Other person's nandroid?

Search This thread

ILIVE4HEAD

Aug 10, 2014
I have found a nandroid backup that is compatible with my device. Do I flash the .zip like a custom ROM? I tried extracting the folder to TWRP/BACKUPS/*number*/ but when I go to recovery and restore, it will not see the folder. What do I do?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
TWRP expects the nandroid to be in a specific folder and the one you got probably has the incorrect device ID.
Go into TWRP > backup and make a nandroid only of your recovery.
Then go to /sdcard/TWRP/Backup and inside you should see another folder named with your phones device ID.
Open it and delete the contents.
Then copy the contents of the nandroid you want to restore into that folder.
When you go back to TWRP > Restore, it now should find the nandroid - IF that nandroid was made in a compatible TWRP version. If it was made in CWM you would have to use that recovery.
Kinda risky what you are trying to do unless you know exactly how that nandroid was created.
Better to flash a RUU, IMHO.

Reactions: ILIVE4HEAD

ILIVE4HEAD

Aug 10, 2014
You say it's risky? Would this possibly brick my phone? I don't care if it won't boot up or soft bricked after this but do you recommend doing this or not?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know....
Do you trust the source of the nandroid?
Do you know what exactly the person was running at the time?
Do you know with which recovery and version thereof it was created and if that is compatible with your recovery?
I wouldn't do it. Flash a RUU if you want to go back to stock.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
a nandroid won't brick your device ! And there are no sense ruu files ... at least no carrier branded ones. And when you download the nand and check the recovery.log you can read all info.

You think i keep a thread up that will brick devices ?

Restoring a nandroid to get back to stock is very safe !

Last edited:

Oditius

Jun 30, 2007
Chicago
Dude a nandroid won't brick your device ! And there are no sense ruu files ...

Errr, I have the RUU for the AT&T M8... I used it to restore one of my M8's to stock. When I upgraded it to the VIper 2.0 rom, the dual camera kept giving me a blocked warning. So I found the RUU for the phone and restored it to 4.4.2 Stock rom. But since I own 2 M8's I had one set up the way I like, so I just transfered the file to the second M8 and restore it to the phone. Worked like a charm. Funny how I have 2 M8's, had them both on Viper 2.1.0. One gives the dual camera warning, one doesn't. So I restore the one with the warning to stock, and the warning disappeared.. :p

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Yeah but what about people with a s-on device and a specific carrier..

Where are those ruu files ? There aren't any.....there is a very small selection of ruu files that can help a small group of people ! That's my point here. And who said he has a AT&T ..... Check my thread and check all the cid and main numbers then give me the links to the ruu files that are compatible with the nands i am hosting there.....get my point ?

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
a nandroid won't brick your device ! And there are no sense ruu files ... at least no carrier branded ones. And when you download the nand and check the recovery.log you can read all info.

Hey mate! No reason to get offended! I did not mean to question your integrity or something and much less to insult you. I did not and still do not have any idea where the OP got the nandroid from! He never referenced it! Could have been from a friend's phone created with who knows what! Could have been from God knows what shady website...
That's why I asked him: Do you trust the source?
How am I to know it's you? ;)

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Ah well i am not offended. But i don't think a nand will likely brick the phone as it doesn't flash a firmware or such....it's actually only software so it's pretty harmless and easy to recover from ;)

Oditius

Jun 30, 2007
Chicago

Where are those ruu files ? There aren't any.....there is a very small selection of ruu files that can help a small group of people ! That's my point here. And who said he has a AT&T ..... Check my thread and check all the cid and main numbers then give me the links to the ruu files that are compatible with the nands i am hosting there.....get my point ?

I am sorry for getting you mad, but I don't lie. The RUU file is here on XDA, like all the wise guys say

"Do a search"

I did, I downloaded it and installed in on my M8. ONly carrier I found was for AT&T, the OP didn't say
I wouldn't do it. Flash a RUU if you want to go back to stock.
You did. So I was letting him know there was a RUU for AT&T on XDA. He didn't mention what carrier he was with. Since that was the only RUU I found for the M8, I suggested it.

Most of the rest of you stuff makes no sense.
Where are those ruu files ? There aren't any....
Wait, didn't you just tell him to:
Flash a RUU if you want to go back to stock.
HUH :confused: You tell him to flash one in one breath, then state there is none in another. But IF he is on AT&T, I know there is one. I am not going to search for you, but if I run across it, I will drop a link maybe later.

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2757462

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8, running the ViperOne M8 ROM via Tapatalk.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Ugh....this is exactly why i want to stop posting on xda and withdraw from it completely. The main problem is that people flash things without knowing what it is....afterwards its "it didn't work" what now ? You can link a ruu and many people just execute it.

I'm not mad, i am misinterpreted.....i am making a point that's all.

Thanks and cheers. I will stop responding as it's the second time i believe you make me go off topic.

Reactions: Oditius

Oditius

Jun 30, 2007
Chicago
But flashing a nandroid backup that it's origins are unknown is like you said, unwise and could cause more problems than what it is worth. But not fatal, that I agree with. I also agree that sometimes posting here can lead to a whole lot of confusion, specially for beginners in flashing roms. Good thing about this is that this is one more area they can visit to get a link to return to stock before they return the phone for repair. So it wasn't all in vain. Sit, drink a beer (or coffee) relax and try to have a nice day.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8, running the ViperOne M8 ROM via Tapatalk.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

If that was your point, its not what you wrote:

And there are no sense ruu files ... at least no carrier branded ones.

HTC posted the RUU for AT&T quite some time ago: http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Folks here keep saying "there are no RUUs", "HTC doesn't release RUUs anymore" and its simply not correct to make these statements as being generalized for all versions and all instances; although it seems to be true for a great many versions. If anything, this device is missing a good index of OTAs, RUUs, etc. by CID.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just want to prevent any misinformation.

Last edited:

ILIVE4HEAD

Aug 10, 2014

HTC posted the RUU for AT&T quite some time ago: http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Folks here keep saying "there are no RUUs", "HTC doesn't release RUUs anymore" and its simply not correct to make these statements as being generalized for all versions and all instances; although it seems to be true for a great many versions. If anything, this device is missing a good index of OTAs, RUUs, etc. by CID.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just want to prevent any misinformation.
I haven't visited this thread in a while because my problem was resolved but i had a question. I want to accept an OTA. I'm fairly sure I know how to do this (I have a stock NAND, recovery, and i know i have to relock my bootloader) this will update my firmware to 2.22.xx.x After this is done i can re unlock my bootloader right? Also would i be able to restore one of my TWRP backups or will restoring replace my firmware with the old one that i had when the backup was made?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Restoring a full backup after an ota will replace your OS so that's not an option because you don't want to go back to your old (before ota) situation it will not replace the firmware. Only restore data ! And no need to relock the bootloader for an ota.....totally unnecessary !

Last edited:

ILIVE4HEAD

Aug 10, 2014

Restoring a full backup after an ota will replace your OS so that's not an option because you don't want to go back to your old (before ota) situation it will not replace the firmware. Only restore data ! And no need to relock the bootloader for an ota.....totally unnecessary !
Thanks for the reply! So bootloader can stay unlocked? In all the threads I checked you have to be relocked by doing "fastboot oem lock" but ok I'll take your word for it! Also you say that restoring isn't good so I'll have to stick with reflashing ROMs from scratch?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I think we are mixing things up. If you are already running the latest based roms why would you update ?

Why would you update to the 2.22 or higher base and then go back to a 1.54 based rom ?

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I think we are mixing things up. If you are already running the latest based roms why would you update ?

Why would you update to the 2.22 or higher base and then go back to a 1.54 based rom ?

lol I'm just glad to see that your name is also Bernd :good:

Seems like you're a "troll" with 2 different IDs on here :angel: :p some of these guys didn't just misquote you, but completely misidentified you! :silly:

Reactions: Mr Hofs

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
lol I'm just glad to see that your name is also Bernd :good:

Seems like you're a "troll" with 2 different IDs on here :angel: :p some of these guys didn't just misquote you, but completely misidentified you! :silly:

Haha yeah i didnt even respond to that quote error. Not worth the hassle mate :)

Reactions: BerndM14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ah well i am not offended. But i don't think a nand will likely brick the phone as it doesn't flash a firmware or such....it's actually only software so it's pretty harmless and easy to recover from ;)
    I never said that, OP asked that! :D
    But I'm glad we're square :good:
    TWRP expects the nandroid to be in a specific folder and the one you got probably has the incorrect device ID.
    Go into TWRP > backup and make a nandroid only of your recovery.
    Then go to /sdcard/TWRP/Backup and inside you should see another folder named with your phones device ID.
    Open it and delete the contents.
    Then copy the contents of the nandroid you want to restore into that folder.
    When you go back to TWRP > Restore, it now should find the nandroid - IF that nandroid was made in a compatible TWRP version. If it was made in CWM you would have to use that recovery.
    Kinda risky what you are trying to do unless you know exactly how that nandroid was created.
    Better to flash a RUU, IMHO.