[DISCONTINUED][Kernel][CM7/MIUI] Platypus (6/27) Voodoo, OC/UV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

simple man

Dec 25, 2010
Missouri
Just flashed Neo 17 v9... and it's running great. I used ROM Manager Premium to enque ultimate kernel cleaning script, Neo 17 v9, and screenstate_scaling script_49.....then proceed and Rom Manager flashed all three .zips for me....in the prescribed sequence... one after another..... slicker than snot! I've used this procedure two times now and it works flawlessly. :)

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

Fate-Silver

Mar 7, 2011
Hey, Zach. Great job.
But, then, is the LED Notifications that caused the Haptic Keys to be malfunctioned got fixed? :confused:

Akitohk

Apr 4, 2009
Hey what theme are you using that uses the gingerbread icons in the status bar?

it's default theme from CM7;)

Hi Akitohk,

you also get those issues (non-smooth color transitions & other issues related to colors being displayed)

also with the stock-color version fo the Neo kernel ?

soon there again will be another kernel with stock-colors so that hopefully should display colors like on the cm7 stock kernel
with stock-color ver. of NEO kernel the color transitions just fine:)

zerkai

May 15, 2010
Seattle
Hey, Zach. Great job.
But, then, is the LED Notifications that caused the Haptic Keys to be malfunctioned got fixed? :confused:

Seems to be fixed.

But I'm still having the rainbow screen bug when unlocking the screen, only happens when Screen On Animation is on. You then would have to press the power button 3 times to get the screen to display correctly. I guess no one else uses this animation?

Fate-Silver

Mar 7, 2011
Seems to be fixed.

But I'm still having the rainbow screen bug when unlocking the screen, only happens when Screen On Animation is on. You then would have to press the power button 3 times to get the screen to display correctly. I guess no one else uses this animation?

Actually, the SCREEN ON ANIMATION is my favourite. LOL.
But, I don't face the problem you encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first: I am not the developer of this. I am just managing this thread for zacharias.maladroit, and he deserves all credit for this.

Okay, now on to the awesomeness...

PLATYPUS KERNEL
    For CM7/MIUI on the Samsung Captivate.

NEO series

i9000 kernel thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=980495. Go here for more advanced information.

NOTE: ONLY FOR NIGHTLY 15 AND UP.

Features:

- optimized memcopy & memmove (for more performance & smoother operation)
    - governors included: optimized smartass (thanks Tk-Glitch + source !), tweaked SavagedZen (thanks to arescode !), ondemand, tweaked conservative, interactive (tweaked for less power consumption), interactiveX
    - SFB stochastic fair blue network scheduler (included since 2.6.39 linux-kernel)
    - raised FPS screen timings cap
    - unlikely-likely fixes (more efficiency in scheduling)
    - voodoo color V2
    - voodoo sound V9

- Docksound support
    - writeback fixes (work in progress)
    - ck-patches
    - fixes for longer battery runtime (testing still)

- VFS changes & fixes
    - VM & changes & fixes
    -> less lags & more efficiency

- SLQB slob scheduler
    - OC-UV (OC until 1.3 GHz) implementation by kang (bilboa1), morfic & TheEscapist
    - nofail variants of kmalloc kcalloc kzalloc (less trouble, looping & more saved CPU cycles)

Installation:
    * make sure you have auto-rotation enabled with previous kernel
    * boot into CWM Recovery
    * apply update.zip
    * Wipe /cache & Dalvik Cache
    * "reboot system"
    * give it some time to boot

Other method to remove voltage settings:
    Boot into recovery and do:

adb shell rm /system/etc/init.d/S_volt_scheduler

You need to do it twice.
    You can also delete the file using a file explorer. This method also works for init scripts. Included init scripts can be removed if you want.

Use Voltage Control for OC/UV. Download here.

DOWNLOADS:

NEO 10 (All kernels)

Older versions:

NEO-06 CM7
    NEO-06 MIUI

KERNEL (NEO-03 CM7)
    KERNEL (NEO-03 MIUI)

KERNEL (NEO-02)

5/22:
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1359&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1023732%26page%3D44&v=1&libid=1306106650178&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ponack.net%2Fzachariasm%2Ftesting%2Fquorra_base%2Fquorra_pre-r11%2FCAPPY%2FCM7_CAPPYMTD_platypus-kernel_20110522_r0_quorra-prer11_test4-r2.zip&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1023732%26page%3D45&title=%5BKernel%5D%5BCM7%2FMIUI%5D%20Platypus%20(5%2F18)%20Voodoo%2C%20OC%2FUV%2C%20LED%20notification%20-%20Page%2044%20-%20xda-developers&txt=CM7_CAPPYMTD_platypus-kernel_20110522_r0_quorra-prer11_test4%3Cfont%20color%3D%22Red%22%3E-r2%3C%2Ffont%3E.zip

Scripts for different governors here. EXPERIMENTAL! MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
    For VPN Users
    For those getting bootloops
    This will be the last kernel for some time since I need to take care of personal things

I will still continue development on the Talon/Platypus Kernels in the background but will

keep a "small footprint" on XDA and phone-related stuff

All what you post will be read but I most likely will only answer what not already has been asked and e.g. some troubleshooting, etc.

Thanks for your understanding

(I'll answer your question posted later when I find time)
    I really hope you guys also have the new RIL on MIUI (MCG v6+ has it on the SGS) otherwise it won't work ...

Kernel

CM7 & MIUI only

NEO 07

before you ask for any ETAs:

The first rule of CyanogenMod [and this project]: DO NOT ASK FOR AN ETA!

Changelog (from NEO_06):

characteristics:
    - conservative governor (screen: on & off)
    - touchkey timeout (no led-notifcation) | led-notification (2nd kernel)
    - some more battery savings & speed-ups
    - OC up to 1.6 GHz (but it seems the power-saving measures don't let it scale up performance correctly - so max frequency recommended is 1.4 GHz)
    - 339 MB (that's nearly 340 MB of RAM !)
    - Juwe11's OOM killer settings
    - tweaked memory settings & stuff (too much to remember what all was changed)
    - disabled logcat & printk output [thanks to existz for ideas !] -> battery savings & less overhead
    - some voodoo color improvements [thanks to nikademus !]
    - 2011.03 toolchain + aggressive flags :D [thanks to hardcore for help !]
    - some more tweaks to ondemand governor

- known to work on nightly #24 + #25 (SGS numbering scheme)

speed + battery savings + stability == profit !

testing/need feedback:
    - stability / reboots [it uses some new optimization-flags so I need to know if those affect stability]
    - any regressions with games, apps, etc. ? [none known so far]

Troubleshooting and other stuff:

other governors:

Love the kernel base, hate forced conservative. How can I change it to glitch/your old behaviour? Just change screenscalling script? (where woul i go to find the old one, as its obviously deleted now)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14676468&postcount=1127

it's not really "forced"

if you take the older additional scripts into account it was "forced smartass", "forced ondemand", etc. ^^

just change the awake_governor like Cloudstripe wrote

in S98screenstate_scaling in the kernel-package (system/etc/init.d/)

and re-install the kernel

then you should have smartass governor

on battery draining / battery efficiency tweaks:

if battery is draining faster compared to NEO_06 or previous kernels:
    - it might be due to new flags
    or
    - due to a setting I disabled (for testing)

Code:
    adb shell setprop pm.sleep_mode 0

and

Code:
    adb shell getprop pm.sleep_mode

should get you

or simply

change

#setprop pm.sleep_mode 0;

to

setprop pm.sleep_mode 0;

then re-install the kernel

Mirrors:

Mirror #1:
    (this post)

Mirror #2:

NEO_07/CAPTIVATE/

(thanks as usual to Roland for hosting ! :) )

edit:

Ooops and another mistake: :eek:

(I shouldn't bake kernels when taking a short break from studying :p)

the kernel without led-notifications was compiled with the flags used on the SGS / i9000

the kernel with led-notifications with the flags that hardcore uses (level 3 optimization) [should be the same like without led-notifications but apparently changes didn't got applied]

if you use the kernel with led-notifications and run into any issues different from the without led-notification (you can tell from the feedback + posts) please let me know

stability shouldn't be impaired

thanks !

edit2:

uploaded kernel + led-notification with correct flags

if you feel like it - you could try out both kernels with led-notifications and see which works better for you + leave your feedback here

thanks !
    changelog

changelog (Neo 10):
    - [probably] some more battery savings & speed-ups
    - (complete ?) update/backport of the updated pl330 dma driver from samsung GB source [(probably) more performance, less power consumption]
    - shorter kernel-package name on user demand (due to readability issues in CWM recovery)

NEW:
    - bluetooth HID driver port from Samsung GB source (how to use this functionality ? probably less battery consumption - the more correct/complete drivers included - the more stuff can be sent to powersave)

- synced with upstream: 7.1.0-RC1 / nightly #40 (SGS numbering scheme)
    - upstream additions: Hack a mute/unmute for Vibrant
    - upstream: another variant of sleep/hang of death (probably also resolved)

- wifi + data networking issues resolved

Changelog (from NEO_06):

characteristics:
    - conservative governor (screen: on & off)
    - touchkey timeout (no led-notifcation) | led-notification (2nd kernel)
    - some more battery savings & speed-ups
    - OC up to 1.6 GHz (but it seems the power-saving measures don't let it scale up performance correctly - so max frequency recommended is 1.4 GHz)
    - 339 MB (that's nearly 340 MB of RAM !)
    - Juwe11's OOM killer settings
    - tweaked memory settings & stuff (too much to remember what all was changed)
    - disabled logcat & printk output [thanks to existz for ideas !] -> battery savings & less overhead
    - some voodoo color improvements [thanks to nikademus !]
    - 2011.03 toolchain + aggressive flags [thanks to hardcore for help !]
    - some more tweaks to ondemand governor

- known to work on nightly #24 + #25 (SGS numbering scheme)

Changelog (from NEO_03):

- fugumod security hardening re-added
    - optimized memcopy & memmove for maximal efficiency & speed
    - optimized for size (less cache-misses & leaner and [perhaps] faster system)
    - optimized for NEON-usage
    - conservative-governor ONLY (one governor to rule them all) - battery consumption + performance == win + win
    - FIQ-console disabled (probably less overhead + battery savings)
    - LED notifications disabled - only LED light timeout enabled (battery savings)
    - printk time-stamps disabled (probably less overhead + battery savings)
    - fixed HD Video recording + mic recordings (sound works again)
    - "old" OC-UV-implementation OC until 1.3 GHz
    - re-added Nick Piggin's inode integrity patches (2 of them) - (more stability & perhaps some saved cpu cycles -> battery)
    - re-added several of the previously not included patches from quorra kernel-base

Changelog (from NEO_02):

- removed memcopy&memmove (let's see whether this improves stability & any in-call reboots)
    - tweaked smartass & SavagedZen governor
    - added downscale fixes from SGSII (thanks to kang/bilboa1 & Tk-Glitch !)
    - some small fixes to pl330 (updated to Samsung's SGS driver) & cpuidle stuff
    - some minor fixes & improvements

- memory mapping fix for HD video recording (no more FC when camera app is switched to camera / HD recording) [some commit in my repo seems to set wrong memory mapping which breaks HD recording ]
    - [upstream] larger radio partition ---> with newer Nightlys - need system change (thanks coolya !)
    - [upstream] some mic & headphone fixes (thanks atinm !)
    - Memory available: 339 / 340 MB
    - switched to Tk-Glitch's OC/UV implementation [up to 1.6 GHz] (seems to be more stable, lower UV & higher OC) (thanks Tk-Glitch ! )
    - re-add: bluetooth l2cap powersave mode

- conservative smartass tweaks (if you want old behavior back please flash the smartass script for NEO_02)

Neo-02:
    - new kernel base (teamhacksung / upstream vanilla source)
    - stock toolchain (for now - all other toolchains lead to kernel panic)

(from quorra r10)

- Voodoo Sound v9
    - old bluetooth settings (provided I didn't forget anything)
    - less aggressive conservative governor (when screen is off - 15% steps instead of 50%)

- re-added BNEP & HIDP bluetooth support
    - reverted new optimization flags
    - changes in cpu scheduler settings to behave better [need feedback]

- compiled in the iptables modules INTO THE KERNEL (module loading has issues ?)
    - reverted new optimization flags re-added them: need testing for call drops & any instabilities
    - [upstream] gpio fixes & cleanups (potential additional battery drain fixes) [thanks codeworkx !]

- changes in cpu scheduler settings to behave better [need feedback] seems like this leads to reboots while calling again for some of you - disabling it should fix it - please test & report

- (re-added) changes in cpu scheduler settings to behave better [need feedback, no reboots here] (false positive report of reboots)
    - new conservative governor thresholds & sampling rate for while screen is off [need feedback]
    - mlock [pt1/2] fix from newer kernels: this should reduce some lags significantly during heavy i/o and/or wakeup
    - complete optimization flags for the kernel (add them to AFLAGS, too)
    - Nick Piggin inode integrity fixes (2 of those: fsync race fix, barrier fix) [data safety & hangs during write]
    - undo disabling of Bluetooth power_save feature; added bt_power, fix that mode & fix a compilation issue with it (potential additional power savings during Bluetooth usage)
    - [testing] support for Apple Wireless keyboard & other wireless stuff

- [upstream] migration to MTD layout & upstream CM7 handling (thanks to atinm & koush !)
    - [upstream] s3cfb fix: no issues with screen output anymore before lock & unlock (thanks codeworkx !) [afaik RIL Polling still needs to be resolved]
    - [upstream] headset cleanup
    - [upstream] settings for stock headset, fixes skipping music
    - [upstream + changes] disable PMEM for SGS, Cappy & Vibrant
    - [upstream] samsung_modemctl: add aries modemctl (thanks to coolya !)
    - add nofail variants of kmalloc kcalloc kzalloc (less drama & looping with filesystems - so (potentially) more battery savings & saved cpu cycles)
    - add an improved memcopy & memmove implementation for more speed & performance (testing)
    - much changes in screenstate_scaling script:

(from quorra r9)

- enabled support for [external] SD-card suspend (battery savings) - make sure you don't have files on external SD in use when you use it for longer periods and want to save some additional energy
    - additional optimization flags for improved overall speed & NEON (multimedia) usage (tested on fascinate & Nexus S - so should be somewhat stable & proven)
    - several small fixes & adjustments in the config
    - re-enabled kernel error messages for better bug diagnosis & troubleshooting [practically no overhead]
    - iptables - built as modules; full iptables support for ipv4 & ipv6 now
    - [EXPERIMENTAL] higher charging temperatures (values from GB Samsung source + lower low recovery settings) [especially useful in warmer regions & the summer]
    - [testing] add support for Apple Wireless keyboard and other wireless stuff
    - enabled more BT options & settings
    - CFS scheduler fix with load weight calculation (potentially fixing issues & allowing to safe more battery juice)

- [upstream] some fixes for initial installation (not applicable here since not used for initial kernel installation)

(from quorra r8)

- kernel comes pre-packaged with smartass governor
    - [EXPERIMENTAL] - make an nandroid backup before testing & using: for switching to other governor (while screen is on - screen off = conservative) apply additional "screenstate_scaling switcher" script

# see attachments#, # additional scripts# <-- *Link* inside

- added interactiveX cpufreq governor from leanKernel-tbolt/imoseyon (adds sleep & wake code) - (probably) better (less) battery usage than conventional interactive governor [need feedback]
    - tweaked interactive governor to scale down to lower frequencies faster (less battery usage & still very smooth)
    - fixed & tweaked SavagedZen [*very* laggy - for those battery runtime fetishists ^^] [needs more testing & feedback]

- [upstream] wifi driver now supports channel 12, 13 and 14 again (thanks to atinm !)
    - [upstream] added recovery 2e checks for initial update
    - [upstream] accurate battery gauge display (thanks to atinm !)
    - [upstream] improvements in recovery-handling with the /cache partition (thanks codeworkx !)

- [upstream] some fixes & improvements for recovery (e.g. creating missing devicenodes)

[additions since 04/27/2011] (release name: "Alice" ; (Semi-Testing/Stable)
    * working capacitive keys again (reverted one upstream commit for now) [Captivate only]
    * Voodoo Sound v8
    * SavagedZen cpufreq governor [option]
    * further changes & tweaks to the conservative governor
    * untick 600 + 200 MHz in Xan's VoltageControl for better performance and les
    * added cm7 gb sammy source, along with some from other broken releases

[additions since 04/18/2011] (release name: "Core"; most likely Stable)
    * more reliable auto-rotation and sensors (check it's on; if not working: 1st boot: power button press 10+ seconds -> forced reboot/hard reset) [still testing & evaluating]; should work now
    * CONFIG_HZ @250 USER_HZ @150 (like "rocketeer")
    * feature-complete (like "antlion") [still looking for more fixes & improvements ]
    * added [testing] new CPU powermode tweak to fully power off to save more energy when idle and significantly prolong battery runtime
    * fixed an instability during power suspend cpu frequency
    * removed too aggressive optimization flags; using basic optimization with Level 2
    * removed fstack-protector and enhanced hardening features in kernel code (potentially led to instability, reboots, etc.)
    * added again low latency features
    * added support for bml_over_mtd this should take care of bad blocks during flash

* added tweaked CFS scheduler settings to have less lags at the cost of performance (who needs benchmark results anyway ? )

[additions since 04/13/2011] (release name: Antlion; Stable - )
    * working external SD card access & usb tethering
    * working auto-rotation and sensors (check it's on; if not working: 1st boot: power button press 10+ seconds -> forced reboot/hard reset)
    * CONFIG_HZ @250 USER_HZ @150 (like "rocketeer")
    * (almost) feature-complete (like "rocketeer")
    * added ported new bcm4329 (WIFI) drivers from intersectRaven's 2.6.37.6 kernel - kudos to him (supposedly less battery consumption)
    * better reception quality (less noise) with new WIFI drivers

[additions since 04/06/2011]
    * hung task timeout commented out (in my script)
    * limits for system v ipc semaphores, max number of system-wide threads running commented out (in my script)
    * limit for maximum number of system-wide system v ipc message queue identifiers commented out (in my script)
    * optimization for sqlite database files (potential speedup of system and apps using sqlite)
    * zram disabled (for now) - it breaks the browser (reboot) and other stuff [still available as option]
    * optimized conservative & ondemand governors - conservative is recommended
    * rewrote init-scripts to minimize delays & lags during switching screen on-off - less lags & delays
    * [upstream] fixed bug with arm and delays during cpufreq switching
    [additions since 04/06/2011]
    * hung task timeout commented out (in my script)
    * limits for system v ipc semaphores, max number of system-wide threads running commented out (in my script)
    * limit for maximum number of system-wide system v ipc message queue identifiers commented out (in my script)
    * optimization for sqlite database files (potential speedup of system and apps using sqlite)
    * zram disabled (for now) - it breaks the browser (reboot) and other stuff [still available as option]
    * optimized conservative & ondemand governors - conservative is recommended
    * rewrote init-scripts to minimize delays & lags during switching screen on-off - less lags & delays
    * [upstream] fixed bug with arm and delays during cpufreq switching

10char
    NEO 06 for MIUI

you get 2 times 2 flavors

the kernels with "old-radio-pa" (old radio partitioning) are for older MIUI builds

the kernels with "new-radio-pa" (new radio partitioning) are for newer MIUI builds when you migrated from newer CM7 buids (where applicable)

- LED-notification enabled
    * new radio partitioning (when you come from newer CM7 nightlies ---> only flash new radio/modem zips)

* old radio partitioning for older MIUI builds prior to the modem partitioning change (to take care of bad blocks in the radio-partition)

- LED-notification kept off
    * new radio partitioning (when you come from newer CM7 nightlies ---> only flash new radio/modem zips)

* old radio partitioning for older MIUI builds prior to the modem partitioning change (to take care of bad blocks in the radio-partition)