Verizon force removing grandfathered "Unlimited Data"

Search This thread

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
I just have to say, I pay $30.00 for 2GB currently. I stream Spotify why at work all night 10pm-7am, with breaks of course when I get sick of music. Use facebook always why on my lunch or on the go, browse the web or check my e-mail. And in the four months I've had my phone have never even hit above 300MB, hell according to my bill I haven't even touched 1GB in the past four months total. I'll never understand how people can use up to 60GB in a few weeks. Makes no sense to me. Just like the Comcast data cap of 250GB, the highest with all my downloading from Steam and BT is only like 80-100GB monthly. (Gotta remember, Steam games can be up to 11GB)

I also turn off my 3G when it is not needed and use WiFi when at my house or at a friends that has wireless. Maybe I'm just smart with my usage? Haha.

You probably have wifi at your work and home so you aren't even using your cellular data. What if you commuted for two hours each day on a train? If you watched netflix and other streaming video every work day you would certainly use more than 1GB a month. You have to accept that not everyone works at your company or lives in your house. People's lifestyles vary. It doesn't mean any one persons lifestyle is more valid than someone elses.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
You probably have wifi at your work and home so you aren't even using your cellular data. What if you commuted for two hours each day on a train? If you watched netflix and other streaming video every work day you would certainly use more than 1GB a month. You have to accept that not everyone works at your company or lives in your house. People's lifestyles vary. It doesn't mean any one persons lifestyle is more valid than someone elses.

I agree. There is 100% NO WAY that he uses all that data and it still amounts to 300 MB. He'd have to be on Wifi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have posted this two months ago when I found out, but got lazy. The now $30 fee reminded me and I decided I should pass the info along. I had a conversation with:

Handsets, Product Distribution, Business
    Brenda Raney
    908-559-7518
    Brenda.Raney@VerizonWireless.com

This conversation was about the NFC blocking but I baited her with a comment and she responded by saying something along the lines of "Unlimited Data would no longer be an option on "Advanced" handsets released later this year (2012). When you upgrade to one of these new "Advanced" (IE Smartphone) you will have to give up your unlimited data plan and pick a paid package."

She would not tell me when it would happen, but said that Verizon was not under any obligation to continue to grandfather people with unlimited data. I fully expect this to happen as soon as Quad Core phones hit the market.

Just one more drop in the bucket. Removing unlimited data packages for new subscribers, removing early upgrades, every two discounts, blocking Google from releasing direct updates for developer devices like the Galaxy Nexus, and now the $30 upgrade fee.

No, I did not record the phone conversation but the removal of grandfathered unlimited data will happen, and sooner then later. Feel free to chalk it up to a rumor if you don't believe me but when it happens, don't say I didn't warn you.
    I love all the misinformation, conjecture, an the posting of a professional email, signs of the derogation of society.

Perhaps lack of education is actually what is leading to the "degradation" of society. Yes?

I really came in under the wire on this one. I upgraded about three months ago; still have my unlimited data. I never really understood why providers are simply eliminating unlimited plans rather than charging exorbitant amounts of money which plenty of people would pay.

I don't know. I am assuming they are idiots. A recent study came out illustrating unlimited customers were not using anymore data than the "capped" customers. The gist of the study was by eliminating tiers of service between 300mb and 3 gb they (the carriers) were forcing people onto 3gb plans to avoid overage fees. On at&t the 300mb plan costs $20. You go over you get charged $20 for the next 300mb. Now the 3gb plan costs $30. So why take chances? Get the 3gb plan. But now that a bunch of people are getting the 3gb plan they mean to use it. Instead of having a 800mb plan or a 1gb plan they forced people onto a 3gb plan. So now that people have paid for 3gb they mean to use 3gb which means the network takes an exponential hit. Now at&t is whining about excessive use. But there are far fewer unlimited plan users out there than new 3gb users.

I have a new unlimited plan. I doubt I'll go over 3gb in normal usage. I got the plan because through my company it costs the same as a 3gb plan. Honestly with a little common sense and restraint I doubt I would go over 300mb. But if I want to relax why not pay $10/month more? Well now you are on the 3gb plan and if you have it use it.

at&t's strategy makes no sense. The solution to their network woes is having a plan in between 300mm and 3gb. An order of magnitude?! Are you serious? They need to rework their price structure and bandwidth tiers. Hammering unlimited plan customers ain't gonna solve their problems.

Didn't someone higher up in VZW admit that they will throttle a phone that is a "data hog" if its on a "strained tower"?

I don't know, but to me that would make sense. If you are streaming tons of data on a lightly used LTE tower on a Sunday afternoon why should they throttle you? Most of my heavy data use does NOT occur during the business day. Data should be like minutes. If you are using it off peak and on a non-congested tower they should let you download away.

I'm sure LTE itself allows for more tower to phone traffic but what about from tower to the actual network?

That's the real question. We don't want to be gouged but at the same time carriers have costs. I would really love to know what the TRUE costs are. I think at&t should make a profit. I just don't think they should make an exorbitant profit. Plus I like things to make sense. $20 for unlimited text and $30 for "unlimited" data doesn't make sense. My text messaging puts zero strain on the at&t network. If I abused by unlimited data plan it would definitely make a dent... until throttling kicked in.

What if you commute an hour each way to and from work each day on a train, and want to watch HD video while doing so? That's 4000kbps lets say, 500kBps *60 sec * 60 min * 2 hr * 5 days a week * 4 wk/month / 1024kb/mb / 1024mb/gb= 68.66 GB a month just from daily video watching, not including any audio streaming at work or web browsing on weekends or on the go or other activities. I don't think I'd call that abuse, despite it being a lot of data.

You do realize with modern technology you can download video podcasts at night over wifi while your phone charges.

However given that I've had LTE for all of 4 days now and used 1.6GB and all I've done is load less than 10 youtube videos, do some basic web browsing, and run a lot of speed tests. I can easily see even a moderate user hitting 20GB/month without any excessive use let alone actual abuse.

The network should not be required to accommodate excessive "speed tests."

I have no plans of abusing at&t's network. But if I am on the road and I plug my phone in overnight I should be able to download all the latest podcasts with minimal hassle. I think that is a reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately at&t or Microsoft has denied that. They will not download podcasts over cellular even during off hours. So if I am on the road and it is midnight and I want to download a podcast for the next day I have to sign up for hotel wifi even if there is a 30 Mbits/sec unused LTE tower near by. Total technology fail.

Sorry buddy, while true networks are strained across all the major players in 3G, they are not in LTE. LTE allows for more throughput, more people using said data, and cost the networks a lot less to maintain and upgrade. This is an industry fact, reference Current Analytics. You'll need an account though.

I'm with you on that... till a point. Wait until the iphone LTE hits. Then tell me what is and is not "strained." If it's not strained then they should let us unlimited LTE guys download with impunity. If it's strained then some sensible temporary throttling makes sense in my opinion.
    1) It's a new video

2) I only did becuase he wanted speed test, so I gave him some.

3) your just mad that some one could have an issue with crap you have.

4) Before you ask: I have gone to both the FCC and the BBB. ( I did that yesterday and now will wait for there reply.)

Verizon is not slowing you down at all. You need to get your account rebuilt and your problems will go away. The same exact problem happened to a friend of mine who had 4 devices replaced. Now posting the same false info in every post is border line trolling and should earn you time in a corner :D
    I don't care if you guys disagree with me or insult or whatever you want for saying this, but you're ridiculous for using that much data on a mobile device. You are the reason carriers are switching to tiered plans, and you're the reason networks are strained and other users don't get adequate connections.
    Yeah. If everybody used 4GB on 3G, and continued using 4GB on 4G, then network quality and capacity would increase. But now there are these nutjobs that think it's totally normal to use 50GB, 60GB, 100GB "because the 4G is faster so I use more data". Data speed has nothing to do with what you use. You're tempted to use more data because the data is faster. Downloading a 700MB movie on 3G is the same thing as downloading a 700MB movie on 4G; it doesn't magically turn into 1.4GB.

Like I was saying earlier, my neighbor told that he will use his phone to download movies all night while he is sleeping.

I didn't really say much...I just thought to myself "it will be because of people like you I will lose my unlimited data."