Phone in USB Host Mode, Refuses To Charge [Fix]

Search This thread

KiamatDusk

Aug 31, 2010
This just happened to me, and after some searching here and elsewhere I found that it seems to be an unsettlingly common issue. What was worse is the only solutions anyone had was RMA/replacement. Well, I called HTC customer service and the woman I spoke to was very helpful

She told me that the charging mode may need to be reset and gave the following instructions.

1. Turn phone OFF
2. Let charge for AT LEAST 10mins even if it doesn't look like it's charging (mine DID show the new charging animation)
3. Press and hold POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN for AT LEAST 2mins. Anything less will not reset the charge mode.
4. After 2mins release the buttons and the phone should boot as normal.

My phone is now charging normally.

leventccc

Jan 31, 2011
Istanbul
Thanks for sharing, saved my device :) This info should be added to some sort of reference thread its very useful.

frankfitton

Jan 5, 2014
This just happened to me, and after some searching here and elsewhere I found that it seems to be an unsettlingly common issue. What was worse is the only solutions anyone had was RMA/replacement. Well, I called HTC customer service and the woman I spoke to was very helpful

She told me that the charging mode may need to be reset and gave the following instructions.

1. Turn phone OFF
2. Let charge for AT LEAST 10mins even if it doesn't look like it's charging (mine DID show the new charging animation)
3. Press and hold POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN for AT LEAST 2mins. Anything less will not reset the charge mode.

Is it supposed to be showing that HTC startup screen and like cycling through the beginning of an attempted reboot while I'm holding in the 3 buttons, or have I done it wrong every time?

leandroch

Nov 21, 2012
Some notification will appear on the screen?

I hold the 3 buttons, and htc one is restarting continuously. 2 minutes and 30 seconds

And it did not work, still only charging power off.

ferincr

Mar 24, 2008
Some notification will appear on the screen?

I hold the 3 buttons, and htc one is restarting continuously. 2 minutes and 30 seconds

And it did not work, still only charging power off.

Didn't work for me either.
I have to reboot to be able to charge with wall charger like it was before...
Thanks anyway:good:
I would put money down that the cause of this is those crappy usb ports my HD2 had exactly the same problem few years back and people realized it was the charging port getting rusted and shorting something in there causing the phone to act funny.
Time will tell...

Last edited:

Begeveljac

Jan 21, 2014
Help please

Hello mates, I have a question about my HTC One.
yesterday my home screen start to rotate like im on a website or something. i know this is not normal because i have for 6 months now and know that home screen canr rotate. It doesnt matter really if the rotate function is turned off or on.
And then it stops and everything is ok..and later on again.
I tried to reset my phone to factory and same thing after 20 min, but i noticed that happens after CAR app jumps out by itself without opening it.
And when i make a call i got speaker on automatically, like he thinks hes in a car mode. and i cant remove this app cause its custom built.
Also cant charge phone when in usb host mode appears often, then i reboot him and he charges.
I really dont know what can i do..anyone know something please help.

Thx in advance

Reactions: ppalochis

strategyboy

Jan 25, 2014
Charging fix.

I was having the same problem with charging my HTC One. I contacted HTC and they told me to do the following which worked:

Step 1: Power off the device
Step 2: Press the Power button to initiate booting sequence and wait for the HTC logo to appear on the screen
Step 3: Press and hold the Volume Down button until entering OS
Step 4: You will notice that the device vibrates briefly during this process
Step 5: ‘Safe Mode’ wording will appear on the bottom left of the screen to confirm that device has entered safe mode.

After this safe mode start I restarted normally and no longer have issues charging the phone.

Cheers.
B.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I was having the same problem with charging my HTC One. I contacted HTC and they told me to do the following which worked:

Step 2: Press the Power button to initiate booting sequence and wait for the HTC logo to appear on the screen
Step 5: ‘Safe Mode’ wording will appear on the bottom left of the screen to confirm that device has entered safe mode.

After this safe mode start I restarted normally and no longer have issues charging the phone.

Cheers.
B.

This info should be very useful! Many users are facing this issue. :fingers-crossed: tanks for sharing this

ferincr

Mar 24, 2008

Cheers.
B.
This one didn't work either (for me )...
I got it into Safe Mode and in SF didn't charge and after reboot not only lost settings and stuff but still got the USB Host mode error.
I guess I'll be returning to stock soon and try to send it for repair before warranty expires.
Thanks anyway...

Reactions: ssojyeti2

Mazaxist

Feb 19, 2014
I have the same exact issue - phone will not charge and I get error about usb host mode... So far this "somewhat" worked for me - I am able to charge phone anytime via wall charger > but unable to connect to USB / charge via USB.

1. Start charging via phone wall charger. ( it will not charge at this time )
2. Reboot Phone (press power and hold > reboot)
3. After reboot your phone should be charging just fine, but ONLY via wall charger.

If you try to charge via USB it will not work. If you try to charge it via wall charger after USB charge attempt - it will also not work anymore, you will need to complete steps 1-3 again....

obviously this is NOT a solution and i think I'm gonna send the phone to repairs....

bonus: to get data off phone, you can do steps 1-3 then use file manager to drop off files to a network share! I use ES File Explorer. Get your data off before sending it to repairs because they will 100% wipe all your ****. Customer service is pretty bad, they do not care about you or your data.

Davidos12

Mar 13, 2014
I have been suffering this issue on and off for the last 12 months on my HTC one. Usb host mode, car mode popping up, airplane mode, screen going between landscape and normal on home page.

Out of the blue my phone started charging normally again the other day but stopped again a few days later. Noticed the day it stopped I was charging overnight and had the alarm set. So though I'll try that again so switched phone off after setting alarm and plugged it in to charge. Phone woke up to start alarm and it was charging while switched on again.

Tried all the other solutions without success, will now not set alarm to go off while phone is charging.

Hope this helps some people.

mingocr83

Mar 6, 2010
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
This is a manufacturing issue. I had to send the phone for repairs to HTC, they changed the motherboard, a logic board and a flex cable. Phone now works perfectly and came with Hboot 1.56.

mwl1119

May 20, 2010
Cincinnati
My phone has not been charging correct for 2 days now. It only charges in boot loader mode using Samsung galaxy s4 charger. The HTC and Verizon chargers I have flicker charge in boot loader mode. I have tried everything I have read on here and on other sites with no luck. I am s-off and rooted with teamwin recovery but since I can't hook the phone up to a PC I can't s-on and unroot to try to see if I can do a warranty exchange via Verizon's extended warranty.

kalealex

Sep 28, 2011
Ontario
Only charging when off

1. Turn phone OFF

Tried doing this (and the other reboot, and safe mode, using different chargers,etc), to no avail... I am going to get the USB charge port fixed and see if that will do the trick. I'll update if it fixes it.

UPDATE: Phone died. Getting it checked out but through a regular place and not through HTC as that would take too long. I'll see what they determine to be the issue... Though it's not likely going to be a cheap fix...

UPDATE 2: Could not determine issue, and can't send into HTC as it is not under the 1 year warranty anymore. Tried contacting HTC Canada, still haven't got back to me. Phone is done as far as I'm concerned; I realize now that HTC uses the bulk of their precision work on the exterior and beauty is skin deep because this is pathetic if multiple people are having this issue. Got a Nexus 5 instead.

Last edited:

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
EDIT
Problem solved

I just started having this issue today.

~VZW~[viperROM] ~2.0~ |Sense 5.5| ★★FLY KERNEL★★ *OneMAX*

Last edited:

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
Tried doing this (and the other reboot, and safe mode, using different chargers,etc), to no avail... I am going to get the USB charge port fixed and see if that will do the trick. I'll update if it fixes it.

UPDATE: Phone died. Getting it checked out but through a regular place and not through HTC as that would take too long. I'll see what they determine to be the issue... Though it's not likely going to be a cheap fix...

UPDATE 2: Could not determine issue, and can't send into HTC as it is not under the 1 year warranty anymore. Tried contacting HTC Canada, still haven't got back to me. Phone is done as far as I'm concerned; I realize now that HTC uses the bulk of their precision work on the exterior and beauty is skin deep because this is pathetic if multiple people are having this issue. Got a Nexus 5 instead.

Worked for me.

~VZW~[viperROM] ~2.0~ |Sense 5.5| ★★FLY KERNEL★★ *OneMAX*

rosickness12

Jun 9, 2014
Still Charges

I've been getting a notification with an explanation mark saying the phone will not charge and is in USB Host Mode. This message comes randomly. I haven't had an issue charging the phone but don't think I've tried while the message is up. I just close the message and it may come up a few hours later. Like I said, phone seems to work fine and has charged the few times since getting the phone 3 days ago.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Turn phone OFF

Charging fix.

Cheers.
    B.
    Help please

Hello mates, I have a question about my HTC One.
    yesterday my home screen start to rotate like im on a website or something. i know this is not normal because i have for 6 months now and know that home screen canr rotate. It doesnt matter really if the rotate function is turned off or on.
    And then it stops and everything is ok..and later on again.
    I tried to reset my phone to factory and same thing after 20 min, but i noticed that happens after CAR app jumps out by itself without opening it.
    And when i make a call i got speaker on automatically, like he thinks hes in a car mode. and i cant remove this app cause its custom built.
    Also cant charge phone when in usb host mode appears often, then i reboot him and he charges.
    I really dont know what can i do..anyone know something please help.

Thx in advance

Cheers.
    B.
    This one didn't work either (for me )...
    I got it into Safe Mode and in SF didn't charge and after reboot not only lost settings and stuff but still got the USB Host mode error.
    I guess I'll be returning to stock soon and try to send it for repair before warranty expires.
    Thanks anyway...
    this dosent work for me (htc one max )
    i don't know what i do i change the charger but the phone still not charge
    any help???
    Wonder why it didn't work for you. My device done the same thing as yours did and I followed the same directions that you did and it worked for me, just gotta make sure you follow the directions to a tee and read read then re-read again to make sure you understand what's needed, that's what I had to do, then I finally got it fixxed on the 2nd attempt. If you've only tried once or twice keep trying a few more times. Hope you get the charging problem fixxed...