[Q] Could not mount /data ! Phone Stuck!

Search This thread

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
I flashed a CM based ROM, and decided to get back to Slimkat. Opened my recovery ( Philz CWM ) wiped everything, and now tried to restore my nandroid ! And suddenly Im on Can't mount /sdcard ! I can't even flash a new ROM or do anything, I get stuck on Google's boot logo if I want to get to the ROM.

Let's note that I had no USB debug checked as I was only checking out the newly flashed ROM. So am I literally in a dead situation? Anyone please may help ?

Mynix

Jan 12, 2013
Near Versailles - France
I flashed a CM based ROM, and decided to get back to Slimkat. Opened my recovery ( Philz CWM ) wiped everything, and now tried to restore my nandroid ! And suddenly Im on Can't mount /sdcard ! I can't even flash a new ROM or do anything, I get stuck on Google's boot logo if I want to get to the ROM.

Let's note that I had no USB debug checked as I was only checking out the newly flashed ROM. So am I literally in a dead situation? Anyone please may help ?
Clean fastboot install :/ Solved the issue for me

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
try and format cache. If still no luck, fastboot flash cache cache.img

Can I still fastboot even if I have no USB debugging enabled? The phone will interact with the commands normally? ( Since as I mentioned before I flashed the ROM only to check out and played with no settings at all, didnt know this is going to happen )

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
fastboot commands are done in the bootloader. USB debugging is an Android setting. The 2 are not related even in the slightest.

Thank you sir ! Im sorry to go further saying that I have never used fastboot even thought this is my third nexus device, the regular way of me having a Nexus is using a toolkit on day one to Unlock/Root and then the rest is always done to me on a Recovery !

I am currently downloading the Factory Image to flash it via fastboot ( There are instructions on how to do that ) But will delete everything on my phone.

Is there a way I can save myself right now without any loss? Via fastboot commands? And how can I do it? ( Im really sorry for taking your time and mixing my inexperience )

You'd be a life saver hehe

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thank you sir ! Im sorry to go further saying that I have never used fastboot even thought this is my third nexus device, the regular way of me having a Nexus is using a toolkit on day one to Unlock/Root and then the rest is always done to me on a Recovery !

I am currently downloading the Factory Image to flash it via fastboot ( There are instructions on how to do that ) But will delete everything on my phone.

Is there a way I can save myself right now without any loss? Via fastboot commands? And how can I do it? ( Im really sorry for taking your time and mixing my inexperience )

Dont flash the entire factory image.

just use the

fastboot flash cache cache.img

Then you won't wipe the device.

This is why not to use toolkits. fastboot is essential basic knowledge and using toolkits means you dont get to learn it :)

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut

just use the

This is why not to use toolkits. fastboot is essential basic knowledge and using toolkits means you dont get to learn it :)

You are totally right about that :) I should learn about it ! Hahaha. Okay, I opened a command promt and I am in the bootloader, where should I get the cache.img from? And should I place it in a certain folder? cause apparently I tried doing this command and it didn't work, I guess i have to get the cache.img from somewhere :p ( Im really sorry mate...Thanks again )

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
You are totally right about that :) I should learn about it ! Hahaha. Okay, I opened a command promt and I am in the bootloader, where should I get the cache.img from? And should I place it in a certain folder? cause apparently I tried doing this command and it didn't work, I guess i have to get the cache.img from somewhere :p ( Im really sorry mate...Thanks again )

Have a read of the "how to flash a factory image" thread in general. Just remember, dont follow it blindly as you'll flash the whole factory image.

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
Have a read of the "how to flash a factory image" thread in general. Just remember, dont follow it blindly as you'll flash the whole factory image.

Promise this is the last question I hope. I am actually on that page. I have downloaded the factory image BUT when I extract it via Winrar I only get a one file as an output (hammerhead-kot49h-factory-02006b99)

EDIT: I renamed the extracted file to .zip and extracted again, now I have the files displayed on that page...Trying to figure out now how to flash the cache.img

Last edited:

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
I successfully flashed cache.img But the problem is still there in my recovery, can't mound /sdcard

Think I have to flash the whole factory image ? :-/

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

Charlus97

Jun 17, 2012
Bordeaux
charley.sedeau.com
I successfully flashed cache.img But the problem is still there in my recovery, can't mound /sdcard

Think I have to flash the whole factory image ? :-/

I think you'v nothing to loose by flashing the whole factory image. If /sdcard can't be mounted in this situation, I think that's because you did (or a toolkit) did something wrong and break it. I don't think that you'll be able to save anything.

(It's my point of view. Maybe somebody else has an idea ?)

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
And there we go, I did it, phone back to life. Thank you guys ! A LOT! Appreciated ! pretty much !

Allow me to recall the scenario : I was on Slimkat, decided to try Mahdi Rom ( CM Based ), Backup before flashing, flashed, wanted to revert back. And this can't mount /sdcard there. No idea what could be it...

What recovery you guys recommend me to use ? - Lesson I learned today? I should know how to use fastboot and ditch the Toolkit galore.

Reactions: El Daddy

Charlus97

Jun 17, 2012
Bordeaux
charley.sedeau.com
Well, seems that you did'nt do anything wrong. Maybe a problem with the rom or something else occur.

Next time, maybe, do a backup and, then, copy it to your computer :)

For the recovery, I use CWM 6.0.0.4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

just use the

And there we go, I did it, phone back to life. Thank you guys ! A LOT! Appreciated ! pretty much !

Allow me to recall the scenario : I was on Slimkat, decided to try Mahdi Rom ( CM Based ), Backup before flashing, flashed, wanted to revert back. And this can't mount /sdcard there. No idea what could be it...

What recovery you guys recommend me to use ? - Lesson I learned today? I should know how to use fastboot and ditch the Toolkit galore.