[Q] HTC Wildfire + Radio image question

Search This thread

inaxeon

Feb 15, 2011
London
This is the "Latin-american" Wildfire it is called Desire A (but we know it's a wildfire...) Here is the translated link so you can check it out http://translate.google.com/transla...la/product/htc-desire-a/overview.html&act=url

juanchotolas: What is the model number of the phone (probably printed under the battery, and also in the about phone menu) Might be something like A3334? If possible could you post some information on here about where to purchase this phone? From looking at that HTC page it almost looks like this model may be available unbranded? (Unlike the A3335). There may well be a number of people from the Canada/US who'd buy one of these for use on AT&T/Rogers/Telus etc, if only they knew how to! Currently the only useful Googe result for "Wildfire 850/1900" is this thread!

Last edited:

juanchotolas

Oct 29, 2010
Blimey. I had to see it to believe it.

"Desire A" ?! wtf! Obfuscating the name of it is a strong indicator that there's some vested interest that doesn't want people finding out about this phone. Try googling for this thing, it's damn near impossible to find because all the results are buried deep under pages relating to the European higher-end Desire A8181 with the letter 'A' somewhere on the page. Fantastic.

juanchotolas: What is the model number of the phone (probably printed under the battery, and also in the about phone menu) Might be something like A3334? If possible could you post some information on here about where to purchase this phone? From looking at that HTC page it almost looks like this model may be available unbranded? (Unlike the A3335). There may well be a number of people from the Canada/US who'd buy one of these for use on AT&T/Rogers/Telus etc, if only they knew how to! Currently the only useful Googe result for "Wildfire 850/1900" is this thread!

I bought my phone with "Iusacell" (a mexican carrier) it wasn't unbranded, the model under settings > about is displayed as "Desire A", Under the battery only the S/N, IMEI and P/N are printed,so no more info about this ,I'm gonna try to find where to buy it without a contract so keep checking this thread! Anyway, if I can do anything to help just ask me.

C4NCER

Nov 16, 2010
Im in sydney at the moment but moving to nz in a few weeks. i've used a wwe rru on my telstra wildfire.

what was the final conclusion on the radio? is it the same as the wwe ones or not?

inaxeon

Feb 15, 2011
London
Just a marketing ploy by HTC sold in Mexico.

Surely no marketing department in the world would be sillly enough to name a product which can't be found with a quick Google search. Surely...

That and, why isn't this for sale in the US/Canada, where they would be able to sell 5-10 times more of them? Seems a bit suspect to me.

Last edited:

inaxeon

Feb 15, 2011
London
Im in sydney at the moment but moving to nz in a few weeks. i've used a wwe rru on my telstra wildfire.

what was the final conclusion on the radio? is it the same as the wwe ones or not?

Nothing that couldn't be determined by reading this whole thread! If you've got a special model, leave the radio alone, which means no flashing RUU's.

inaxeon

Feb 15, 2011
London
If anyone was feeling keen they could try flashing this unbranded RUU on an A3335:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Buz...45.55.24_3.35.15.31_release_142189_signed.exe

While it's not the latest, It has the exact same radio version number as the Telstra RUU and according to Kwen, an identical checksum.

Could be the best possible to fully debrand an A3335? Would have been an interesting experiment if I had another fresh one to play with. If anyone tried it and it went wrong, you can always restore the original radio with the instructions I posted.

juanchotolas

Oct 29, 2010
Desire A

Updates about the "Htc Mexican Wildfire... cough cough I mean erm... the Desire A... It is sold for about $495 usd so I think that it would be a stupid decision for anyone to try to buy one, the only carrier that sells it is Iusacell and the latin american htc website doesn't even display them as an authorized dealer.
I did the stupid mistake of flashing the SUnAaBh rom without deleting the radio but it still works.
Anyway, if anyone is interested to buy one, or more details about it I'd be happy to help you!

Last edited:

ivyvisors

Dec 28, 2010
Melbourne
carnagevisors.net
Thanks for this, I wanted to S-OFF the wildfire so updated it to the latest telstra rom, then followed a process to downgrade the hboot to a certain version so revolutionary would work, unfortunately this also changed the radio version.

Thanks again

~Ivy
VK3IVY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so it looks like I just became the "expert" on this one and can now answer my own question.

It is possible to restore the original Telstra radio image, without rebranding the phone using the Telstra RUU.

This is what I did:

1) Download Telstra RUU from shipped-roms
    2) Extract radio.img using this process: http://lukasz.szmit.eu/2010/04/extracting-rom-files-from-htc-android.html
    3) Repacked radio.img into an update.zip
    4) Signed update.zip using http://android.modaco.com/content/software/313829/pc-tool-zip-signer-v1-1/#entry1348449
    5) Manually added com/google/android directory into META-INF directory in ZIP file (Copied from someone else's radio image.
    6) Flashed image using clockworkmod "update sdcard" menu (unrevoked had already installed clockworkmod)

Done! I've got my 850MHz back again!

I've included the update.zip with the Telstra wildfire radio image here: http://xpander.inaxeon.com/data/files/update.zip

It's interesting looking around the various forums, I think a lot of people have been willy nilly flashing the wrong radios onto their special 850MHz devices then not fully understanding why their phones are without 3G coverage a lot of the time. Oops!