Dropped connection

Search This thread

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
This is sort-of OT from Chromecast talk but DLNA is mentioned lots.

At a relative's home which is on Comacst Xfinity. Two weeks ago while there, I'm on Android tab while another are on a Chromebook and both are losing internet connection. I'm using Chrome and I get a page reload error. WiFi shows still connected but turning it off/on fixes it. So there is me, Chromebook and a iPod running in the home.

Yesterday, same thing happens again! Later I'm casting a video from my tab using BubbleUPnP to a DLNA TV. The Chromebook is on and I'm using Chrome. I get the reload page and a bit later the video stops. Get it running again, it runs for 45 minutes, Chromebook is off, my tab is in sleep mode but minutes after the Chromebook is powered up the video stops. We gave up after that.

One might think it's a WiFi bandwidth issue, correct? The catch is at home on U-verse, my tab alone and I get the same reload page error while using Chrome. Wondering if this is a Google problem with WiFi since a Chromebook is nothing but Google Chrome like I'm using on my tab?? My tab has been on the same ROM version since last October.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I don't think the ISP is involved here at all, it's more likely that you have too many wireless devices connected at the same time for one Router to handle...

While Technically and theoretically it should handle up to 250 devices, real world experience says anything more than 7 or 8 wireless devices and you start having issues with connecting to the router and Internet access.

Thats probably not true for all routers but very true for the cheaper ones.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I don't think the ISP is involved here at all, it's more likely that you have too many wireless devices connected at the same time for one Router to handle...

While Technically and theoretically it should handle up to 250 devices, real world experience says anything more than 7 or 8 wireless devices and you start having issues with connecting to the router and Internet access.

Thats probably not true for all routers but very true for the cheaper ones.
I would agree if it weren't for the fact at home it does the same thing. Hmmm, I was going to say just one device connected but at home but the TV has a Chromecast and a WiFi adapter as well so it's three devices.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I would agree if it weren't for the fact at home it does the same thing. Hmmm, I was going to say just one device connected but at home but the TV has a Chromecast and a WiFi adapter as well so it's three devices.

Well at home your TV is probably interfering with your CCast. If possible try wiring the TV.

Also make sure to use the extension cable that came with the CCast.

Your TV has WiFi which suggests to me it is a smart tv...

Try looking to see if there are apps for it that can do what the CCast does like make it a DLNA target or has a companion app (like Plex) to do your streaming with.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Well at home your TV is probably interfering with your CCast. If possible try wiring the TV.

Also make sure to use the extension cable that came with the CCast.

Your TV has WiFi which suggests to me it is a smart tv...

Try looking to see if there are apps for it that can do what the CCast does like make it a DLNA target or has a companion app (like Plex) to do your streaming with.
No, the problem I have at home similar to what I had at the relatives home is not while casting, it's just a loss of internet connection. Turning WiFi off/on brings the connection back.

During casting via DLNA at the relative's home, it "appears" the additional use of the Chromebook caused the video to stop and the TV goes back to normal TV programming.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
No, the problem I have at home similar to what I had at the relatives home is not while casting, it's just a loss of internet connection. Turning WiFi off/on brings the connection back.

During casting via DLNA at the relative's home, it "appears" the additional use of the Chromebook caused the video to stop and the TV goes back to normal TV programming.
Check the router for WMM settings - sometimes the WMM implementation is broken.

It can also be a buggy router... I once had a Netgear that was fine for regular use, but if I tried to do a large file transfer or otherwise put load on it, it would crash and require a reboot. It didn't last in my setup for long. ;)

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Check the router for WMM settings - sometimes the WMM implementation is broken.

It can also be a buggy router... I once had a Netgear that was fine for regular use, but if I tried to do a large file transfer or otherwise put load on it, it would crash and require a reboot. It didn't last in my setup for long. ;)
No such settings in my Gateway(router).

This is the same problem in two different home, one Comcast and the other U-verse.

I'm on U-verse just watching a normal broadcast TV channel while on my tab using Chrome and it stops working. I've cast a whole movie to the Chromecast without a single stoppage, of course I'm not using Chrome at that time.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
No such settings in my Gateway(router).

This is the same problem in two different home, one Comcast and the other U-verse.

I'm on U-verse just watching a normal broadcast TV channel while on my tab using Chrome and it stops working. I've cast a whole movie to the Chromecast without a single stoppage, of course I'm not using Chrome at that time.

Sounds like your Chrome has become malicious somehow. Try starting it in Safe mode without extensions and see if it still causes problems.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Sounds like your Chrome has become malicious somehow. Try starting it in Safe mode without extensions and see if it still causes problems.
This is Chrome for Android and not the latest Beta version. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think I had this issue using Dolphin before switching. I had to force myself to use Chrome but I'm used to it now.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
This is Chrome for Android and not the latest Beta version. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think I had this issue using Dolphin before switching. I had to force myself to use Chrome but I'm used to it now.
Oh wow. I'm stumped.
Try Clear Data on it? Not much else, unless some page that's syncing over is doing some massive network test or something.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Oh wow. I'm stumped.
Try Clear Data on it? Not much else, unless some page that's syncing over is doing some massive network test or something.
Remember that the Chromebook was having a connection issue at the same time and this is in a different home, different system and different router.

Whatever turning WiFi off/on does makes it reconnect on the first try.

I think the Chrome page that come up with two options: more and reload. I turn WiFi off/on, go back, tap on reload and it loads the page.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Remember that the Chromebook was having a connection issue at the same time and this is in a different home, different system and different router.
But it's the same Google login on Chrome, right? I'm thinking that the "have your tabs on any device" might somehow be involved.
Seems Chrome is the only common thing, so it's either related to the login, or Chrome itself is busted.

If it's the latter, I'd try installing the beta (it can live alongside regular Chrome) and see ... maybe it'll play better.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
But it's the same Google login on Chrome, right? I'm thinking that the "have your tabs on any device" might somehow be involved.
Seems Chrome is the only common thing, so it's either related to the login, or Chrome itself is busted.

If it's the latter, I'd try installing the beta (it can live alongside regular Chrome) and see ... maybe it'll play better.
The Chromebook isn't mine. What's the connection between the two? Really confusing, hey?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Oh geeez.... Now I'm completely stumped.
Chromebook hates Chromecast, because c comes after b ? :confused:
There was a Chromecast there but wasn't powered as it's on another TV. Unless it was changed, it was always powered up but kids turned the TV and crack the plastic. I understand that it works loose.

I've pulled the power on my Chromecast and pulled the WiFi adapter to see if I still lose internet connection.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Oh geeez.... Now I'm completely stumped.
Chromebook hates Chromecast, because c comes after b ? :confused:
This is what I get and this time after a bit, I was able to click on the reload button to continue. It happened with no other devices on WIFi except my Android tab.

Screenshot_2014-03-25-23-03-08.png

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
This is what I get and this time after a bit, I was able to click on the reload button to continue. It happened with no other devices on WIFi except my Android tab.

View attachment 2650404

Only thing I can think of is, at least on my phone, in the Advanced WiFi settings there is an option to check for Internet connectivity. When that setting is enabled, the device tries to detect Internet via some method, and if it doesn't think there's connectivity it'll disconnect from the AP and switch to another if available or drop back to mobile network if available.

Perhaps the streaming (or something else) is interrupting the Internet detection long enough for it to think it's not connected, so it disconnects from the AP and tries to connect to something else - or just gives up.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Only thing I can think of is, at least on my phone, in the Advanced WiFi settings there is an option to check for Internet connectivity. When that setting is enabled, the device tries to detect Internet via some method, and if it doesn't think there's connectivity it'll disconnect from the AP and switch to another if available or drop back to mobile network if available.

Perhaps the streaming (or something else) is interrupting the Internet detection long enough for it to think it's not connected, so it disconnects from the AP and tries to connect to something else - or just gives up.
There's no option like that on my tab. I'll have to ask my Bro-in-Law if his Chromebook has the same issue when he is home also but I'm not sure if it's used a lot. I'm going to go back to Dolphin tonight to see if it does the same thing too.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
There's no option like that on my tab. I'll have to ask my Bro-in-Law if his Chromebook has the same issue when he is home also but I'm not sure if it's used a lot. I'm going to go back to Dolphin tonight to see if it does the same thing too.
:(
Hmm, just checked my JB 4.3 phone and the option seems to have disappeared.
I swear there was an option in the Advanced menu of Wi-Fi settings in 4.2 or 4.1.2
I'll have to check my wife's phone that's still on 4.1.2

Okay, I'm not crazy. The setting was in Advanced options of Wi-Fi settings and was called "Check for Internet service"

It might be a Samsung thing, but regardless it is gone in 4.3, but existed prior in Galaxy S3 and S4 at least...
http://www.primeinspiration.com/gad...mise-wi-fi-settings-on-samsung-galaxy-s3.html
http://www.primeinspiration.com/gad...o-use-wifi-settings-on-samsung-galaxy-s4.html

Regardless, if Chromebook doesn't have such a feature, then obviously that's not the problem. :)

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
:(
Hmm, just checked my JB 4.3 phone and the option seems to have disappeared.
I swear there was an option in the Advanced menu of Wi-Fi settings in 4.2 or 4.1.2
I'll have to check my wife's phone that's still on 4.1.2

Okay, I'm not crazy. The setting was in Advanced options of Wi-Fi settings and was called "Check for Internet service"

It might be a Samsung thing, but regardless it is gone in 4.3, but existed prior in Galaxy S3 and S4 at least...
http://www.primeinspiration.com/gad...mise-wi-fi-settings-on-samsung-galaxy-s3.html
http://www.primeinspiration.com/gad...o-use-wifi-settings-on-samsung-galaxy-s4.html

Regardless, if Chromebook doesn't have such a feature, then obviously that's not the problem. :)
I installed the Chrome Beta for Android last night but it did pass the bookmarks but password info didn't/doesn't transfer with them. I got annoyed and uninstalled it!:(

I found a app called WiFi Fixer which describes the problem exactly(WiFi stays connected but data isn't transferred) so I installed it and will give it a try tonight.