[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 - Driver issues W7

Search This thread

pacificblue03

Apr 7, 2012
Ballina NSW
I have a Samsung galaxy s3 which is just about 2 weeks old, stock rom and not modded in any way, i have been able to connect it to pc and it would be fine and work, the past 2 - 3 days whichever pc i plug it into mine or another pc windows will say that the usb device is not recognized and does not install the driver i also cant access it in any way (from usb).

i need help with this i have no answers on Google and i need to access my phone to get music and stuff on it but we need to figure out why mtp or camera mode or usb debugging all do not work.

Thanks.

WestComputers

Jul 13, 2012
This may work:

After trying everything above except the factory reset, it occured to me that not only is the plain USB drive missing from the options when you connect this phone, but so is "Charge Only" which prior Andriod versions used.

After testing I found that if my phone was more than 85% full charge, it connected fine to the computer through both MTP and PTP. If below that, I might get the usb connection sound from the computer (sometimes not) (but always from the phone) and the S3 wouldn't show up in devices nor would it be available as a drive.

Is it possible that the S3 decides, on its own, that it's time for a nice drink of electricity, and totally ignores the fact that I'm plugging it in to do file transfers???

WestComputers

Jul 13, 2012
Two different sets of Problems

This is crazy, a device reset seems to be the only option. Quickly losing faith is Samsung, never had these issues with HTC..

I've gone back through the thread, and we seem to have two different sets of problems: One, the drivers never loaded correctly in the first place and you've NEVER been able to connect; two, some people connect once or twice but not always and not dependably.

I've done more research on the "not fully charged" post above, and found that if you've ever connected correctly, you may not connect if your charge is below some threshold, and that threshold seems to change based on what's running on the phone. Suggestion: First thing after a COMPLETE recharge of the phone (in a wall socket, NOT from the USB on the computer) connect to the computer. If you've every connected successfully before, you ought to be able to connect fully charged.

If you have never connected successfully, kill the existing Windows drivers (if there are any showing) and try the "fully charged" thing above to connect and install a fresh driver set.

slava7777777

May 2, 2008
Possible solution

I have tried various things and was about to give up. However here is what finally helped me.

0. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed. Download them manually or with help of Kies.
1. Connect a phone to a PC
2. Wait till driver installation fails.
3. Open the top system panel (dragging from the top of a screen) and select "Connected as a media device"
4. Check the "Camera (PTP)" box
5. Wait till Windows driver installation fails (btw it is going to be a different list of drivers)
6. Open the top system panel again and switch back to "Media device (MTP)" mode

After that all drivers were installed properly and surprisingly my phone has started working with all my PCs, not only the one where I got it working.

Slava

bjb6723

Sep 1, 2008
This just worked for me

Was having the same issue of I was able to connect my S3 to my PC with no issues and now I can't. Yesterday, I went to plug it in and recieved errors while it was trying to install drivers. I uninstalled the samsung USB driver, went to Samsung's website and downloaded the new one. Still no luck. Before factory resetting my phone (PITA), I turned it off, took the battery out and waited a few minutes. Put the battery back in and fired it up. When I plugged in the USB, my PC found it, installed the drivers and it works great! Hopefully this will work for others as well!

eskemobob

Aug 20, 2010
I have also tried all the things suggested in this thread, including the factory reset. This is my first Samsung smartphone and so far it has been more pain than its worth.. Any other suggestions would be helpful, I guess I'll keep huntng for a solution.

dephead2004

Jan 8, 2013
SGS3 USB Code 10

Thanks to all those who contributed here and elsewhere. Tried 'em all but just to add what worked for me:

Installed latest Kies to get Samsung USB driver.

Rejected Microsoft's USB Driver update.

Phone was recognised normally unless it was attached by USB cable when PC booted up. Then the dreaded Code 10 displayed.

To get round this I found advice from Samsung US here:

OK as I am too new to help others you will have to search for

YP-P2JCB MTP device cannot start code 10

It's a very easy fix and requires a line of text being typed into a Run as Administrator's command window.

Job done.

Reactions: jduke68

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Galaxy S3 drivers issue...resolved!

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 which is just about 2 weeks old, stock rom and not modded in any way, i have been able to connect it to pc and it would be fine and work, the past 2 - 3 days whichever pc i plug it into mine or another pc windows will say that the usb device is not recognized and does not install the driver i also cant access it in any way (from usb).

i need help with this i have no answers on Google and i need to access my phone to get music and stuff on it but we need to figure out why mtp or camera mode or usb debugging all do not work.

Thanks.

I had the same problem and could not figure out why...here is the deal:
    Prior to SGS3, I had the old Samsung Galaxy S/Vibrant and was using the USB cable which came with it...then I thought; maybe the USB cable in the box of GS3 is different or superior...i tried it and VOILA! it worked...so that is all I had to do...all these reboots and re-installing drivers was just a waste of time...PS> I am running Win 7 64bit
    USB Installed

Okay i am here to post results.

After a Factory data reset of the phone i had connected to my google account again and when i was done plugged the phone into the Computer, it said installing driver,

Samsung_Android...

and Well it now works, the phone fully connects via USB again so i hope people who have their S3 and have problems do what i have done but backup your data, pics and music first, then go to settings, backup & restore and click on factory data reset.

Antonio.
    USB Installed

Roc - please post your results as if 2 people had the same issue and both issues were solved with a factory data reset this could be a good guide for many others.

Antonio.
    SGS3 USB Code 10

Thanks to all those who contributed here and elsewhere. Tried 'em all but just to add what worked for me:

Installed latest Kies to get Samsung USB driver.

Rejected Microsoft's USB Driver update.

Phone was recognised normally unless it was attached by USB cable when PC booted up. Then the dreaded Code 10 displayed.

To get round this I found advice from Samsung US here:

OK as I am too new to help others you will have to search for

YP-P2JCB MTP device cannot start code 10

It's a very easy fix and requires a line of text being typed into a Run as Administrator's command window.

Job done.