some quastion about this phone

Search This thread

pedyvirus

Nov 9, 2012
shiraz
hi all
after reading too much about this phone im really confused about some of things that i need to ask them from you guys
1-can s-off be blocked by htc?
2-what is hboot? is it down gradable ?
3-what are the most awful things about this phone ?
thank all of you guys

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
1) HTC could only block S-OFF by releasing a firmware update that patches the exploit used to gain S-OFF. Anyone who is not S-OFF already and updates, would not be able to use whatever method existed previously to S-OFF.

2) Hboot is technically just one file out of the firmware file package that makes up the bootloader screen and reports the firmware version number or hboot version number. This can get confusing because technically one could just flash or update an hboot, without updating the rest of the device firmware so, while the hboot version will show to be one version, the rest of the firmware files to match that hboot version may not actually be those pertaining to the hboot version projected. Hence, it is usually within best practice to update your hboot along with the rest of the firmware files that have been updated with that hboot version. It is common practice on XDA to refer to the entire group of firmware files from an hboot version as simply the hboot.

Typically updating one's hboot is done by flashing an HTC signed RUU or OTA. But can also be done by flashing the firmware.zip file contained within them respectively. It is important to note, if just flashing the firmware.zip files, they must be done sequentially or altered properly to contain all sequential updates otherwise one will brick and probably require JTAG.

3) After unlocking and modding my phone to my liking, I have not one complaint. This phone is everything I wanted in a phone when setting out to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: pedyvirus

pedyvirus

Nov 9, 2012
shiraz
i have 3 more quastions
1-what happens if i receive the phone after s-off is blocked. can devs make s-off again? can i downgrade and s-off my phone? (im going to buy a unlocked version)
2-can i s-off my phone again after flashing ruu and s-on?
3-will i lose s-off if htc fixes the bug and i update my phone?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
i have 3 more quastions
1-what happens if i receive the phone after s-off is blocked. can devs make s-off again? can i downgrade and s-off my phone? (im going to buy a unlocked version)

1) There is a good chance your phone will not come with any updated firmware if you order it in the near future. That being said, I am not a fortune teller..I have no idea if future updates will be able to achieve S-OFF should they be released.

2) Once you achieve S-OFF, it remains so until you manually force S-ON. If you force S-ON after updating to a firmware that cannot be exploited, you will not be able to get S-OFF until an exploit is found if one is found, however there is never any real good reason to S-ON unless you're trying to trick HTC into honoring the warranty you knew you were forgoing upon unlocking your bootloader.

3) see answer to 2.

*****EDIT*****

I felt I should add that money and or money and knowledge can get your phone S-OFF in just about any state assuming your hardware is working fine. A riff box and some knowhow or a JTAGG service if you don't have the knowhow can always put your phone in an S-OFF state.

Last edited:
Reactions: pedyvirus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) HTC could only block S-OFF by releasing a firmware update that patches the exploit used to gain S-OFF. Anyone who is not S-OFF already and updates, would not be able to use whatever method existed previously to S-OFF.

2) Hboot is technically just one file out of the firmware file package that makes up the bootloader screen and reports the firmware version number or hboot version number. This can get confusing because technically one could just flash or update an hboot, without updating the rest of the device firmware so, while the hboot version will show to be one version, the rest of the firmware files to match that hboot version may not actually be those pertaining to the hboot version projected. Hence, it is usually within best practice to update your hboot along with the rest of the firmware files that have been updated with that hboot version. It is common practice on XDA to refer to the entire group of firmware files from an hboot version as simply the hboot.

Typically updating one's hboot is done by flashing an HTC signed RUU or OTA. But can also be done by flashing the firmware.zip file contained within them respectively. It is important to note, if just flashing the firmware.zip files, they must be done sequentially or altered properly to contain all sequential updates otherwise one will brick and probably require JTAG.

3) After unlocking and modding my phone to my liking, I have not one complaint. This phone is everything I wanted in a phone when setting out to upgrade.

i have 3 more quastions

1) There is a good chance your phone will not come with any updated firmware if you order it in the near future. That being said, I am not a fortune teller..I have no idea if future updates will be able to achieve S-OFF should they be released.

2) Once you achieve S-OFF, it remains so until you manually force S-ON. If you force S-ON after updating to a firmware that cannot be exploited, you will not be able to get S-OFF until an exploit is found if one is found, however there is never any real good reason to S-ON unless you're trying to trick HTC into honoring the warranty you knew you were forgoing upon unlocking your bootloader.

3) see answer to 2.

*****EDIT*****

I felt I should add that money and or money and knowledge can get your phone S-OFF in just about any state assuming your hardware is working fine. A riff box and some knowhow or a JTAGG service if you don't have the knowhow can always put your phone in an S-OFF state.