[Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Search This thread

scsa20

Apr 7, 2011
Mars
www.scsa20.com
i followed the steps and after everything is done it says i am rooted in clockwerk, but when i restart and install titanium backup, it says i am not rooted?
Sounds like you didn't flash the xoom root zip file. Make sure that the xoom root zip file is on your sd card and boot back into clockwork recovery, choose to install from a zip file and choose that zip file to flash it. After it's done flashing you should be good to go.

banny7000

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you solarnz,so easy to do....to think I was coming out in sweats thinking about getting it wrong

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

tremblingwater

Jul 24, 2010
London
hello,
Hope this ist too newb like but I've just got my XOOM and would like to root, its from the uk and it is wifi only. Can I use this to root? Ive seen there is a thread for these units but this seems better explained, or is this only for u.s versions?

Thank you

banny7000

Dec 27, 2010
hello,
Hope this ist too newb like but I've just got my XOOM and would like to root, its from the uk and it is wifi only. Can I use this to root? Ive seen there is a thread for these units but this seems better explained, or is this only for u.s versions?

Thank you

This works on any xoom like it says,mine was UK wifi 3.1 rooted it with this yesterday,now I'm running tiamat with 3.2.....love it!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

tr4zz0id

Apr 5, 2011
Singapore
Finally!

I was unsure about all this, because every rooting method had different compatibility issues. Then I saw THIS. I'm now rooted and love it. Thanks so much for making it easy for everyone to get on the train to awesomeness.
:D

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
instructions could be better to be honest, I am still not winning, when I flash the image it sats writing recovery OKAY but when I boot I get no recovery options, just fast, rsd. What am I doing wrong here.

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
instructions could be better to be honest, I am still not winning, when I flash the image it sats writing recovery OKAY but when I boot I get no recovery options, just fast, rsd. What am I doing wrong here.

When you see the dual core logo wait for 1-2 seconds and then hit the volume down key, and then hit the volume up key to select the recovery menu. Give it a few seconds and you will then boot into the recovery menu.

Alternatively: Download the Quick Boot app to access the recovery menu easily while the Xoom is already on. Just select boot into recovery.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I think you are allowing the stock recovery to overwrite your new solarnz recovery.
You have to time it just right. Here's some help (in blue), I hope:

4. Install recovery image (CWM)

If you haven't done it already, download the recovery image file and save it to your computer in the Platform Tools folder.

(Download the recovery image from this link: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1074979 only the img file flashed through fastboot Remember, never try to flash a zip file through fastboot!)

4.1 Boot into flash mode with 'adb reboot bootloader.'

4.2 Install your downloaded recovery image: 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-100611-1150.img' or whatever is the exact name of the recovery img file you are flashing.

4.3 Restart the device with 'fastboot reboot'. Timing is essential here, so be alert when the device restarts, or you will have to redo section 4.

4.4 Enter CWM recovery with the following procedure.

4.5 Once the Motorola logotype is shown, start counting to 3. At 3, press the Volume Down button. This should result in the text 'Android Recovery' in the top left corner. If it does not work, experiment with the timing (see below).

4.6 When 'Android Recovery' is shown press the Volume Up button. This should invoke the CWM recovery menu. If that works, then congratulations for getting this far!

Here is a potential pitfall. If you are unable to enter CWM *before* the device boots into Honeycomb, then the newly installed recovery image will be overwritten by the system default recovery. Just repeat steps 4.1 through 4.6 if that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: da.trute and cfh

rohit3192

Jul 26, 2011
alternate way to enter recovery:
as you flashed recovery it means you are connected with pc through usb cable.
after fastboot reboot let xoom reboot.
once booted check that usb debugging is on.
in cmd type adb reboot recovery.
to all having problem with android sdk:
fastboot is in "tools" folder and adb is in platform-tools folder.
copy contents of platform-tools to "tools" folder.
Let the location of tools folder,say,C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
in cmd type: cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
now you can run adb as well as fastboot commands without switching folders.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfh

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
are you sure this has been properly tested on UK wifi 3.1, I followed the steps religiously last night and couldn't get recovery to show up on boot, however it did seem to be there as I was able to adb recovery into it. This suggests the boot image didnt take properly maybe, anyway I managed to totally, yes totally brick my xoom last night flashing and reflashing. I managed to get a ROM on at one point and then it stuck at boot loop. I then tried to flash boot image again which is where it finally said enough is enough and stuck and RSM mode 3 which means its dead. Luckily I have only had a day so I can take it back as "faulty". Can anyone else confirm they have rooted their 32 gig uk wifi xoom on 3.1 with no issues - if so did you do anything different to that stated in the instructions?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

I think you are allowing the stock recovery to overwrite your new solarnz recovery.
You have to time it just right. Here's some help (in blue), I hope:

4. Install recovery image (CWM)

If you haven't done it already, download the recovery image file and save it to your computer in the Platform Tools folder.

(Download the recovery image from this link: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1074979 only the img file flashed through fastboot Remember, never try to flash a zip file through fastboot!)

4.1 Boot into flash mode with 'adb reboot bootloader.'

4.2 Install your downloaded recovery image: 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-100611-1150.img' or whatever is the exact name of the recovery img file you are flashing.

4.3 Restart the device with 'fastboot reboot'. Timing is essential here, so be alert when the device restarts, or you will have to redo section 4.

4.4 Enter CWM recovery with the following procedure.

4.5 Once the Motorola logotype is shown, start counting to 3. At 3, press the Volume Down button. This should result in the text 'Android Recovery' in the top left corner. If it does not work, experiment with the timing (see below).

4.6 When 'Android Recovery' is shown press the Volume Up button. This should invoke the CWM recovery menu. If that works, then congratulations for getting this far!

Here is a potential pitfall. If you are unable to enter CWM *before* the device boots into Honeycomb, then the newly installed recovery image will be overwritten by the system default recovery. Just repeat steps 4.1 through 4.6 if that happens.

I am picking up a new XOOM tonight and so I will try this method, thanks

rohit3192

Jul 26, 2011
are you sure this has been properly tested on UK wifi 3.1, I followed the steps religiously last night and couldn't get recovery to show up on boot, however it did seem to be there as I was able to adb recovery into it. This suggests the boot image didnt take properly maybe, anyway I managed to totally, yes totally brick my xoom last night flashing and reflashing. I managed to get a ROM on at one point and then it stuck at boot loop. I then tried to flash boot image again which is where it finally said enough is enough and stuck and RSM mode 3 which means its dead. Luckily I have only had a day so I can take it back as "faulty". Can anyone else confirm they have rooted their 32 gig uk wifi xoom on 3.1 with no issues - if so did you do anything different to that stated in the instructions?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

I am picking up a new XOOM tonight and so I will try this method, thanks
May I know from where flashing boot image came into picture?
If you were restoring xoom to stock did you double checked that custom recovery image was removed from tools folder?
Seems you messed up files.

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
May I know from where flashing boot image came into picture?
If you were restoring xoom to stock did you double checked that custom recovery image was removed from tools folder?
Seems you messed up files.

I wasnt restoring stock, it unlocked ok, CMR install said it ran through ok but I couldnt get into CMR at all, nada no matter what I pressed. However I could get into CMR through adb recovery so I flashed Tiamat ROM from there. I then got stuck in a book loop. It was suggested by someone that I should reflash the boot image which totally fecked it, el brickio..! Now stuck at RSD mode 3 with no flash boot and no connection to PC try flash SBF.

rohit3192

Jul 26, 2011
I wasnt restoring stock, it unlocked ok, CMR install said it ran through ok but I couldnt get into CMR at all, nada no matter what I pressed. However I could get into CMR through adb recovery so I flashed Tiamat ROM from there. I then got stuck in a book loop. It was suggested by someone that I should reflash the boot image which totally fecked it, el brickio..! Now stuck at RSD mode 3 with no flash boot and no connection to PC try flash SBF.
Do not know who gave you advice to flash boot image.
Flash 4 files(.img files in official motorola) together to get back to stock and do not mix up with any other .img file(eg custom recovery)
Mathematically:
custom recovery+ custom rom+stock boot image=brick(soft or hard depends on your luck)
see what you have done.

Last edited:

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
no, I reflashed the custom boot image not the stock image, I hadn't downloaded that, unless I did and didn't realise, hard to say what went wrong to be honest, I am going to organise myself better next time. I wish the xoom had something like ODIN, oh lovely ODIN, why doesn't every mobile device have an odin, ummm ODIN love.

rohit3192

Jul 26, 2011
^^
You need Android sdk(+update to platform tools)
Java DKit
Official moto zip file(containing 4 img files) to get back to stock
or
root zip(for rooting stock rom)
custom recovery in.img format
custom rom
custom kernel
for flashing custom rom/kernel
(of course PC :D )
Is it complicated?

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
^^
You need Android sdk(+update to platform tools)
Java DKit
Official moto zip file(containing 4 img files) to get back to stock
or
root zip(for rooting stock rom)
custom recovery in.img format
custom rom
custom kernel
for flashing custom rom/kernel
(of course PC :D )
Is it complicated?[/Q

Nevermind.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
    Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
    Download the zip file from here.
    Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
    3. Flashing recovery
    1. Download this Recovery image.
    2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot reboot

3. Flash recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
    Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
    Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
    If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
    Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
    Universal Xoom root - version 1.0
    thanks for this working on my Dad's MZ600

btw I uploaded the Universal Root it seems all links here are broken :)
    This was also tested on a 4G Xoom and is working 100%.
    I've updated the zip file with a ICS compatible su binary.
    I haven't tested personally but it should work.