[Q] Non-carrier firmware vs carrier firmware

Search This thread

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Hello all,

I'm just wondering, do you guys notice or know of any real difference b/t the unlocked/non-carrier firmware that's out there and the carrier-specific firmware from T-Mobile for the M8? Is one considered better than the other?

Please share your thoughts with us!

Thank You,

RockStar2005

Steven How

Apr 14, 2011
Hello all,

I'm just wondering, do you guys notice or know of any real difference b/t the unlocked/non-carrier firmware that's out there and the carrier-specific firmware from T-Mobile for the M8? Is one considered better than the other?

Thank You,

RockStar2005

Non carrier get updates faster (wwe) and carrier specific tend to need to wait sometime for the lastest update. Correct me if I'm wrong haha. But carrier specific usually comes with bloatware .

Sent from my HTC ONE M8 HK

Reactions: RockStar2005

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Non carrier get updates faster (wwe) and carrier specific tend to need to wait sometime for the lastest update. Correct me if I'm wrong haha. But carrier specific usually comes with bloatware .

That's correct. In case of the TMOB M8 (as I got this) the EPSM was missing even after the OTA to 1.70.111.x. so I decided to change CID/MID to WWE and reverted my M8 to the WWE variant using a stock backup as well as the FW of 2.22.401.4. Now all is fine and lately I even received the OTA "2.22.401.4 > 2.22.401.5" containing a GPS fix.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

smokin901

Hello all,

Thank You,

RockStar2005
If you are talking about Firmware as in files in firmware.zip

ie
hboot
radio.img
modem_st1.img
rcdata.img
rconfig.img
rpm.img
etc......

then
radio is different for every major carrier which enables or disables specific radio bands.
true for US region.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014

I see.

Well I know the phones come with bloatware vs unlocked/international ones......... but the firmware comes with it too? lol

RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
That's correct. In case of the TMOB M8 (as I got this) the EPSM was missing even after the OTA to 1.70.111.x. so I decided to change CID/MID to WWE and reverted my M8 to the WWE variant using a stock backup as well as the FW of 2.22.401.4. Now all is fine and lately I even received the OTA "2.22.401.4 > 2.22.401.5" containing a GPS fix.

Hello again HTC,

What's EPSM? And WWE?

Wow really?? The T-Mobile OTA was actually missing stuff the non-carrier one wasn't?? That's crazy. And here I was asking this cuz I was worried that by downloading the non-carrier variant of the firmware that I was perhaps missing things my phone would need to work at optimal level. Sounds like it's actually the opposite! lol I use the ViperOne M8 rom by Team Venom and they're VERY good about including all the important M8 updates for my phone (and some nice extras, like letting notif light still blink while charging for new msgs, turning off annoying high volume warning, etc), and they seem to have them out before T-Mobile does (see below). Yeah the newest firmware I got (not from Venon, but from here: http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware) was necessary for Venom's OTA to work, but I did notice that when I finally got Venom's OTA that it mentioned a GPS fix too, so they got that in there as well.

I just wish T-Mobile would hurry up and get VoLTE activated for the M8. I know it's capable of VoLTE, but an OTA will be needed to activate it. Once it's activated, and ur in a VoLTE-activated area/city, the calls won't revert back to 4G but instead will stay at 4G LTE, and will be better quality and less likely to drop.

ViperOne prob beat T-Mo by 2 days on that GPS fix, but in reality, from what u said, I dunno if T-Mo's even has it yet or not(?) as it's not mentioned in their super vague description:

ViperOneM8 2.2.0 (August 19)
ADDED full T-Mobile carrier support
FIXED T-Mobile WIFI calling
FIXED Locked IPV4/6 Settings
FIXED AOSP incoming call workaround not working

ViperOneM8 2.1.0 (August 16)
Merged with HTC OTA 2.22.401.5
Added new stock kernel from OTA (Only full ROM)
GPS improvements and fixes from HTC
Workaround white gap in dialer when having custom stock navbar size
Fixed Notification icon color
Added longpress power custom actions

vs. T-Mobile:

Beginning August 18, the HTC One (M8) received a software update 2.22.531.5 (or firmware 2.22.401.4 or .5?).

Software version
Android version 4.4.3/ Software 2.22.531.5- Current version
Version
Android version 4.4.3/Software 2.22.531.5
Approved 08/18/14
Features
User experience improvements
Prerequisites
Device software is not rooted
50% battery life
Wi-Fi connection

And I can't even confirm if T-Mobile actually deployed it to my area on the 18th or not as I've been on ViperOne for weeks now, and so because of that, I wouldn't get the OTA notification anymore.

RockStar2005

Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
If you are talking about Firmware as in files in firmware.zip

ie
hboot
radio.img
modem_st1.img
rcdata.img
rconfig.img
rpm.img
etc......

then
radio is different for every major carrier which enables or disables specific radio bands.
true for US region.

Smokin,

Ok. I'm just trying to pinpoint the pros and cons of downloading firmware or even regular OTA updates on a T-Mobile M8 vs a non-carrier specific M8. I def get that the radio bands will differ from one carrier to the next, but is there any gain or loss of quality etc in downloading a carrier-specific firmware or OTA, or no difference at all? The posts so far have suggested a difference in favor of the non-carrier versions.

RockStar2005

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
Hello again HTC,

What's EPSM? And WWE?

Wow really?? The T-Mobile OTA was actually missing stuff the non-carrier one wasn't?? That's crazy.

Actually I think it is very sad that those things were still missing, when I debranded mine, as all non-carrier devices got the EPSM with the day one update to give an example.

T-Mobile:

Beginning August 18, the HTC One (M8) received a software update 2.22.531.5 (or firmware 2.22.401.4 or .5?).

Software version
Android version 4.4.3/ Software 2.22.531.5- Current version
Version
Android version 4.4.3/Software 2.22.531.5
Approved 08/18/14
Features
User experience improvements
Prerequisites
Device software is not rooted
50% battery life
Wi-Fi connection

And reading the quote above I wouldn't put my ass on the line that the GPS fix realy is inclueded.

But maybe some T-MOB101 users could tell if this update finally got the EPSM, as well as the GPS fix!?

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Actually I think it is very sad that those things were still missing, when I debranded mine, as all non-carrier devices got the EPSM with the day one update to give an example.

And reading the quote above I wouldn't put my ass on the line that the GPS fix realy is inclueded.

But maybe some T-MOB101 users could tell if this update finally got the EPSM, as well as the GPS fix!?

I see. But what's EPSM though? And WWE? Not sure I'm following on the "day one update"......do u mean the non-carrier devices got EPSM on the same day it was set to be released?

Yeah........ I mean, the carriers deploy the updates by regions over a set period of time. And note that it was APPROVED on August 18th by T-Mobile. I don't know if that was the same date they started deploying or not too. And since their description is so vague, I again can't say if that GPS fix was included or not. To me, the GPS on phones still aren't 100% perfect, so ANY fix that a company (phone maker or even carrier) can put out there that improves GPS quality is important. Just 2 weeks ago my GPS SLIGHTLY took me off course until I reset my phone, then all was fine. Wasted about 10 minutes of my time because of it. Not a big deal, but still relevant. Maybe had I already had that fix back then that wouldn't have happened? I mean, u still should reset your phone once or twice a week anyway I think, but these fixes help increase the chance of success w/o HAVING to reboot.

RockStar2005

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
I see. But what's EPSM though? And WWE? Not sure I'm following on the "day one update"......do u mean the non-carrier devices got EPSM on the same day it was set to be released?

Yeah........ I mean, the carriers deploy the updates by regions over a set period of time. And note that it was APPROVED on August 18th by T-Mobile. I don't know if that was the same date they started deploying or not too. And since their description is so vague, I again can't say if that GPS fix was included or not. To me, the GPS on phones still aren't 100% perfect, so ANY fix that a company (phone maker or even carrier) can put out there that improves GPS quality is important. Just 2 weeks ago my GPS SLIGHTLY took me off course until I reset my phone, then all was fine. Wasted about 10 minutes of my time because of it. Not a big deal, but still relevant. Maybe had I already had that fix back then that wouldn't have happened? I mean, u still should reset your phone once or twice a week anyway I think, but these fixes help increase the chance of success w/o HAVING to reboot.

RockStar2005

EPSM is the ExtremePowerSavingMode introduced by HTC and yes the update came out on the day the One M8 got released. At least it did for the WWE (World Wide English) variants of the HTC - which are the official HTC variants without any - if just like here - software branding by the providers.

In my opinion that's what leeds to long period between HTC own OTAs and carrier OTAs of any smartphone. The carriers - be it T-Mobile, Vodafone or some others - try to integrate their own bloatware into those updates. T-Mob e.g. says there are still issues with the EPSM, but asking me those problems are likely to be triggered by T-Mobiles own bloatware.

And well fixes for e.g. GPS just arrive much later on carrier-branded devices ....

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Smokin,
is there any gain or loss of quality etc in downloading a carrier-specific firmware or OTA, or no difference at all?

Quality of what? It seems like a very subjective question. Fixes and other updates are almost always going to come out sooner on the "international" unbranded version. That much is "better". But some folks like carrier-specific features. For example, doesn't T-Mob have WiFi calling? Some AT&T folks like Visual Voicemail and ISIS (payment system), while I (just personally) can care less for such things.

As far as band support, having your carrier's radio (or one that is at least compatible with your carrier) plus the custom ROM of your choice should take care of any band compatibility issues.

Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
EPSM is the ExtremePowerSavingMode introduced by HTC and yes the update came out on the day the One M8 got released. At least it did for the WWE (World Wide English) variants of the HTC - which are the official HTC variants without any - if just like here - software branding by the providers.

In my opinion that's what leeds to long period between HTC own OTAs and carrier OTAs of any smartphone. The carriers - be it T-Mobile, Vodafone or some others - try to integrate their own bloatware into those updates. T-Mob e.g. says there are still issues with the EPSM, but asking me those problems are likely to be triggered by T-Mobiles own bloatware.

And well fixes for e.g. GPS just arrive much later on carrier-branded devices ....

Yoda,

Oh yeah........ ok, EPSM. Got it. Yeah that came out weeks later on T-Mobile, but ok that's cool that HTC released it the same day the M8 was released. Yeah, I guess that makes sense b/c they're adding more into it, but not anything important. But I'm still not getting how bloatware fits in to the firmware? I understand bloatware like all the T-Mobile-specific apps that come with the phone, but what bloatware comes in the updates??

Yeah that's definitely a possibility........... like perhaps certain parts of their "firmware bloatware" are interfering or not compatible with the EPSM.

Well that's not good. Those fixes should be deployed before anything else. Google Maps is only as good as the phone's GPS capabilities.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
Yoda,

Oh yeah........ ok, EPSM. Got it. Yeah that came out weeks later on T-Mobile, but ok that's cool that HTC released it the same day the M8 was released. Yeah, I guess that makes sense b/c they're adding more into it, but not anything important. But I'm still not getting how bloatware fits in to the firmware? I understand bloatware like all the T-Mobile-specific apps that come with the phone, but what bloatware comes in the updates??

Yeah that's definitely a possibility........... like perhaps certain parts of their "firmware bloatware" are interfering or not compatible with the EPSM.

Well that's not good. Those fixes should be deployed before anything else. Google Maps is only as good as the phone's GPS capabilities.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

You're welcome RockStar!

Firmware (such as ICS, Jelly Bean, KitKat) on your phone is the core system. The ROM IS just the OS on top of it. But the OS is configured to perform with a specific core, meaning that a carrier OS version is programmed to work with a specially designed firmware. Thus firmware for e.g. a T-Mobile ROM (OS) is a little bit altered compared to the one for a pure HTC ROM, as it has to fit the ROM altered by T-Mobile.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
You're welcome RockStar!

Firmware (such as ICS, Jelly Bean, KitKat) on your phone is the core system. The ROM IS just the OS on top of it. But the OS is configured to perform with a specific core, meaning that a carrier OS version is programmed to work with a specially designed firmware. Thus firmware for e.g. a T-Mobile ROM (OS) is a little bit altered compared to the one for a pure HTC ROM, as it has to fit the ROM altered by T-Mobile.

Yoda,

I see. Well right now I use ViperOne M8, and although the last firmware was from T-Mo, the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

I see what you're saying better now, but I don't know if I'd call the T-Mobile firmware & ROM "bloatware". But I guess to really know how to refer to it, I'd have to ask: What kind of changes do they make to the carrier one?

Thanks,

RockStar2005

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
Yoda,

I see. Well right now I use ViperOne M8, and although the last firmware was from T-Mo, the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

I see what you're saying better now, but I don't know if I'd call the T-Mobile firmware & ROM "bloatware". But I guess to really know how to refer to it, I'd have to ask: What kind of changes do they make to the carrier one?

Thanks,

RockStar2005

Yes, the one you got is the WWE firmware. And yes again, ViperOne works with most 2.22.xxx.x firmwares, but is build upon 2.22.401.5.

Changes are as @redpoint73 already said e.g. Wifi calling in case of the T-Mobile firmware.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Quality of what? It seems like a very subjective question. Fixes and other updates are almost always going to come out sooner on the "international" unbranded version. That much is "better". But some folks like carrier-specific features. For example, doesn't T-Mob have WiFi calling? Some AT&T folks like Visual Voicemail and ISIS (payment system), while I (just personally) can care less for such things.

As far as band support, having your carrier's radio (or one that is at least compatible with your carrier) plus the custom ROM of your choice should take care of any band compatibility issues.

Red,

I just meant quality of how the phone interacts with the network, etc.

Yes that is true. Though ROMs like the one I have, ViperOne M8, have managed to include things like Wi-Fi Calling in their options. Since ViperOne is fully compatible with T-Mobile M8s, and they have been good about offering the same things T-Mo does, then it seems to be all good. I think Six was just saying it's really only an issue when you use one carrier's phone on another carrier's network.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Yes, the one you got is the WWE firmware. And yes again, ViperOne works with most 2.22.xxx.x firmwares, but is build upon 2.22.401.5.

Changes are as @redpoint73 already said e.g. Wifi calling in case of the T-Mobile firmware.

Yoda,

Ok. I just said int'l, but I guess WWE is the same thing. Good to know.

Yeah. ViperOne didn't have Wi-Fi Calling for a lil while but as of last week the most recent update re-enabled it on my M8. I never use it though b/c it totally blocks incoming/outgoing MMS (though not regular SMS) messages. Even one customer service rep lady at T-Mobile told me she has the same issue, and has for years. I would only use it if I was in another country and wanted to make a free call and had access to Wi-Fi. :eek: But I'd shut it off the second I was done with that call. lol

Thanks,

RockStar2005

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Red,

I just meant quality of how the phone interacts with the network, etc.

Its not normally a function of the ROM. As long as you are on a T-Mob compatible radio, it shouldn't matter what ROM you are on.

Although there is the other complication that has been mentioned: with any 2.xx based custom ROM (ViperOne included) you need to be using updated firmware (not to be confused with the ROM). So you will want a firmware that plays well with the 2.xx ROM, and one that plays well with T-Mobile's network.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

2.22.401 firmware is for the unbranded "international" variant. Its not specifically designed for use in the US, and at least for AT&T, it has caused reception issues from dodgy reception, to no service whatsoever (solution was to flash 2.22.1540 firmware). So not sure how this will play out on the T-Mob network.

Best bet would be to flash the firmware from the new T-Mob OTA rolling out, but I don't think its been posted here yet.

Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Yeah, though I was referring more to the firmware than the ROM.

Yes..... true. Yeah the firmware is just the various data and ROM is like the interface. I believe the 2.22.401.5 firmware is fully compatible. If you believe it's not, please let me know.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

2.22.401 firmware is for the unbranded "international" variant. Its not specifically designed for use in the US, and at least for AT&T, it has caused reception issues from dodgy reception, to no service whatsoever (solution was to flash 2.22.1540 firmware). So not sure how this will play out on the T-Mob network.

Best bet would be to flash the firmware from the new T-Mob OTA rolling out, but I don't think its been posted here yet.[/QUOTE]

The firmware I have is 2.22.401.5. And ViperOne M8 offers (using 2.22.401.5 as a base) full T-Mo functionality:

ViperOneM8 2.2.0 (August 19)
ADDED full T-Mobile carrier support
FIXED T-Mobile WIFI calling
FIXED Locked IPV4/6 Settings
FIXED AOSP incoming call workaround not working

ViperOneM8 2.1.0 (August 16)
Merged with HTC OTA 2.22.401.5
Added new stock kernel from OTA (Only full ROM)
GPS improvements and fixes from HTC
Workaround white gap in dialer when having custom stock navbar size
Fixed Notification icon color
Added longpress power custom actions

So after reading that, would you say I'm at the equivalent of T-Mo's OTA, or T-Mo's is still better? I just hate waiting on T-Mo, esp if their OTAs are not perfect either (see Yoda's posts in this thread). Team Venom (who makes ViperOne) has told me they base their updates on T-Mobile's, but tweak them to work better with ViperOne. So I guess their's aren't pure HTC either. lol

Thank You,

RockStar2005

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

Thank You,

RockStar2005

RockStar2005