight up is the picture in focus. Since getting the phone a couple months ago I hadn't taken many pics at all and they were always under low light and of stuff I just wanted to remember vs taking a picture to look at so I didn't pay any attention to the quality as most were deleted soon after.

This past weekend I was outside and noticed I could not get an in focus picture no matter what. Daytime outdoor lighting was plenty good to get a high enough shutter speed to avoid blur and I don't have shaky hands. I took a few pics to compare it with a Samsung Galaxy S2 (wife's phone). All pics were taken around the same time, the lens was definately clean and I used the same app on both phones for two of the pics. I took an extra with the stock camera app on the moto x as well. If you check out the set you can easily see the blurring on the windows on the houses across the street. And the close garden fence you can't even see the chicken wire which is totally sharp in the GS2 pic.

Pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40202720@N04/sets/72157641535964283

It looks like I may have a hardware issue. Before I try to send it back anything else to try? Its running 4.4.2 now after starting with 4.2.2, OTA almost right out of the box to 4.4 and recently to 4.4.2. Its the XT1053, GSM Dev Edition. I'm definitely out of the return period since it was bought end of November (at full price too) so it would have to be a warranty repair I'm guessing. Is it possible to get a replacement sent in advance or is the only option to send it in, wait, and be without my phone for probably 2+ weeks?