[WIP] Unlocking Note 2 modem for GSM/AWS

Search This thread

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
This is NOT in relation to changing IMEI/ESN as that is ILLEGAL! This thread is about enabling our baseband/modems to operate on different frequencies/couriers.

Trying the VZW unlock thread first HERE
I'm flashing a VZW ROM right now to check APN menu, etc. Sprint even with hack doesn't show APN.

There are several threads on how to unlock Verizon/Tmobile/ATT modems to work on each other with varying levels of success. I feel that we have a iPhone 4s/5 like device that has the same chipset just different locks around the software to prevent unlocking. I was moved by the community's involvement in adding a SIM card slot to the Note 2 and want this mod to work on US couriers.

Basically put, I want to make any US variant S3/Note 2 an international version. The hardware is the same, it's the NVRAM/Firmware prohibiting us.

This is the SIM card mod for the SPR N2:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1959005

Enabling AWS (T-Mobile) on ATT Note 2:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35933247

Verizon S3 on T-Mobile:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2013647

Verizon S3 on world GSM:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809314

The primary method of unlocking modem bands is flashing a QCN file that modifies NVRAM params. In the ATT T-Mobile thread the hack works by flashing over a ESN/IMEI stripped T-Mobile qcn backup file.

I tried following this process but was blocked by a "Roaming Lists could not be read" error at 16% when trying to backup my NVRAM using QPST. I attempted flashing the file anyway and received a "Could not Communicate in Diagnostic Mode" error. My modem then would not see any networks. I then flashed a ATT modem which bootlooped my device.

I feel the Roaming List could not be read is the main issue into how Sprint locked down this device for US GSM. In SIM tech, the courier provides a preferred list of up to 80 couriers the phone is to connect to first when roaming due to courier roaming agreements instead of the strongest signal first. As the Spr model uses a chip for a SIM it's possible that the "SIM" could not be read to provide roaming lists and GSM could be blacklisted in this chip as it is more sophisticated then a SIM smartcard. Now that I flashed a ATT modem I'm going to try to download the NVItems again using QPST.

I restored my TWRP backup and sideloaded a SPR modem, back at stock all working.

The alternative is to use the "IMEI/ESN" backup tool:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867442

I will continue experimenting and will report progress.

When writing back my NVRAM dump I get this list of readonly/locked items:
(NV Items http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1954029)
Writing NV-items from a file:
Unsuccessfully written NV-items:
00000 (0x0000) - Password (16 digits) is required
0^"Electronic Serial Number"^"Security*"
00001 (0x0001) - Read only item
1^"Electronic Serial Number Checksum"^"Security*"
01943 (0x0797) - Password (16 digits) is required
797^"DCS TX Burst Ramp Down Index 11"^"GSM*"
05597 (0x15DD) - Read only item
05598 (0x15DE) - Read only item
These two are unknown but people get them when doing AWS unlocks:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36078971&postcount=81

Found a AWS/ATT modified TXT file, I flashed it and reset
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36008901&postcount=49

Mobile networks show a previously unselectable item WCDMA only as selected which is not in the menu, the network status is unknown. I have a feeling the nv-item is trying to reference a menu item that is not in my ROM.

Next I'm going to ODIN the stock ATT rom over and see what happens.

FAIL! modem.bin won't flash.

Flashed Stock AIO modem+firmware+rom, etc odin to phone and flashed LJC modem manually. No data and was reporting WCDMA only from the last NV items hack. It seems NV-ITEMS are persistent across a complete and total stock restore+modem flash (twice) wipes and bricks. I restored my backup TXT for nv items and stock network has returned.

I'm flashing CM next for Sprint as it has "- Removed preset Network mode/selection (allows for more network modes)"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2047667

Hopefully with the NV Items hack and a ROM without network modes locked w/ a SIM card board I should be gold.

Here is NV Items when flashing on stock ODIN:

00005 (0x0005) - Command failed
00018 (0x0012) - Command failed
00031 (0x001F) - Command failed
00032 (0x0020) - Read only item
00033 (0x0021) - Read only item
00034 (0x0022) - Command failed
00035 (0x0023) - Command failed
00036 (0x0024) - Command failed
00037 (0x0025) - Read only item
00048 (0x0030) - Command failed
00049 (0x0031) - Command failed
00050 (0x0032) - Command failed
00176 (0x00B0) - Read only item
00177 (0x00B1) - Read only item
00178 (0x00B2) - Command failed
00209 (0x00D1) - Read only item
00210 (0x00D2) - Command failed
00211 (0x00D3) - Command failed
00212 (0x00D4) - Command failed
00213 (0x00D5) - Command failed
00215 (0x00D7) - Command failed
00258 (0x0102) - Command failed
00259 (0x0103) - Command failed
00260 (0x0104) - Command failed
00261 (0x0105) - Command failed
00262 (0x0106) - Read only item
00263 (0x0107) - Read only item
00264 (0x0108) - Read only item
00265 (0x0109) - Read only item
00266 (0x010A) - Read only item
00296 (0x0128) - Command failed
Done.

1/10/13 6:17pm
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016575
Trying new international ATT rom. CM10 didn't have what I needed for network selections.

I have successfully detected a GSM network type although it's going to need some work.. I got to go home and eat.

1/11/13 11:14am
Using the RF NV editor from QPST I can edit all NV-Items with no roaming lists error.

Last edited:

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
BY FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. I HAVE TESTED RECOVERY BACK TO STOCK WITH A ODIN FLASH AND RESTORATION OF MY NV-ITEMS BACKUP. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DEVICE AND THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED AS-IS.

That being said I have ODIN flashshed ATT firmwares over, international firmwares over, changed numerous NVItems settings and have been successful in restoring my device to fully operational stock with working radio/service. At one point I had to go into download mode and odin TWRP and ADB sideload a modem due to a boot loop but I was still able to recover.

*DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU ARE AWARE OF HOW TO UNBRICK YOUR DEVICE AND RESTORE IMEI/NV-ITEMS*
To enable USB file transfer at anytime dial *#7284# Qualcomm USB Settings and select MTP+ADB

Here is a howto/recap of what I have accomplished:
**YOU MUST BE ROOTED**
You need the SIM card board for this to work otherwise you are simply experimenting. Get one HERE

1. Get the Note 2 toolkit and drivers per your device HERE This is the easiest method of getting all required tools/software for a brick restore and other flashes.
2. Get the Samsung NV Items tool HERE
3. Get your MSL using the *root required* Get my MSL app HERE Write it down and keep it in a safe place!
4. Dial *#7284# go to Qualcomm USB Settings and select RNDIS+DM+MODEM
5. Plug or Replug your device and wait for drivers to install
6. Open Device Manager and expand Ports (COM & LPT) (windows xp/7/8), make a note of which COM SAMSUNG Mobile USB Serial Port (COM*) (If you do not see the port listed then you didn't install drivers, wait for driver install or you didn't enable Qualcomm diag properly)
7. Open NV-items_reader_writer.exe and select your COM* from Port: dropdown. Put your MSL # in where it says 000000. Make sure BOTH checkboxes are checked and click connect. Click Read. Should say in console "Log message: > SPC is correct. Phone unlocked".
If you get "Log message: > Phone does not accept SPC. SPC is not correct" then try 000000 as MSL
8. Click Read and wait 5-10 mins for your nvitems to be read. SAVE THE TEXT FILE somewhere where you won't loose it and MAKE A BACKUP. Email it to yourself and upload it to dropbox. If you loose this file then you could permabrick your device!
9. Download the AWS ATT NvItems unlock file HERE Click DOWNLOAD and save the txt file to your desktop or somewhere where you will remember.
10. Open or go to NV-items_reader_writer.exe. Do the connect, MSL, read and select com port if you closed the app. Click WRITE and select the text file you downloaded in step 9 "nv aftr qxdm removed imei.txt". After writing click on Mode and Reboot or simply reboot your phone.

At this point you are on a Sprint Rom/Kernel/Modem with a GSM compatible radio. Your Sprint software has no idea what is going on and most likely won't connect to GSM even with a SIM card inserted. If you go into Settings->Mobile networks you wont see options to set APN. This is because the Sprint ROM/Radio isn't setup to connect to GSM. Try THIS to "unlock" US GSM couriers on Sprint ROM

11. Flash this ATT ROM: (others may work, although you need a ROM with NO included Kernel/Modem)
HERE
This is the [ROM][4.1.2][XXDLL1] Asylum TJ v1ROM with no modem/kernel/etc. Wipe Dalvik, factory reset, cache. I also wiped system before installing but you may not need to.
12. Boot and verify the rom boots.
At this point you can experiment with the Mobile Networks settings and should see APN options. Change your Network mode and see if you can get any listings for "Network operators" when selecting manual. If you can see ATT/T-MOBILE then report your findings!
13. Next is to flash over a ATT modem/radio in TWRP. Download the modem HERE
THIS MODEM WILL CAUSE YOUR DEVICE TO BOOT LOOP. Although I found on my device it only rebooted every 5 mins or so.
14. After booting you should be able to see ATT/TMOBILE in your network operators settings. Make sure to play with Network mode. I don't have a SIM card and so my lockscreen said "Emergency Calls Only" and I couldn't get into the Mobile Networks menu as it told me to "Please insert SIM card"
At this step I'm fairly certian the GSM bands are unlocked as most people only see Emergency Calls Only when their device is not registered. Normally this is caused by invalid or unauthorized SIM/IMEI/APN settings on a normal GSM phone.

RECOVERY

1. Download Sprint firmware HERE
2. Extract the ZIP to your desktop so you have the "COMBINATION_L900VPLJ1_L900VPALJ1_CL265523_HWID04_HW-Rev0406_user_low_ship.tar.md5" file on your desktop
3. Go into download mode HOW TO
4. Open Odin from C:\Samsung Galaxy Note2 ToolKit\Odin3_v3.07.exe
5. Connect your device
6. Click PDA and select "COMBINATION_L900VPLJ1_L900VPALJ1_CL265523_HWID04_HW-Rev0406_user_low_ship.tar.md5"
It will check MD5 and it'll take a minute
7. Click Start and wait for your device to flash & reboot.
8. Dial *#7284# and go to Qualcomm USB Settings and select RNDIS+DM+MODEM.
9. Open NV-items_reader_writer.exe
10. Find your COM port from earlier in your device manager, same as last time
11. Connect, Read. IF YOU GET SPC ERROR TYPE YOUR MSL or TRY 000000
12. Click Write and select your NV-ITEMS BACKUP .txt FILE
13. After writing click on Mode and Reboot or simply reboot your phone.
14. Dial *#7284# Qualcomm USB Settings and select MTP+ADB

You should now have a fully operational Stock device.

To enable USB file transfer at anytime dial *#7284# Qualcomm USB Settings and select MTP+ADB

If you have issues past this point then you didn't follow instructions completely or you experienced something different then what I experienced. The most important step of unbricking is restoring your NV-ITEMS. Odin flashing of stock firmware/etc is normal procedures as per any unbrick. You are welcome to try modifying the ATT modem to not bootloop (most likely LTE issues as Sprint radio doesn't operate on ATT LTE frequencies) by following THIS post. You can also try the Sprint ROM/Modem by following the Verizon APN/Network hack HERE

Some roms won't let you do *#7284# for ADB/MTP. The way around this (if you need to transfer files and MTP isnt anabled) is to sideload files from TWRP or find the verizon method for dialer codes for Qualcomm USB settings menu. There was a dialer only instruction post but I can't find it now. If all else fails then simply ODIN to stock.

Last edited:

NMonster69

Jul 19, 2009
Apopka, FL.
Impressive work you are attempting. It would def be cool to have the same radio functionality that Iphone 5 peeps have. I am on AT&T, but it would be cool to be able to load the CDMA and related stuff to a GSM phone as well. Good luck, I will be foloowing your thread, mostly out of curiosity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
I can now run a ATT flashed modem. When selecting Mobile Networks it tells me to insert a sim card. I'm getting reboots every 3-5 minutes but I think it's kernel related. The ROM is half the battle, ATT modem boot looped on SPR ROM. I should be able to connect to GSM once I do the SIM hack for proof of concept.

Recap:
NV-Items of the ATT to T-Mobile flashed (AWS/GSM unlock, use both ATT and Tmobile on ATT GN2)
Flashed ATT ROM
Failed flashing ATT Persues kernel (stuck at samsung logo)
Flashed Sprint Persues kernel
Flashed ATT modem

I desperately need the NV-ITEMS from an international phone in txt format.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36559274

Last edited:

mackentosh

Jun 30, 2010
Orlando FL.
this may have nothing to do with what your doing but ill ask anyway :eek: I ported a verizon note 2 rom over to sprint galaxy note 2 and everything works but LTE is it possible to get it to work? Its the JellyBeans Rom in the sprint forum

Last edited:

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
From my understanding the customization of the chipset is in relation to LTE frequencies which are hawdware related. It's the same for the Nexus 4, it supports LTE unofficially on band 4 due to LG keeping in their Optimus LTE chip. Nexus 4 on LTE only works in certain areas in the country due to ATT only providing LTE band 4 in very limited areas.

I doubt I can "unlock" to the point where a Sprint/Verizon phone can see each other's LTE frequencies as LTE is a different chip in question (most frequently) as LTE courier customization is specific to the courier/device.

I may be wrong as it depends on the chip in question and how it's implemented. I need to find a photo of both Sprint/Verizon mainboards and compare. My work focuses on GSM/AWS bands for HSDPA+ and 3G as it is more likely to work as the chipset known supports these bands. Please feel free to post pics of the boards or chipset info and I'll look into it.

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
Due to my NV-Items trick I now can use QPST to dump a full nvitems+more. I cannot restore items though

When in GSM mode I'm getting an Emergency Calls Only/Enter SIM which means it should work with a SIM chip.
ATT modem + ATT/AWS nvitems unlock on ATT ROM; SPR Kernel.

Buying a cracked screen working ATT Note 2 sometime today for $325 for additional testing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rkboid

mackentosh

Jun 30, 2010
Orlando FL.
Due to my NV-Items trick I now can use QPST to dump a full nvitems+more. I cannot restore items though

When in GSM mode I'm getting an Emergency Calls Only/Enter SIM which means it should work with a SIM chip.
ATT modem + ATT/AWS nvitems unlock on ATT ROM; SPR Kernel.

Buying a cracked screen working ATT Note 2 sometime today for $325 for additional testing :)

Seems like your making progress

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I really doubt you will get VZW LTE working as for one you will not Auth with their system. Second I am sure the transceiver in our version of the phone is not capable of that frequency on the LTE path.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, I really doubt you will get VZW LTE working as for one you will not Auth with their system. Second I am sure the transceiver in our version of the phone is not capable of that frequency on the LTE path.

Agreed, my goal is to get HSDPA GSM data working on Sprint Note 2. Verizon allready has a method of unlocking http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044449. I do agree that it's impossible for LTE to work on any method as LTE chip is a whole different ballgame than what I'm attempting. It may be possible but someone would have to start by getting a VZW and SPR mainboard and comparing chips. Even if you somehow get the radio working you would might need to hack the ESN which is ILLEGAL, although VZW does use SIM cards..

However I can see VZW frequencies on my Note 2 right now. Alternating between EVDOa and eHRPD.

Last edited:

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
Agreed, my goal is to get HSDPA GSM data working on Sprint Note 2. Verizon allready has a method of unlocking http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044449. I do agree that it's impossible for LTE to work on any method as LTE chip is a whole different ballgame than what I'm attempting. It may be possible but someone would have to start by getting a VZW and SPR mainboard and comparing chips. Even if you somehow get the radio working you would might need to hack the ESN which is ILLEGAL, although VZW does use SIM cards..

However I can see VZW frequencies on my Note 2 right now. Alternating between EVDOa and eHRPD.

Side note... Altering an ESN isn't just caps illegal, it is caps/bold/underscored/red font illegal. A federal felony from what I've read.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk HD

rockerrock

Dec 25, 2008
Side note... Altering an ESN isn't just caps illegal, it is caps/bold/underscored/red font illegal. A federal felony from what I've read.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk HD

Yup, modifying ESN has absolutely nothing to do with my research. My goal is to utilize a provider's SIM on GSM to connect to ATT/TMobile with stock IMEI/ESN. Verizon uses a SIM in their Note2/S3 in which if they accept your ESN/IMEI with their SIM is their discretion. ESN/IMEI, etc is stored in NV Items which is in the modem baseband, not the ASIC. Swapping SIM cards are perfectly legal so removal/replacement of the embedded SIM is legal. ESN/IMEI is like a car's VIN which is illegal to touch, SIM is more like a license plate on a car. I'm a firm believer in its your device do what you want but once you enable your modem to interact with the public infrastructure you are bound to it's rules, period.

On another note I have a ATT Note 2 now but I sold the Sprint Note 2 to get the Nexus 4. I can continue my research into GSM on my Sprint S3 and provide dumps for the ATT Note 2.

I'm fairly certain that I have accomplished a US GSM unlock on my Sprint Note 2 as it exhibits the same symptoms as a Unlocked phone without a SIM, Emergency Calls Only. However I do not see ATT/T-Mobile in my network operators menu which I'm sure the VZW APN hack will fix or it's because I don't have a SIM.

It's going to take someone with a Sprint S3/Note 2 with SIM mod and some tinkering around to get this to work. I'll get a SIM board for my S3 but it's going to take some time as I'm busy with work and my girlfriend. If anything was learned, it was that the S3/Note 2 is pretty much damn near unbrickable. I've flashed every firmware known to man, trashed my NV ITEMS, wiped my ESN/MSL and recovered to absolutely working activationable stock. Don't be afraid to experiment, just BACKUP and BACKUP your BACKUPS.

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
I am stuck at this step:
THIS MODEM WILL CAUSE YOUR DEVICE TO BOOT LOOP. Although I found on my device it only rebooted every 5 mins or so.

It does cases boot loop, only it's not every 5 minutes, but instantenious, right after "Android is upgrading" Am i missing something?
Update: with ATT ROM, it does give me 2-3 minutes before reboot, however it won't see the Sprint SIM with ATT modem file. I've also tried few other modems from Verizon and some other GN2 carriers, same story. currently i have no SIM mode installed, but I think it should still see SPRINT chip/SIM because it is emmulating a LTE/GSM SIM. SIM manager says SIM state unknown.
Is this the same for you? how are you able to see the T-mobile and AT&T , if you can't get n to the mobile networks menu?

Last edited:

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007

Seeing PCS and CLR VZW is easy. I don't think you will auth on ehrpd though.

Did you ever get past the failure to read roaming list issue. Was curious if you found a way to read the PRL from the Note2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is NOT in relation to changing IMEI/ESN as that is ILLEGAL! This thread is about enabling our baseband/modems to operate on different frequencies/couriers.

Trying the VZW unlock thread first HERE
    I'm flashing a VZW ROM right now to check APN menu, etc. Sprint even with hack doesn't show APN.

There are several threads on how to unlock Verizon/Tmobile/ATT modems to work on each other with varying levels of success. I feel that we have a iPhone 4s/5 like device that has the same chipset just different locks around the software to prevent unlocking. I was moved by the community's involvement in adding a SIM card slot to the Note 2 and want this mod to work on US couriers.

Basically put, I want to make any US variant S3/Note 2 an international version. The hardware is the same, it's the NVRAM/Firmware prohibiting us.

This is the SIM card mod for the SPR N2:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1959005

Enabling AWS (T-Mobile) on ATT Note 2:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35933247

Verizon S3 on T-Mobile:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2013647

Verizon S3 on world GSM:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809314

The primary method of unlocking modem bands is flashing a QCN file that modifies NVRAM params. In the ATT T-Mobile thread the hack works by flashing over a ESN/IMEI stripped T-Mobile qcn backup file.

I tried following this process but was blocked by a "Roaming Lists could not be read" error at 16% when trying to backup my NVRAM using QPST. I attempted flashing the file anyway and received a "Could not Communicate in Diagnostic Mode" error. My modem then would not see any networks. I then flashed a ATT modem which bootlooped my device.

I feel the Roaming List could not be read is the main issue into how Sprint locked down this device for US GSM. In SIM tech, the courier provides a preferred list of up to 80 couriers the phone is to connect to first when roaming due to courier roaming agreements instead of the strongest signal first. As the Spr model uses a chip for a SIM it's possible that the "SIM" could not be read to provide roaming lists and GSM could be blacklisted in this chip as it is more sophisticated then a SIM smartcard. Now that I flashed a ATT modem I'm going to try to download the NVItems again using QPST.

I restored my TWRP backup and sideloaded a SPR modem, back at stock all working.

The alternative is to use the "IMEI/ESN" backup tool:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867442

I will continue experimenting and will report progress.

When writing back my NVRAM dump I get this list of readonly/locked items:
    (NV Items http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1954029)
    0^"Electronic Serial Number"^"Security*"
    1^"Electronic Serial Number Checksum"^"Security*"
    797^"DCS TX Burst Ramp Down Index 11"^"GSM*"
    These two are unknown but people get them when doing AWS unlocks:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36078971&postcount=81

Found a AWS/ATT modified TXT file, I flashed it and reset
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36008901&postcount=49

Mobile networks show a previously unselectable item WCDMA only as selected which is not in the menu, the network status is unknown. I have a feeling the nv-item is trying to reference a menu item that is not in my ROM.

Next I'm going to ODIN the stock ATT rom over and see what happens.

FAIL! modem.bin won't flash.

Flashed Stock AIO modem+firmware+rom, etc odin to phone and flashed LJC modem manually. No data and was reporting WCDMA only from the last NV items hack. It seems NV-ITEMS are persistent across a complete and total stock restore+modem flash (twice) wipes and bricks. I restored my backup TXT for nv items and stock network has returned.

I'm flashing CM next for Sprint as it has "- Removed preset Network mode/selection (allows for more network modes)"
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2047667

Hopefully with the NV Items hack and a ROM without network modes locked w/ a SIM card board I should be gold.

Here is NV Items when flashing on stock ODIN:

00005 (0x0005) - Command failed
    00018 (0x0012) - Command failed
    00031 (0x001F) - Command failed
    00032 (0x0020) - Read only item
    00033 (0x0021) - Read only item
    00034 (0x0022) - Command failed
    00035 (0x0023) - Command failed
    00036 (0x0024) - Command failed
    00037 (0x0025) - Read only item
    00048 (0x0030) - Command failed
    00049 (0x0031) - Command failed
    00050 (0x0032) - Command failed
    00176 (0x00B0) - Read only item
    00177 (0x00B1) - Read only item
    00178 (0x00B2) - Command failed
    00209 (0x00D1) - Read only item
    00210 (0x00D2) - Command failed
    00211 (0x00D3) - Command failed
    00212 (0x00D4) - Command failed
    00213 (0x00D5) - Command failed
    00215 (0x00D7) - Command failed
    00258 (0x0102) - Command failed
    00259 (0x0103) - Command failed
    00260 (0x0104) - Command failed
    00261 (0x0105) - Command failed
    00262 (0x0106) - Read only item
    00263 (0x0107) - Read only item
    00264 (0x0108) - Read only item
    00265 (0x0109) - Read only item
    00266 (0x010A) - Read only item
    00296 (0x0128) - Command failed
    Done.

1/10/13 6:17pm
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016575
    Trying new international ATT rom. CM10 didn't have what I needed for network selections.

I have successfully detected a GSM network type although it's going to need some work.. I got to go home and eat.

1/11/13 11:14am
    Using the RF NV editor from QPST I can edit all NV-Items with no roaming lists error.
    BY FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. I HAVE TESTED RECOVERY BACK TO STOCK WITH A ODIN FLASH AND RESTORATION OF MY NV-ITEMS BACKUP. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DEVICE AND THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED AS-IS.

That being said I have ODIN flashshed ATT firmwares over, international firmwares over, changed numerous NVItems settings and have been successful in restoring my device to fully operational stock with working radio/service. At one point I had to go into download mode and odin TWRP and ADB sideload a modem due to a boot loop but I was still able to recover.

*DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU ARE AWARE OF HOW TO UNBRICK YOUR DEVICE AND RESTORE IMEI/NV-ITEMS*

Here is a howto/recap of what I have accomplished:
    **YOU MUST BE ROOTED**
    You need the SIM card board for this to work otherwise you are simply experimenting. Get one HERE

1. Get the Note 2 toolkit and drivers per your device HERE This is the easiest method of getting all required tools/software for a brick restore and other flashes.
    2. Get the Samsung NV Items tool HERE
    3. Get your MSL using the *root required* Get my MSL app HERE Write it down and keep it in a safe place!
    4. Dial *#7284# go to Qualcomm USB Settings and select RNDIS+DM+MODEM
    5. Plug or Replug your device and wait for drivers to install
    6. Open Device Manager and expand Ports (COM & LPT) (windows xp/7/8), make a note of which COM SAMSUNG Mobile USB Serial Port (COM*) (If you do not see the port listed then you didn't install drivers, wait for driver install or you didn't enable Qualcomm diag properly)
    7. Open NV-items_reader_writer.exe and select your COM* from Port: dropdown. Put your MSL # in where it says 000000. Make sure BOTH checkboxes are checked and click connect. Click Read. Should say in console "Log message: > SPC is correct. Phone unlocked".
    If you get "Log message: > Phone does not accept SPC. SPC is not correct" then try 000000 as MSL
    8. Click Read and wait 5-10 mins for your nvitems to be read. SAVE THE TEXT FILE somewhere where you won't loose it and MAKE A BACKUP. Email it to yourself and upload it to dropbox. If you loose this file then you could permabrick your device!
    9. Download the AWS ATT NvItems unlock file HERE Click DOWNLOAD and save the txt file to your desktop or somewhere where you will remember.
    10. Open or go to NV-items_reader_writer.exe. Do the connect, MSL, read and select com port if you closed the app. Click WRITE and select the text file you downloaded in step 9 "nv aftr qxdm removed imei.txt". After writing click on Mode and Reboot or simply reboot your phone.

At this point you are on a Sprint Rom/Kernel/Modem with a GSM compatible radio. Your Sprint software has no idea what is going on and most likely won't connect to GSM even with a SIM card inserted. If you go into Settings->Mobile networks you wont see options to set APN. This is because the Sprint ROM/Radio isn't setup to connect to GSM. Try THIS to "unlock" US GSM couriers on Sprint ROM

11. Flash this ATT ROM: (others may work, although you need a ROM with NO included Kernel/Modem)
    HERE
    This is the [ROM][4.1.2][XXDLL1] Asylum TJ v1ROM with no modem/kernel/etc. Wipe Dalvik, factory reset, cache. I also wiped system before installing but you may not need to.
    12. Boot and verify the rom boots.
    At this point you can experiment with the Mobile Networks settings and should see APN options. Change your Network mode and see if you can get any listings for "Network operators" when selecting manual. If you can see ATT/T-MOBILE then report your findings!
    14. After booting you should be able to see ATT/TMOBILE in your network operators settings. Make sure to play with Network mode. I don't have a SIM card and so my lockscreen said "Emergency Calls Only" and I couldn't get into the Mobile Networks menu as it told me to "Please insert SIM card"
    At this step I'm fairly certian the GSM bands are unlocked as most people only see Emergency Calls Only when their device is not registered. Normally this is caused by invalid or unauthorized SIM/IMEI/APN settings on a normal GSM phone.

RECOVERY

1. Download Sprint firmware HERE
    2. Extract the ZIP to your desktop so you have the "COMBINATION_L900VPLJ1_L900VPALJ1_CL265523_HWID04_HW-Rev0406_user_low_ship.tar.md5" file on your desktop
    3. Go into download mode HOW TO
    4. Open Odin from C:\Samsung Galaxy Note2 ToolKit\Odin3_v3.07.exe
    5. Connect your device
    6. Click PDA and select "COMBINATION_L900VPLJ1_L900VPALJ1_CL265523_HWID04_HW-Rev0406_user_low_ship.tar.md5"
    It will check MD5 and it'll take a minute
    7. Click Start and wait for your device to flash & reboot.
    8. Dial *#7284# and go to Qualcomm USB Settings and select RNDIS+DM+MODEM.
    9. Open NV-items_reader_writer.exe
    10. Find your COM port from earlier in your device manager, same as last time
    11. Connect, Read. IF YOU GET SPC ERROR TYPE YOUR MSL or TRY 000000
    12. Click Write and select your NV-ITEMS BACKUP .txt FILE
    13. After writing click on Mode and Reboot or simply reboot your phone.
    14. Dial *#7284# Qualcomm USB Settings and select MTP+ADB

You should now have a fully operational Stock device.

If you have issues past this point then you didn't follow instructions completely or you experienced something different then what I experienced. The most important step of unbricking is restoring your NV-ITEMS. Odin flashing of stock firmware/etc is normal procedures as per any unbrick. You are welcome to try modifying the ATT modem to not bootloop (most likely LTE issues as Sprint radio doesn't operate on ATT LTE frequencies) by following THIS post. You can also try the Sprint ROM/Modem by following the Verizon APN/Network hack HERE

Some roms won't let you do *#7284# for ADB/MTP. The way around this (if you need to transfer files and MTP isnt anabled) is to sideload files from TWRP or find the verizon method for dialer codes for Qualcomm USB settings menu. There was a dialer only instruction post but I can't find it now. If all else fails then simply ODIN to stock.
    I can successfully see a ATT/T-Mobile GSM network type with the NV-Items hack. I need to do the sim card mod now. I'll order parts this weekend and until then there isn't too much I can do.
    leond, could you possibly upload both .bin files and post a link? I'd love to play around with them further.

I recently got a good deal on a blacklisted Note II for Sprint, which I'd be willing to experiment on (I'd much rather get it working on T-Mobile than flash it to another CDMA carrier). I also own a Note II for Verizon with a clean ESN. I was meaning to sell the Verizon one, though I might keep it for a while for the sake of having a second device to test on. Neither are rooted as of yet, (I'm very much a noob when it comes to Android, as I've only recently gained an interest in it,) however; I'll likely root them (or at the very least, the Sprint one,) soon, but I'd like to see the .bin files beforehand.

Sprint note 2 modems: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2139889
    I believe only modems starting with L will let you recognize SIM card in the modded phone.

Verizon note 2 modems: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2108510

Verizon note 2 GSM unlock: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044449

I am an engineer working with embedded microprocessors so i know a thing or 2 about firmware and I've spend few hours on decompiling and reverse engineering those files. They are intended for different hardware and cannot be mixed, it's a dead end, but feel free to try :)
    you'l need to root and install custom recovery to try this. Once you program foreign modem the phone will bootlop, get back in to custom recovery and FLASH original modem and the phone will be back in business. Good Luck!
    say we were able to get a working odin.tar or zip that we can flash into the note 2 that has everything that the verizon note 2 would have. everything from the build to modem and kernel. i tried nandroid from my verizon to my sprint note 2 and it just bootlooped. i also tried to flash verizon stock to sph-l900 in odin. i can pull files from my verizon note 2 if any one needs it to move in the right direction

Verizon Note has a different hardware on the RF/radio/modem part. Flashing modem firmware in to a Sprint Note is going to bootloop for sure. it's a dead end. Someone with access to the sources of modem.bin (it's and iso file combined of multiple binary files and can be opened with magicISO) will have to make appropriate changes to the sources to unblock US networks and recompile. This will never happen. there is no easy hack for this.
    See my post here for more details:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35704732&postcount=216

if you want more details on various flavors of Galaxy Note 2, you can look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_II
    no other note2 has te same radio so, no chance that other modem.bin will work