Xposed - Legacy thread. Don't panic, Xposed is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

theknut

May 4, 2009
www.theknut.de
No it's not. Read the complete stack trace not just a single line of it. Furthermore keep an eye on the lines first letter. W stands for warning. No harm is done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

phisama

Jun 22, 2013
Nürnberg
Xposed not installing on Samsung GT P-5200

I've downloaded the latest version of the installer on my Galaxy Tab 3 10.1. This has stock ROM + TWRP and is rooted. When I select the apk for installation nothing happens. Is there a way to check what is going on?

Philipp

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
I've downloaded the latest version of the installer on my Galaxy Tab 3 10.1. This has stock ROM + TWRP and is rooted. When I select the apk for installation nothing happens. Is there a way to check what is going on?

Philipp

Define "nothing." Does the application fail to install? Or does the installer install correctly, but you're unable to install the framework from within the app? Can you get a logcat?

rovo89

Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2012
Er...There is a transplant version for Galaxy S2(I9100) by some others and a weekly-build version by MIUI team. You can download it here:en.miui.com/download-16.html.But now they don't sync change to weekly-build, so maybe someone will found he can't use xposed on weekly-build later, but not now.
I have a log about this bug, would you like it?:D

Yes, that might be helpful. If I understand you right, the official ROM on that page does probably not contain the incompatibility (yet)?

hi there how to fix the reboot feature?

everything is fine except when i click on 'reboot' in Framewaor, it goes to an error message >> " reboot: no such tool ".

You can just reboot the device as usual from the power menu. The next version of Xposed Installer will use a custom build of BusyBox to reboot, so this error and also a problem with some HTC phones shouldn't happen anymore.

Reactions: theknut

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Heyi! I am trying to change the text colour of hangouts at different parts of the app like the Title Text Colour in Action bar, The Chat Texts inside Message Bubbles/Balloons, etc.

I have gone through the styles.xml and found that the Action Bar text colour is referenced through @Color/xyz

So I tried replacing that color code with the help of a Colour Picker Preference.
This Colour Picker Preference works well when I try replacing a drawable with the Colour chosen but fails to work to replace the colour itself.

For replacing the drawable I use this code and it works without any problem :

Code:
resparam.res.setReplacement("com.google.android.apps.babel", "drawable", "ab_solid", new XResources.DrawableLoader() {
            @Override
            public Drawable newDrawable(XResources res, int id) throws Throwable {
            int actionbar_color = pref.getInt("choose_hangouts_actionbar_colour", 1); // This catches the colour from Colour Picker Preference.
            return new ColorDrawable(actionbar_color);
            }
            });

For Replacing the colour I did:

Code:
public static void handleInitPackageResources(final XSharedPreferences pref, InitPackageResourcesParam resparam){

int ab_text_colour = pref.getInt("ab_text_colour", 1);//Catching the chosen colour.

Code:
resparam.res.setReplacement("com.google.android.apps.babel", "color", "text_default_color_dark", modRes.fwd(ab_text_colour));
resparam.res.setReplacement("com.google.android.apps.babel", "color", "text_secondary_default_color_dark", modRes.fwd(ab_text_colour));
resparam.res.setReplacement("com.google.android.apps.babel", "color", "text_tertiary_default_color_dark", modRes.fwd(ab_text_colour));

But this does not works at all.
Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thank-you in Advance.

Any1??
Please help.

Sent From My Sony M Dual C2004

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
I figured out what was causing my XSharedPreferences problem. I was using to premake the file which did something to the file making it inaccessible somehow. I still don't know why it was doing it, but it works now. Thanks for all the help.

P.S. It's over 9000!

Sent from: SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27 / SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012

The main problem is that you are possibly forwarding a resource with ID 1 (or whatever the value of your setting is). But there is no resource with ID 1 in your module's resources. If you store the integer value for the color in this setting, simply leave out the modRes.fwd() and use the value directly as a replacement.

Reactions: arnabJ

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
The main problem is that you are possibly forwarding a resource with ID 1 (or whatever the value of your setting is). But there is no resource with ID 1 in your module's resources. If you store the integer value for the color in this setting, simply leave out the modRes.fwd() and use the value directly as a replacement.

But then how this works for drawable replacement.
The same problem would have occured there if am not wrong.

Edit : Thank-you very much @rovo89
Its working perfectly now.
Sent From My Sony M Dual C2004

Last edited:

CodeingBoy

Feb 18, 2014
GuangZhou
codeingboy.me
Yes, that might be helpful. If I understand you right, the official ROM on that page does probably not contain the incompatibility (yet)?

You can just reboot the device as usual from the power menu. The next version of Xposed Installer will use a custom build of BusyBox to reboot, so this error and also a problem with some HTC phones shouldn't happen anymore.

Maybe,I don't have a I9100 to test.Though it is the latest weekly-build, but I don't make sure of it.Someone who use I9100 said it is OK to use.
Maybe it just a bug which only cause on MI2/MI3, because many people who use them said xposed can't work on it, others seems not.
And I heard WSM is working on it...Anyway, here is the log.

CodeingBoy

Feb 18, 2014
GuangZhou
codeingboy.me

Sorry for I forgot to upload logs.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    145.7 KB · Views: 6

phisama

Jun 22, 2013
Nürnberg
Define "nothing." Does the application fail to install? Or does the installer install correctly, but you're unable to install the framework from within the app? Can you get a logcat?

Sorry for being unclear. The application fails to install. It simply seems to be busy for some time and then ends without visible result. And as I"m not that familiar with the terms (plus English is not my native tongue) , what please is a logcat?

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Sorry for being unclear. The application fails to install. It simply seems to be busy for some time and then ends without visible result. And as I"m not that familiar with the terms (plus English is not my native tongue) , what please is a logcat?
If it fails to install, you might not be running a supported Android version. Which OS version are you on?
We'd need a logcat to be sure about the reason, though. There are many tutorials around on how to take a logcat.

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012
Sorry for I forgot to upload logs.
I had a quick look at it:
Code:
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): 	at android.content.res.MiuiResources.loadOverlayDrawable(MiuiResources.java:212)
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): 	at android.content.res.Resources$Injector.createFromResourceStream(Resources.java:81)
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): 	at android.content.res.Resources.loadDrawable(Resources.java:1966)

Not sure what exactly they have changed, maybe it is simple to fix. Do you happen to have the framework*.jar (+odex if applicable) of the last working version AND the this version or a link where I could download these ROMs to extract it myself?

Anybody have issues using OpenVPN https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn with Xposed Installed ??
I can't connect and logcat show like OpenVPN program detects xposed framework.

02-21 10:08:58.721 E/VpnConfirm(20698): at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.main(XposedBridge.java:126)

Regards.

This line just says that Xposed is installed, nothing else. You will find it in any stack trace because it's at the entry point of the Android system. You can easily test if Xposed has something to do with it by uninstalling Xposed temporarily.

chavocarlos

Mar 6, 2011
Guayaquil
I had a quick look at it:
Code:
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): at android.content.res.MiuiResources.loadOverlayDrawable(MiuiResources.java:212)
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): at android.content.res.Resources$Injector.createFromResourceStream(Resources.java:81)
02-19 20:08:50.988: W/Zygote(5264): at android.content.res.Resources.loadDrawable(Resources.java:1966)

Not sure what exactly they have changed, maybe it is simple to fix. Do you happen to have the framework*.jar (+odex if applicable) of the last working version AND the this version or a link where I could download these ROMs to extract it myself?

This line just says that Xposed is installed, nothing else. You will find it in any stack trace because it's at the entry point of the Android system. You can easily test if Xposed has something to do with it by uninstalling Xposed temporarily.

Yes, I did it, and then works. Install again and stop working.

Regards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012
FYI, I will participate in a Reddit AMA ("Ask Me Anything") this Friday (Feb 21) at 19:00 CET (other timezones here).

I'm new to Reddit, so I'm not sure yet what kind of questions I will get. We will see. ;) If you have a question as well, feel free to join.

Just to set expectations right (and even though it's called AMA):
I will NOT answer support "questions" in this session, they should be asked here (for the framework/installer) or in the module threads.
I will NOT (and cannot) answer questions about specific modules.
I will NOT answer module requests and probably I cannot say whether high-level feature XYZ can be implemented with Xposed - that's only possible after a time-consuming technical analysis.

As a reminder, I'm now answering questions on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1yjxa6/i_am_the_developer_of_xposed_ama/

dexxa05

May 5, 2007
Metz
Hi @rovo89,

People like me with MTK6592 have some issues with Xposed Framework when we installed it we have a bootloop, what we can do to help you to solve this issues?!

Thx in advance

Regards
Dexx

Reactions: Cifu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xposed 2.4 beta1/beta2

This is Xposed version 2.4 beta1. The main new features and fixes in this version are:
    • Support for Android 4.4 (KitKat)
    • Significant performance improvements of the framework
    • Viewer for the debug.log in the installer
    • Check in the installer whether Xposed is actually active and working

First of all, I would like to thank the 45 people who donated to get me a Nexus 5, from a little "thanks" to huge amounts of money. I was really impressed and hope you like this update.

In detail:
    Xposed should now fully support KitKat. As mentioned, that wouldn't have been possible at this time without your support.
    Modules should continue to work if they don't rely on AOSP internals that have changed in KitKat. One example: It seems that the battery icon is no longer an (animated) image, but a Java implementation. Obviously, any modules that try to replace the battery image will no longer work. The Xposed framework can't do anything here, the module needs to be rewritten. Therefore, if some of your modules don't work, please get in contact with the module author first. You will probably see an error in the new debug.log viewer in this case.
    Xposed isn't compatible with ART, I can't say yet whether it will be in the future (will require a major rewrite if possible at all). As you would get into a bootloop if you try to combine Xposed+ART, Xposed automatically resets the choice to "Dalvik". If you want to test ART, you must uninstall the framework.

The performance improvements apply to the very core of Xposed, the method hooks, in all Android versions. In a test app developed by @exidler, the overhead per call used to be ~71 μs (= 0.071 ms) per call to a hooked method (with one empty callback handler) on my Galaxy S2. Now it's ~13 μs (= 0.013 ms). That's a relative improvement of factor ~5.5x. Thanks to @exidler for the research and several suggestions! I have sent a pre-beta to @kamso, who had reported lags with older versions. Now everything works fine for him. Anyway, I wouldn't say that Xposed had bad performance before. Keep in mind that we are talking about significantly less than a millisecond here.

The debug.log viewer should give a quick impression whether Xposed and modules could be loaded fine. It also includes options to save the log to SD card (so it's easier to transfer it to a PC etc.) and send it via mail.

The Xposed Installer now checks whether the latest version of the framework is active. If not (e.g. because it's not installed yet, you forgot to reboot or something in Xposed doesn't work), you will see a warning in the welcome screen and at the top of the module list.

Finally, there were some other minor improvements and fixes and new/updated translations.

Developers:
    As a reminder, please keep the debug.log clean. It's only helpful if it's not as spammed as logcat. You should only use XposedBridge.log() for error messages and other unexpected situations. If everything runs fine, it shouldn't write anything to the log. If you really need to keep some logging in published builds, please use either logcat or make it an opt-in options (i.e. disabled by default and the user enables it if he runs into problems).

Apart from that, there was a little API change: https://github.com/rovo89/XposedBridge/commit/3c18f6f6bd4e0ec57898b3b3a79b5584d0396054
    I assume that very few modules use the "extra" field to transfer information between beforeHookedMethod() and afterHookedMethod(). If you do, simply replace it by getExtra().

Layout inflation hooks now also work if the layout has been included in other layouts. That's actually a pretty tricky use-case for the "extra" parameter mentioned about (and other tricky technologies).

If for some reason you need to determine the active XposedBridge version in your module, you can use XposedBridge.XPOSED_BRIDGE_VERSION.

findMethodBestMatch() now also looks for protected and package-private methods in superclasses. That's mainly useful if you use the callMethod() or callStaticMethod() helper.

UPDATE: (beta2)
    The new beta should fix the "read-only filesystem" errors. If you used to experience them, please try this version. Otherwise, there is no need (and no advantage) to update.

UPDATE:
    The final version is out, please use it instead (see first post / in-app installer).
    The ART of patience

Regarding ART possibly becoming the default runtime engine: I think that's good news because it means that we will get a stable version of ART then. I'm reluctant to work further on ART support at the moment for mainly three reasons:

1. Time. I used to spend every evening and every weekend for Xposed, either to give support here (often answering the same questions again and again), writing code or researching about bugs or new ideas. As you may have noticed, there are now days or even weeks where I don't even log on to XDA, and I'm actually glad about this.

2. Experimental software is bound to contain bugs, even severe ones. There is a reason why Google didn't make this choice available for the typical user (and keep in mind, we are not typical users). I neither want people to blame Xposed if their phone starts acting up nor do I want to hunt bugs which are caused by a runtime engine that is explicitely labelled as not finished yet.

3. As long as ART is experimental, it's much easier to make big changes to the code. Once a final version is out and used by the masses, quality engineers we be much more careful not to break things. That means that Xposed for ART on 4.5 (or whatever it will be called) might need to be completely different than for ART on 4.4. More variants means more time for maintenance. And I don't feel like pushing something out now just to drop support again in a later version. There is not enough benefit of using ART at the moment to justify that.

You know, I had already worked on ART support and spent several dozens of hours reading the code, looking for ways to hijack it, implementing my ideas, doing trial and error and starting again from the beginning. I finally had my Nexus 5 boot with Xposed in early December and quickly tested the App Settings module. I'm happy about that, but I also know that this was just a very experimental version, less ready than ART itself. It is totally hacked together and only tested with the stock ROM. ART is quite complex and has several different modes. It's not worth giving the current development to someone else before I have tested these things on my phone, where I can debug much better than instructing someone else to do it. It also requires rewriting app_process to be a light executable again, which loads either the Dalvik or ART Xposed library, depending on your settings. That would require changes in the installer as well, etc. etc.

So you see, there is still lots of work to do. At the moment, I'm not actively working on it, but trying to get some other things fixed (e.g. LG ROMs) or improved (installation via recovery, better installation feedback in case root access failed, static Busybox package). And as I said, I do have other things in my life as well. It's not about money, that's what I have my full-time job for. I work on Xposed for fun (and maybe a bit for the reputation ;)), so the best way to ensure that I keep on working on it is not taking away the fun part of it. Don't pressure me like it was my duty to implement something ASAP (!!!), be patient even if it takes a bit longer until I answer and join the volunteers who help answering basic questions here so I don't have to. Thanks!
    General information on Xposed has been moved to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/xposed-installer-versions-changelog-t2714053
    The FAQ has been moved to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/-t2735540
    Questions, suggestions, bug reports and so on can be posted in the Xposed General forum (for the installer/framework/development only) and in the Xposed Framework modules forum (for anything module-related).
    Xposed Framework Installer (Flashable Zip)

Announcement: Xposed Framework v2.5+ comes with an option to flash its own install zip via recovery, making my package obsolete. I'll leave them up for posterity; could be useful should the need arise for downgrading on some devices. Cheers all! 10000 downloads is pretty cool. :)

Xposed Framework v2.2+ has fixed JB4.3 installation and v2.4+ has added support for KK4.4, but for those that still want it, or cannot install via the APK due to /system write protection like HTC's S-ON, here is an updated zip frontend method for installing the framework; now for Xposed Framework v2.4.1.

You MUST have the Xposed Installer APK installed FIRST. The zip will detect if you do not and stop.

Flash this in recovery and my frontend script (the update-binary) will detect the correct architecture and SDK version to use the appropriate Xposed app_process and busybox builds (x86, armv5, v6 and v7 & sdk 15 and 16+ supported), and should detect the uid of the Xposed Installer APK on-the-fly and set up the required files with it.

It leaves a log behind in /data/local/tmp/xposed-log.txt either way with more details about how it went. :cool:

It also unpacks Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip to /sdcard/ (or /sdcard/0/ if it exists) to be as close to the APK install method as possible. For those wanting another method to reactivate after a ROM update or toggle Xposed disabled/enabled, @amishxda has also created a cool "Xposed toggler" zip here.

Note: Xposed Framework files and the install.sh used are the work of @rovo89 and @Tungstwenty; I have only created a recovery flashable zip to function as an alternative frontend for the framework installation process. I take no credit for their fantastic work.

P.S. If you found this handy then please check out my Odds and Ends thread for more flashable goodness. :D

5351 downloads of v2.1.4 when removed. 1049 downloads of v2.2 when removed.
    Xposed 2.5 final

This is Xposed version 2.5 (final). The main new features and fixes in this version are:
    • Rewritten framework installation/uninstallation
      • Uses interactive su (via libsuperuser) to provide improved compatibility with different Superuser apps
      • Better feedback when root access fails (doesn't freeze the app anymore)
      • Offers installation via custom recovery (CWM/TWRP), either flashing the file automatically or manually
    • Safemode to disable Xposed with hardware keys to get out of (most) bootloops
    • Compatibility with Sony/LG ROMs (4.3 and 4.4), Meizu ROMs (4.4)
    • Debug setting to disable resource hooking as a temporary workaround for incompatibilities with some theming engines (not all modules can be used in this mode)
    There are also other improvements and fixes, especially many translations updates.
    In case you get a message "Segmentation fault" during installation, you can now download an additional app which provides statically compiled versions of BusyBox (a lot bigger, but should work with every ROM). It's not needed otherwise.

Quick explanation of the safemode: It was developed by @Tungstwenty and makes it possible to disable Xposed by repeatedly pressing one of the hardware buttons during early startup. The phone will vibrate twice when the first key press has been detected. Then you have five seconds to press the same button four more times. Each key press will be confirmed with a short vibration; the final one with a long vibration. It creates /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which prevents most of Xposed's actions (e.g. no hooks are made and no modules are loaded). There's no 100% guarantee that this will get you out of a bootloop, but in most cases it should.

As always, you can download it via the in-app updater or from http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk.