SM-P600

Search This thread

zaibrockstar

Feb 4, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
Hi All

Let me start with few good things here:cowboy: You guys are amazing helping and providing tweaks for us:good:

I am Nexus user. I have Installed Custom Recovery, Flashed ROMs and rooted my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. This is my First Samsung Tablet. I have waited enough for Nexus 10 (2). I finally bought SM-P600.

I was trying to find an Guide with links for Unlocking bootloader and Updating firmware and then flash Custom recovery for this but coudnt figure it out:confused:

I have been reading lots of things about Knox and counters related to it.

Can anyone Please help me find answers straight.

1) Any Rooting and Custom Recovery tools or ADB commands without Hitting the KNOX counter {Just In case IF I wanted to return it} If not then which one you recommend ?

By the Way I found few posts related to Rooting Which has confused me more. I used to use Chainfire SUROOT:
Rooting using CF-AUTO Root
Universal Root de la Vega

2) If I Root and want to use Stock ROM of SM-P600 will all apps work normally or any known issues with it ?

3) Is Odin any tool which everyone is taking about ? I am not sure about it Can you provide any links to its dev for more info. Found it about in a Post to return to STOCK ?

4) Are these ROMS and apps Odexed or Deodexed ROM?

5) Any Dependencies for Firmware and with any of the above questions. I mean In Universal Root I saw they were talking about certain version of firmware. Also Should I update the latest firmware and do a Nandriod backup ?

6) Also read that once KNOX counter goes up, I wont get any OTA ? My Plan is I will use it till next Nexus and will give it to parents with stock ROM. If I am using I can always use an Custom Rom and get updates. But for parents I want to return it to stock so that they can easily update when OTA is available.

I would like to make one more suggestion to MOD's Please Pin the Guides like the Rooting and stuff like Return to Stock which are quite common and useful so that its easy for newbies( aka for Samsung) like me.

Thanks

Zaib.

Last edited:
D

dtchky

1. This is not really a single question with a single answer :) I think vaguely what you are asking is if you can root without tripping knox?
Nope. Not at this time.

2. If you use CF-Auto-Root you'll likely find that the vast majority of applications keep working without issue. Of those that don't, a handful you can manage back to a working state with various tweaks, but there are a few that are probably gone for good. You can basically kiss all the Samsung hub apps goodbye, these will start claiming they are not supported in your country even if they were working perfectly prior to rooting, some may continue working for a short time after but eventually something leaks and your access is cut. Screen mirroring will no longer work though this can be fixed with a small zip file flash. OTA updates are also gone.
Forget all the talk about 'triangle away' fixing any of this, it hasn't for me.

3. Odin is a tool that is able to flash firmware files or parts thereof to your device. Heimdall is an alternative suite of applications, while there is a GUI for it, it seems fairly hit and miss on Linux these days, I've never had much luck with it, on the other hand the command line tools work perfectly fine.
Once you trip Knox, there's no turning back! You won't lose your warranty in any meaningful way, but you may end up having to argue about it and drag in government regulators to get your tablet repaired free of charge depending on the dealer response.

4. I don't think this is particularly relevant to the SM-P600. My subjective opinion would be to stick with the bog standard Samsung ROM. If you want cool themes there are a multitude of launchers, Xposed takes care most other things you might ever care to tweak.

5. You have one choice. CF-Auto-Root. Backups are healthy. :)

6. True, but you'll still be able to flash via Odin so it doesn't really mean much of anything. Once you trip Knox, you can also kiss OTA updates goodbye as well.