Search This thread

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
The only thing I want to do and can't make work is the Wifi Hotspot (I used FoxFi on my old phone and I loved it and have already paid for the license, if using it is possible)

My concerns in order of importance to me:

1. Stability is critical.
  2. I don't want to own a $700 brick.
  3. I need to be able to use my unlimited data plan to create a hotspot several times a week.
  4. Not voiding warranty.
If the advice is to root to achieve this function, what is the safest rooting process, with the most reliable outcome for my above 4 concerns?

SanityBroken

Mar 8, 2012
Colorado
The only thing I want to do and can't make work is the Wifi Hotspot (I used FoxFi on my old phone and I loved it and have already paid for the license, if using it is possible)

3. I need to be able to use my unlimited data plan to create a hotspot several times a week.
  4. Not voiding warranty.
If the advice is to root to achieve this function, what is the safest rooting process, with the most reliable outcome for my above 4 concerns?

Every Rom I've flashed for this phone has been at least as stable as stock if not more so.
  1. The rooting process for this phone is simple as can be, I haven't seen any reports of bricks.
  2. Hotspot working in pretty much all the TW Roms, not sure about CM
  3. Rooting voids warranty, Sprint will "USUALLY" fix it anyway
Chainfire's one click root is the best way to go, all that does is give you root and you can stop there if you want to stay stock with root privileges. If you want a custom recovery so you can flash new Roms, that's another very simple step. Chainfire's thread gives you all the instruction you need. Hope this helps.

bobturismo

Mar 20, 2009
I tried everything to get it to work and I was rooted.

Only after I installed a custom rom did it work.

At first I rooted with kingo to keep knox 0x0, eventually I said screw it and installed TWRP and now I'm 0x1. I have not read of anyone that has been denied by sprint for warranty work, or at least tried a different store and was successful.

Reactions: micmars

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I tried everything to get it to work and I was rooted.

Only after I installed a custom rom did it work.

At first I rooted with kingo to keep knox 0x0, eventually I said screw it and installed TWRP and now I'm 0x1. I have not read of anyone that has been denied by sprint for warranty work, or at least tried a different store and was successful.

There are a few reports of it here on these forums, but you are correct in that a bit of tenacity seems to have paid off for most.

Irrespective, if you are happy with your choice, then you made the right call.

I believe many here sort of held their breath either before or during the Knox tripping deed.

Some early adopters of the device were left with few tools even to take an upgrade. Thank goodness for the dev community.

Just be thankful that they are here. When KitKat drops, we're gonna need them a heck of a lot more than they need us. Perhaps throw your favorite dev some jingle. It's not like they are making mad money. And the mouth-frothing types with which they are confronted from time to time alone makes it worth the doing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: kjinmn

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
There are a few reports of it here on these forums, but you are correct in that a bit of tenacity seems to have paid off for most.

Irrespective, if you are happy with your choice, then you made the right call.

I believe many here sort of held their breath either before or during the Knox tripping deed.

Some early adopters of the device were left with few tools even to take an upgrade. Thank goodness for the dev community.

Just be thankful that they are here. When KitKat drops, we're gonna need them a heck of a lot more than they need us. Perhaps throw your favorite dev some jingle. It's not like they are making mad money. And the mouth-frothing types with which they are confronted from time to time alone makes it worth the doing.

I am ready to root today (finally). I got the OTA KITKAT update pushed out to me from Sprint. I have not installed it, and want to root before I do. Can you recommend a ROM to download & install?

Kj
Samsung Note 3, unmodified

Reactions: Greatness83

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Got to Upgrade Then Root...

I am ready to root today (finally). I got the OTA KITKAT update pushed out to me from Sprint. I have not installed it, and want to root before I do. Can you recommend a ROM to download & install?

Kj

If you are NOT rooted, then you must upgrade first, then root. If you do not wish to upgrade to KitKat, then you may root now, but the upgrade will not install. Samsung's syscope service will check the status of your phone (official/custom), and your ability to install the update will be nullified if you root whilst on MJ4.

So...upgrade then root. If you need help with rooting, write back. As to preference of ROM, I am a TouchWiz guy that loves inverted apps. Others like AOSP and swear by it. Just select the direction you want and hit the dev forum. There are many good ROMS from which to choose.

Good luck!

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
If you are NOT rooted, then you must upgrade first, then root. If you do not wish to upgrade to KitKat, then you may root now, but the upgrade will not install. Samsung's syscope service will check the status of your phone (official/custom), and your ability to install the update will be nullified if you root whilst on MJ4.

So...upgrade then root. If you need help with rooting, write back. As to preference of ROM, I am a TouchWiz guy that loves inverted apps. Others like AOSP and swear by it. Just select the direction you want and hit the dev forum. There are many good ROMS from which to choose.

Good luck!

These were my main concerns:

4. Not voiding warranty.
#1 & #3 are what I need for function on a daily basis. I have never rooted before or flashed a ROM. I will gladly accept any advice you would offer.

Kj

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Then...

These were my main concerns:

#1 & #3 are what I need for function on a daily basis. I have never rooted before or flashed a ROM. I will gladly accept any advice you would offer.

Kj

Then if 1 & 3 are critical, and you understand that tripping Knox will make life more difficult inasmuch as you will not be sending your phone to Sammy for repairs, then root, install recovery, and install the Stockish DeOdex ROM from freeza's thread. There's a hotspot mod that is DeOdex that Josh Beach has made available on his Website for the entire community running KitKat.

Ultimately I cannot advise as to whether tripping Knox should be a concern for you. However, if it is your phone and not one provided for you by a company, and you're not going against an employer's policy against rooted devices, then tripping Knox is less of a big deal than some may make of it. I thought it was a terrible deal, and didn't buy this phone until I made the conscious decision to say screw it, tripping Knox is fine for me. I then, and only then, bought the phone.

There are a ton of ways to get your phone repaired, none of which require sending it to any manufacturer. I have 2 Sprint stores within 10 miles of me. Both will repair the phone or exchange it if I have a dysfunctional phone that has been rooted. Others on these forums have reported Sprint techs denying them service if Knox has been tripped. You need to make your own choice on this one.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Then if 1 & 3 are critical, and you understand that tripping Knox will make life more difficult inasmuch as you will not be sending your phone to Sammy for repairs, then root, install recovery, and install the Stockish DeOdex ROM from freeza's thread. There's a hotspot mod that is DeOdex that Josh Beach has made available on his Website for the entire community running KitKat.

Ultimately I cannot advise as to whether tripping Knox should be a concern for you. However, if it is your phone and not one provided for you by a company, and you're not going against an employer's policy against rooted devices, then tripping Knox is less of a big deal than some may make of it. I thought it was a terrible deal, and didn't buy this phone until I made the conscious decision to say screw it, tripping Knox is fine for me. I then, and only then, bought the phone.

There are a ton of ways to get your phone repaired, none of which require sending it to any manufacturer. I have 2 Sprint stores within 10 miles of me. Both will repair the phone or exchange it if I have a dysfunctional phone that has been rooted. Others on these forums have reported Sprint techs denying them service if Knox has been tripped. You need to make your own choice on this one.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

I have made my peace with the idea of voiding warranty. I talked to a Sprint store tech, and he said no one in the store even cares about Knox. If it breaks, bring it in, and they will fix it.

So my plan is to:
1)Upgrade via the OTA. File
2) root via one-click method
3) install the Stockish DeOdex ROM from freeza's thread
4) Install the hotspot mod that is DeOdex from Josh Beach's Website.

Sound good?

Kj

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Close, but Sligthly Altered...

I have made my peace with the idea of voiding warranty. I talked to a Sprint store tech, and he said no one in the store even cares about Knox. If it breaks, bring it in, and they will fix it.

So my plan is to:

Sound good?

Kj

You're close; I would amend it slightly (my comments as to what each stop give you as an outcome are adjacent each numbered item); also, the files you will need are embedded in the links below, so grab them prior to doing any of this)

1. Upgrade via OTA, since you're status is official
-->Let phone do it's stupid updating system garbage, blah blah, don't waste your time dialing in your GMail address, &c because you're going to be doing this again shortly
-->Gives you stock, unrooted phone up to the latest Sprint build for our phone
2. Install TWRP recovery for this phone version 2.7.0.0, flash via PC Odin (Version 3.07 is here if you like, works just fine)
-->Gives you the ability to flash a root file, or flash a pre-rooted rom, back up your phone setup, flash mods like the hotspot hack, &c.
-->Instructions basically are to power off your phone, take any casing off of the phone, right-click on the Odin.exe file, select run as administrator, hit OK/Yes from Windows User Account Control prompt, load the tar file I linked in the PDA slot of Odin, put your phone in download mode (Home + Volume Down + Power), plug the phone into the USB port on your computer that you've used in the past (this way the Samsung drivers for that device won't be loading while you're trying to get recovery on your device), have the phone in the palm of your hand, have your fingers ready to hit Home + Volume up, then hit start on Odin, once file flashes and phone starts to power cycle (like in 5-10 seconds after hitting start), hit those two buttons, you're in recovery
3 Download freeza's Stockish DeOdex NABD ROM from this link, put it on your phone's internal memory AFTER you've taken the upgrade to KitKat, check the MD5 of the file download using this tool, unzip onto your PC, execute the file named "MD5.exe," copy the MD5 for the ROM I linked into the top portion of the program (you'll see it, the button "Paste" is adjacent the text box), MD5=7d0749d2362d872ca8db7c524d25bf40, copy that and paste it into the MD5 file and make sure you have a clean download
-->You now have a ROM that you can fully set up your phone, import your contacts, download programs, flash mods, anything you want that is compatible
4. Flash the Hotspot Mod provided by Josh Beach at his K3 site, under MODS for NABD, hotspot link on this page
-->Gives you the hotspot mod you want

Have a blast!

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
You're close; I would amend it slightly (my comments as to what each stop give you as an outcome are adjacent each numbered item); also, the files you will need are embedded in the links below, so grab them prior to doing any of this)

-->Let phone do it's stupid updating system garbage, blah blah, don't waste your time dialing in your GMail address, &c because you're going to be doing this again shortly
2. Install TWRP recovery for this phone version 2.7.0.0, flash via PC Odin (Version 3.07 is here if you like, works just fine)
-->Gives you the ability to flash a root file, or flash a pre-rooted rom, back up your phone setup, flash mods like the hotspot hack, &c.
-->Instructions basically are to power off your phone, take any casing off of the phone, right-click on the Odin.exe file, select run as administrator, hit OK/Yes from Windows User Account Control prompt, load the tar file I linked in the PDA slot of Odin, put your phone in download mode (Home + Volume Down + Power), plug the phone into the USB port on your computer that you've used in the past (this way the Samsung drivers for that device won't be loading while you're trying to get recovery on your device), have the phone in the palm of your hand, have your fingers ready to hit Home + Volume up, then hit start on Odin, once file flashes and phone starts to power cycle (like in 5-10 seconds after hitting start), hit those two buttons, you're in recovery
3 Download freeza's Stockish DeOdex NABD ROM from this link, put it on your phone's internal memory AFTER you've taken the upgrade to KitKat, check the MD5 of the file download using this tool, unzip onto your PC, execute the file named "MD5.exe," copy the MD5 for the ROM I linked into the top portion of the program (you'll see it, the button "Paste" is adjacent the text box), MD5=7d0749d2362d872ca8db7c524d25bf40, copy that and paste it into the MD5 file and make sure you have a clean download
-->You now have a ROM that you can fully set up your phone, import your contacts, download programs, flash mods, anything you want that is compatible
4. Flash the Hotspot Mod provided by Josh Beach at his K3 site, under MODS for NABD, hotspot link on this page

Have a blast!
I want to thank you. This is the first easy-to-follow simple guide to rooting I have had to follow. It all went flawlessly. Stable as ever, and wireless works great!

Thank you very much!

Have a blast!

thanks for this thread OP and for this answer micmars. too bad i rooted before updating and now its blocked

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
thanks for this thread OP and for this answer micmars. too bad i rooted before updating and now its blocked

No problem at all. Actually, the answers to your setup are answered here as well, but this was tailored to someone whom hadn't rooted and could take the update

I see on your thread that someone got you running, which ultimately is what we like to hear (ie, you have what you want, and nothing less).

Congrats!

Reactions: Greatness83
No problem at all. Actually, the answers to your setup are answered here as well, but this was tailored to someone whom hadn't rooted and could take the update

I see on your thread that someone got you running, which ultimately is what we like to hear (ie, you have what you want, and nothing less).

Congrats!

Thanks. Indeed. It just kind of pointed me in the right direction. Now off to find a good kernel! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Close, but Sligthly Altered...

So my plan is to:

Sound good?

Kj

Have a blast!

4. Not voiding warranty.

Every Rom I've flashed for this phone has been at least as stable as stock if not more so.
    1. The rooting process for this phone is simple as can be, I haven't seen any reports of bricks.
    2. Hotspot working in pretty much all the TW Roms, not sure about CM
    3. Rooting voids warranty, Sprint will "USUALLY" fix it anyway
    Chainfire's one click root is the best way to go, all that does is give you root and you can stop there if you want to stay stock with root privileges. If you want a custom recovery so you can flash new Roms, that's another very simple step. Chainfire's thread gives you all the instruction you need. Hope this helps.
    Do it, and if you run into issues, plenty of people here to help you... When all else fails, search out The Mic...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Agree with number three ^^
    Is it a safe guess, that rooting wipes the phone?

Kj

Not at all. It injects stock kernel (I believe, may be recovery) and superuser app. That's it.