LG P999DW Diassembly and Screen bleeding fix...

Search This thread

george241312

Jan 3, 2010
Well I got Tired of the screen bleeding on my phone, so i disassembled it to see what was the problem.I noticed that there was a part of the dust filter surrounding the LCD, it was a little bumped up and when i would ever put pressure on that part of the screen there would be more screen bleeding(when it is assembled) so i scratched that part off and no more bleeding. sorry about my crappy camera...

Six screws to take off
DSCN0127-1.jpg

Back piece
DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

5 More Screws
asd.jpg

careful i almost broke it removing the mid frame
DSCN0124.jpg

Camera
DSCN0115.jpg

Sim and SD card reader with flash to remove it just pull it up.
DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

all ribbons required to be removed for motherboard extraction
DSCN0111.jpg

Mobo
DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

second mic piece
DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

after mobo removal
DSCN0104.jpg

Frame removed
DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

LCD assembly
DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

after LCD was taken out i took off a little piece off the dust filter...
Before
DSCN0092.jpg

After
DSCN0093.jpg

That was the exact same spot were i had the screen bleeding after i did this it was gone..

I hope this helped some people cuz i am finally happy with my phone.
you have to be experienced to do this if your a noob dont try it....
its not my fault of you break it......

Last edited:

richteralan

Aug 3, 2010
Hong Kong
Glad to see LG phones are easier to disassemble than HTC.

The first feeling when I trying to disassemble HTC is "WTF is this knock-offs made by China?"

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
You got balls OP. Kudos to you. Could you take a few pics of your bleed-free screen? :) I'm guessing you'd need it to be at 100% brightness.

george241312

Jan 3, 2010

~~Tito~~

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 30, 2007
Try a picture with it facing straight. For me at those angles screen bleed disappears and goes to a faint whimper.

fallen368

Apr 29, 2010
Good job! I had my theories about this same thing, but my screen bleed is minimal- much like yours is now. I had taken it apart to see if the internal memory was a micro sd, it isn't, lol. Very easy to take apart. Thank you for your awesome post.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Reactions: george241312

S0NiX0928

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks OP for that insightful tour (no sarcasm intended)... I love this sort of stuff (though am not experienced with it at all) and you laid it all out pretty well with your pics (not that I plan on attempting this or need to). Glad people like you contribute to the community. Thanks.

uploder

Jun 11, 2010
North FL
nice write up! although I am pretty handy and have taken a ps3 apart and put back together numerous times i dont think ill be trying this lol. my screen bleed is minimal as it is, no need to risk it :p

mmapcpro

Jun 13, 2011
DuPont, WA
If my girlfriend want pregnant, I would have the tool bag out already, lol...gotta save the pennies now, hehe

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

ickster

Feb 12, 2011
North Texas
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to take pictures AND posting them!
This will be very helpful for a lot of people.
Maybe it should be stickyed?

smashpunks

Aug 6, 2010
Portland
awesome write up op. I hit the thanks.

Also, you think breaking it down all that way I could clean the screen? I got one piece of dust that If I attempted this I would like to clean. Although my screen bleed isn't even noticable and wouldnt do it for that. lol id like to try this just for the dust.?

~~Tito~~

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 30, 2007
Try pictures with no light, facing straight on. I am not doubting I just want to see a clear picture.

tombaker1

May 14, 2011
I hit thanks, and thanks again for the great assembly pictures.

I can not really see the backlight on any of your pictures. But I read that you say its fixed. This is very interesting, because it sounds like its a clear piece part issue.

I think the back-light issue is overblown, but it sounds like if LG used a better quality of foam siding, smaller bubbles with less pressure, that the entire problem could be resolved. So some product engineers signed off on the bill of materials instead of looking for a better supplier of foam. Poor guys in the factory are assembling a perfect job, but the parts given don't work to proper specification.

Your experiment is a great proof of concept....only concern is if actual dust would become an issue over time with this fix.

Thanks again.

PS, as an aside when the EPA required that NASA remove CFCs in the manufacturer of the foam for the Space Shuttle, it was the reformulated Foam that caused it to break off due to icing. After all the original engineering, they decided to use a new mixture, and that caused the damage to ceramic titles. FOAM of all things...and just because of the small amount of CFCs used....not like it was hair spray.....

Last edited:

slickerxcuh

Feb 4, 2009
Rosemead
holy crap man props to you for doing this, i remember disassembling my dell mini 10v to upgrade the ram, wow that was a terrible experience... never gonna open up another electrical device like that again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I got Tired of the screen bleeding on my phone, so i disassembled it to see what was the problem.I noticed that there was a part of the dust filter surrounding the LCD, it was a little bumped up and when i would ever put pressure on that part of the screen there would be more screen bleeding(when it is assembled) so i scratched that part off and no more bleeding. sorry about my crappy camera...

Six screws to take off
    DSCN0127-1.jpg

Back piece
    DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

5 More Screws
    asd.jpg

careful i almost broke it removing the mid frame
    DSCN0124.jpg

Camera
    DSCN0115.jpg

Sim and SD card reader with flash to remove it just pull it up.
    DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

all ribbons required to be removed for motherboard extraction
    DSCN0111.jpg

Mobo
    DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

second mic piece
    DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

after mobo removal
    DSCN0104.jpg

Frame removed
    DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

LCD assembly
    DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

after LCD was taken out i took off a little piece off the dust filter...
    Before
    DSCN0092.jpg

After
    DSCN0093.jpg

That was the exact same spot were i had the screen bleeding after i did this it was gone..

I hope this helped some people cuz i am finally happy with my phone.
    you have to be experienced to do this if your a noob dont try it....
    its not my fault of you break it......
    Good job! I had my theories about this same thing, but my screen bleed is minimal- much like yours is now. I had taken it apart to see if the internal memory was a micro sd, it isn't, lol. Very easy to take apart. Thank you for your awesome post.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i stripped one of the screws in the first set of six trying to get the case opened :banghead:. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

Very tiny tap and die.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but i stripped one of the screws in the first set of six trying to get the case opened :banghead:. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Superglue a screwdriver tip into the stripped screw let it dry for a bit and turn I've done this a couple times it usually works

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

There are special drill bits named screw extractors ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001A4CWHO )for removing stripped screws and bolts. The screw extractor taps into the stripped screw which are used with a variable speed drill running in reverse at very very low speed or, better yet, use a manual tap handle. An alternative to the special drill bit is a reverse spiral drill bit which is meant to be used with a drill running in reverse. The drill bit has to be made of harder steel than the material being drilled so make sure it is titanium.

Here's some methods:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

EDIT:

I just found this which may be the best tool for what you need to do:

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piece-Extractor-Reversible-Driver/dp/B000JCT3W0/ref=pd_cp_hi_2