Cricket GB, ICS, JB, KK Fix for Samsung Epic 4G (MMS Working)

Search This thread

cornaljoe

screenshot2012051120542.png
screenshot2012051121093.png

Code:
[B][U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 9[/COLOR][/U]:[/B] Download attached below.
- Fixed detect script
- Fixed KK APN config

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 8[/COLOR][/U]:
- Added support for KK and JB 4.3

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 7[/COLOR][/U]:
- Added support for GB
- Removed JB and ICS specific battery tweaks

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 6[/COLOR][/U]:
- Fixed detect script
- Updated Mms.apks with a dark theme

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 5[/COLOR][/U]:
- Added support for JB 4.2
- Updated to detect Android version and flash proper Mms.apk
- Updated to remove MTD requirement
- Updated to support split SMS messages
- Renamed APNs to reflect Cricket plan changes

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 4[/COLOR][/U]:
- Updated instructions

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 3[/COLOR][/U]:
- Updated for ICS and JB ROMs
- Added tweaks for better battery life

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 2[/COLOR][/U]:
- Updated to CM9 RC1

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE[/COLOR][/U]:
- Updated to CM9 Beta4
- Added $55 plan option to APNs

After months on Cricket with sketchy MMS I've finally gotten it to work with tons of research and trail and error. This fix will detect the version of Android and flash the appropriate files. Thanks goes to the great CM devs and other users/devs of XDA including jpond83, mucus_android, brooksyx, UBER, and tommytomatoe for making this possible.

NOTE:
- Your phone must already be flashed to Cricket service. Refer to this great guide by terinfire here: The Samsung Epic 4G Flashing Guide
- Your phone must be rooted and have a GB, ICS, JB, or KK ROM (ie CM7, CM9, CM10, MIUIv4, AOKP, PA1.5/1.99, etc) released on the Epic. Once you setup your preferred ROM you should be set to flash this fix.
- This fix was designed for the Epic 4G but may work on other phones. Flash at your own risk.

Instructions:

:Before Flashing:
1. Download fix included in the attachment below.
2. Make a backup of your current setup with recovery in case something goes wrong.
3. Follow the directions to setup your preferred ROM. Refer to your ROMs thread for questions. Make sure your ROM is flashed and working before continuing.
-This includes flashing other mods (ie NS4G patch, etc.)

:Setting up the APN for MMS:
Cricket has two types of plans: $45 Value and $50+ Smart plans. The $45 plan requires different APN settings than the Smartphone plans so make sure you know which plan you're on. Each APN is labeled to prevent confusion. I recommended using steps 1-3 for the best results. If you are not comfortable with editing the xml manually you can skip to step 4.

1. Using a PC add your number to the Cricket APN by opening the fix attached below and going to optional/(?)flash/system/etc/apns-config.xml.
-(?) gb: for GB ij: for ICS, JB kk: for KK
-You can do this using a file manager such as Winzip or 7zip. I recommend 7zip.
2. Remove this file from the zip and edit the "user" section "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number. You can do this by dragging it out into your desktop or right clicking it and choose "Extract". Use a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad to edit the file. I recommend Wordpad.
- Ex. 555-555-5555 will be "5555555555@mycricket.com".
3. Overwrite the modified file with the one in the zip by dragging it back into the zip and then save the changes.

4. Copy the fix to your sdcard and flash using recovery and reboot.
5. Once your ROM boots. Confirm the flash worked by checking the Lockscreen or Pulldown Bar. If the Carrier says "Cricket" the flash was successful.
6. Goto Apps->Voice Dailer. Using the Voice Dailer and say "Open A-P-N". Choose "Open APN".
- Note to users of JB 4.2: The voicer dailer is broken at the moment. To access the APN settings menu add a shortcut to your homescreen at Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->APNs. This option is not included in the stock Trebuchet launcher so download one from the app store. I recommend Apex.
7. There should be two options: 45Value and 50Smart. There will be a small selection circle on the right side of each APN. Click this circle to set your APN depending on your plan. Once the circle highlights the APN is set.
8. Open the APNs settings by clicking on the left side of the APN.
9. Scroll down to "Username". If you didn't follow steps 1-3 change "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number.
10. Click menu then hit save. Once its saved reboot the phone and everything should be set.

You can test MMS by opening up the messaging app and sending yourself a MMS. Sending may take awhile so don't worry if it's not working right away. Once it's sent you should receive a notification to download the MMS. If you are sure it's not working (freezes at Sending... or never downloads the MMS message) reflash the fix and then try again. Don't forget to check the APN is set properly (steps 6-10).

:Note to daily flashers:
If you like to try out new ROMs (ie Nightlies, updates, etc.) I recommend following steps 1-3 as you will only have to do this once. Once you have MMS working if you want to update or change ROMs all you have to do is flash the new ROM then the fix. You shouldn't have to change anything in the APN menu as Android will save it for you. The settings will be passed to the new ROM as long as your old data is compatible.

Last edited:

cornaljoe

55 android, im going to try applying the mms fix and see what that does.....what modem and prl are you using?

I'm on the $45 plan with FC09 modem and using the hybrid 49016Cricket/60683Sprint PRL. I believe if you are on the $55 Android plan the proxy info isn't needed in the APN. Just delete this like show below and you should be good to go.

Name: Cricket
APN: Cricket
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: XXXXXXX@mycricket.com
Password: cricket
Server: wap.mycricket.com
MMSC: http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy: not set
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 310
MNC: 016
Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP
APN type: default,mms

I can't test this so let me know if it works. If so I'll add it to the apns-config.

Last edited:

thadialeckt

Oct 11, 2010
Louisville
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm on the $45 plan with FC09 modem and using the hybrid 49016Cricket/60683Sprint PRL. I believe if you are on the $55 Android plan the proxy info isn't needed in the APN. Just delete this like show below and you should be good to go.

Server: wap.mycricket.com

I can't test this so let me know if it works. If so I'll add it to the apns-config.

didnt work

cornaljoe

I got it to receive. But can't send

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OK looks like we're almost there. Try switching the server address to the MMS proxy in the APN like shown below.

Server: not set
MMS Proxy: wap.mycricket.com

If that doesn't work set the MMS proxy to not set also. Remember to reboot and test the APN changes then if MMS still doesn't work flash the MMS Fix and try to send an MMS again. Do this each time you change the APN.

Once the correct settings for the $55 plan are found I will add it to the apns-config as an option.

Last edited:

army_one17

Jan 28, 2010
mms sending and incoming working on 55 android plan

I opened the cricket apn in voice dialer and i checked the point for set and use the apn because if u check it after that u edit it the apn revert to the same info like stock.
I removed the proxy and port info, edit my number and remove the mms proxy info also, the rest i leave the same.
then i flashed in recovery the cricket mms fix,zip attached and now i have mms working pretty fine.
Im in 55 android plan.
Thanks and appreciate to everybody for the contribution to have a fully cricket samsung epic.

cornaljoe

I opened the cricket apn in voice dialer and i checked the point for set and use the apn because if u check it after that u edit it the apn revert to the same info like stock.
I removed the proxy and port info, edit my number and remove the mms proxy info also, the rest i leave the same.
then i flashed in recovery the cricket mms fix,zip attached and now i have mms working pretty fine.
Im in 55 android plan.
Thanks and appreciate to everybody for the contribution to have a fully cricket samsung epic.

So the settings are as follows?

Server: not set

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Rather than an entirely different ROM, would you like to collaborate in order to make Cricket work automatically on CM9?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screenshot2012051120542.png
    screenshot2012051121093.png

Code:
    [B][U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 9[/COLOR][/U]:[/B] Download attached below.
    - Fixed detect script
    - Fixed KK APN config

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 8[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for KK and JB 4.3

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 7[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for GB
    - Removed JB and ICS specific battery tweaks

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 6[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Fixed detect script
    - Updated Mms.apks with a dark theme

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 5[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for JB 4.2
    - Updated to detect Android version and flash proper Mms.apk
    - Updated to remove MTD requirement
    - Updated to support split SMS messages
    - Renamed APNs to reflect Cricket plan changes

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 4[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated instructions

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 3[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated for ICS and JB ROMs
    - Added tweaks for better battery life

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 2[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated to CM9 RC1

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated to CM9 Beta4
    - Added $55 plan option to APNs

After months on Cricket with sketchy MMS I've finally gotten it to work with tons of research and trail and error. This fix will detect the version of Android and flash the appropriate files. Thanks goes to the great CM devs and other users/devs of XDA including jpond83, mucus_android, brooksyx, UBER, and tommytomatoe for making this possible.

NOTE:
    - Your phone must already be flashed to Cricket service. Refer to this great guide by terinfire here: The Samsung Epic 4G Flashing Guide
    - Your phone must be rooted and have a GB, ICS, JB, or KK ROM (ie CM7, CM9, CM10, MIUIv4, AOKP, PA1.5/1.99, etc) released on the Epic. Once you setup your preferred ROM you should be set to flash this fix.
    - This fix was designed for the Epic 4G but may work on other phones. Flash at your own risk.

Instructions:

:Before Flashing:
    1. Download fix included in the attachment below.
    2. Make a backup of your current setup with recovery in case something goes wrong.
    3. Follow the directions to setup your preferred ROM. Refer to your ROMs thread for questions. Make sure your ROM is flashed and working before continuing.
    -This includes flashing other mods (ie NS4G patch, etc.)

:Setting up the APN for MMS:
    Cricket has two types of plans: $45 Value and $50+ Smart plans. The $45 plan requires different APN settings than the Smartphone plans so make sure you know which plan you're on. Each APN is labeled to prevent confusion. I recommended using steps 1-3 for the best results. If you are not comfortable with editing the xml manually you can skip to step 4.

1. Using a PC add your number to the Cricket APN by opening the fix attached below and going to optional/(?)flash/system/etc/apns-config.xml.
    -(?) gb: for GB ij: for ICS, JB kk: for KK
    -You can do this using a file manager such as Winzip or 7zip. I recommend 7zip.
    2. Remove this file from the zip and edit the "user" section "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number. You can do this by dragging it out into your desktop or right clicking it and choose "Extract". Use a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad to edit the file. I recommend Wordpad.
    3. Overwrite the modified file with the one in the zip by dragging it back into the zip and then save the changes.

4. Copy the fix to your sdcard and flash using recovery and reboot.
    5. Once your ROM boots. Confirm the flash worked by checking the Lockscreen or Pulldown Bar. If the Carrier says "Cricket" the flash was successful.
    6. Goto Apps->Voice Dailer. Using the Voice Dailer and say "Open A-P-N". Choose "Open APN".
    - Note to users of JB 4.2: The voicer dailer is broken at the moment. To access the APN settings menu add a shortcut to your homescreen at Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->APNs. This option is not included in the stock Trebuchet launcher so download one from the app store. I recommend Apex.
    7. There should be two options: 45Value and 50Smart. There will be a small selection circle on the right side of each APN. Click this circle to set your APN depending on your plan. Once the circle highlights the APN is set.
    8. Open the APNs settings by clicking on the left side of the APN.
    9. Scroll down to "Username". If you didn't follow steps 1-3 change "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number.
    10. Click menu then hit save. Once its saved reboot the phone and everything should be set.

You can test MMS by opening up the messaging app and sending yourself a MMS. Sending may take awhile so don't worry if it's not working right away. Once it's sent you should receive a notification to download the MMS. If you are sure it's not working (freezes at Sending... or never downloads the MMS message) reflash the fix and then try again. Don't forget to check the APN is set properly (steps 6-10).

:Note to daily flashers:
    If you like to try out new ROMs (ie Nightlies, updates, etc.) I recommend following steps 1-3 as you will only have to do this once. Once you have MMS working if you want to update or change ROMs all you have to do is flash the new ROM then the fix. You shouldn't have to change anything in the APN menu as Android will save it for you. The settings will be passed to the new ROM as long as your old data is compatible.
    OP updated. Fixed KK apns and also some issues with detection of JB ROMS
    1-11-13 Switched to ParandoidAndroid 2.57 CM10 with FI25 modem and applied this fix as well the "Alternate carrier data fix" and everything is working great. Satisfied with the rom. Also thanks OP for the update on the Touchwiz Roms, I wish I knew that before hand and THANKS for this fix.
    Is there anyway to get MMS working on the Touchwiz based Rom's?

This is on a SPH-D710 E4GT, FYI for others

I actually may be able to get a working SecMms.apk. With your help I can add support for Touchwiz.
    Thank you for updating this!

My only issue is that I can't see any APNs after flashing this. All files seem to have successfully flashed and the build.prop was modified to cricket setting, but I have a black screen where I would normally select/modify APNs. I tried creating a new one but it didn't stick after reboot.

Thanks for any help!

Epic 4G Touch on 4.4.2 KitKat

Trolling from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I have a fix ready for this and will release it soon. KK updated the xml for apns. If you dont want to wait you can change it yourself. Just open the xml as stated in the OP for changing the config file (steps 1-3). Change "<apns version="7"> to <apns version="8">.
    @cornaljoe Do you mind updating this for 4.3 + . I use this on a lot of my customers phones as well as mine so 3g at least shows when I test builds even though my service is off. Btw how's it been ? Long time no see.

For android 4.3
    Go to tinyurl.com/cricketpics on phone & download app, use for cricket mms...

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk