[Q] Stuff is harder to find for sgh i747m

Search This thread

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
Hi im new on this forum and I would like to have some tricks and tips cause I just rooted my phone yesterday and it seems more difficult to find information for my phone I have a galaxy s3 on 4.3 sgh i747m with Rogers .... Is it me or there is just a lot more stuff made for the i9300... I have tried to find ROM'S and tricks to put CWM recovery but it's harder to find information !!

to put CWM recovery I saw a lot of stuff saying download rom manager and install CWM recovery with this app but they offer me a version of CWM recovery for a galaxy s3 (metro cps) they doesn't say if it's made for a sgh i747 so im really scared to do something wrong if I install this version of CWM recovery ..

Could some one help me maybe with website limks or a guide for beginers noob like me or this forum seem's to be really good with some people with knowledge

Before my galaxy s3 I had a Jailbreak Iphone 3gs a year ago but Rooting an Android and putting stuff on it is not really the same thing it's far away from it!

Thebyker

Feb 10, 2014
Hey,

I am running CM11 d2att and CWM d2att on my i747m and it works perfectly. It has been so long since I did it that I can't remember the exact steps that I took, so I would do some more research. Everything I needed to know was on these forums somewhere.
I believe the rough steps I took were:
- Root
- Install CWM (d2att)
- Update bootloaders (i747m)
- Flash d2att rom

But I can't remember exactly, so do some research before you go ahead!

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
You can install pretty much whatever you'll find in these forums except for bootloaders and modems.
There are specific bootloaders/modem for the i747m vs. i747.

The rest, unless explicitely specified otherwise, is 100% compatible between i747 and i747m.

As for your recovery script, I would suggest installing TWRP instead of CWM.
TWRP is more user friendly for people that are new to Android and both are usually supported.

For this, go to the Play Store, download and install the "Goo manager" application.
Once installed, open up the app, hit the menu button and select the "install recovery script" option.
It will automatically select/download/install the correct recovery for your phone and ask you to confirm before doing so. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: carlosQC

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
You can install pretty much whatever you'll find in these forums except for bootloaders and modems.

The rest, unless explicitely specified otherwise, is 100% compatible between i747 and i747m.

TWRP is more user friendly for people that are new to Android and both are usually supported.

For this, go to the Play Store, download and install the "Goo manager" application.
Once installed, open up the app, hit the menu button and select the "install recovery script" option.
It will automatically select/download/install the correct recovery for your phone and ask you to confirm before doing so. ;)

Ok thank you thats what I was wondering it doesn't matter if it's an at&t, bell or rogers... but it have to be the right model !!

Your talking about bootloader ... when I rooted my phone I have unlock my bootloader right ?? What is the advantage of changing your bootloader ....do you have to change it when you put a custom rom's?? Maybe my question have no sense at all because im new to this but I keep reading a lot of stuff on android !

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Ok thank you thats what I was wondering it doesn't matter if it's an at&t, bell or rogers... but it have to be the right model !!

Your talking about bootloader ... when I rooted my phone I have unlock my bootloader right ?? What is the advantage of changing your bootloader ....do you have to change it when you put a custom rom's?? Maybe my question have no sense at all because im new to this but I keep reading a lot of stuff on android !

I recommend not updating your phone to any stock 4.3 ROM. A stock 4.3 ROM will install a 4.3 bootloader which cannot be downgraded and may cause problems when trying to root or get back to stock.

Some newer ROMs require an updated bootloader in order to install and boot. I am running a 4.1.2 bootloader on my i747m and don't have any problems installing 4.4.2 ROMs.

Rooting gives you access to the system files and does not unlock you bootloader.

For installing custom ROMs, I use Philz Touch which is based on CWM. I have tried TWRP and I was getting errors when flashing custom ROMs. I was able to flash the same ROM using Philz Touch without a problem. TWRP is more user friendly but doesn't work as well for me.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
I recommend not updating your phone to any stock 4.3 ROM. A stock 4.3 ROM will install a 4.3 bootloader which cannot be downgraded and may cause problems when trying to root or get back to stock.

Some newer ROMs require an updated bootloader in order to install and boot. I am running a 4.1.2 bootloader on my i747m and don't have any problems installing 4.4.2 ROMs.

Rooting gives you access to the system files and does not unlock you bootloader.

For installing custom ROMs, I use Philz Touch which is based on CWM. I have tried TWRP and I was getting errors when flashing custom ROMs. I was able to flash the same ROM using Philz Touch without a problem. TWRP is more user friendly but doesn't work as well for me.

what do you mean when you say I recommend not updating your phone to any stock 4.3 ROM (when a custom rom is based on 4.3?) and can you explain me the bootloader thing in details how can I fix that or how can I unlock it ?

what is d2att ?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
what do you mean when you say I recommend not updating your phone to any stock 4.3 ROM (when a custom rom is based on 4.3?) and can you explain me the bootloader thing in details how can I fix that or how can I unlock it ?

what is d2att ?

Your post says youhave 4.3 on your phone. Is it a stock 4.3 ROM?

d2att (i747) is the AT&T version of the s3. Canada has the i747m.

The bootloader does not need to be unlocked in order to install a custom recovery or to root like Motorola phones.

The bootloader is software that an OS works with in order to function as a phone.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
Your post says youhave 4.3 on your phone. Is it a stock 4.3 ROM?

d2att (i747) is the AT&T version of the s3. Canada has the i747m.

The bootloader does not need to be unlocked in order to install a custom recovery or to root like Motorola phones.

The bootloader is software that an OS works with in order to function as a phone.

yes its the 4.3 jelly bean stock rom

but can I put any custom rom for my model the i747 or 747m ? The carrier doesn't have any importance ?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Any warranty left on your phone? Installing a custom ROM will void your warranty.

If you want to install a custom rom, copy the ROM you want to the internal or external SD card, install Philz Touch recovery, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, install the ROM, and reboot.

You can install any ROM for the d2att as long as the ROM supports the phone's bootloader.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
How I know which bootloader I got? If I have the 4.3 jelly bean I have a 4.3 boot loader?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
Any warranty left on your phone? Installing a custom ROM will void your warranty.

If you want to install a custom rom, copy the ROM you want to the internal or external SD card, install Philz Touch recovery, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, install the ROM, and reboot.

You can install any ROM for the d2att as long as the ROM supports the phone's bootloader.

How I know which bootloader I got? If I have the 4.3 jelly bean I have a 4.3 boot loader?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Since you have TWRP installed, you not flash custom ROMs. Look around for a ROM you like, download it to your phone's SD card, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, flash ROM, reboot.

Last edited:

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
Since you have TWRP installed, you can not flash custom ROMs. Look around for a ROM you like, download it to your phone's SD card, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, flash ROM, reboot.

He meant you CAN flash custom roms.

As long as the rom isn't packaged with a modem or bootloader you can flash any AT&T rom as you please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Of you loaded a stock 4.3 ROM, you'll have the 4.3 bootloader.