[SUCCESS] Odin backflash to MJ9 from updated ND3 to regain root

Search This thread

gee1000

Jun 9, 2011
I just wanted to confirm that you can Odin back to MJ9 4.3 from the newest ND3 4.3 to regain root. This is for 4.3 bootlocked GN2s ONLY. It was quite painless actually, all my data was as it was before. I backed up to the internal memory using Helium just in case (since I lost root), but I was able use saferoot without issue and am now back to rooted.

I had used Kingo before to root, so I am actually glad to use saferoot this time since I am planning to install SafeStrap and flash N3BULA over stock soon.

Last edited:

MrFleming007

May 15, 2014
I just wanted to confirm that you can Odin back to MJ9 4.3 from the newest ND3 4.3 to regain root. This is for 4.3 bootlocked GN2s ONLY. It was quite painless actually, all my data was as it was before. I backed up to the internal memory using Helium just in case (since I lost root), but I was able use saferoot without issue and am now back to rooted.

I had used Kingo before to root, so I am actually glad to use saferoot this time since I am planning to install SafeStrap and flash N3BULA over stock soon.

Confirmed. Just ODIN'd back to MJ3 from the VRUAND3 update and regained root using Saferoot.

Last edited:

mrraya

Dec 12, 2012
seriously whaaat can u post the needed files and step by step directions ive never used odin before

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Ostate24

Oct 11, 2010
Toledo
Can also confirm working for me and rooted also. Does anyone know how we can stop the OTA notification or do we just ignore it?

thebat1

Oct 27, 2010
Regain root, ND3 question,Correct MJ9, ODIN7

This is what I have been looking for except it says to "REGAIN" root.. I have never had it (ROOT) to start with.. So will this still work?
and
where do I get the correct MJ9 since I did not get it off my phone before I lost it.?? :( or am I ODIN back to out of the box state which is VRALJB?

Odin 7 or Odin 9
I have read ODIN7 ? but Odin9 is newest as far as I can tell...want to double check.

thanks so much!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-05-16-14-03-24.png
    Screenshots_2014-05-16-14-03-24.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:

gee1000

Jun 9, 2011
seriously whaaat can u post the needed files and step by step directions ive never used odin before

This is what I have been looking for except it says to "REGAIN" root.. I have never had it (ROOT) to start with.. So will this still work?
and
where do I get the correct MJ9 since I did not get it off my phone before I lost it.?? :( or am I ODIN back to out of the box state which is VRALJB?

Odin 7 or Odin 9
I have read ODIN7 ? but Odin9 is newest as far as I can tell...want to double check.

thanks so much!!!!

thebat1, since I am assuming you are on bootlocked ND3 from your screenshot, you will mess up/brick your phone trying to flash VRALJB. You can only go back to MJ9 at this point. The thread I used which is the same posted by iooooooc -- http://xdaforums.com/show...4207&nocache=1 says "4.1.1 VRALJB- http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased your device within the first month of release and never took the OTA update, DO NOT use this)".

I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if you rooted under MJ9 or not. I was able to Odin without root and I wouldn't see why not being rooted when on MJ9 would not enable you to use Odin (since the whole point of Odin is to flash Samsung phones). I'd make a Helium backup just in case though.

You can read the thread I linked and posted by iooooooc to find out how to reflash. It's the same one I used. It has links to Odin and the MJ9 firmware (look for "VRUEMJ9 4.3" with the warning "ONLY USE THIS IF YOU TOOK THE 4.3 OTA!!") and the PIT file you'll need.

You can also read about and get links to all flavors of Odin (you need v3.07 for the VZ Note II) here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/themes-apps/27-08-2013-odin-3-09-odin-1-85-versions-t2189539

Finally, to root, here's the main thread for Saferoot: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

Everything I read is pretty straightforward.

I also haven't received any notification to upgrade back even though I haven't used the .bak renaming method which is interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: budwdale8jr

dbalman

Sep 27, 2007
Worked Here Too!

I decided to bite-the-bullet after reading your post, and all I had to do was re-root as well. All said and done it took me 30 minutes tops to have my phone back. I also used Kingo last time, but after ND3, the version of Kingo I used to root MJ9 didn't recognize the phone and the latest version was so full of dire warnings I immediately aborted.

Thanks guys!

Skilover

Jan 25, 2008
I decided to bite-the-bullet after reading your post, and all I had to do was re-root as well. All said and done it took me 30 minutes tops to have my phone back. I also used Kingo last time, but after ND3, the version of Kingo I used to root MJ9 didn't recognize the phone and the latest version was so full of dire warnings I immediately aborted.

Thanks guys!

I just received a replacement for my broken Note 2, which I previously had rooted with N3bula. To root my old phone, given it came with 4.1, I just had to Odin the MJ9 files, and then flash N3bula with TWRP . When I got my replacement, it updated to ND3 before I realized what was going on. Does anyone know what files I actually need to flash to get back to MJ9 from ND3? I found a file called I605VRUEMJ9.tar on one of the links posted recently. Since the actual ROM on the phone is the stock 4.3 rom, I assume I don't need to worry about system.img. I don't know about boot.img, cache.img, recovery.img, sboot.bin. I am confident I should flash tz.img, modem.bin, hidden.img.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Is there a particular reason you wish to use safestrap rather than continuing to use Kingo? Is Kingo not working?
Thx!!

Reactions: mwinschel

Skilover

Jan 25, 2008
Worked great!!!! Thanks for the links guys!!!

thebat1, since I am assuming you are on bootlocked ND3 from your screenshot, you will mess up/brick your phone trying to flash VRALJB. You can only go back to MJ9 at this point. The thread I used which is the same posted by iooooooc -- http://xdaforums.com/show...4207&nocache=1 says "4.1.1 VRALJB- http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased your device within the first month of release and never took the OTA update, DO NOT use this)".

Neither of those links are good.

Thanks!!

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
@Skilover

If you go to Droidstyle's guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34891181 , and then go to section 1b of the guide, you can revert back to MJ9 by following the guide's instructions. You'll want to use the stock file for (VRUEMJ9 4.3) if you're wanting to revert back from ND3.

After you get back to MJ9, you can get root access with saferoot..... Here's the link to saferoot-- http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=48392009

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Tangescence

Tangescence

May 28, 2014
El Paso
Amazing..WTG, XDA!

New user here. Been reading a bunch of posts lately as I finally got around to trying to root my SCH-1605, which I have through VZW. For a long time, my big concern was interference on the VZW side. Finally, warranties expired and the urge peaked... just in time for the ND3 OTA update. I tried a couple of methods I found - no success. Finally stumbled on some threads that basically said - ND3 = Out of Luck.

Then I found this post.. :victory:
Truly awesome. Worked like a charm. Looking up good info on locking down the OTA pushes next.

My observations of the differences between my previous attempts and what was missing:

My first attempts:

I neglected to include the 16GB PIT file referenced in the links above (** Note: a few guides I popped across mentioned making sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked. When you include the PIT file, it will auto-check "Re-Partition". I left this checked, and it worked like a charm. Can't speak as to the offset of UNchecking this, as - like I said - I left it checked)

I used a different .md5 file that would flag as a fail despite my efforts (I was using a CF autoroot md5). I'm fairly certain this failed due to the OTA update, though it may have been the lack of a PIT file. If someone could provide some more info there, I'm totally open to listen!

Bottom line - my experience was pretty painless after doing adequate research. Thanks a ton! :highfive:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also came across some info stating that the downgrade to the MJ firmware might flag the KNOX (I believe?) or a similar issue. Anyone run across any of those issues using these methods? If someone has a quick link to how I could check this for myself, I'd be very appreciative.

Tangescence

May 28, 2014
El Paso
Knox warranty void: 0

Confirmed. The flashback left KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0
Lists as Samsung Official Binary with a System Status of Custom.

Looks good!

I know this is a bit of a side tangent, but safestrap should work with MJ9 and saferoot to allow custom ROMs despite the locked bootloader - right?

Again, many thanks to the community!

:D

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
Right, safestrap was designed to be used for people with the locked bootloader on a rooted MJ9. Here is the safestrap thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51616723

I don't know a lot about safestrap, but I believe the ROM slots are not working yet so you'll have to install a custom Rom over the stock ROM if you want to use it. You'll have to do more research to make sure you know how to use it if you want to give it a go. :)

Reactions: Tangescence

Tangescence

May 28, 2014
El Paso
Right, safestrap was designed to be used for people with the locked bootloader on a rooted MJ9. Here is the safestrap thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51616723

I don't know a lot about safestrap, but I believe the ROM slots are not working yet so you'll have to install a custom Rom over the stock ROM if you want to use it. You'll have to do more research to make sure you know how to use it if you want to give it a go. :)

Awesome - I'll be researching it tonight and tomorrow. Will post to the safestrap thread with my results and probably a heads up here to redirect. Again, tons of thanks!

Jpark2479

May 29, 2014
Confirmed working

My Verizon Note 2 broke so under warranty I got a replacement device with the latest VRUAND3 build installed. It literally drove me nuts because I was so used to having the advantage of a rooted device with the bootloader unlocked. After doing some research, I came across the information on this thread and it helped me with having at least root access which allows me to take advantage of my Titanium Backup and other apps tailored to rooted devices.

Thank you very much for this post. I hope the devs will one up on Verizon and give the community the ability to have a unlocked bootloader soon. I like the connection speed and coverage with Verizon but their method of controlling how their customers use their devices is just annoying. I paid good money for this phone Verizon! I'm going to do what I wish to do with it to make it unique and personal to me. They just don't seem to understand that. Once again... Thanks. ROOT 4TW!

I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if you rooted under MJ9 or not. I was able to Odin without root and I wouldn't see why not being rooted when on MJ9 would not enable you to use Odin (since the whole point of Odin is to flash Samsung phones). I'd make a Helium backup just in case though.

You can read the thread I linked and posted by iooooooc to find out how to reflash. It's the same one I used. It has links to Odin and the MJ9 firmware (look for "VRUEMJ9 4.3" with the warning "ONLY USE THIS IF YOU TOOK THE 4.3 OTA!!") and the PIT file you'll need.

You can also read about and get links to all flavors of Odin (you need v3.07 for the VZ Note II) here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/themes-apps/27-08-2013-odin-3-09-odin-1-85-versions-t2189539

Finally, to root, here's the main thread for Saferoot: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

I also haven't received any notification to upgrade back even though I haven't used the .bak renaming method which is interesting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207&nocache=1

Be sure to thank @droidstyle for taking the time to make this guide
    stop the ota notification note 2

Can also confirm working for me and rooted also. Does anyone know how we can stop the OTA notification or do we just ignore it?

Change
    FWupgrade.apk to FWupgrade.bak
    SDM.apk to SDM.bak

I am not allow to post a link at this time so do a search on "stop the ota notification note 2"

and

Odin 7 or Odin 9

thanks so much!!!!

Thanks guys!

I just received a replacement for my broken Note 2, which I previously had rooted with N3bula. To root my old phone, given it came with 4.1, I just had to Odin the MJ9 files, and then flash N3bula with TWRP . When I got my replacement, it updated to ND3 before I realized what was going on. Does anyone know what files I actually need to flash to get back to MJ9 from ND3? I found a file called I605VRUEMJ9.tar on one of the links posted recently. Since the actual ROM on the phone is the stock 4.3 rom, I assume I don't need to worry about system.img. I don't know about boot.img, cache.img, recovery.img, sboot.bin. I am confident I should flash tz.img, modem.bin, hidden.img.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Is there a particular reason you wish to use safestrap rather than continuing to use Kingo? Is Kingo not working?
    Thx!!