[Q] How serious is the 'cracking' issue?

Search This thread

Sh4dovv

Apr 1, 2014
I am very keen on the Z2 as my first Sony phone but the reports I have read about Z1 phone screens randomly cracking on their own has me worried. How serious is this problem really?

Is this just the 0.1% of phones that the people are complaining about? Or is it more than that. I am assuming the screen used on the Z2 is the same as predecessors.

nikola1970

Feb 22, 2012
Screen on the Z2 is not the same as one on the Z1, and personally i think that cracking screen problem is weird, and i not believe it.

Reactions: abyruma

Sh4dovv

Apr 1, 2014
Screen on the Z2 is not the same as one on the Z1, and personally i think that cracking screen problem is weird, and i not believe it.

I know the technology behind the glass is different, but are you sure the glass itself is different?

9 page thread about the issue on Sony forums [cannot post links yet :(]

X

x102x96x

i

I am very keen on the Z2 as my first Sony phone but the reports I have read about Z1 phone screens randomly cracking on their own has me worried. How serious is this problem really?

Is this just the 0.1% of phones that the people are complaining about? Or is it more than that. I am assuming the screen used on the Z2 is the same as predecessors.

hehe yeah shatter proof screen will crack without ANY reason!
no reason but maybe some a**h*** sit on phone and then report nothing happened for warranty and etc.

think little bit logical! is it possible that a slim glass crack by itself without any reason? NO
so dragontile glass also won't crack by itself!

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Lol.....yeah, that'd be because.......
Tight fitting trousers + contour of wearers butt = phone being bent/twisted into shapes that Sony never intended = dumb s**t user damage.......
As far as I know, nobody has produced a flexible smartphone yet....lmao

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2

Howdoin

Apr 6, 2014
I never gave any credit to those rumors... Until today when the screen of my Z2 just cracked on me.
Phone was in my pocket, I left home for a walk and when I pulled the phone out of my pocket the backglass was completely cracked... I am positive that I did not hit anything or did anything unusual. Pretty passed that it happened to me on a week old phone which I got from Taiwan so no possibility to return/exchange under warranty (I am in the US).

numskull

Oct 19, 2010
Lol.....yeah, that'd be because.......
Tight fitting trousers + contour of wearers butt = phone being bent/twisted into shapes that Sony never intended = dumb s**t user damage.......
As far as I know, nobody has produced a flexible smartphone yet....lmao

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2

Ummmmm what about the lg flex???? Seriously tho, i wouldnt worry, i know its different glass but ive had a galaxy note for the last 2 years, lives in my back pocket, only damaged the screen once, damaged digitizer by throwing phone at wall, then broke lcd while attempting to remove the digitizer....... unless you're extremely heavy i doubt it'd be an issue

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I never gave any credit to those rumors... Until today when the screen of my Z2 just cracked on me.
Phone was in my pocket, I left home for a walk and when I pulled the phone out of my pocket the backglass was completely cracked... I am positive that I did not hit anything or did anything unusual. Pretty passed that it happened to me on a week old phone which I got from Taiwan so no possibility to return/exchange under warranty (I am in the US).

Sorry to hear that :( in which pocket did you have your phone ? :'(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Howdoin

Apr 6, 2014
Phone was in left front pocket of a loose fitting jeans. This is where I always keep my phone, have gone without problem for years with iPhone, Xperia S, Nokia Lumia 900... never had a problem. Back of phone is always facing outside.

I tend to have the phone there and keep my hands in my pocket when i walk - only thing I can see is that my hand put a little pressure on the back glass and caused the cracking as I am positive I did not it anything and never keep anything else but the phone in that pocket. This still seems to me like a design problem because there is no "unnatural" pressure or wrong use here for a cellphone. Back glass just cracked all over, there is no clear breaking point that would indicate a shock, just cracks on the entire surface of the back glass.

invision1

Apr 7, 2014

Do any seasoned Sony phone owners have any comments to make about this? I'm a long time iPhone user looking to pre-order the Z2 and since reading about one alleged self cracked Z2 screen here and countless self-bending and self-cracking Z1 screens on other forums, I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is cause for concern... Should we take these reports with a grain of salt ?

Siema89

Nov 19, 2013
Do any seasoned Sony phone owners have any comments to make about this? I'm a long time iPhone user looking to pre-order the Z2 and since reading about one alleged self cracked Z2 screen here and countless self-bending and self-cracking Z1 screens on other forums, I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is cause for concern... Should we take these reports with a grain of salt ?

It's the same thing as always. It's the usual 0.1%.
So far only one person reported cracked Z2 here (but posted it twice, once here and once in other thread, but it's still one cracked Z2).
Every phone has such "issues", the louder the launch (and more anticipated), the more such problems emerge.
See literally EVERY single iPhone launch: cracking, scratching, bending, twisting etc. and I have yet to see in person a single defected (out of the box) iPhone. At least that's my personal experience.

liqn7

Mar 25, 2010
It how Sony responds though which is the most concerning.

So far they've refused to acknowledge the problem and have denied warranty claims.

Whereas Apple will just straight out replace it.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
Phone was in left front pocket of a loose fitting jeans. This is where I always keep my phone, have gone without problem for years with iPhone, Xperia S, Nokia Lumia 900... never had a problem. Back of phone is always facing outside.

I tend to have the phone there and keep my hands in my pocket when i walk - only thing I can see is that my hand put a little pressure on the back glass and caused the cracking as I am positive I did not it anything and never keep anything else but the phone in that pocket. This still seems to me like a design problem because there is no "unnatural" pressure or wrong use here for a cellphone. Back glass just cracked all over, there is no clear breaking point that would indicate a shock, just cracks on the entire surface of the back glass.

Howdoin, take a picture and post here to get an idea of how this is cracked

n.v.vandenbergh

Dec 26, 2010
Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes! It happened to me!
I bought the Z2 a week ago. Never let it drop, always kept it in my left pocket with nothing else.

This morning I woke up and it had this super clean crack all over the backside of the phone...

Called Sony, they said I had to go to the shop where I bought it.
Went to the shop, they said it was not yet acknowledged by Sony so they can't do anything about it.

I'm a Galaxy user that just switched to Sony.... mistake? I think so!

Attachments

• 20140527_161956.jpg
    20140527_161956.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,925
  • 20140527_162131.jpg
    20140527_162131.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 1,922

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
Yes! It happened to me!
I bought the Z2 a week ago. Never let it drop, always kept it in my left pocket with nothing else.

This morning I woke up and it had this super clean crack all over the backside of the phone...

Called Sony, they said I had to go to the shop where I bought it.
Went to the shop, they said it was not yet acknowledged by Sony so they can't do anything about it.

I'm a Galaxy user that just switched to Sony.... mistake? I think so!

There was a sudden change in temperature?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's the same thing as always. It's the usual 0.1%.
    So far only one person reported cracked Z2 here (but posted it twice, once here and once in other thread, but it's still one cracked Z2).
    Every phone has such "issues", the louder the launch (and more anticipated), the more such problems emerge.
    See literally EVERY single iPhone launch: cracking, scratching, bending, twisting etc. and I have yet to see in person a single defected (out of the box) iPhone. At least that's my personal experience.
    You should really not worry about that "cracking" problem. :)
    Howdoin, take a picture and post here to get an idea of how this is cracked

Posted in the other thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709186&page=3
    these issues are caused by many things

when glass heats up then cools quickly it shatters or cracks

the Z2 processer is up against the glass on the inside, the cpu is a high temprature unit, it may be posible that the cold outside and the hot inside cause this

this is a device fault and im quite sure that under many warrenty policys your device can be replaced

take note this issue is batch spesific

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app