[Q] Opinions on Nexus program warranty?

What kind of experience have you had with the Nexus warranty program?

• Aweful - I feel your pain

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Alright - they worked it out eventually

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great - they bent over backwards

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Warranty? You mean this thing can break?

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

solacelost

Dec 12, 2010
My touch screen recently stopped responding altogether. I've had intermittent problems with it, sometimes seeming to be related to whether or not the charger was plugged in (as I've seen some other complaints about this), and sometimes simply inexplicably temporarily stupid. It's been unresponsive entirely for about two weeks now, though. The phone never got wet, bent, dropped, etc.

I called Google's Nexus support and talked to them about it for a while. We did a bunch of stuff over the phone that I deemed entirely unnecessary but did just to placate the customer service rep on the phone with me. I cleared cache, wiped the phone, flashed the latest OTA, basically everything I could do except take it apart while the touchscreen doesn't work. We settled (finally) on needing to RMA the phone.

After creating and setting up the RMA, I was informed that they need to place a $400 on my account while we cross-ship the device. After they checked the device out and the moisture indicator came up clean and whatnot, I'd get my money back. I'm pretty poor, especially given that I have three children, and can't really loan Google $400. I told the rep that if possible, I wanted to simply send them my phone and wait until they did whatever they needed to do, then either told me to eff off or sent me a new phone. He said he'd have to talk to his lead. He did so, and was told that no, there's absolutely no way I could send them my inoperative phone and wait until they could confirm I'd been sent a dud. I have to fork over $400, absolutely, no matter what, until they determine that I'm not a jackass trying to get over on them.

Feeling that this was completely illogical and that there was no way Google would have a ridiculous policy like this, with no exception, I decided to try again a few days later. I talked to a different rep about the situation and was fed basically the exact same verbatim line. I purchased my Nexus 5 on launch day, 6 November. My warranty runs up in a few months and I'll be heading to Afghanistan for an all-expenses paid vacation right before it does. I'm pretty furious about the whole ordeal and, basically, I want to know what kind of experiences other people have had regarding Google's warranty program?

tl;dr

DummyPLUG

Dec 18, 2007
Hong Kong
Different story here (Hong Kong), I can just drop it at LG service center then they will take care of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: teonagode

solacelost

Dec 12, 2010
Actually, that brings me to another point. I was advised to call LG to see what they could do for me. LG told me that if I paid to ship it to them, they'd happily repair it for money, then charge me to ship it back. US warranty repair/replacement is all through Google, they told me.

That's a fantastic piece of advice I was offered.

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
I don't really see the problem. You have a credit card, right? When I had my Nexus 5 replaced, I gave them my credit card number, a pending charge for $400 showed up, and after they received my phone, the pending charge went away. I don't even think the charge ever went past pending on my credit card. I certainly didn't have to actually pay or lend them $400 of my own money.

teonagode

Jun 9, 2012
Ajdovscina
Different story here (Hong Kong), I can just drop it at LG service center then they will take care of it.

Same here in Slovenia, you Americans are really getting robbed by that capitalism lol,to give them a 400$ loan I mean omg,and I'm grateful that I live in the EU where the rights of consumers are protected and every phone bought here has a 24month warranty :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: DigitalUnderground

Enhanced

Sep 18, 2010
After creating and setting up the RMA, I was informed that they need to place a $400 on my account while we cross-ship the device. After they checked the device out and the moisture indicator came up clean and whatnot, I'd get my money back. I'm pretty poor, especially given that I have three children, and can't really loan Google $400. I told the rep that if possible, I wanted to simply send them my phone and wait until they did whatever they needed to do, then either told me to eff off or sent me a new phone. He said he'd have to talk to his lead. He did so, and was told that no, there's absolutely no way I could send them my inoperative phone and wait until they could confirm I'd been sent a dud. I have to fork over $400, absolutely, no matter what, until they determine that I'm not a jackass trying to get over on them.

tl;dr

I assume that Google is doing the "we send you a new phone and once you get it, you send us back the old phone while we hold the price of a Nexus 5 on your credit card account" if I understand your post correctly. I find it a little funny that people can hate this method, as you do, while other people, like myself, love doing it this way.

I had to RMA my Nexus 5 after 1 month of use because it kept rebooting and I was so happy that I was allowed to keep my defective phone (because it can still be used, even though it annoyingly reboots) while waiting for a new device to be shipped to me. I wouldn't know what to do if I had NO cell phone for however long it takes for me to first send them my defective phone and then wait for them to process it and send a replacement phone. I'd guess that would probably take upwards of 2 weeks.

When I used Logitech's RMA process for my mouse, I had to beg them to use the same process. How was I supposed to use my desktop computer with no mouse for 2+ weeks while waiting for a replacement?

Overall, I think Google's warranty program is setup to be consumer friendly, but I can see how it can be a headache for those that are poor.

solacelost

Dec 12, 2010
Also, having my device while waiting for the replacement isn't super useful to me if the entire touchscreen is inoperative. That's the point I tried to make with Google, I don't need a new device ASAP because this one is just as useless as no device. I'm already using an old phone (which I can't stand...).

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Same here in Slovenia, you Americans are really getting robbed by that capitalism lol,to give them a 400$ loan I mean omg,and I'm grateful that I live in the EU where the rights of consumers are protected and every phone bought here has a 24month warranty :)

Money is sent to Google so they can send out a second device. Once you have 2x Nexus phones in your hands you can then decide which you want to return and are never left device-less.

There is no loan, just a short hold on your credit card in case you keep both. Cross shipping is a valuable service, but you can choose to deal with LG and be in the same boat as most non-Google phone owners who are forced to wait a month or so for service.

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
If you don't have $400 to put up as collateral, I would just get a credit card. There are a lot of benefits to having a credit card. You can get 1% to 5% cash back on everything you buy, build credit, get better fraud protection than a debit or ATM card, and you can use it in situations like this as collateral instead of loaning a company your own money.

I do agree that Google should allow standard, old fashioned RMAs for people without credit cards who don't mind waiting though. That sucks.

Last edited:

jwhyte

May 29, 2013
Milwaukee
+1 just RMA my device... Use a credit card they won't charge it just a temporary authorization so no money actually changing hands. Once your device is back in their hands they will cancel the authorization.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bblzd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

+1 just RMA my device... Use a credit card they won't charge it just a temporary authorization so no money actually changing hands. Once your device is back in their hands they will cancel the authorization.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk