[GUIDE] How to ROOT your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 on a Mac / Linux PC using Heimdall

Search This thread

latetotheparty

Dec 19, 2013
For some reason I can't get passed the CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.tar.md5 file. I can't get to the recovery.img and the other file. What do I do?

Remix22

Aug 14, 2012
Only the apple archive utility could unzip the md5 file (Unrar X or Zip! could not, using 10.9),Very easy, thanks!

dale_cooper

Apr 5, 2010
Can someone tell me why you have to do the libusbx step? I'm trying to run cfautoroot for my note 10.1 2014 - heimdall is installed... In any other searches I do of heimdall, they don't talk about using libusbx... additionally I"m stumped on exactly how to do the libusbx, can someone provide specific direction as this "guide" is wide open.

ERROR: Partition "recovery" does not exist in the specified PIT.

OK, I had the same error as you. My problem was that I had not capitalized RECOVERY and CACHE ;) You MUST do it like this:
Code:
sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /Users/istrebitjel/Downloads/recovery.img --CACHE /Users/istrebitjel/Downloads/cache.img.ext4

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Any chance we can run Heimdall to root S4 from Tmobile kitkat update?
I just successfully ran this on my SGH-M191 on stock 4.4.2

Reactions: JohnnyV14

gradstudent

Jun 12, 2014
I need help

Device is Samsung Galacy SIII i9305

I put the device into download mode.
Then flash recovery and cache images untar from CF-AUTO root Samsung Galaxy i9300
It said that they were successfully flashed and device was rebooting.

Then red Android logo pop up and in seconds it was rebooting and ended up in Download mode.

What should I do?

Many thanks

nikkirox0721

Jan 10, 2015
How do I install libusbx? I downloaded the libusbx-1.0.18.tar.bz2 file from the website and it just unzipped to a bunch of jumbled files. Sorry, I'm new at all of this...:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to ROOT your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 on a Mac / Linux PC using Heimdall

Before you do ANYTHING, start here:
    Download and install Heimdall: http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/
    And Install libusbx: http://libusbx.org/

What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash firmware (aka ROMs) onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.

What is libusbx?
    libusbx is a library that provides generic access to USB devices. As a library, it is meant to be used by developers, to facilitate the production of applications that communicate with USB hardware.

Onto the magic..
    1. Download CF-Root by Chainfire here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294005

2. Unzip the file: CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.zip

3. Unzip the file called "CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.tar.md5" that is inside the original zip file.

4. You should end up with "recovery.img" and "cache.img.ext4" (Put them on your desktop or somewhere easy to navigate to!)

5. Put your phone into download mode. (Hold Volume down + Power + Home button)

6. Connect your phone to your computer.

6. Open your favorite Terminal program on your computer. (I use the stock Mac Terminal)

7. Run the following command:
    sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY *RECOVERY DIRECTORY* --CACHE *CACHE DIRECTORY*

NOTE: Replace *RECOVERY DIRECTORY* and *CACHE DIRECTORY* to the full path of where the file is on your computer!
    NOTE: --RECOVERY and --CACHE are CASE SENSITIVE!
    For example: heimdall flash --recovery C:\Users\user\Desktop\recovery.img --cache C:\Users\user\Desktop\cache.img.ext4

8. Your phone should reboot.

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

9. Done!

Note: This does not install a custom recovery, but you can download ROM Manager from the Play Store and install ClockworkMod Recovery using that. Alternatively, you can flash a recovery.img using the same way you flashed these two files. (heimdall flash --recovery *RECOVERY DIRECTORY*)

Getting an error?

If you receive this error message:
    Initialising connection…
    Detecting device…
    Claiming interface…
    ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

it’s because you have used the Samsung Kies software, which you should uninstall at once, but as it adds some kernel extensions, run this as well:

A. Launch Terminal
    B. Get Root and run these:

sudo sh
    kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite
    kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMData
    kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMControl

C. Try again!
    Would this also work if say...I bricked my phone?

I run windows virtualized on OpenSUSE, but the USB drivers for windows won't work in a virtual environ. I can never be too sure if I can get my hands on a windows PC.

You'd probably need to flash the whole Samsung Stock firmware not just the files I listed above, but yes, it should be possible, bud. :good:

If you want me to check it out for you and write a tutorial, I'll be more than happy to me.
    Just 3 big steps.
    1.Download and install Heimdall: http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/
    2. Install libusbx. You need to download the sources and compile them. Usual ./configure, make , make install.
    Use sudo su and then compile.
    you may have to do , sudo apt-get install libudev-dev before compiling the libusbx libs.
    3.Onto the magic..
    ..as said in post 1....
    Make sure to use sudo for the heimdall flash ...Needless to say use the caps.!

Then install cwm from the Google Play and then you are Golden.

Thank you again to theexel for quick replies thru my earlier posts.:good:
    Re: Noob help with installing libusbx?

Hi Guys,
    First off kudos and many thanks Exel for posting this. Also, sorry to bug you all with such a noob question but may I bother someone to post the exact commands/syntax for installing libusbx on/in mac os x 10.8.x? I've tried looking online and may not be using the right keywords to get the information I need.
    Thanks loads for all the help you guys,
    nv_gck

Hi Guys,
    Please ignore my last request. I figured it out from the INSTALL file in the libusbx source code. Also, I did it without installing the full Xcode IDE on my Mac, just the Xcode terminal tools. Have successfully rooted.
    Thanks again Exel
    ERROR: Partition "recovery" does not exist in the specified PIT.

OK, I had the same error as you. My problem was that I had not capitalized RECOVERY and CACHE ;) You MUST do it like this:
    Code:
    sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /Users/istrebitjel/Downloads/recovery.img --CACHE /Users/istrebitjel/Downloads/cache.img.ext4

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Any chance we can run Heimdall to root S4 from Tmobile kitkat update?
    I just successfully ran this on my SGH-M191 on stock 4.4.2