Search This thread

randomforumname

Mar 6, 2012
Hey OP

Great app you have going on, just wanted to let you know that in

"Word with friends free"

and

"Draw something free"

Ads are appearing, in words it appears after you make a turn, and in draw something a video displays after you make a turn (didn't do this previously so they must have just updated)

Ads from the menus are gone though

Just wondering, how exactly does TCdump work, I reboot my phone to flush cache, launch adfree w/ dump and then go to app with the ad, and once it plays go back to that and view the log and I can add it to a global list or my own personal list? Not exactly sure how to do it

Thanks again!

ygvuhb

Jul 13, 2010
2 Q

1. how to find out the correct link i should block in app's adv

2. how to share the adv link and update database for everyone, just put link here?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anderson2

bolt_of_thunder

Mar 18, 2011
Astro file manager and draw something free

Astro file manager and draw something free

Both of these apps still display ads. Thunderbolt on thundershed 1.4 CM7

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
It would rreally help us if someone would explain how to determine the url from which the ads are coming so they can be blocked. I still get ads on some apps and would like to help by finding the url to block but do not know how.
Please help.
Newsbook and some others still have ads.

chrisman99

Feb 4, 2010
angry birds seasons still has adds and draw something which up until today did not have any now suddenly it has and it now sucks.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
As I had previously indicated, if one of the experts would just tell us how to find the url sending out the ads, we could contribute to the effort and help ourselves and everybody.

Any of the experts willing to do so? ;)

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
If you use TiBu, copy all three files to your TiBu folder then restore from within the TiBu app. I get no ads in any app, period.

http://min.us/mdmJhgxH8

Saved and Texan by the grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Last edited:

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
Who wants to be the first to try this? lol

Sent from my Thundershed

If you'd rather, I could just provide you with the hosts file, but it without the whitelist I've created w/in the app in the TiBu archive, causes certain and particularly frustrating problems.

Do as you wish, just trying to help. ;)

adam2new

Feb 19, 2010
For those getting ads that are already in the blocklist, make sure you have done the following:
1. open Play Store (or supporting Android Market) app
2. press MENU > SETTINGS
3. if the setting Google Admob is checked, uncheck it.

But please, for me (and others), someone verify if this setting should be checked.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk (GetJar version)

pauley

May 28, 2010
Not auto updating on ICS?

Is anyone else having a problem of the hosts not auto updating on ICS 4.03? I have the HTC Vivid and they haven't updated themselves the last few times since I upgraded from gingerbread. It works great otherwise as always, haven't seen 1 ad in apps or websites.

My settings are:
✔Check server for updates daily
✔Automatically apply updates

✔Custom IP - 0.0.0.0

chrisman99

Feb 4, 2010
Disabled Google admob, updated hosts file, rebooted... still have ads in draw something and angrybirds :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

thebrainkafka

Apr 12, 2011
Did not block adds anymore! Everything updated, google admob disabled. Even simlink did not work.
Could be since updating to google play?

Any advice?

Thx

Scudderb

Aug 11, 2010
FL
If you use TiBu, copy all three files to your TiBu folder then restore from within the TiBu app. I get no ads in any app, period.

http://min.us/mdmJhgxH8

Interesting....was wondering why this worked (for you) and you found out/figured it out?? Just trying to understand what this process does to help...

Also, what files are you referring to when you say "all three files"...??

THANKS!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find the latest version of this app on the slideme app store.

http://slideme.org/application/adfree

This is the old thread, I started a new thread in the general section => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40759351

================================================================================================================================================

Spoiled by ad free browsing on my normal desktop computer it became increasingly annoying seeing all the ads on my phone. However it's really easy to make them disappear, although you most likely will need root on the phone.

Download the hosts.txt file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt, you may need to run dos2unix over the file to remote \r characters, rename the file hosts and copy it to /system/etc on your phone and say goodbye to most ads.

You may find the list to be imperfect, for example some feedburner URLs are "blocked" as a result which can screw with RSS feeds, although it's annoying giving too much info to Google but like everything else in life some things are a trade off.

If you want to root your phone, try this article.
    I'm getting a fatal error saying that my copy is too old, I'm using latest version from market/play store 8.44

I've been dreading this day since my hdd was wiped a while back, I've uploaded a new version using a new signing key 0.8.45, but you'll need to remove the current version first.
    I really would like to see Adfree in another store like FDroid!!

Cheers.!

I was uploading to slideme.org until I had issues with old signing keys being lost.

For people wanting the current version I uploaded the apk file to the website: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    new Ad blocker

Hi folks,

I have released my own hosts-based ad blocker named AdAway, it can be found on the market with the following features:

• AdAway is Open Source
    • AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
    • You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if some apps are not working with ads disabled
    • You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist

Market: market.android.com/details?id=org.adaway
    Source: gitorious.org/adaway

I would like to hear suggestions and ideas for possible future releases. Please look into the Issue tracker before and add your suggestions there: code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
    Here, a quick edit of the host file to fix the Words with Friends and Medscape. Just copy and paste it into "/system/etc" and overwrite the host file or wherever your host file is located.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mda7sx9eovfkh03

If you wanna do this yourself, use a text editor like Notepad++ and just remove any references to server that's being overlayed in Words With Friends and any references to Medscape.